1218 20th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35205Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oceanbirmingham.com/
- Phone: 2059330999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: George Reis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available from 25 to 350 people. Catering Menus available, please call Heather Reeder, Event Manager (205)-933-0999
- Private Party Facilities: Ocean has 3 private dining areas available. Ocean is also available for luncheons, and private events both on and off premises.
- Private Party Contact: Heather Reeder 2059330999
- Entertainment: Guitarist and Vocalist on Thursday evenings in Courtyard.
A word from Ocean
Ocean offers fresh seafood in an exciting and contemporary atmosphere. The menu features fresh oysters and fish arriving daily from around the world. Recipient of the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award for 2007, Wine Spectator Award 2004,2005,2006 and 2007. Voted Best Chef, Wine List and rated 5 stars by the Birmingham News. Locally owned and operated by George and Harriet Reis.Continued
Ocean does not accept ONLINE reservations for parties of 5 or more.
Ocean does not accept ONLINE reservations for parties of 5 or more.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ocean - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Ocean reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)romantic (34)fit for foodies (33)hot spot (23)notable wine list (23)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Cowboy1Dined on 10/18/2014We had a wonderful experience at Ocean. Our server, Rick, was very good. The oysters were a real treat. Our drinks before dinner were good----but the olives in the martinis were not. Chewy with a bad aftertaste. Our entrees were excellent---the grouper and the seafood paella. And for dessert we had the blackberry shortcake which was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTAuburnDined on 10/17/2014Service was great again, drinks were also. I ordered the Hereford filet mignon with bleu potato salad,best I have tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestBritt22Dined on 10/17/2014This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. The service was impeccable. Our waitress was extremely helpful since it was our first visit and did not disappoint with her recommendations. Though it is rather expensive, you leave full and satisfied. I would definitely recommend Ocean to everyone. And get the Soul Roll. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first timeAlonzoDined on 10/4/2014Our first time at Oceans was for our Anniversary and we soon found out that it was a perfect choice! The food, interior, lighting, wine, and service was the best we have ever experienced. I'd recommend Oceans to everyone, it's a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Appetizing!GoodEatsDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I found the Ocean on the internet while searching for best restaurants in Birmingham. We researched the menu items and were instantly intrigued. We chose Ocean for our One Year Anniversary dinner. We were not let down! Food was fabulous as well as the servers and host/hostess. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed our dining experience. It is on the pricey side for regular dining, but this was a special occasion. It was our granddaughter's 13th birthday and she loves seafood and sushi.Special Features:
- Expectations Exceeded!flip4foodDined on 9/30/2014Ocean is an absolute delight. I had heard many good things about this restaurant but was afraid they would not live up to the hype. Boy, was I wrong! The food and service were top notch. From the fried green tomatoes and oysters Rockefeller, to the lobster tails, salmon and then, bread pudding and blackberry tart, everything was delicious and the servings were just right! It felt great getting dressed up, going out and being rewarded with such a fantastic experience. Couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate our 25th anniversary! Thank you, Ocean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious!djfoodieDined on 9/30/2014Food was great, service was good (a little slow between salad and entree and dessert and check), noise level was good when first arrived (5:30) but we were shouting across the table by dessert (7:45). Tables are pretty close together. We had our three-year-old granddaughter with us and she was quieter than most other patrons...haha. We were celebrating my husbands birthday and we enjoyed it but I wouldn't go there for romantic dinner because of noise.?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014We had sushi rolls, I think they were called Soul Rolls, had crab meat in center, and the Lobster Tails were outstanding. Would highly recommend this place and look forward to going back, the next time in BirminghamSpecial Features:
- Great SeafoodluvtoeatDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I had a great evening with perfectly prepared fish and wonderful oysters Rockefeller. Carlos was a great waiter, friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- EnjoyablerunwildDined on 9/9/2014Appetizer of halibut cheeks was outstanding. It was so good that I ordered the halibut duo for my entree. We also got the whole flounder which was very good. The tables are very close in proximity is the main downside. Very noisy. Valet parking was helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowBobbyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Great great dinner. Can't wait to go back. Everything we ordered was perfect. Loved the lobster tail appetizer.Special Features:
- Our dinner in OceanOceanfishDined on 8/29/2014Food was good but priced too high for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations...hoopDined on 8/23/2014My girlfriend and I made our first trip to Ocean for Birmingham Restaurant Week and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent, the service was helpful without being overbearing, and the price was reasonable for the quality offered. We were impressed and we will be back.Special Features:
- Everything we ordered was great!bhmlrwDined on 8/21/2014We had not been to Ocean in a long time and forgotten what a fabulous restaurant it is! We went during Restaurant Week and took advantage of the three-course specials. My husband and I ordered different appetizers and entrees, but everything was outstanding. An added plus was the selection of wines by the glass. The service was also exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to their normal standardsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014We have always had exceptional meals at Ocean and this was our first disappointment. The service was excellent, and our waiter's knowledge of the menu and wine offerings was outstanding. My wife's flounder was majorly under seasoned and pretty flat. She never mentioned it to me (not wanting to spoil my dinner) until I said my halibut was plain as a bowling shoe. Just a beautiful piece of fish and fresh as one could want, but just no seasoning. I joked that maybe they had a guest chef who thought he had to pay for seasoning out of his own pocket. Both fish dishes were just flat. My mashed potatoes were full of flavor yet her sweet potatoes were unseasoned. Dessert was delightful, go figure. Just an off night, we will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in Birmingham !bonvivantDined on 8/8/2014My husband & 6 year old twin daughters thoroughly enjoyed the oysters, shrimp, lobster, grouper & desserts. Everything was fabulous & we highly recommend dining here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMarkiemonDined on 8/1/2014Ocean is obviously a seafood restaurant, on Birminghams fashionable Southside. We were there on a Saturday night and were seated a few minutes earlier than our epreservations called for. The staff was welcoming and warm. Our server was personable and helpful. As to the food, I can only say that everything here is fresh and extremely well prepared. I highly recommend Ocean if you are looking for quality seafood well prepared.Special Features:
- Great food & serviceTdinerDined on 7/30/2014This was my second time dining @ Ocean. The food was delicious once again & the service was great. This is becoming my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at OceanRollTideDined on 7/29/2014The seafood on the menu provided a wide range of choices. My wife and I enjoyed the Halibut and the Grouper entrees very much and we will return in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!enjoygoodfoodDined on 7/26/2014Can't say enough great things about this place. The wine selections, the Chef's creations, and especially the service. Our server was Larry and was the best server I think we've ever had an any place anywhere. We will certainly be having a dinner at Ocean every time we are in Birmingham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointdinnerfor2Dined on 7/25/2014Great birthday dinner! Loved the crab cake appetizer. Grouper and Halibut were cooked perfectly and everything was well seasoned. Great compliment of flavors. Don't pass on any of their home made ice cream! We had the nutella peanut crunch - delish!!! Definitely will be back for our next special occasion dinner!!Special Features:
- Great service!FoodmanDined on 7/25/2014The service was impeccable (and I don't ever say that about restaurants) and the food was good. My wife's 2lb lobster was a little overcooked but everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OceanEtwmillsDined on 7/23/2014The air conditioning was broken and it was still an incredible meal. Scallops are on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and noisyJaysDined on 7/19/2014The food was excellent and waiter very attentive. The thing that struck us was the high noise level in such a small and busy place which made it less relaxing for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebratingCelebratingVIPDined on 7/12/2014We probably had the worst table in the house; next to entrance behind curtain... but after excellent service and food, were almost able to ignore that. Will know to ask for different table next time when making reservations. Scallops and Snapper excellent!Special Features:
- The following 420 reviews are from the Ocean reviews archive.
- Perfect EveningDineKingDined on 6/26/2014The food was fantastic and atmosphere was wonderful. I had high expectations based on the reviews and research I did prior and they were met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a business dinner.CateyDined on 6/14/2014I was able to entertain my investor in an appropriate, high class setting. Perfect!Special Features:
- Fantastically CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Daily menus, always fresh, and an incredible variety of techniques and ingredients make this one a keeper. We'll be back. The highlight was probably the pan-seared scallops, but there were no low points.Special Features:
- Great Food Great Service but NoisyORtransplantDined on 6/10/2014Best restaurant in the Southeast! Great food and great service. A truly wonderful place to gather with friends at the bar or have a wonderful meal with a friend or spouse. Stay away from tables set up for larger groups if you want to be able to hear the person your with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!DanaHatzi60Dined on 6/5/2014The food was absolutely incredible. Service was, too. I highly recommend the pan seared scallops, and the Ahi tuna was wonderful. Everything was cooked perfectly and the presentation was lovely.Special Features:
- Delectable Food and Grear AmbianceLove2DineDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant is a rare find as the menu changes and is printed new daily based upon available seafood and produce.It has a great ambiance as you can hear the steady buzz of conversations as the other tables. The wait staff is very knowledgeable and aimed at providing each table with a fine dining experience. The food is impeccable as we had perfectly prepared oysters Rockefeller for our appetizer along with a perfectly selected bottle of wine. Our main course consisted of paella and red grouper, and lastly, we finished with creme brûlée and bread pudding for dessert. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for business dinners or special nights out. The ease of online reservations will make your next dining experience hassle free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BirminghamOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/31/2014We ate at Highlands on a Friday and at Ocean the next day, Saturday, and the meals were some of the best in America if you do not care how much you pay for dinner. Confession: we ordered appetizers, salads, entrees and desert as well as wine. Flawless at both locations. Both are first class and we could not decide which is better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean & 26MarissaDined on 5/23/2014Very good quality oysters and seafood! The service was also the best I've had at a restaurant, ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2014From our server (Brock), the food, atmosphere...everything was great! Thanks for an awesome night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional DinningLQQK4RomanceDined on 5/9/2014Very fine food and a good dinning experience. Our waiter was knowledgeable and very helpful regarding the entire menu and wine selections. The food was wonderful and atmosphere was delightful. However, our table for two was TOO Small and we felt a bit cramped, it was not a romantic setting but I did appreciate the valet parking and prompt reservation confirmation.Special Features:
- Special OccassionJohnnycomelatelyDined on 5/8/2014One of my wife's favorite restaurants. Good food and great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014We were blown away by Ocean. Every aspect of our meal, from the bread, drinks, appetizers, main course, and dessert, were top notch! We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableKTALVIPDined on 4/19/2014Food was really fresh and tasty! The scallops were the only dish that was average, but it could be a one time thing! Waiter was outstanding.......so knowledgable! Place is a little crowded and somewhat noisy, but I'd go back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creative menuLeighDined on 4/15/2014An out of town friend and I had dinner at Ocean. Once again, the menu was impressive and it was difficult to decide what to have. I tried the Baby Kale salad which was delicious. It was fresh, the Kale had a very good flavor without being sharp, and the other fresh ingredients together made it be a great spring salad. We decided to have appetizers as our main course because we were sure we needed dessert. The crab cakes were mostly lump crab meat and wonderful. Then, for dessert, I decided to have the ice cream selection. All three flavors were distinctive and delicious, but my favorite was the Lemon Basil--it was incredible.Special Features: