Oceanaire Seafood Room - Boston
40 Court Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Boston
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theoceanaire.com/
- Phone: 6177422277x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Dan Enos
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oceanaire Seafood Room - Boston
Sleek and sophisticated, The Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including steak-cut Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole or bluefin tuna. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at The Oceanaire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Boston - Best Restaurants in Financial District ›
Oceanaire Seafood Room - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
243 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (141)fit for foodies (105)romantic (84)good for groups (69)notable wine list (55)great for lunch (48)neighborhood gem (46)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (22)late-night find (11)great for brunch (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Hello?OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/30/2014Loved the decor and the food was tremendous. We had 5 for 8 o'clock dinner on a Tussay night. It wA not busy but the service was poor Food came out on time and water glasses were filled promptly, but our waiter was MIA most of the evening. Had we waited for him I pour wine we would have drunk only water and the restaurant would certainly never have sold two bottles I'd go back. I doubt all waiters were this poorI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood24dinnerVIPDined on 9/25/2014Its high quality food that makes this place shine. The lobster and halibut were as nice (and expensive) as we've had anywhere. It seems that the staffing could have been a bit heavier. There were a few larger groups which may have taken more time, but not too bad. We were initially seated adjacent to the service area which is loud and has heavy traffic. The place was nearly empty so that was an odd choice by Oceanaire. We were able to be relocated to another table but the hostess was not accommodating about the switch. She was also abrupt about directions to the restrooms which were not obviously located. I'd try it again, but only because of the food.Special Features:
- So close, yet..........kertruffleVIPDined on 9/23/2014My husband, Honorable Kenneth Fishman and I hosted a dinner, on the heels of a State House event. Very excited to be going back to Oceanaire. While there was no disappoint re oyster platters,good service, etc.,we were stunned when the order of blackened swordfish (which I recall was about $28/29) was maybe the SMALLEST serving of swordfish we had ever witnessed!!! And we dine out in Boston ALL THE TIME!!There was not even an explanation by the wait staff. (I would suggest it was under 4oz). And in the (new?) tradition of steakhouses, you do not serve ANY sides with this tiny, sad little offering. So, thank goodness we ordered a side of sauteed spinach (and had filled ourselves up with oysters first!)Special Features:
- Solo diners avoid.Diner99Dined on 9/22/2014Booked this restaurant many weeks before my visit expecting first class service. Instead got dumped in what was clearly the second rate bar service area with a third rate waiter. I had booked the restaurant! Had to ask for a drinks menu and then wait to give an order. When the first course arrived, a lobster bisque, it was unusually and unpleasantly (for me) thick, like stiff peak meringue. When I queried if it was meant to be this thick, I was told that it had been like this for the last 2 weeks, but if I did not like it, that was not a problem. The bisque was whisked away but nothing was offered to replace it. The wine I had ordered did not arrive until nearly half way through the main course. Main problem? I was a solo diner!
- First time in BostonMTurner00Dined on 9/20/2014We were only in Boston for one night and wanted seafood. Our hotel recommended the Oceanaire. It was fantastic! The food was nothing short of excellent and our servers were as good or better than I've had anywhere. The building is an old bank with lots of carved marble and excellent use of accent lighting creating a very unique dining atmosphere. If I am ever back in Boston again, I will be sure to make another reservation here. You can't go wrong!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaliforniaKidDined on 9/14/2014The food was excellent. The mixed seafood appetizer over ice was awesome. Our server was never around. He actually left 1/2 way through dinner, never to be seen again. We had to get another server (who seemed annoyed) to get us the check. It is too bad that the chef did such a great job on the food, only to have a server let him down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinganniversaryDinerDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I picked this restaurant for our first anniversary dinner. The shrimp cerviche was very fresh and very good. The seafood trio was outstanding. And the service was some of the best I have experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in Boston!grybostonVIPDined on 9/13/2014We went to Oceanaire with some out of town guest that were interested in great seafood. We went to Oceanaire where we have been too often and have never had a disappointing meal.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere!RobinDined on 9/8/2014Great food, great service & great atmosphere! We will definitely return to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DessertlplayDined on 9/8/2014Baked Alaska was a visual pleasure, but the dessert it self was not as delicious as it seemed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oceanaire Boston!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Excellent menu selections, great ambiance, and excellent food quality & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodFootballRefDined on 9/6/2014Went there for my wife's birthday she had the stuffed flounder and I had the mixed seafood Grill. The portions were very generous and the mixed Grill was excellent. Very nice bar with a lot of specialty drinks in a massive wine list. I would definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality evening mealUKtravellerDined on 9/4/2014We were visiting Boston for a few days and choose this restaurant for a good fish meal. We were not disappointed. It has a lovely ambiance , superb service and the waiter was very helpful and knowledgeable.The food was superb and certain enough for our English appetites. We would certainly book again if we ever came back to this lovely city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Happy AnniversaryapiscesfancierDined on 9/2/2014We decided on coming here quite on the spur of the moment. We were spending four days in Boston in honor of our Silver Anniversary, and decided on Oceanaire based just on their posted menu. Upon checking online, they had a 4.4 rating, so I thought it would be a safe bet. Safe? It was outstanding. Everything was great. From possibly the finest Manhattan ever, to a delicious Boston creme pie for dessert, every forkful was superb. The service was wonderful. Our table was relatively secluded, but not so private that we were forgotten.Our waiter exemplified excellent care, exp[ressing a regard that we be please with both the quality of food and the service. The menu is a la carte, and one of the sides will easily serve two peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014Another great experience at Oceanaire. The king crab was awesome. The service great. The drinks made well. I always enjoy our special occasions at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great Friday NightBMW1954VIPDined on 8/29/2014went for a light late eventing meal and got great service from Jeff, who was also quite knowledgeable about oysters- I learned a lot and had an exquisite meal. I will try and make it a recurrent ritualSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodPhotofanDrVIPDined on 8/29/2014From the great selection of fresh oysters, the awesome fried asparagus with blue cheese to the to die for black and blue swordfish. A wonderful dining experience ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Dining ExperienceseafoodsavvyDined on 8/29/2014I participated in Dine Out Boston and ordered off that menu. I got the calamari as my appetizer which was below average for a pricey restaurant. I chose the crab cakes for entree which were very moist and delicious but the appearance wasn't anything special. I regret my dessert choice. I got the Black Bear ice cream which was a cherry flavored ice cream with bits of chocolate. It tasted like a tootsie roll. I probably should've gotten the key lime pie instead. Overall, it was an average dining experience for a nice sit-down restaurant.Special Features:
- Classy service & seafoodTheSamplerDined on 8/29/2014Pricey, but really great seafood if you don't want to take chances with seafood. Had a great experience with calamari and shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a ClassicjjpmDined on 8/29/2014A hidden surprise in the Government Center neighborhood of Boston. I had walked by the restaurant many times and never noticed it. That was my loss. what a wonderful surprise. Great food, great service. I'm glad I found it on the Boston Restaurant week list and that we got the chance to try it. We shall return many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine out week stapleIsabellaVIPDined on 8/28/2014Every dine out week my Mother insists we go here. We went for the first time during the Boston Dine Out week and shes in love. We always have such a nice time - the food is delicious and the service is great.
- service dissapointedSluggosixtyfiveVIPDined on 8/27/2014While the food was excellent and the room is beautiful, for this Dine Out Boston dinner, service was terrible - water was inattentive, no where to be seen for vast stretches of time, plates were noisily dropped on the table, and when i asked a runner for wine, he said he'd get my waiter and it took a good 5 minutes for him to appear. The restaurant wasn't a quarter full, so there's no reason for the lack of attention.Special Features:
- SereviDined on 8/27/2014Always enjoy dining at The Oceanaire. The ambience is elegant and friendly, with contemporary vibes in the blue-lit bar area, and view of the historic bank vaults in the center stairwell. All the choices on the menu for Restaurant Week were appealing -- my friend and I both chose the haddock, stuffed not with crumbs but with a nice crabmeat mixture, with garlic spinach on the side. Also appreciated the variety of wines available by the glass, and service provided by Enrique and his colleagues was perfect.Special Features:
- Nice for Dine Out Boston Week LunchbostonloverDined on 8/27/2014Open, spacious, grand atmosphere. Was here with a group for Dine Out Boston lunch. I had the calamari appetizer, the salmon salad entrée, and the ice cream for dessert. The calamari and salmon entrée were perfectly delicious. The ice cream was lacking in raspberry flavor, but was good. Everyone in our group of 5 enjoyed the food and the ambience. Service was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the RoughSandyDined on 8/27/2014This restaurant is superb, everthing was delicious, drinks were excellent, service was the best, they were wonderful and friendly/Special Features:
- BeautifulstylieneatsDined on 8/26/2014Service was great. Setting was really elegant. Food was well prepared, and on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left me un-inspiredskysthelimitDined on 8/26/2014Had streak frites, though I ordered the steak well done, it came out like shoe leather...with a pile of fries that were un-inspiring. Had to ask for roll set up.... ginger ale tasted odd, too much selzer not enough ginger. Companion had restaurant week menu...3 shrimp stuffed with spinach...with a side of pasta; ok, nothing great. Smaller portion than last year. Highlight of the meal was the key lime cheesecake, which was great. Service good, not great; had to continually ask for refill of coffee. Dined late in the day around 2PM...maybe 5 tables were occupied. Came away thoroughly disappointed in the quality & taste of the food. Bill came to $70 for 2 for lunch...ouch...Special Features:
- TFCambridgeDined on 8/26/2014Very nice surroundings; the trout I had was good but overpriced on their regular menu (I went during Restaurant Week). Could see coming here for a special occasion, perhaps, but other than restaurant week I probably won't come back much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luxurious ambienceCrestaDined on 8/25/2014Luxurious ambience and great service. I have been there twice. In this time, owing to the restaurant week, the taste was not good. It was not worthwhile. I would say, the foods for the restaurant week will deteriorate a rating.Special Features:
- great food - horrible servicekitkatDined on 8/25/2014I recently came here for restaurant week. I've been here because I love the atmosphere, food, & service. This time I don't know if its because we ordered off of the restaurant week menu but it took 20-30 minutes to just get water!!! My friend told 1 of the managers and he apologized and said that wasn't acceptable. Unfortunately, service didn't improve so then he went to another manager & was told the other manager had left for the night. I was so shocked by the level of service. It wasn't even that our waiter had a lot of tables I couldn't even find him on the floor working! It's a shame bc the food was delicious! To make up for the poor service the manager gave us a coupon for a free app for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go but not during Restaurant weekworldtravellerVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food and prices for happy hour daily are great so opted to try it during Dine Boston (Restaurant week); even though the prix fixe is $38/pp it is a dressed down version of the food Entrees are sparse. No side salad or a potato, maybe a carrot to go with your fish? If a restaurant wants to bring in new business during restaurant week who will return, stop treating restaurant week customers like poor relations. I was very disappointed that my crab cake entree arrived on the plate with nothing. Not even some micro greens? Puh-lease. Bill was still $160 with wine but doubtful I will go back even for the super happy hour
- Great Night OutJohnnyHoggzSayzDined on 8/23/2014In Boston for a friend's wedding & was looking for a nice spot for a final night get together with friends and Oceanaire was the choice. We all met up for drinks & apps and the selections for both were well thought out & plentiful. Bar staff was very knowledgeable & attentive; make sure to ask for Felix! Great location that's easy to get to and a good time was had by all-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful AtmoshperetspearsDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant looks beautiful, drawing desing elements from the sea, as well as an earlier time when restaurants were much more formal. Everything here is a blast form the past, including the menu! The service was professional, and you could tell the server had been there a while, but he didn't seem to know a huge amount about the food. We ordered the hash browns as a side; for $3 more you can get them a la oceanaire, when we asked him what that meant, he fumbled around a little and said "that means it's spicy". The food was good, nothing special, and I got a kick out of seeing all of these older dishes from 40-50 years ago. I'd go back, just for the atmosphere though, well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiencegiffDined on 8/22/2014great ambience for a great night out; excellent food and menu; nice wine; excellent waiter and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Dine Out Boston ExperienceDontGoOceanaireVIPDined on 8/22/2014We went for the dine out week dinner last Friday, and the service did not meet our expectation at all. We did not get breads prior to our appetizer (we noticed on our way out that other tables were getting them before their meals), and the server constantly gave us the check which included things that we did not order (bill came out to $20 over what we were supposed to pay). I mentioned this to the server, he apologized saying he would bring the new corrected check, and repeated the mistakes 3 times. As a result, we waited for another good 20 minutes before we were able to pay the right amount and leave the restaurant. I felt that I was discriminated because we were ordering dine out menu, not the regular priced menu items.
- Super Food + Super ServicedannylovebitwDined on 8/22/2014My party came here on the Friday of Restaurant Week for a friend's birthday. I had let the restaurant know in advance that we were celebrating a friend's birthday and they PRINTED HER NAME ON OUR MENU! Such a great, personal, appreciated touch. The food was very well made and well-presented. Our waiter was an absolute gentleman, quite knowledgeable about the menu and made us really feel at home. I enjoyed my chowder and stuffed haddock entree - not sure of everything that was in the haddock but it all amounted to a generous amount of awesomeness. Finally, the milk and oatmeal cookies dessert had me eating with my hands in a nice restaurant, and it all seemed so right :). In all, this was QUITE the enjoyable dining experience. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Eveningmkjd431Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I tried Oceanaire for dinner, having been to the Washington, DC location but not the one in Boston. The service was outstanding, the steak and fish perfectly cooked, and the ambiance of the room was amazing. Our only complaint was that the desserts were too large and we had to take them home to enjoy later. I would highly recommend this location for a special dinner! Top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The personalized menu wishing my guest a Happy Birthday was a real plus, as well as a real hit with her. The complimentary Happy Birthday dessert was a really nice, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Bizzare service.GreyUrchinVIPDined on 8/21/2014As always the food was excellent. However the service is really slipping. When I asked the server "if it were possible to get more water" he said "yes it is free so of course it is possible". I wasn't sure if he was trying to be funny or snarky or just rude. He also routinely gave is very strange looks each time he delivered food or answered a question. At first it was odd. The. We started looking for hidden cameras because it was beyond odd. Apparently we we being punished because we did not take his recommendation for the calamari for a starter. Sorry for disappointing you sir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love for FishBCGBeetleDined on 8/20/2014I went here for my boyfriend and my 5th anniversary. We knew it was restaurant week in Boston so we chose this restaurant based on their menu and recommendations from my family. I had written on Open Table in the comments section that it was our anniversary so when we got seated the menu said "Happy Anniversary!!" on it. Such a cute touch! However, we didn't buy anything off the regular menu because the Restaurant week deal was a better deal. We got seated at a cute little rounded booth with a glowing blue light. They served us complimentary sourdough bread and butter. I got the clam chowder, stuffed haddock and cookies w/ milk. My boyfriend got the calamari (he said it's the best he's ever had), AMAZING crab cakes and cookies w/ milk. WineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.