Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
50 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6123332277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Wholfiel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
436 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (325)fit for foodies (175)romantic (165)notable wine list (133)good for groups (97)hot spot (66)vibrant bar scene (52)great for lunch (46)late-night find (30)great for outdoor dining (26)neighborhood gem (25)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (9)great for brunch (9)Show More
- really good food, excellent serviceNoDebtLetsEatVIPDined on 9/1/2014We knew the food would be exceptional (and it was), but the service provided by Doug was top-notch.Special Features:
- Always deliciousomamae1Dined on 8/31/2014Tried Oceanaire in Minneapolis for the first time. Have eaten at Oceanaire in D.C. several times and have always had a great dining experience there. Minneapolis was equally good as good as the D.C. location. Food was superb, the service was excellent, the staff friendly and the ambiance was deligthful.Special Features:
- Our new favorite!MonaLisaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Oceanaire has taken over first place as our favorite sea food restaurant. Even our meat eating guests loved the steaks. The service is top notch. The ambiance is lovely. The noise level is acceptable. We were not crowed at a table of 6 and not encroaching on the next table. They made our evening special and memorable.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner Done Right!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014we have celebrated many anniversaries at Oceanaire, and it's always a hit. service, food quality, extra touches like personalized menus and a complimentary dessert - they've got it going on. we enjoyed a crab cake and the sweet corn chowder for our first course - both winners. we did family style dinner with black and blue halibut (recommended by our waiter, John), shrimp and grits, hash browns and broccolini. we couldn't decide which item we liked best! baked alaska and espresso for dessert. all around a wonderful night at a great spot!Special Features:
- Great food, too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014We went for our wedding anniversary and thought we would have a quiet and romantic dinner, but that did not turn out to be the case. The music was loud and it was difficult to hear each other. The food was great as we had expected, but the new location's ambience was not the same as when it was at the previous. It was a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Great atmosphere with an impressive menu. The crab cake appetizer was the best we have ever had. Good recommendations from our server to compliment the oysters we also enjoyed. And the main course was fabulous, leaving no room for dessert. Sad but true!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014What a great time. We're greeted warmly and seated promptly. Booth was nicely prepared and staff was very helpful and attentive. Waiter was very knowledgable and helped us in our selections for both food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014I have been to your restaurant many times in both locations in Minneapolis. Saturday night was awful. The service was none existent. It literally took 30 minutes to take our order. My wife’s swordfish was raw; our food did not come out at the same time; and was so slow, we couldn’t our children’s birthday deserts. I know the manager was embarrassed. He should be. It was the worst experience I have ever had at a restaurant – and it cost me $350.
- Always spectacularverbalmuggingDined on 8/30/2014Anything I say here would simply be superfluous. Oceainaire stands on its own merits as a paragon of fine dining in Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yooper65Dined on 8/29/2014You are paying for the service, which is top notch. The food is only slightly above average.Special Features:
- Good but not greatCindyMinnieDined on 8/29/2014From appetizer to dessert, our 3 dinners were overall "satisfactory." The favorites were the: --East coast oysters on the half shell (West coast varieties didn't go over well) --Stuffed walleye filet (Barramundi dynamite was forgettable) --Cheesecake I'd eaten at the old location many times, so I invited 2 guests to dinner at the "new" location. Service had always been spectacular, but this time, our waiter made us feel as though we were merely an itch that needed to be scratched. He was sarcastic and somewhat cocky, and we all got the sense that he was bored with us and our requests for things like coffee. It left an unpleasant taste in my mouth in spite of the delicious cheesecake. Too bad.....I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to a quiet night out?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014Should be a special occasion spot based on the quality of the food but the noise factor in dining there for a couple is almost prohibitive. It was difficult to have an intimate conversation with my wife and, therefore, makes the energetic noise level really: compromising. I am reluctant to return because of this, which is a shame given the high quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- probably not coming backDrWhat4VIPDined on 8/23/2014Been to Oceannaire more times than I can count and always have good or great food, but you can easily have more quiet meals at Fuddrucker's or Chuck E Cheese. Last dinner was over $700 for my family of 4 yet most of the patrons at the place looked and behaved more like they were at a Vikings game. Vibrant sort of implies fun and pleasant but my last meal there was neither. Oceannaire should consider relocating to the Mall of America as that's the sort of vibe I've experienced there during my last two visits.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoTobyJobDined on 8/23/2014A good time was had by all. Service was excellent, however my wife's dinner was disappointing for the price. Three scallops and a piece of pot roast for $44.00 was ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!!!!DelsurDined on 8/22/2014The food is fantastic but it was very noisy. I couldn't hear the people next to me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014We have always had a great experience at Oceanaire. The food and service are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Oceanaire!lclcDined on 8/21/2014It starts right away with professional, friendly valet service. Expensive, but nice. Valet service should be a break even for the restaurant & a convenience for the customer. Not a money maker for the restaurant. We appreciated the nicely dressed, professional host & greeter. No bored, gum-chewing teenager here. Our server, Annie, was wonderful! Professional, knowledgeable & friendly with a great sense of timing. Great food! We worked our way down thru apps, salads & sides, never even getting to an entre. Everything was set up to share without asking. The creamed corn, surprisingly, is marvelous. Annie brought us a doz selected oysters. She expertly described each one & they were fresh & delicious. Great special occasion spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oceanaire...Minneapoliscrickie2duluthDined on 8/20/2014Everyone greeted us and made our group feel special. Great meals for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerfoodloverDined on 8/18/2014we always go here for my birthday and our wedding anniversary. BANANA CREME PIE!!! The BEST ever! The wait staff is so knowledgeable of the menu. I really appreciate that. I love how my water is always topped off. We will be back.Special Features:
- Best seafood in the Twin Cities!coachsokDined on 8/18/2014Fantastic meal from appetizer through dessert. The fin and scales fish stew was off the charts with a light tomato broth that enhanced the abundant variety of fresh fish. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Great Food and ExperienceMNLarryVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was our first time at the Oceanaire and we will return. Our server helped make the experience a memorable one by his approach which was friendly, but professional. Looking around, it appeared the whole wait staff was giving customers a similar experience. The food was outstanding and we based our selections on some observations from the server. I had a special parmesan encrusted cod and it was done to perfection and nicely presented. My wife had shrimp scampi and it was done just right. Appetizers were wonderful too (Steamed mussels; Shrimp and grits). Cocktails and wine added nicely to the experience. We were not hurried, but the efficiency of the service got us out for a leisurely stroll to Target Center for a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wasn't up to parsdudlisDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have eaten at the Oceaniare several times in the past. The service and food have always been outstanding. Unfortunately this was not the case this time. Service was slow, we had to ask for our bread; my wife had to wait for over 10 minutes to get the waitresses attention to have her crab leg cracked open. In addition, the cold lobster had a ton of water in the shell. My swordfish was overdone. The crab legs my wife ordered The rest of our food was very good. My wife's crab was very good and our friends tuna was excellent. Overall, the experience was ok, but below our expectations based on prior experience. In all likelihood we will come back again, but I will be on the lookout for another "special" restaurant.Special Features:
- Ideal Setting and serviceLackingServiceDined on 8/16/2014To start off We were running late and they accommodated this. When we arrived the Valet was friendly and quick. Upon entering the restaurant our table was ready and service was prompt. Now what made the night was or waiter. Very friendly and informative. He made excellent suggestions and informed us about several different dishes. The crab cakes were amazing. We enjoyed our experience and will return. Also the bar is excellent. Our drinks were done to perfectionSpecial Features:
- Continues to be amazing food!MNguyDined on 8/16/2014The service was awesome. The food was outstanding. Highly recommend the Crab Cakes and Tuna Poke Appetizers. The Lobster Mornay (if I remember correctly) was very tasty, but also very rich. The new location definitely has a new atmosphere...more lively, but also more noise. Less quiet and romantic, but if you are ok with that I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LanceDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance and service was great. We ordered Salmon and Cod fish with the cajon spice. For the price the food was only average. Maybe the chef had an off day, but overall a good experience. I would try again before taking it off my list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening out....emcgilliDined on 8/16/2014We started our evening here for dinner. Food and service were outstanding. A must for a nice romantic evening. Nice touch I'd it is your birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean-awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014This was my worst experience ever at Oceanaire. They never offered bread or a relish tray. The menu was misleading regarding a seafood app and was double charged! It was my wife's birthday and they never offered a dessert. The side dish was undercooked and cold. The main entree showed up while we were eating our app.
- Great for a special eveningTryitumightlikeit952Dined on 8/15/2014Service was fabulous. Felt well taken care of before I even ordered. Once order was placed and food arrived it was delicious. Never felt rushed and the server Lisa did a great job of making us feel taken care of without "hovering". You do pay a little more but the service and food are worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 8/15/2014Spent a very enjoyable evening at Oceanaire. The food was excellent and the service even better. We enjoyed drinks, appetizers, main course and dessert in a great slow pace, never rushed and the service and food perfect.Special Features:
- SavortheseafoodDined on 8/14/2014Excellent food and service. Our waiter made the experience more special for us. He even shelled all of the crab legs for me with an entertaining flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am tired of this place.LegalluncherDined on 8/12/2014Every time I have lunch here, I am underwhelmed by the quality of the food. While I think the lunch prices are reasonable, and the service is polite and attentive, the food is relatively bland and is not the product of any culinary imagination. The flavor profiles are uninteresting and remind me of a mid-to high end hotel banquet menu. I have eaten numerous things on the menu in an effort to change my perspective, but am always left holding the bag. My office is near here, so the space itself is good for client meetings, but for the money and location, I can almost always do better. They should consider shrinking their menu to include items they make well.
- Amazing!!luve2dineDined on 8/9/2014Food was beyond amazing, filet mignon that just melts in your mouth and leaves you wanting more, seafood (we had swordfish & halibut) both cooked to perfection, service- well that was just beyond any expectations that we had- our waiter was so great!! Dinner was so good we couldn't leave without trying some dessert even though we were already stuffed and the key lime pie was the best we have ever had. Everything was outstanding. We can't wait to go back!! Our only regret was not having bigger stomachs so we could eat more! The restaurant doesn't even have to be that fancy, they already have what's most important and that's just excellent food and excellent service. A restaurant that finally just gets it- amen to that!!Special Features:
- Dinner at OceanaireBLISDined on 8/9/2014Oceanaire offers some of the best seafood in the cities, however, their claim to fame has made them overpriced for what you get. We were at the table for 45 minutes before our appetizers came out, and that's because we had to ask twice. The noise level is too high and at times, it was hard to even hear my partner talking. For a high end restaurant (at least in price) I expect exceptional service, comfortable noise level and appropriate prices for the entree's ordered. Oceanaire falls short in most of these area's.
- Fancy but FunBethandEdDined on 8/9/2014Dined at Oceanaire for our 16th wedding anniversary celebration. When we were seated they gave us menus that had "Happy 16th Anniversary" typed at the top. A very nice touch. The server also took our menus after we ordered and came back with them tied up to take home. The food was amazing. The server told us about specials, how the menu is set up and offered suggestions. She also took the time to answer questions and provided additional suggestions to our questions. We enjoyed the mussels, the swordfish and the sea bass, along with a side of their hashbrowns. Beautifully prepared and amazing flavor. Love their new location in central downtown Minneapolis.Special Features:
- DisappointingPopeyeDined on 8/9/2014Great ambience, beautiful room, mediocre service, disappointing food. Baked stuffed sole was cold when served and deplorably reheated. Inedible. We will never return.
- Sub parChowchow1889Dined on 8/8/2014The oysters were the standout, otherwise our three entrees were rather boring in flavor and plate presentation. Service was excellent. Improvement suggestions: Zing up the flavor and make it eye popping. Don't rest on your laurels. Be distinctive.
- ServicePeterhVIPDined on 8/6/2014Waiter would disappear for long periods and when we commented he forget to bring us our drinks he developed an attitude.Special Features:
- Awesome!saleschickVIPDined on 8/5/2014Not sure why Oceanaire was only coming up with 4 stars in the average review rating. I brought colleagues here for dinner and everything was outstanding! The sourdough breadbasket, amazing wine list (both bottles and by the glass selections), colossal shrimp cocktail, great atmosphere... what's not to like?! Two of us had the seared rare tuna. Presentation was gorgeous and it melted in your mouth. Another in our party had the marlin with the blue cheese and carmelized onions - so good! Wine by the glass recommendations were spot on. Service was knowledgeable, attentive but not intrusive. Was a terrific "road test" of the place, and determined it is definitely worthy of a return visit with clients. I will be back.Special Features:
- Poor ServicePoorDined on 8/5/2014Let's go to an expensive restaurant for a special occasion. Then we will ask for our candle to be lit, then ask for silverware, then ask for sauce for our seafood tower that we paid a fortune for, then ask for additional plates because we split a meal. Nice that our waiter made three "appearances" at our table while the "assistant" worked very hard. This is a place for you tourists, just like the two neighboring restaurants on the block.
- Awesome food!kageevDined on 8/5/2014We came here for National Oyster Day. The oysters were delicious - especially with that red wine vinaigrette it came with! Very easy to spend $200 here. Food was memorable and would come here again!Special Features: