Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
50 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6123332277
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Robert Wholfiel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis
As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
471 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (340)fit for foodies (220)romantic (171)notable wine list (132)good for groups (113)hot spot (90)vibrant bar scene (68)late-night find (39)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (22)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (8)great for brunch (7)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2014Oceanaire had run out of lobster tail special over the weekend - and apologized for not having the it available. The relish dish had more ice in it than relish. Our food arrived within several minutes of placing the order. Prior to Landrys purchasing the restaurant, we dined on a similar meal. The waiter had gone out of his way to insure my mom enjoyed herself. This dining experience was nothing special. Food ordered, food arrived - they did provide a complementary baked Alaska for moms birthday - the waiter brought the dessert and was very aloof. The waiter seemed to go through the motions with us but nothing more. Having spent over $100 for the two of us, I left the restaurant with no desire to go back again.
- not worth itSteakLoverVIPDined on 10/25/2014food took 1 hour to get(they did buy us dessert), small food, semi good, expensive
- DougDined on 10/25/2014Good food but the noise level was pretty high, and we were seated close to the bar which made for heavy traffic the entire night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014the noise on a Saturday evening was breath taking ,need some refuge from music ,kitchen for those with mild hearing impairment'the rest room was quietSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014Great place for seafood. Excellent service. recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014This our third time visiting Oceanaire. It remains, in our minds, and the premiere sea food restaurant in the Twin Cities. You pay for it but we have never been disappointed. The Dover Sole and the Barramundi were both sensational. Our waitress Christine was attentive and well informed offering good advice. The birthday dessert they created was a very generous and delicious treat which was well received by the Birthday Girl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- corkdork44Dined on 10/24/2014Soggy fish, a dish that just didn't work together, thawed out frozen spinach and a boring wine list... And on top of that, a wait staff that just wasn't as cohesive and as professional as you'd think a downtown seafood room would have. The crab cakes were fine and the dessert was OK but chewy (overcooked bread pudding? The peanut butter mousse saved it), but it was all a strange enough experience that we don't feel like we need to go back.. Even if it was the end of restaurant week. Still no excuse for a confusing dining experience.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Great food. Great ambiance. Good service but felt a bit rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good on Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014The food was good, appetizer was really small, but it was restaurant week so for the price it was fine.Special Features:
- Very loud but good foodRepeatcustomerDined on 10/24/2014The decor was nice and the staff was friendly. The food was very good. Our only complaint was the noise level,we had to yell to hear each other over the other tables and the loud music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DansDined on 10/24/2014Great for dinner. Very noisy for going with a group…can't hear each other. The food is wonderful! Well located downtown. Park in another ramp and walk a block
- what happened?UmK1Dined on 10/24/2014last went there when they were at the old location. The intimacy is gone. Now the focus is small portions and getting as many people thru the door. Last time we will be going.Special Features:
- the4oscarVIPDined on 10/24/2014Hadn't been there in years. Fun to try it again during Restaurant week. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my wife's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014great service from Anna. efficient host who was ready for us when we arrived. and they treated my wife very well, including a special dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014We've had this restaurant on our wish list for quite a while, and took advantage of Restaurant Week prices to finally go. When making the reservation via OpenTable I wrote in "special requests" that we would be celebrating our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. When we got to the restaurant, the host made sure to wish us a happy anniversary, and when we were seated we were given customized menus that included "Happy 3rd Anniversary!!!" printed at the top - awesome souvenir! The server was exceedingly polite and gave great recommendations on menu items, even suggesting the restaurant week menu over some of their higher priced offerings we were considering. All in all, I would eat here again and recommend it to all!Special Features:
- BradyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014The new location is certainly much more convenient than their old location in the back of the Hyatt. What they've gained in convenience they've lost in ambiance, however. The new space is a little generic, whereas the old space felt as special as the food and service that Oceanaire consistently provides. Our server (Jim) was phenomenal and the food was as good as it's always been, so I can live with a slight down-tick in atmosphere.Special Features:
- Don't Go!!!fredurkVIPDined on 10/23/2014The WORSE service that I ever had, it take one hour to have the appetizer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014My wife and I drove in from Welch, entrusted our car to a valet and walked my friend, in town to lecture at a surgeons' workshop, from his hotel to Oceanaire - a pleasant jaunt at sunset down Nicollet Mall to the restaurant - sparkling in the elegant glow of the blue LEDs set on each table. My Pacific Northwest oysters were superb, accompanied by a crisp New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. My friend and wife each had the Coho salmon, while I had the barramundi - a first encounter. Each entree - sublimely grilled - was delightful. Oceanaire made it a great evening in Minneapolis.Special Features:
- Superb SeafoodcitygirlVIPDined on 10/23/2014Went for Restaurant Week with friends and my pan-fried swordfish was cooked perfectly. Last time it was grilled and a tad over-cooked. The shrimp was also excellent. Dear husband keeps ordering steak and it's the wrong thing to order here. He now knows better after about the 6th time! Oysters super fresh and the best in town. I love the supper club touch of bringing a complimentary relish tray to each table. Sourdough bread is great. Nice attitude: professional but not snobby. The James Bond martini in the bar on happy hour is fab.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014The service here was outstanding and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014The food was cold, the portions were not consistant with other locations for Restuarants Week, no order to the chaos that was going on with really long wait time for meal, and to be seated.
- Pretttty, pretty goodMichaelGWDDined on 10/22/2014We had an 8:30 reservation, but didn't get sat until a little after 9. It was restaurant week, so that was understandable. It was also a lot nosier then I expected, but again: restaurant week. Beyond those two things, it was fantastic. Food was good, staff was friendly, knowledgeable, prompt and overall it's a trendy looking spot in the heart of downtown. I'd go back in a heart beat - curious to see what it's like on a standard Wednesday night.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekluv2dineDined on 10/22/2014They do not seem to have the capacity to participate in the Restaurant Week. We waited 45 min and were sent to the bar the whole time at our own cost. The waitress seemed to be overworked and was not patient to accommodate our needs. We waited a long time to get our food.
- Birthday TreatGordyDined on 10/22/2014My wife and I have always enjoyed our visits to Oceanaire. This year we celebrated her birthday here and were surprised to find a flaming Baked Alaska on our table at the end of the meal courtesy of the restaurant. Excellent food and service - we highly recommend.Special Features:
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014I went there with a friend to show her that Oceanaire is fantastic. We went there for restaurant week, and I happened to order off of the restaurant week menu. Cathy was our server, and she was very polite and knew everything inside and out. She knew and explained what would be a complimentary appetizer to our entrees, and she was so nice! It was part of what made our night, the other part was the delicious food. My only complaint is that it was too noisy when we arrived, and it made it someone's hard to have a conversation with my friend.Special Features:
- Wonder NightluvgoodseafoodDined on 10/22/2014First time for us at Oceanaire. Chose Restaruant Week to try them. Wonderful food and service. The restaurant was packed so noise level was elevated. I'm sure other weeks the ambiance would be different. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So unimpressedstim0018Dined on 10/22/2014I realize that we went during restaurant week, which is probably their least favorite week. And it showed. We waited twenty minutes for our reserved table. Our server didn't discuss the menu with us at all. We weren't even interested in the Restaurant Week menu, but she never went over anything so we just ordered off of it and added some sides, an app, and a bottle of wine. Our server did a typical wine service, but never returned to pour the wine, check on us, etc. When the main course was delivered I just sat there without a fork for five minutes until I flagged her down and asked. The food...not at all what I've experienced in the past. Bland, mushy, and just overall bad. The best part was dessert which isn't saying much.
- Extremely disappointingNathanDined on 10/22/2014We were excited to try Oceanaire as it was one of the last fine dining restaurants in the twin cities that my wife and I had yet to visit, and we both love seafood. The seafood was clearly fresh, but that was unfortunately our only positive take away. The following were very disappointing: -We were sat at the small table closest to the entrance (by the bar) and felt extremely cramped as the bar crowd and others waiting for tables were pushed clear up against our tables (their rear-end often facing us at head level) -Every single dish was completely lacking in seasoning, to the point that we wondered if there was any salt at all (we don't even like excess salt). In other words, excessively bland -Waitress did not give coins back, only billsSpecial Features:
- Don't Eat Here for Restaurant WeekbassoonbonnieVIPDined on 10/22/2014As you would expect from Oceanaire, the food was amazing, particularly the crab cake, swordfish and desserts included with the Restaurant Week menu. The staff tried to take our plates several times while we were still eating and without asking if we were finished. They brought the main course while one member of our party was still eating her salad. They forgot to bring us mashed potatoes ordered off the regular menu and instead brought us hash browns after we were almost done with our entrees, only after I asked. Desserts were brought out while one member of our party was still eating her entree. Since the dessert included ice cream, I suggested she eat the dessert before finishing her entree. Clearly, they were trying to get us out fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what i expectedchalby2007Dined on 10/22/2014I was really excited to go to oceanaire. The service was very slow- we were there for 2 hours even though we put our order in right away. I understood that the tables were probably super close together because it was restaurant week. The food portions were super small and my husband and I both left hungry. The swordfish was very good but everything else tasted just ok. The cookies were horrible! and the apple blondie was decent but it tasted more like pumpkin. Our server would bring me different refills for my drink than what I ordered and wouldnt really listen when the next time we asked for my original drink.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerLizerDined on 10/21/2014Excellent apps and entrees. Wonderful server with great recommendations. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week date nightKatmardewDined on 10/21/2014With the restaurant week event, it was great to try a restaurant I wouldn't typically go to for a special date night. I got the crab cake appetizer and scallop carbonara entree, and he ordered the ceasar salad and swordfish. All four dishes were amazing. I will be ordering the carbonara as my final meal whenever my time comes! SO DELICIOUS! The best part of the pumpkin cake dessert was the cream cheese frosting in the middle, but otherwise it wasn't anything special. My only negative feedback would be that we had to reorder our G&Ts because there wasn't any gin in them and that the server looked like a jersey shore cast member. But overall a wonderful experience with amazing food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BankerBankerVIPDined on 10/21/2014We celebrated Restaurant Week ... the food, service and atmosphere were all wonderful ... delicious meal !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanickyDined on 10/21/2014Went for restaurant week and the place was packed on a Tuesday night. Our service was wonderful. In a place specializing in seafood I was disappointed that my salmon and scallops were over cooked. The oysters were excellent though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy restaurant/DennyVIPDined on 10/20/2014When one makes a reservation at a restaurant on a Monday night, one expects that a table would be ready at the reserved time, instead of having to wait around for 15 minutes. It may have been the result of their"restaurant week" promotion, but the ambient noise was so loud that it was very difficult to converse with others at our table. The crabcakes were very good and the rest of the fish wasn't much better than average, certainly not as good as we have come to expect from this restaurant. The pumpkin puree was very tasty. The dessert was so-so.Special Features:
- Reservations are poorMTS8Dined on 10/20/2014We had a 7:30p reservation lined up and arrived approximately at 7:25p. The host stand mentioned it would a short wait but nothing extreme (never experienced wait times when having a reservation). The host recommended we head to the bar and he would grab us when ready. We continued to notice numerous parties of all sizes get brought to their tables. It wasn't until 7:55p when I checked back with the host to ask what the hold up was. He told me that he had forgotten about us and that we have waited too long. Our table magically appeared and we were seated at 8pm. The funny part was that I received an email confirming my 7:30p res. and the restaurant even called to confirm the same day! Excellent food and wait staff. Terrible host staff.Special Features:
- Anniversary nightLuvcfoodDined on 10/20/2014Best dinner we have had in a long time! Best service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceNickDined on 10/20/2014My newly wed wife and I went here during restaurant week and we had a wonderful time. Great food very fresh seafood, superb service. It was kind of loud due to it being restaurant week but $30 for a three course dinner for one was well worth it! The host was also willing to move us from a table to a booth which was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- getting2knowu says the food was a1getting2knowuDined on 10/20/2014Best seafood place downtown crabcake was amazing the company was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- swordfish was way overcookedmiddleclassDined on 10/19/2014the swordfish was way overcooked and dry as day old turkey breast , the staff attempted to serve the main course before the clam chowder first course had arrived = sent back then waited another 5 minutes for soup to arrive. Soup was very good. I paid extra for a bowl. Worth the size. Then for desert the restaurant week menu said coffee was included but, oops, I was charged. Too embarrassed to contest the bill at a classy restaurant so I just paid and left!