Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
50 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6123332277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Wholfiel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
395 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (295)fit for foodies (171)romantic (147)notable wine list (115)good for groups (79)hot spot (63)vibrant bar scene (45)great for lunch (36)late-night find (26)neighborhood gem (24)great for outdoor dining (22)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (7)scenic view (6)Show More
- Need to train the wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014They serve wine by bringing a fresh glass, then pouring the wine from individual decanters. My wife ordered a 2nd glass (different type) of wine. The waiter brought a fresh glass first, then returned with the decanter. He started to pour it into the dirty glass and we stopped him after he had poured about 1 oz of wine into the used glass. His response was to pour the wine from the dirty glass into the fresh glass! We were speechless as he then poured the remaining wine from the decanter. My wife told him she didn't think that was right and wanted a fresh pour. He gave attitude, took the glass away, and returned with a pre-poured glass of wine (maybe the same glass for all we know). For a $150 dinner I think it is OK to expect better.Special Features:
- Off a little this particular nightrobertDined on 9/26/2014Oceanaire is great, food is usually amazing. A little watch out this time. Had the surf and turf and is was average... Have had a lot better there and other places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinkslizlovestoeatVIPDined on 9/22/2014They have a kids menu. Bonus! They have a great wine list (although the markup is crazy!), they have excellent seafood choices. I wish their side portions were smaller and slightly cheaper so I could order more than 1 as my meal and I wish they had a vegetarian pasta choice. Our food was unusually slow but our waiter gave us a free dessert to make up for it so I appreciate that. We eat here every year on my mom's birthday and often throughout the year so, we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our seafood restraurantJimWVIPDined on 9/20/2014We love coming here. Food and service is always great! Great staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Blastdelicious61Dined on 9/20/2014This was a surprise birthday celebration for my boyfriend and he was impressed with the food, service and the special surprise with his name on the menu that said Happy Birthday Jerome! Definitely five star restaurant.Special Features:
- Birthday/ AnniversaryJennHBDined on 9/20/2014We were there to celebrate two birthdays and an anniversary. I had requested a booth and was disappointed to be seated in a booth in the bar, but they accommodated us by seating us in the dining room when we voiced our disappointment. I would think that if someone requests a booth with a reservation, that they should not be seated in the bar. Anyway, we ended up with a great table; our server was helpful and knowledgeable if a little sarcastic at times. I was impressed with the personalized menus reading "Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday, and the food was really quite exceptional. Of course the atmosphere was amazing as always. We were also surprised to receive a free dessert, baked Alaska, and the presentation was fantastic!Special Features:
- One of top 5 in MinneapolisSeniordadDined on 9/20/2014Beautiful room, extremely attentive service, very tasty food. Also, expensive and will need to be weighed by many as whether it is affordable. 3 drinks, 1 cup of soup, 1 salad, two entrees, one side of mashed potatoes and a desert were more than $150.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServicedisappointedDined on 9/19/2014Waited 15 minutes before being seen by our server "Nat." Took 1 hour for our appetizer to come. Entree order not taken till after we finished our appetizer. 40 minutes later our entrees came. My husband had steak and lobster. The steak was supposed to be medium-rare but was served more like medium, and the lobster was small in size. My husband was not provided with a steak knife and ate half using a butter knife to cut. Could not located our server. Lobster was advertised at "de-shelled tableside" but it took 15 minutes for our server to even show up. I had ordered clam chowder that was never delivered. Server did give my husband a drink on the house for all the mistakes, but it didn't make up for the terrible experience.Special Features:
- FoodKSSChoiceDined on 9/18/2014Great decor and fantastic wait staff. The wine selected was paired well with my dish. It took the food a tad long to get there, but was perfectly prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Celebration DinnerJudySDined on 9/15/2014The ambiance is nice, the low level blue lighting gave it the feel of the ocean. The oysters were fantastic, chopped salad was fair (I would select another salad next time.) Shrimp and grits were great, but good to share with the table. The sesame seared rare Bigeye Tuna was some of the best I've had, and served with all the right accompaniments. The mussels were delicious, but a number of them did not/would not open, when brought to their attention, they were removed from the bill. All other dishes were delectable and we ended the meal sharing a piece of delicious Key Lime Pie which the four of us were unable to finish. The drinks and wine were divine, but the truly outstanding element, was our waiter Michael and his assistant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedpuhtDined on 9/13/2014I had an appointment and iwaited for thirty minutes passed my appointment time to be seated. The food was not as good as a worth.Special Features:
- Slow serviceCJMN21Dined on 9/13/2014Would not recommend this resturant to anybody. Very slow service and it took over an hour to get our food; also had to get our own drinks from the bar.
- Always a great timeTommyBDined on 9/13/2014Been going to The Oceanaire for years and I've never been disappointed. Always great food and experience. Even if you aren't a seafood lover the food is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still A ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Nothing has changed much other than the location. As always, the food and atmosphere were great. And, service was friendly if a little spotty. This is still a go-to place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceAnniversaryDined on 9/13/2014Great service, friendly and served with a smile, great dinner and desert, never rushed. Was most enjoyable for a anniversary celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion or just becauseLilyDined on 9/12/2014You just can't go wrong here. Everything is great. We love the crab cakes and scallops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Me and my girlfriend we were served with the guy named ROB on 09/12/14 he was a great server I have had for a while, he did great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, but spendyduganddebDined on 9/11/2014Food and service were excellent! We thought the food was phenomenal, albeit on the spendy side. $18 for a single crab cake is touch high, but for a very special event, it was worth it. Baked Alaska was a really cool thing to experience as well!Special Features:
- OceannaireJohnBCVIPDined on 9/9/2014Always come to Oceanaire-Minneapolis at least once a year for special occasions. The menu selections are always fresh, cooked to our taste and well presented. Total dining experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShackVIPDined on 9/7/2014I was celebrating my birthday and had not been to Oceanaire for several years. I decided to go because I had $25 discount for my birthday. It was a great choice and I enjoyed the food and the waiter. He was pleasant and made me feel special on my birthday. It was a nice evening and I appreciate the experience.Special Features:
- LovemorinmDined on 9/6/2014I fell in love with this restaurant. The food was amazing and the server was great. Great wine list with so many choices.Special Features:
- seafoodjunkieDined on 9/5/2014The noise level was very high. The food was fine but not spectacular. I would eat there again.Special Features:
- Still a favoritePJ007Dined on 9/2/2014Came for a business lunch and as always, the food was great and the service outstanding. It's a pricey spot, always has been, and that may explain in part why the crowd was pretty small at 12:30 on a Tuesday. But I've always found it to be worth the price.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday dinnerCharlieDined on 9/1/2014This was our first visit to Oceanaire. The restaurant was very nice and low-key. The service from Val was outstanding! She made some recommendations that were spot on. The crab cake was the best I have had and my scallops were fabulous. Val presented us with a commemorative menu with my name printed across the top for my birthday. After a fabulous meal, she brought a flaming baked Alaska to the table for us to share. While it is not the least expensive restaurant around, we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- really good food, excellent serviceNoDebtLetsEatVIPDined on 9/1/2014We knew the food would be exceptional (and it was), but the service provided by Doug was top-notch.Special Features:
- Always deliciousomamae1Dined on 8/31/2014Tried Oceanaire in Minneapolis for the first time. Have eaten at Oceanaire in D.C. several times and have always had a great dining experience there. Minneapolis was equally good as good as the D.C. location. Food was superb, the service was excellent, the staff friendly and the ambiance was deligthful.Special Features:
- Our new favorite!MonaLisaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Oceanaire has taken over first place as our favorite sea food restaurant. Even our meat eating guests loved the steaks. The service is top notch. The ambiance is lovely. The noise level is acceptable. We were not crowed at a table of 6 and not encroaching on the next table. They made our evening special and memorable.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner Done Right!runnergirlDined on 8/31/2014we have celebrated many anniversaries at Oceanaire, and it's always a hit. service, food quality, extra touches like personalized menus and a complimentary dessert - they've got it going on. we enjoyed a crab cake and the sweet corn chowder for our first course - both winners. we did family style dinner with black and blue halibut (recommended by our waiter, John), shrimp and grits, hash browns and broccolini. we couldn't decide which item we liked best! baked alaska and espresso for dessert. all around a wonderful night at a great spot!Special Features:
- Great food, too loudseafoodloverDined on 8/31/2014We went for our wedding anniversary and thought we would have a quiet and romantic dinner, but that did not turn out to be the case. The music was loud and it was difficult to hear each other. The food was great as we had expected, but the new location's ambience was not the same as when it was at the previous. It was a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitmore4meDined on 8/30/2014Great atmosphere with an impressive menu. The crab cake appetizer was the best we have ever had. Good recommendations from our server to compliment the oysters we also enjoyed. And the main course was fabulous, leaving no room for dessert. Sad but true!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationejmulderDined on 8/30/2014What a great time. We're greeted warmly and seated promptly. Booth was nicely prepared and staff was very helpful and attentive. Waiter was very knowledgable and helped us in our selections for both food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014I have been to your restaurant many times in both locations in Minneapolis. Saturday night was awful. The service was none existent. It literally took 30 minutes to take our order. My wife’s swordfish was raw; our food did not come out at the same time; and was so slow, we couldn’t our children’s birthday deserts. I know the manager was embarrassed. He should be. It was the worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant – and it cost me $350.
- Always spectacularverbalmuggingDined on 8/30/2014Anything I say here would simply be superfluous. Oceainaire stands on its own merits as a paragon of fine dining in Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yooper65Dined on 8/29/2014You are paying for the service, which is top notch. The food is only slightly above average.Special Features:
- Good but not greatCindyMinnieDined on 8/29/2014From appetizer to dessert, our 3 dinners were overall "satisfactory." The favorites were the: --East coast oysters on the half shell (West coast varieties didn't go over well) --Stuffed walleye filet (Barramundi dynamite was forgettable) --Cheesecake I'd eaten at the old location many times, so I invited 2 guests to dinner at the "new" location. Service had always been spectacular, but this time, our waiter made us feel as though we were merely an itch that needed to be scratched. He was sarcastic and somewhat cocky, and we all got the sense that he was bored with us and our requests for things like coffee. It left an unpleasant taste in my mouth in spite of the delicious cheesecake. Too bad.....I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to a quiet night out?DissapointedDined on 8/28/2014Should be a special occasion spot based on the quality of the food but the noise factor in dining there for a couple is almost prohibitive. It was difficult to have an intimate conversation with my wife and, therefore, makes the energetic noise level really: compromising. I am reluctant to return because of this, which is a shame given the high quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- probably not coming backDrWhat4VIPDined on 8/23/2014Been to Oceannaire more times than I can count and always have good or great food, but you can easily have more quiet meals at Fuddrucker's or Chuck E Cheese. Last dinner was over $700 for my family of 4 yet most of the patrons at the place looked and behaved more like they were at a Vikings game. Vibrant sort of implies fun and pleasant but my last meal there was neither. Oceannaire should consider relocating to the Mall of America as that's the sort of vibe I've experienced there during my last two visits.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoTobyJobDined on 8/23/2014A good time was had by all. Service was excellent, however my wife's dinner was disappointing for the price. Three scallops and a piece of pot roast for $44.00 was ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!!!!DelsurDined on 8/22/2014The food is fantastic but it was very noisy. I couldn't hear the people next to me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014We have always had a great experience at Oceanaire. The food and service are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.