Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
400 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6198582277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Reservations Recommended; Thanksgiving - Closed; Christmas Eve - 5-8pm; Christmas Day - Closed; New Years Eve - 5-11pm; New Years Day - 5-11pm Easter sunday - 12pm -8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sean Langlais
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego
Holiday Parties at the Oceanaire - An uncommonly tasteful affair. Call for reservations. As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including steak-cut Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole or bluefin tuna. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire. See you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (135)romantic (90)fit for foodies (72)notable wine list (62)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (27)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OverpricedsanmonDined on 8/18/2014Very expensive for average quality prepared halibut. Over cooked and smothered in a Parmesan sauce. Service above reproach.
- Terrible service !!!UlysesRiveraDined on 8/16/2014I took friends for a second time but we felt we were not welcome. The waitress was terrible. We felt that we were in a sales speech rather than in a good restaurant. She felt that our orders were not expensive enough so she didn't pay attention to our table. I will never go back there again!!
- Date Night w my wife and IMoJiggersDined on 8/12/2014In San Diego for a conference, wanted a romantic evening of good seafood and this place fit the bill. The waiter seemed a little rushed, and couldn't answer a couple of basic questions about the wine list (I assumed a place like this would have a sommelier, but it didn't), but he was attentive and didn't ignore us. I was disappointed that they didn't have crab legs that night, but there were a lot of other good choices. The place had a cool, sleek design, reminiscent of dining on a fancy yatch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebratedbronzed2Dined on 8/9/2014Awesome experience for daughters 21 birthday celebration. Excellent food choices for those who do not eat seafood (allergies). 20 oz ribeye was exceptional. side dishes tasted homemade; sour cream mashed potatoes and green beans sauteed with garlic and whole almonds. Coctails were tasty and strong enough do when ice melted you still had a tasty beverage. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedKevinHayfordVIPDined on 8/7/2014We eat at Oceanaire often and unfortunately this time we were disappointed. The crab cakes which are always delicious were soggy and tasteless. I ordered the coho salmon and it was way over cooked, dry and full of bones. While this visit was not up to par, we will return to make sure that it was just a onetime issue.
- 85th BirthdayDennyDined on 8/6/2014Took my father in law to Oceanaire Seafood Room to celebrate his 85th birthday. Service and food were excellent. They presented him with a copy of the menu on which " Happy 85th Birthday" was printed on the top. Very nice touch. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishKinLIDined on 8/2/2014the menu here is ever changing and based on great fresh ingredients - went here for a special ocaision and it was a great night! good food, wine list and great service.Special Features:
- Excellent + Nice TouchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014In addition to the amazing food, it was an overall wonderful experience. This was a group dinner to celebrate an anniversary+ birthday and Oceanaire had specialized menus commemorating the celebration-- a very nice touch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014It was highly recommend for me to go try this place out. Started out happy hour at the bar and the food and service was excellent. As we moved into dinning room, we ordered a steak cooked medium and the halibut. Steak came out med-well, fish still raw and cold in the center. Server took our food back and brought my steak back saying it is prep med. I sliced it all up and it's even worst. It's well done. Never had a server take food away and brought it back to tell me that I'm wrong. Very disappointed. I would not recommend dinning there to anyone. Only happy hour.
- Oceanaire excellenceSchmoesKnowMoviesandFood1Dined on 7/26/2014Had to plan a somewhat last minute big group dinner during San Diego Comic-Con on a Saturday and OpenTable and The Oceanaire Seafood Room were a winning team to make it happen. Dinner was great. Noah at Oceanaire was a great, professional server that helped facilitate a smooth "big group" dinner. The General Manager Phil placed a courtesy follow-up call to me the next day to make sure we had a great time. We will definitely make this spot a yearly tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightReneeDined on 7/26/2014Date night with my hubby at oceaniare was fun! We enjoyed our appetizers and dinner. I think it was a little bit over priced and I also think the Valle parking was expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston Oceonaire is betterMErcyMEDined on 7/26/2014The food was nicely done but no big kick . Wine list good and the seafood relatively fresh but I think was expensive overall for something that is only good, not great. Compared to Boston Oceonaire, i would not go back to the one in San Diego if I had to choose another Oceonaire restaurant. One thing was the Baked Alaskan, they brought to the table with the flames nearly gone already. The one in Boston, they dont put flames on it yet till it's on your table, the server said the policy is different and the two are competing.Special Features:
- Love this placeTheHubVIPDined on 7/22/2014I have dinned at Ocean Air Seafood several times and I have always had great meals. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. I love the whole fish (Angry) very moist, great flavor with some kick! My other favorite is the Yellow Tail (Dynamite). Great place I will definitely dine again.Special Features:
- Gas Lamp Seafood ExtravaganzaTimCVIPDined on 7/21/2014We ordered the chilled seafood sampler for two as an appetizer....OMG. It was presented beautifully...really made a statement, and folks at other table kept looking at it. It was a very generous sampling of shrimp, oysters, crab legs and lobster....with a large assortment of sauces. You could make a meal of it. Our scallop entrees where great, but we were so full we had to take have of them home. A nice selection of wines by the glass complemented each course.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent. Reasonable prices. Everyone was so friendly and knowledgeable about the food. You never had to ask for anything because they were on top of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OceanaireBigdaveDined on 7/19/2014An excellent menu; professional service and a solid wine list all you would expect from a top tier restaurant. Crab cakes with a healthy portion of crab and sweet tender scallops. The only glitch was the lobster which was a little under cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Dinner & a Special CrowdStampwifeDined on 7/18/2014This was my second visit to Oceanaire. The first time it was a weeknight and the restaurant wasn't crowded. The second time it was a Friday night and they were having an advertised special - 2 lb lobsters at a good price - and the place was packed and noisy. The visit started with a long wait. Despite the expected busy, there was only one poor valet who probably ran a marathon before the night was over. Our reservation was honored and we were seated promptly. The service was decent, but the lobster was overcooked. The people next to us complained and sent theirs back. We enjoyed ours, but it was a but chewy. Appetizer portions are small, dessert portions are large. It remains an expensive place to eat if you like fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two lb. Lobster DealpokerdonnaDined on 7/18/2014I must say I was excited to get this deal it is not often that I indulge in lobster due to the high price. But this deal was quantity, the quality was a bit dissappointing as it was tough and chewy. With that being said the service was excellent I would love to go back and try again!Special Features:
- ExcellentGreatVIPDined on 7/15/2014As a downtown infrequent diner, this is a great place when downtown is required. They have valet parking, an attentive maître d , excellent selections, attentive waiters and really excellent dining choices. Very few fish restaurants have the meat selections offered here if you really don't want fish. The side dishes are excellent as well. We use this whenever we need to meet a visitor downtown.Special Features:
- Great experience!fredmarianneDined on 7/13/2014Our trip from Phoenix would not have been complete without dinner at the Oceanside Seafood Room. The oyster selections (4) were wonderful. We had one of each with pre-dinner wine. Mussels were our appetizers. Delicious and fresh. Wife had Chesapeak Bay crabcakes and loved them. I had the Alaskan King Salmon. We savoured every bite! Sides were mashed potatoes, green beans, and asparagus; all perfectly prepared. Desert was a complimentary Baked Alaska (it was my wifes' birthday). Our server, Eric, was outstanding. He made our evening one to always remember. This was our first visit. And yes, we'll be returning to the Oceanside on our next trip to San Diego!Special Features:
- Excellent San Diego SeafoodJDRLVVIPDined on 7/12/2014A family dinner with good seafood and wine led us to try Oceanside. We were not disappointed. The multiple types of fresh oysters were great. The shrimp grits appetizer rivaled anything I have tasted in New Orleans. All the fish courses were unique and wonderfully fresh and tasty. The wine list was extensive and complimented the meals perfectly. Service was impeccable. A great night and enjoyed by the whole family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Seafood SeafoodChenVIPDined on 7/10/2014Oceanaire Seafood Room is the restaurant I will go every time when I visit San Diego. Cant miss the oyster there. The scallop tasted so good. Also the No 1 favorite food there is crab!!Special Features:
- ScooterDined on 7/6/2014Service was good but the food was uninspiring. Expected a lot more given the prices. Very expensive. Key lime pie was excellent and the highlight. No whole fish selections and only three fresh fish choices. I was frankly disappointed as I had a really good meal 3 months ago.
- Great experienceHappycoupleDined on 7/6/2014The waiters and staff made the night unforgettably. Good food and great atmosphere looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OceanaireOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014A wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. Our seafood was fresh and cooked to perfection. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised with baked Alaska for dessert to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary. The staff's attention to detail was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Evening!OCDinerDined on 7/4/2014This was our first time at the Oceanaire, but certainly not our last. It was one of our most enjoyable meals in a long time. The atmosphere, the service, the drinks and the food were all top notch. We were celebrating my husbands' birthday and we ordered numerous sides to compliment our fish selections. Everything was excellent. It was truly a memorable evening and we plan to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningMiketayasDined on 7/2/2014Great food backed up by friendly knowledgable staffSpecial Features:
- Special Occasion SpotChicSGDined on 7/2/2014Excellant choice for special occasion dining. Food and service are above par with seafood always cooked perfectly. You are able to make a meal with just an appetizer and salad or go all out if you have a big appetite. Occasional specials are noteworthy. Great Happy Hour menu for a tasty after work bite and cocktail.Special Features:
- Good dinner, good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014My wife and I dined here for a special dinner on our last night in San Diego. Overall, we had a very lovely dinner with good food and acceptable service. Our waiter seemed to be more attentive to other tables and often would start walking away while I was finishing an answer to a question he asked us. We felt a bit like he had better things to do than be our waiter. Our food was very good for the most part. Seafood salad was exceptional, as was the Mixed Seafood Grill, with one complaint. The scallop portion of our plate was clearly cut in thirds, even fourths, being mere cross sections of a scallop, while the menu price was higher than we felt appropriate. Again, good restaurant, good atmosphere, just several things holding it back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner.DiningfromArizonaDined on 6/30/2014Service was excellent. Food was fantastic. Crab cakes were the best we had ever had. Oysters wonderful. Fish dishes were perfectly done. Brussel Sprouts were excellent.Special Features:
- A Total Team Effort!Warren4BrendaDined on 6/30/2014I made our reservation on line. I ended my email message with, "Looking for a wonderful fish dinner on our 30th Anniversary." When we arrived, everyone that we encountered wished up a Happy Anniversary! The food was outstanding as was the service. A bit more expensive than I am used to but I guess you get what you pay for. At the end of the meal, the waiter said, "Wait something else is coming!" He brought a large plate with the most beautiful Flaming Baked Alaskan dessert. This was not requested and was done totally by the restaurant. At the top of the personalized menu was a special greeting, "Happy 30th Anniversary!" in one inch letters. This restaurant truly knows how to make their guests feel very special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great ServicekitkatDined on 6/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Oceaniare. The service was exceptional as was the food. I had the Black & Blue Yellowfin and my husband had the bone-in ribeye. We shared the potatoes au gratin and each had a salad. The wine the server recommended for me was perfect. The atmosphere is fancy without being stuffy or oppressive - perfect for San Diego. Can't afford to eat there often, even with $50 in gift cards we spent over $100 but for a special occasion I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Our 11th Wedding AnniversaryIlikegoodfoodDined on 6/28/2014The night before our reservation they called to confirm and asked if we were celebrating anything, we happened to be celebrating our wedding anniversary. So they printed us special menues that said "Happy 11th Anniversary" and offered us a free dessert!! I ordered the Boston Scallops with the blue crab Louie enhancement and it was amazing, my husbands black and blue Ahi Tuna was also delicious!! We tried the crab cake and clam chowder for the appetizers they were really good and the free dessert was a cookies and cream baked Alaska! It was just a really good dinning experience and we plan to be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hosting friends from out of town.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Server was new, and in our opinion was not ready to be on his own. Other than that food and wine were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointed!katy101VIPDined on 6/27/2014We had reservations at 7:00 on a Friday night. Restaurant wasn't busy at all but our waiter wanted us In and Out! Not sure if he was on something but we had to ask him twice what his name was (Noah) because he was talking so fast! He gave us 2 minutes to decide what to order and we hadn't even looked at the menu---long story short we were done dining and out of there in 55 minutes! Never been so rushed in a restaurant. I had shrimp scampi, shrimp were overcooked and pasta swimming in lemon juice. Brussel sprouts were so over cooked they weren't even whole and cooked with chunks of fatty bacon so you couldn't tell if you were eating bacon or sprout. Halibut was good but 2 entrees, 2 glasses of wine & sprouts was $200. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Great placeJd42Dined on 6/27/2014You can't go wrong here or with any item on the menu. Reception and service is top notch. A must go to location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!AwesomeDined on 6/26/2014My wife and I always celebrating our wedding Anniversary here and the service and food are to died for!!! Thank youSpecial Features:
- guitarichVIPDined on 6/26/2014Food was fantastic and the service was paced perfectly. My waiter addressed me by name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for business dinneriZenDiegoVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great service, top notch seafood, excellent matched wine list. Always consistent, food comes out timed perfectly, wait staff always ready to help but consistency knows how to stay back and watch the pace of the patrons, and not interrupt too often. Especially important for conducting business. I had an absolutely delicious piece of grilled salmon (King).Special Features:
- Another Happy CustomerPeterDined on 6/22/2014Oceanaire never lets us down. Fabulous service, lovely atmosphere, superb dishes and an overall A+ experience each time - and this visit was no exception,Special Features: