208 Ocean Ave.
Kennebunkport, ME 04046Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capearundelinn.com/
- Phone: 2079672125x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pierre Gignac
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ocean
In the heart of this mostly residential enclave, in a converted circa-1895 Shingle Style house, sits Ocean. Though the Inn has existed in one permutation or another since the 1950s, and it has long held a reputation for well-appointed lodgings and fine dining. The Innkeepers have filled the building with a striking art collection that could make small New England museums envious, while Chef Gignac uses the dining room—with its awe-inspiring views—as a canvas upon which to create epicurean masterpieces. Pierre Gignac graduated from the Institut d’Hôtellerie et de Tourisme du Québec. Pierre chose to open his first restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine “98 Provence," which pleased locals, tourists and critics for 18 years, until it closed in 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Ocean reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (182)special occasion (155)romantic (140)fit for foodies (126)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (35)great for brunch (10)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Classy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014This restaurant had been recommended to us by our son who visited this past summer. it was all he said it was, and is reflected in the ratings we attributed to the overall experience.we will certainly return on our next visit to Ogunquit Maine. Just a suggestion to consider-- though we were thanked for our visit and encouraged to come again by our waiter, upon leaving no one bid us farewell and a safe trip back home. the simple gesture would add to the warmth we felt while we were there and adds to the personal attention afforded guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnchantingJannieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Easily one our best ever dinners ever. Beautiful view of the Maine coast...The restaurant itself is just enchanting..Service impeccable...cannot say enough about the experience...anyone from Boston to Vermont should make this wonderful restaurant there favorite like we are going to..and we live in Chicago..Special Features:
- David22HDined on 9/13/2014My Wife and I had a lovely meal. The food was well prepared and appropriately priced. Laura P, our waitress was the most professional and enjoyable person we have waited on us in many years. Passionate, knowledgeably and kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointing wine menuFoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I love robust, big red wines but there was a poor selection of reds. Not sure why there were 3 Pinot Noirs on the menu of only 12 or so red bottles. They should have more varied price points and better selection of redsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the MarkAshevilleFoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very nice view of the Ocean with nice ambience. Service was so so. It started out well and rapidly went down hill. Servers seem to get busy and miss a lot of key steps. They are obviously not well trained in re-filling wine glasses. Multiple guests at multiple tables were left to refill their own wine glasses. Fine dining restaurants charging these prices do not make this mistake. Food was average at best and excessively priced. Way too many outstanding restaurants in Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Wells and Ogunquit to dine at Ocean.Special Features:
- No complaintsEconmaineDined on 9/11/2014This is an outstanding spot. We continue to enjoy everything about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a great viewPattyHDined on 9/9/2014had a wonderful, romantic dinner with my husband. food was delicious, service was perfectSpecial Features:
- LQNanaDined on 9/4/2014Love it! Always a special place! The view is gorgeous!!Special Features:
- Perfect!BenoitskyDined on 9/4/2014Great wine selection (French wines), gourmet food prepared perfectly, great bread beforehand, elegant service (multi-layered, polite, formal, respectful), amazing view of Ocean, well landscaped grounds. Perfect night.Special Features:
- Nice view - flies and cold airFoodieVisitingNYDined on 9/3/2014Had a nice corner table with a view of the water, but thats where all the flies in the restaurant live... Gross.. Food was good, not extraordinary and the crowd was vey Kennebunkport republican. Good for some but not for us.. Ordered a coffee that never came.. Go to Earth instead ! Unless you want this environment..
- Wonderful experience!AnneDined on 9/2/2014Very elegant yet relaxed, and enjoyable. Good choice of menu items. I had a pan seared swordfish dinner entrée encrusted with pine nuts and some other ingredients! Delish!Special Features:
- KPT Neighborhood DiningMainefoodieDined on 8/30/2014We live in the neighborhood but this was our first time at Ocean. We absolutely loved it and will recommend Ocean to family and friends who visit the area. The food, the service, the atmosphere and the view was amazing. We felt papered and unrushed. A real Gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Was absolutely PERFECT...We will be back.Food was excellent,lot of nice choices on the menu,wine list very interesting,lot of choices,service excellent too.The view on the sea is spectacular,quiet atmosphere and ambiance,relaxing place.The chef Pierre Gignac is a master of cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeverlyDined on 8/26/2014The menu was attractive; staff very personable and professional. Outside porch dining was outstanding and inside was almost like being outside. Lots of places to have appetizers from 3:00 to 5:00 - on the porch overlooking the ocean or in chairs on the lawn or in the sculpture area. I drove 1.5 hours to get there and took 2 hours to get home - all in an afternoon. That's how good Arundel Inn is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must-GoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Ocean at The Cape Arundel Inn boasts the creative menu of Pierre Gignac, formerly of 98 Province in Ogunquit. His food is very fresh and expertly prepared. The restaurant boasts large windows, perfect to watch the waves crash at sunset or for a scenic view of Walker's Point. Begin your meal with cocktails on the porch. A perfect summer evening was had by all.Special Features:
- What a great front porch view!bdpmVIPDined on 8/24/2014This place is very special. No bad seat in the restaurant. The ocean is RIGHT there. Lobster Thermidor was spectacular almond wither the lamb. The special cocktails are great I like Gin and the Alaskan was a treat. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastictevlinDined on 8/23/2014Had our anniversary dinner here. We actually debated going based on some reviews on other sites. Looking back we can't imagine why we second guessed it at all. Those other reviewers must be nuts! From beginning to end it was lovely and delicious. The view is fantastic. Drinks on the patio beforehand overlooking the water and the sun setting behind us. The waiters and waitresses were nice, attentive and not overbearing. The meal was delicious as were the appetizers. I had the bacon wrapped escargot and my wife the gazpacho - both wonderful. Dinner was steak for me and the fish for her. Again, perfectly done on both. Would definitely recommend and will hopefully return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing all around!lovemesomegoodgrubDined on 8/23/2014we celebrated our 10th anniversary and loved our experience! the day of, we asked to push our reservation an hour and a half later and the hostess was very helpful and accommodating. When we arrived about 30 mins early, we were led to the front deck and served drinks while we waited for our table. Do not miss this opportunity! the view from the deck is breathtaking and peaceful. all the tables for dining have a beautiful view as we'll, so you can't go wrong. The food was outstanding and portions just the right amount. My husband had the swordfish and loved it, I had the lobster and basically Licked my plate clean it was so delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an upscale restaurant, priced right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great way to spend an eveningTylerDined on 8/23/2014Great food, outstanding views of the ocean, nice atmosphere for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Very happy with our dining experience at Ocean. The view was amazing as well as the food. Very beautiful plating presentations. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Awesome view & food.PompanoDined on 8/22/2014The food was outstanding - a really wonderful place.Special Features:
- margDined on 8/19/2014Outstanding service, great food and amazing views of the ocean !Special Features:
- Go for the view.foodfanVIPDined on 8/18/2014The view is unparalleled. Food and service was good to very good, but it is the unobstructed ocean view that is the draw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casually elegant eveningMarkdvtDined on 8/17/2014We started with cocktails in big cozy wicker chairs on the veranda overlooking the ocean. Then when we were ready, we took our table in the comfortable and casually elegant dining room. The service was attentive although not engaging. The menu has a tight selection of creative options with a wine list that is not expansive, but seems well curated like the menu. The food and atmosphere made for a most pleasurable summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Nice Dinner...Made4livingDined on 8/17/2014We had an early dinner experience at the Ocean Restaurant during August. My wife ordered the Salmon dish and I ordered the Halibut. The food presentation was great and everything was cooked to perfection. The service was excellent and the Maine ocean views were wonderful. The restaurant was quiet and moderately busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great celebrationMikedrDined on 8/16/2014Just what we were looking for on our 45 th wedding anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewClassyViewDined on 8/16/2014If you are looking for a high quality, classy restaurant with great service and an incredible view of the ocean from any table, this is th eplace for you. Excellent menu selection. On the pricier side of the budget but worth it for special occasions or a once in a while treat.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Great food. Awesome place to go in kenneybunkport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean in KennebunkportLuvNYDined on 8/15/2014Very nice..food was great but the noise level was loud and distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flyingfoodieDined on 8/15/2014We were a party of 6. Our table was ready when we arrived early! Appetizers and main courses were enjoyed by all. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a quality dinner. Better than most in the area!Special Features:
- DukesterDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful atmosphere coupled with exquisite food. Our waiter was so attentive that when he noticed I had a small stain on my sweater from the beet salad, he quickly brought over a glass of club soda without me having to ask...now that's great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaniliseDined on 8/14/2014Le beef sirloin sauce foie gras était vraiment remarquable.Special Features:
- Disappointed in renovationsMadelineDined on 8/10/2014Since being taken over by a restaurant group to "make it more modern" this dining spot has lost all the Maine charm it once had. While the food and service are excellent and it still has a wonderful view, the interior is like any other restaurant in any other town. Sadly, we would not return here but would seek out another restaurant to satisfy our desire for a true Maine experience.Special Features:
- The Best of KennebunkportOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant has it all. Beautiful view of the Atlantic (and Walker's Point) visible from everywhere int he dining room through enormous windows. Pre-dinner cocktail on the porch before dinner. Incredible food and wonderful service. Don't miss this when you go to Kennebunkport. We go back annually and it always hits the mark!Special Features:
- Beyond OutstandingZannzieDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten at many 5 star restaurants but Ocean was without a doubt one of the absolute best. The chef should receive more reconizition because the food was beyond outstanding. The ambience soft, romantic, with a view of the ocean to die for. It couldn't have been a more perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Outstandinglove4foodDined on 8/7/2014Food, presentation,service, and atmosphere outstanding in a sophisticated beach chic Ocean front property in Kennebunkport, Maine. Sip cocktails and savor appetizers on the wrap around porch overlooking the ocean than enjoy a exceptionally wonderful meal prepared by Chief Pierre with stunning views of the Atlantic from the beautiful dining room. A must have experience.Special Features:
- OceanLEHAVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was our second visit, the first being a year ago. It was even better than the first time. The dining room is beautiful and the seating spaced so that dinner is a really enjoyable experience. Everything was superb including the waitress who was lovely and extremely helpful. We were the last guests to leave and insisted on thanking the chef personally. A wonderful experience that we look forward to repeating next year.Special Features:
- great view, great foodskippounetDined on 8/6/2014This was our third visit to Ocean and it is still one of the best restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing nightchoosydinerDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant is beautiful. The views of the ocean are fantastic and the whole ambiance is very special. We had a spectacular meal and the service was outstanding. We got there a little early and wanted to enjoy a drink outside on the porch. Even though our table was ready, they were extremely accommodating and led us right out to the porch. Leigh was especially personable and friendly the whole night. We sat right by the windows in a lovely table. Food was fantastic. The server was extremely knowledgeable and helped my husband choose between two dishes. We shared the gazpacho (which was a special) and the beet salad - both out of the world! My husband had the filet and I had the lobster. Both were fantastic. This is a gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014A gem. Great food, beautiful view, excellent service. We will be back.Special Features: