208 Ocean Ave.
Kennebunkport, ME 04046Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capearundelinn.com/
- Phone: 2079672125x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pierre Gignac
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ocean
In the heart of this mostly residential enclave, in a converted circa-1895 Shingle Style house, sits Ocean. Though the Inn has existed in one permutation or another since the 1950s, and it has long held a reputation for well-appointed lodgings and fine dining. The Innkeepers have filled the building with a striking art collection that could make small New England museums envious, while Chef Gignac uses the dining room—with its awe-inspiring views—as a canvas upon which to create epicurean masterpieces. Pierre Gignac graduated from the Institut d’Hôtellerie et de Tourisme du Québec. Pierre chose to open his first restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine “98 Provence," which pleased locals, tourists and critics for 18 years, until it closed in 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ocean reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (157)special occasion (134)romantic (122)fit for foodies (111)notable wine list (30)neighborhood gem (28)great for brunch (12)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- BeverlyDined on 8/26/2014The menu was attractive; staff very personable and professional. Outside porch dining was outstanding and inside was almost like being outside. Lots of places to have appetizers from 3:00 to 5:00 - on the porch overlooking the ocean or in chairs on the lawn or in the sculpture area. I drove 1.5 hours to get there and took 2 hours to get home - all in an afternoon. That's how good Arundel Inn is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must-GoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Ocean at The Cape Arundel Inn boasts the creative menu of Pierre Gignac, formerly of 98 Province in Ogunquit. His food is very fresh and expertly prepared. The restaurant boasts large windows, perfect to watch the waves crash at sunset or for a scenic view of Walker's Point. Begin your meal with cocktails on the porch. A perfect summer evening was had by all.Special Features:
- What a great front porch view!bdpmVIPDined on 8/24/2014This place is very special. No bad seat in the restaurant. The ocean is RIGHT there. Lobster Thermidor was spectacular almond wither the lamb. The special cocktails are great I like Gin and the Alaskan was a treat. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastictevlinDined on 8/23/2014Had our anniversary dinner here. We actually debated going based on some reviews on other sites. Looking back we can't imagine why we second guessed it at all. Those other reviewers must be nuts! From beginning to end it was lovely and delicious. The view is fantastic. Drinks on the patio beforehand overlooking the water and the sun setting behind us. The waiters and waitresses were nice, attentive and not overbearing. The meal was delicious as were the appetizers. I had the bacon wrapped escargot and my wife the gazpacho - both wonderful. Dinner was steak for me and the fish for her. Again, perfectly done on both. Would definitely recommend and will hopefully return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing all around!lovemesomegoodgrubDined on 8/23/2014we celebrated our 10th anniversary and loved our experience! the day of, we asked to push our reservation an hour and a half later and the hostess was very helpful and accommodating. When we arrived about 30 mins early, we were led to the front deck and served drinks while we waited for our table. Do not miss this opportunity! the view from the deck is breathtaking and peaceful. all the tables for dining have a beautiful view as we'll, so you can't go wrong. The food was outstanding and portions just the right amount. My husband had the swordfish and loved it, I had the lobster and basically Licked my plate clean it was so delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an upscale restaurant, priced right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great way to spend an eveningTylerDined on 8/23/2014Great food, outstanding views of the ocean, nice atmosphere for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- margDined on 8/19/2014Outstanding service, great food and amazing views of the ocean !Special Features:
- Go for the view.foodfanVIPDined on 8/18/2014The view is unparalleled. Food and service was good to very good, but it is the unobstructed ocean view that is the draw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casually elegant eveningMarkdvtDined on 8/17/2014We started with cocktails in big cozy wicker chairs on the veranda overlooking the ocean. Then when we were ready, we took our table in the comfortable and casually elegant dining room. The service was attentive although not engaging. The menu has a tight selection of creative options with a wine list that is not expansive, but seems well curated like the menu. The food and atmosphere made for a most pleasurable summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Nice Dinner...Made4livingDined on 8/17/2014We had an early dinner experience at the Ocean Restaurant during August. My wife ordered the Salmon dish and I ordered the Halibut. The food presentation was great and everything was cooked to perfection. The service was excellent and the Maine ocean views were wonderful. The restaurant was quiet and moderately busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great celebrationMikedrDined on 8/16/2014Just what we were looking for on our 45 th wedding anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014If you are looking for a high quality, classy restaurant with great service and an incredible view of the ocean from any table, this is th eplace for you. Excellent menu selection. On the pricier side of the budget but worth it for special occasions or a once in a while treat.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Great food. Awesome place to go in kenneybunkport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean in KennebunkportLuvNYDined on 8/15/2014Very nice..food was great but the noise level was loud and distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flyingfoodieDined on 8/15/2014We were a party of 6. Our table was ready when we arrived early! Appetizers and main courses were enjoyed by all. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a quality dinner. Better than most in the area!Special Features:
- DukesterDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful atmosphere coupled with exquisite food. Our waiter was so attentive that when he noticed I had a small stain on my sweater from the beet salad, he quickly brought over a glass of club soda without me having to ask...now that's great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaniliseDined on 8/14/2014Le beef sirloin sauce foie gras était vraiment remarquable.Special Features:
- Disappointed in renovationsMadelineDined on 8/10/2014Since being taken over by a restaurant group to "make it more modern" this dining spot has lost all the Maine charm it once had. While the food and service are excellent and it still has a wonderful view, the interior is like any other restaurant in any other town. Sadly, we would not return here but would seek out another restaurant to satisfy our desire for a true Maine experience.Special Features:
- The Best of KennebunkportOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant has it all. Beautiful view of the Atlantic (and Walker's Point) visible from everywhere int he dining room through enormous windows. Pre-dinner cocktail on the porch before dinner. Incredible food and wonderful service. Don't miss this when you go to Kennebunkport. We go back annually and it always hits the mark!Special Features:
- Beyond OutstandingZannzieDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten at many 5 star restaurants but Ocean was without a doubt one of the absolute best. The chef should receive more reconizition because the food was beyond outstanding. The ambience soft, romantic, with a view of the ocean to die for. It couldn't have been a more perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Outstandinglove4foodDined on 8/7/2014Food, presentation,service, and atmosphere outstanding in a sophisticated beach chic Ocean front property in Kennebunkport, Maine. Sip cocktails and savor appetizers on the wrap around porch overlooking the ocean than enjoy a exceptionally wonderful meal prepared by Chief Pierre with stunning views of the Atlantic from the beautiful dining room. A must have experience.Special Features:
- OceanLEHAVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was our second visit, the first being a year ago. It was even better than the first time. The dining room is beautiful and the seating spaced so that dinner is a really enjoyable experience. Everything was superb including the waitress who was lovely and extremely helpful. We were the last guests to leave and insisted on thanking the chef personally. A wonderful experience that we look forward to repeating next year.Special Features:
- great view, great foodskippounetDined on 8/6/2014This was our third visit to Ocean and it is still one of the best restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing nightchoosydinerDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant is beautiful. The views of the ocean are fantastic and the whole ambiance is very special. We had a spectacular meal and the service was outstanding. We got there a little early and wanted to enjoy a drink outside on the porch. Even though our table was ready, they were extremely accommodating and led us right out to the porch. Leigh was especially personable and friendly the whole night. We sat right by the windows in a lovely table. Food was fantastic. The server was extremely knowledgeable and helped my husband choose between two dishes. We shared the gazpacho (which was a special) and the beet salad - both out of the world! My husband had the filet and I had the lobster. Both were fantastic. This is a gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014A gem. Great food, beautiful view, excellent service. We will be back.Special Features:
- WowLargebDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I had dinner there recently for our anniversary. I don't normally use superlatives but the dinner was great in every way, from the table - one of us overlooked the ocean and the other overlooked Walker's Point, the food - the lobster and scallops and yellow tomato gazpacho especially were amazing, the wine and our server Greg. We also were given a couple of glasses of complimentary champagne for our anniversary. This was an experience we will long remember. In fact ,we enjoyed it so much we booked for my wife's sister and brother in law to go there for their anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow Wow WowEastcoastdeliciousDined on 8/4/2014We had a fabulous time at Ocean. Everything from the moment we were greeted at the front door, to the moment we left, was absolutely phenomenal. Our waitress, Laura, was an a gem. She was friendly, patient, and took the time to explain all of the various servings with passion and detail. We met some wonderful people form NYC, who made the experience even more memorable. Bravo, Bravo, Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJGDGDined on 8/2/2014Celebrating 17th Anniversary. Food was great and you cannot find better views or a more romantic setting anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice eveningRichmondDiner19Dined on 8/2/2014ocean is located just North of downtown Kennebunkport, across from Walkers Point (the Bush Homestead). Part of an Inn, the restaurant is inviting with a large outdoor porch where you can look at the water, enjoy drinks and just take in the beautiful scenery. Seated right in the front corner by the window we were able to enjoyed the view of the water. Although a busy Saturday there was NO rush and the ambiance felt relaxed/not hectic; the meal was well paced and very good. Beet Salad was well prepared and my Tuna dish (the special) was excellently prepared leaning towards the rare side as ordered. Wife's fish was also very good, a uniquely prepared swordfish which avoided being dry as it can often be presented. A VERY nice evening and meal.Special Features:
- Great food, terrible bar experienceNycChiKrisDined on 8/2/2014The location was perfect, the view and food was excellent. We had foise grois and scallops to start, then each had the poached lobster which was excellent. Unfortunately our experience started with ordering wine at the bar and being harassed by the bar tender. She was a young woman with a chip on her shoulder who barked at us and demanded not only ID from my 29 yr old girlfriend, but also asked for 2 credit cards to verify the ID. Very inappropriate...the manager at least acknowledged it, and comped our drinks, but it left a bad taste. Otherwise food was great, but there are many great restaurants around, so I would not go back.Special Features:
- Fabulous eveningYellowpurseVIPDined on 8/1/2014Food was incredible! Gazpacho is not to be missed. Wife had poached lobster I had Berkshire pork. Really a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oceans aka Cape Arundel InnmaisiejudeDined on 8/1/2014We LOVE it here! Cocktails on the veranda overlooking the ocean, then a perfectly prepared meal which may include the freshest of seafood! The wait staff are well trained and professional. What's not to love?! It is a bit pricey so we save this restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Splendid diningPortlanderDined on 7/26/2014The menu is enticing, the preparation and presentation beautiful, and the food delicious and creative. The waitress Laura was wonderfully helpful, efficient, and a delight to meet - we had seen great comments in Trip Advisor and they were well merited. The swordfish was superb and the lobster delicious. Salads were creative and the greens wonderfully fresh. As an Oregonian, it was great to see some Oregon wines on the list. Would love to make this a regular stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at OceanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014recently had dinner at Ocean based on the info that the chef was from 98 Provence. Dinner was absolutely fantastic. A simple salad was superb (always a good sign). Swordfish was fantastic; lamb loin was excellent (from my husband who loves lamb). All the side dishes were great. Sorbet dessert was refreshing and simple. The room is so pretty. The service is wonderful. We highly recommend dinner at Ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't find better than Ocean!SueHDined on 7/24/2014We have always loved Chef Pierre Gignac and were thrilled to find he is now at Ocean. His food is always beyond compare, with fresh ingredients and creative combinations that will delight any foodie. The atmosphere at Ocean is phenomenal as well. The ocean view is one of the nicest you will ever find, the dining area is elegant and upscale, and the whole experience is just simply unbeatable. The waitstaff is attentive without being overbearing, the pace of the meal is just right, and the location is perfect. If you are looking for the perfect place for a special occasion or an amazing restaurant for no occasion at all, Ocean is the spot. I can't say enough about this wonderful gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view disappointing food1DiningDivaVIPDined on 7/23/2014On a Wednesday night at 7 pm we thought that it would be moderately busy but our dinner lasted almost 3 hours, owing to the slow service and number of people in the dining room. My dining companions. two others, were very happy with both their gazpacho and their entrees - tuna "odd tastes" but he got used to them and lamb - she cleaned her plate. But the most expensive dish on the menu - the beef with truffles, foie gras (never saw the latter and could not taste the former - featured hard "cooked carrots and over-cooked petite squash. Tasteless end cuts of beef, tough, fatty and difficult to cut - arrived after an hour wait. The fish soup the preceded it was excellent.Special Features:
- Succulent !LamateurdebonnechairDined on 7/23/2014Best table that we know of in this area since P.R.O.V.E.N.C.E. Probably better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/23/2014When I found out that Ocean's chef was formally at the helm of 98 Provence, I knew we'd be in for a treat! It found not have been better! The food here is magnificent; so is the view! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/22/2014The ambiance and the position of the venue are the outstanding features. Food as well as the service were very good, but not exceptional. The fish soup was the highlight. The duck breast dish was inspired, but the lamb was not! Wine list was quite disappointing with prices that were not justified by the quality. An experience in Kennebunkport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean occasionTessaDined on 7/20/2014Very good food. Super accommodating service. Really enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.