Ocean Prime - Indianapolis
8555 N. River Road
Indianapolis, IN 46240Neighborhood:
Castleton / Keystone Crossings
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Prime - Indianapolis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oceanprimeindy.com/
- Phone: (317) 569-0975
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Shawn O'Brien
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ocean Prime features a stunning private dining room, The Prime Room, accommodating up to 40 Guests. Our terrace is also available for private events, and the full restaurant is available for luncheon events. Please call 317.569.0975 for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Alex Schultz 3175690975x
- Entertainment: Ocean Prime features live piano music in our Blu Lounge beginning at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.
A word from Ocean Prime - Indianapolis
We create an extraordinary supper club experience serving the freshest seafood, prime steaks, handcrafted cocktails and world-class wines in a warm, welcoming atmosphere with genuine hospitality. Our executive chef uses only the finest and freshest ingredients to create inventive preparations of traditional favorites. Made from scratch dishes showcase simple, pure and regional flavors, and our menu features an array of appetizers, salads, seafood, steaks, family-style sides and house-made desserts from refreshing ahi tuna tartar, jumbo lump crab cakes & tender filet to creamy black truffle mac and cheese, succulent Chilean sea bass and decadent ten-layer carrot cake. Our well-trained bar chefs handcraft exciting cocktails, including our signature cucumber gimlet and smoking berries & bubbles. With our red carpet hospitality, Ocean Prime is the perfect destination for cocktails after work, dinner before or after the theatre, business meetings, social gatherings & everyday celebrations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ocean Prime - Indianapolis - Best Restaurants in Castleton / Keystone Crossings ›
Ocean Prime - Indianapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (166)romantic (123)fit for foodies (94)notable wine list (79)good for groups (56)vibrant bar scene (40)hot spot (39)great for outdoor dining (38)neighborhood gem (35)late-night find (17)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Fun NightTenniscatDined on 11/22/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere in the front bar. Three of us had the seafood special. 2 really enjoyed theirs but mine was very tough. I didn't eat 1/2 of it. The side dishes were good and the wine list very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fortieth birthday mealcelebratfunDined on 11/22/2014We requested a booth inside the restaurant and got a perfect table. Everyone was very nice and always saying happy birthday. The food was superb, especially the steak, which was served to two separate orders and no split plate fee. An excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food comes with a PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014I have been to Ocean Prime at least 5 times. The food is always superb. The service is always excellent. The bread and sides are great. It's a place we choose when we are willing to spend money and know it wont' let us down. The seafood is always fresh and well prepared. While I don't eat beef, our friend on Saturday said her steak was amazing. All that being said, there are very few, if no, bottles of wine under $45, and the total bill is around $200 before tip. As long as you are prepared for that, it is an excellent choice in fine dining and a special evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.NOLA4usDined on 11/15/2014Always exceptional. Seafood is very fresh and exceptionally prepared. Filet Oscar alone is worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Food was fabulously prepared and presented. Entertainment was a pleasant surprise and wonderful to boot. Being from out of town, it was great to meet locals who made our experience a great one. We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, fresh seafood and delicious, unique drinks.mcollinsDined on 11/14/2014Although a little pricey, you get what you pay for. It is a very nice, upscale restaurant with great food and drinks. If you're looking for a nice steak or delicious seafood, this is the place to go! Not to mention the drinks were unique and delicious. Both the bartender Wes, and our waiter, Scott are great at their jobs and made our experience there. I will be recommending this place to all of my friends.Special Features:
- So glad the outdoor bar has been winterized!NotafanVIPDined on 11/14/2014It was the first Friday of too-cold weather for this time of year. Best place for cocktail hour drinks is the Ocean Prime heated and enclosed outdoor bar! Lets you forget the mess outside. And the truffle popcorn is great, too. Though we were only there for drinks it's actually set up for dinner, too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!IndysocialDined on 11/11/2014Everything about our dining experience was outstanding. The atmosphere, food, service - I'm not sure any restaurant in Indy can top this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceChrisvDined on 11/11/2014We went out hoping for a good meal and got a great one. Meal was prepared perfectly. Our served, Tim, was knowledgeable about the menu and bar selections and was friendly and helpful offering options to add to our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best service!!!!MissyDined on 11/7/2014The atmosphere, ambiance, food and service was superb. Our waiter Darren was the best, he was attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu, he made some great suggestions, he recommended the Kansas city steak which I ordered that was delicious. The staff seemed to work so well together. I would highly recommend this restaurant! I will be goibg back next month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We went to celebrate our Anniversary. We loved the music in the bard area. We had a booth there for dinner and it was very romantic. The music, food and service was great. We will definitely go back. The scallops were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not as good as expectedReneeDined on 11/7/2014Ambiance was very nice. The scallops I ordered were really rubbery and chewy. One side was seared well, but the other was watery and unfinished. I couldn't finish them. I stole half of my husband's dinner, because I was starving and his chicken was very, very salty. The desserts were very good. Will not go back, because of the poor food. All of the staff were extremely friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceJackSkuattDined on 11/6/2014Made my 90 yr. old mother feel very special for her birthday.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicenestrada89Dined on 11/5/2014My family came to Ocean Prime to celebrate my mother's 50th birthday. We really wanted a special place that none of us had ever been before. The staff of Ocean Prime did not disappoint. From the moment we walked through the door they mentioned her birthday celebration and made the evening very special. It even included a special decoration on her dessert plate. Outside of that, the food was amazing. Sides can be purchased in a half portion allowing you to try a lot of different options. I recommend the smoked gouda tater tots as well as the roasted carrots. A great restaurant for any occasion or just for a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical of its GenreRockDined on 11/4/2014I have no regrets whatsoever about dining at Ocean Prime. We were seated in an excellent area. Not all areas are excellent. In our case, the atmosphere was outstanding. Our server was also outstanding. These two items tend to make the evening. Good atmosphere and a server who's happy to do the job: all is well. The steak was very good. The scallops were gritty, but I've never known whether to blame the kitchen or the ocean. Everyone was satisfied with their main dish. The sides, not so much. Although good enough, portions were small. 50% of sides left behind! What? Too small AND unfinished? Everyone was afraid to take a second spoonful. $10 per side - OP could do better. Typical of its genre in the dual of Form v Substance.Special Features:
- Top Notch ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014It was our first experience and it did not disappoint! From check in to check out it was fantastic! As our server Lori approached she called us by name which I thought gave the experience a more personable appeal. She was fun and very accommodating! This place is a must for a "Date Night"!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014Not worth the prices at all. Wouldn't go back. The service was not good and we felt like at times we were forgotten about. Would rather go to Ruth Chris or st. Elmo's where we know the food is worth the price and the service is so much better.Special Features:
- Very AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Had our anniversary dinner and took our 7 year old daughter. Wait staff was great. Daughter could not decide on 2 noodle dishes as her meal, so they have her half portions of both. Very nice and engaging with her as she was the only sub-teen in sight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought I would be more impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Requested a booth received follow up call for reservation and added the booth needed to be in quiet location. We were seated at the 1st booth from the entrance. Very noisy. Waiter seemed newish not very experienced in high end dining. 2 1/2 hours+ for dinner. Manager seemed like he was having a bad night (at a glance) he never acknowledge our table even passing us many times through the night. Enjoyed the food just wished service could have been top notch.Special Features:
- Outdoor bar the best.NotafanVIPDined on 10/31/2014See "A decent high end chain restaurant" and "sub-par" below. I don't need to take the time. Others have already.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!RCJCfavsDined on 10/26/2014Everything was awesome. Darren was our server and he was amazing! Best steak and lobster tail we've ever had. The jalapeño au gratin potatoes are a must and go on Sunday so you can have their butter cake. Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateEdwardsDined on 10/25/2014Everyone worked hard to make sure we had a great evening, from the moment we walked in the door. Every staff member we came into contact with was friendly and helpful. The service was amazing, and the food was really great. The fish (especially the tuna) was perfect. We went out to celebrate a special occasion and we're thrilled with how the evening went. I only wish we'd stopped in the bar, it looked fun. Looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A decent high end chain restaurant.Gigantor1964Dined on 10/25/2014Ocean View is a good, to very good, high end chain restaurant. The decor and ambiance are high points, and service was quite good. Food is decent, but at the end of the meal it surprised me to say that nothing really stood out. Everything, from appetizers to desert, was just...good. The trouble is that the prices suggest a much higher quality dining experience (for two of us with a modestly priced bottle of wine was over $300). A good place, but there are better dining choices here in Indy, and better high end chain restaurants (such as Fleming's).Special Features:
- Sub-primeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014The bread was the best part of the meal. Shrimp cocktail app was ok - cocktail sauce could use more horseradish. Presentation with dry ice is fun. Wedge salad was not good - lettuce wasn't that fresh and the ranch dressing doesn't have the right flavor. Entree sea bass was very disappointing. No taste & just blah - preparation added nothing. Scallops were ok but not great.
- Kitchen doorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Was excited to be going here for the first time, consequently was not familiar with the seating arrangements. As have i,t they seated us right by the kitchen door, which always proves to be busy and noisy. Noticed this too late to change. Was very disappointed that they would seat a first time guest(they asked us when we arrived) right by the kitchen door and have to endure this while spending over $200 for Dinner. They should know better. Will not be going back for sometime although everything else was great. It's like having a great trip, but losing your luggage! Disappointing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great! Yet Again!turbothrustDined on 10/23/2014I dined in the dining room on this occasion, which was a change for me as I usually dine in the bar area...Totally exceeded my expectations again! At first I was a little put off as my table was by the kitchen, but then it turned out to be my favorite table in the whole restaurant! I love oysters, and enjoyed watching the cooks shuck oysters right in the window by my table. It was really neat to get a glimpse of the hustle happening in the kitchen. Very cool and not noisy as I originally thought. Thank you again for a fantastic experience, and I look forward to another great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014Took guest from Japan there, great choice. Convenient location. Services was spot on. Food on the higher end on cost but the presentation and quality to match. Highly recommend for business and date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30th Anniversary DinnerOctober2inLoveDined on 10/20/2014I discovered Ocean prime 2 years ago when my wife and I were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary. I was so impressed by the Blackened Red Snapper, ambiance and service we received, we knew that we had discovered a gold mine. We returned for our 30th anniversary the other night and found the service to be impeccable, the Kansas City Strip and Lobster Tails were delightful. Ocean Prime turns any visit into a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated AnniversaryAM2PMVIPDined on 10/12/2014Had Anniversary celebrations there. Had a great time. Bubbles and Berries Drink was awesome! Must trySpecial Features:
- Disappointing experienceJohnKDined on 10/11/2014This was our first trip to Ocean Prime, and I was looking forward to an upscale experience and a wide variety of seafood with interesting preparations. My first impression was that the decor was like that of a dining room on a cruise ship--somewhat stately but bland and flat. (Also, some of the fixture obviously hadn't been cleaned in a while.) This isn't the restaurant's fault, but I was disappointed by how casually the patrons were dressed--some wearing jeans and ballcaps. Like I said, I was looking forward to a fancy experience. However, I also noticed that service staffers of the restaurant were hobnobbing very casually with patrons, sitting down and chatting with them for five or 10 minutes at a time. One woman in our section of the restaurant, who I think was an off-duty hostess sitting at a guest's table, was engaged in a multi-stage flirtation with a server who would stop by every few minutes. They then went off together a couple times and came back minutes later. ... As for the food, I was very disappointed in the variety of fish dishes on the menu. For an upscale seafood restaurant to just offer 10 seafood entrees, and for the most part the most obvious dishes (two salmons, a sea bass, a tilapia(!), etc.) was a real comedown. Our waiter was pushing the blackened snapper, which sounded like it was doused in several different preparations. That didn't give me much confidence in the kitchen. Once we ordered, the quality of the food was very pedestrian. We had the mussel appetizer, and the size and texture of the individual mussels was just sad. My wife had the House Salad, which purportedly contains field greens but was all romaine. I then had the scallops, which were fine. Not the best ever, not the worst. I will say that our waiter was very personable and efficient--by far the best part of the experience. There was a mixup at one point, however, and we didn't receive bread until our appetizers had arrived.
- Ocean PrimeDiner5Dined on 10/11/2014Strange, but the steak was better than the seafood. Very expensive so special occasion only. Too expensive to have to listen to a crying child.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantabulousRonniDined on 10/10/2014I fell in love with the food and service. Everything was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/7/2014Our server was wonderful. His name was Darren and he made our dinner a great experience.Special Features:
- great birthday dinnerGreatDined on 9/28/2014Service was great....food was good...had the lobster special on Sunday...a little pricey given the market price for lobster these days. lobster bisque was awesome..all in all very enjoyable. Love the manner in which they serve good scotchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as it getstcotaDined on 9/27/2014We live to come to Ocean Prime for any occasion. The staff is great and Rob is one of the best in the business. He paid attention to every detail that was needed. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome placefoodiegirlDined on 9/27/2014awesome food and quick efficient service. we love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Atmosphere for dinningDeliciousDined on 9/27/2014We were impressed with friendliness of the staff and waiters/waitress. It seemed that a different waiter delivered different food items to consume and we liked that we could get into a conversation with each. They did not seem rushed and gave the time to converse with us. Three of our party had steak and said it was great. I had the Salmon and it was one of the best I have ever had. And the carrot cake was plentiful and delicious. I have to say something about the bread. The waiter brought us two baskets of it and each time it was warm. We are on a mission to go through the alphabet and visit every eating establishment that begins with the letters A-Z. Ocean-Prime was our "O" and what a great pick. We shall return again.Special Features:
- DeliciousjanfamVIPDined on 9/26/2014Although we waited 45 minutes for our reserved table, the food was excellent. We enjoyed the beef fillet and salmon. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left with no desire to return...SimplePleasuresDined on 9/26/2014So, why wouldn't we want to return when we had great food, good wine and a wonderful server? Our dinner was disrupted 3 times as bussers bumped into our seated guest as they were maneuvering between tables. We spoke to the manager and his response was that the tables were close together. We said that is true, but one would assume that the bussers could at least apologize when they bump a seated guest or more space be provided between tables. This manager left the impression that he could care less. The irony was that we had dinner the evening before at a university banquet hall with 650 guests and we were never in harm of being knocked out of our chair.
- Enjoyable eveningkarshirey20Dined on 9/26/2014We visited Ocean Prime as part of the Northside Nights promotion. Our family enjoys time together at a higher end, fine dining establishment. 2 of 3 in our party ordered from the selected menu, the 3rd off the normal offerings. All 3 meals were divine and we will definitely be back. The service was top notch and rates very high on our list. The prices were very much what you expect at an upscale place, perhaps a little lower actually as it is away from downtown. We will be back!Special Features: