208 Ocean Ave.
Kennebunkport, ME 04046Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capearundelinn.com/
- Phone: 2079672125x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Pierre Gignac
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ocean
In the heart of this mostly residential enclave, in a converted circa-1895 Shingle Style house, sits Ocean. Though the Inn has existed in one permutation or another since the 1950s, and it has long held a reputation for well-appointed lodgings and fine dining. The Innkeepers have filled the building with a striking art collection that could make small New England museums envious, while Chef Gignac uses the dining room—with its awe-inspiring views—as a canvas upon which to create epicurean masterpieces. Pierre Gignac graduated from the Institut d’Hôtellerie et de Tourisme du Québec. Pierre chose to open his first restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine “98 Provence," which pleased locals, tourists and critics for 18 years, until it closed in 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ocean reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (188)special occasion (158)romantic (142)fit for foodies (128)notable wine list (39)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (12)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We had a lovely night with excellent service and food. Best restaurant in town, by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Not the best experience. Ran out of the special. Service was less than I expected for a higher priced location.Special Features:
- rocky startlovefoodDined on 10/18/2014The only negative was we waited 45 mins to get seated even with an 8pm reservation. They were apologetic and sent complimentary appetizer. Overall great night for a special occasion and the food did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014The restaurant as much improved over the last three years.We were off season and it was nearly full which is a testimony to the reputation of the restaurant. Friends of ours were there a few weeks ago and they met the Bush family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly special spot.Schs71aviddinerDined on 10/12/2014The view was incredible. Terrific fall landscaping made the approach to the porch so pretty. Great food: the foie gras and escargots were delicious and nucely plated. The Maine lobster was prepared differently than the usual boiled and buttered and was delicious. The young server made us wary at first but her service and wine opening and serving were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantMillehillDined on 10/9/2014The ambience and view are unbeatable, especially at sunset. And the food is outstanding!Special Features:
- 4th visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014only one meal out of 4 visits has been worth the visit. And the thoughts expresses would be same for all guests with me.
- MemorableOscarDined on 10/8/2014Classy interior with an outstanding view. Thoughtfully designed menu with excellent selection of dishes cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Service friendly, well mannered and efficient but needs a little polish for this level of dining.Special Features:
- Excellent but loudSwisstouristDined on 10/3/2014Good was very good, wine list interesting with some not easily found gems. Service was fantastic. BUT: in the evening don't expect to be able to hear your dinner companion. tables are close together and the place is extremely loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestRMBivoneDined on 10/3/2014Th food, service and scenic view are worth the trip. Our first time in the area and this is a place to visit.Special Features:
- Food Matches ViewPickyEaterDined on 9/28/2014How do you spell O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G? Food, quiet ambiance, service and all with a Maine glorious ocean view.Special Features:
- If you're looking for perfection...OceanloverDined on 9/28/2014This is it! The full package--the hostess, the food, the service, view and ambience. A great place for a birthday dinner.Special Features:
- fabulous experience at OceanhappyDined on 9/28/2014We celebrated our 30th Anniversary at Ocean. The service was outstanding, Laura paid attention to every detail. She provided us with the best table in the house, a corner with a romantic feel and a spectacular view. The complimentary Champagne was a nice touch, and the food did not disappoint... it was hot, delicious and the portion size was perfect. The salads were yummy, and the goat cheese on them was creamy and probably the smoothest I have ever tasted!! Laura suggested the Sword fish special which was pleasing to say the least. We relaxed on the lovely front porch after dinner taking in the sound of the ocean... all in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new look!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014It has been a few years since we've dined at Cape Arundel. We were so pleasantly surprised by the upgraded décor - really beautifully done. The food was nothing short of outstanding - yellow tomato gazpacho (a little sweet), olives (can't go wrong), chick pea fries (amazing), and the most delicious swordfish * with green peppercorn sauce * I've had in years. We will definitely return on our next trip north - July 2015 seems so far away :( !Special Features:
- Breathtaking!Jf1070depotDined on 9/26/2014We've visited Ocean annually during our Fall sojourn to southern Maine. The food and service have always been great and on the last visit they were the best ever. The view of the Ocean and the Bush compound at Walker Point add another dimension to the dining experience. If you're going for dinner book early enough while there is still some daylight to enjoy the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great view.ReviewGuyDined on 9/22/2014Great service and food. Incredible view of the ocean. Come in advance to sit on the porch for a glass of wine before dinner and watch the sunset colors on the water.Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerBostonianDined on 9/21/2014Had a great dinner at Ocean this weekend. It was our anniversary. They presented us with a glass of champagne while they set our table by the window. Unfortunately it was foggy but the setting was very pretty. Service was excellent. The waitress really went out of her way to make everything special. I asked if they had gazpacho soup and though it wasn't on the menu she was able to serve us some. The gazpacho soup was delicious and the swordfish was probably the best I have ever had. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy restaurantvisitorsfromafarDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant had been recommended to us by our son who visited this past summer. it was all he said it was, and is reflected in the ratings we attributed to the overall experience.we will certainly return on our next visit to Ogunquit Maine. Just a suggestion to consider-- though we were thanked for our visit and encouraged to come again by our waiter, upon leaving no one bid us farewell and a safe trip back home. the simple gesture would add to the warmth we felt while we were there and adds to the personal attention afforded guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnchantingJannieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Easily one our best ever dinners ever. Beautiful view of the Maine coast...The restaurant itself is just enchanting..Service impeccable...cannot say enough about the experience...anyone from Boston to Vermont should make this wonderful restaurant there favorite like we are going to..and we live in Chicago..Special Features:
- David22HDined on 9/13/2014My Wife and I had a lovely meal. The food was well prepared and appropriately priced. Laura P, our waitress was the most professional and enjoyable person we have waited on us in many years. Passionate, knowledgeably and kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointing wine menuFoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I love robust, big red wines but there was a poor selection of reds. Not sure why there were 3 Pinot Noirs on the menu of only 12 or so red bottles. They should have more varied price points and better selection of redsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the MarkAshevilleFoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Very nice view of the Ocean with nice ambience. Service was so so. It started out well and rapidly went down hill. Servers seem to get busy and miss a lot of key steps. They are obviously not well trained in re-filling wine glasses. Multiple guests at multiple tables were left to refill their own wine glasses. Fine dining restaurants charging these prices do not make this mistake. Food was average at best and excessively priced. Way too many outstanding restaurants in Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Wells and Ogunquit to dine at Ocean.Special Features:
- No complaintsEconmaineDined on 9/11/2014This is an outstanding spot. We continue to enjoy everything about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableOldromanticsDined on 9/10/2014Staying at the Cape Arundel Inn for 2 days, we ate both breakfast and dinner at the Inn's Ocean restaurant both days. All meals were such a delight - the food, the service and the ambiance. The view from the restaurant is unforgettable - the waves breaking on the rocks below, moonlight reflected off the dappled ocean, seagulls floating on the breeze, etc. Conversation with the chef was an added bonus.Special Features:
- what a great viewPattyHVIPDined on 9/9/2014had a wonderful, romantic dinner with my husband. food was delicious, service was perfectSpecial Features:
- Ocean?Walt46Dined on 9/9/2014It's across the street from the ocean - the way it's been described you'd think it's on a pier. Food V Good, small portions, good service, not worth all the hype.Special Features:
- LQNanaDined on 9/4/2014Love it! Always a special place! The view is gorgeous!!Special Features:
- Perfect!BenoitskyDined on 9/4/2014Great wine selection (French wines), gourmet food prepared perfectly, great bread beforehand, elegant service (multi-layered, polite, formal, respectful), amazing view of Ocean, well landscaped grounds. Perfect night.Special Features:
- Nice view - flies and cold airFoodieVisitingNYDined on 9/3/2014Had a nice corner table with a view of the water, but thats where all the flies in the restaurant live... Gross.. Food was good, not extraordinary and the crowd was vey Kennebunkport republican. Good for some but not for us.. Ordered a coffee that never came.. Go to Earth instead ! Unless you want this environment..
- Wonderful experience!AnneDined on 9/2/2014Very elegant yet relaxed, and enjoyable. Good choice of menu items. I had a pan seared swordfish dinner entrée encrusted with pine nuts and some other ingredients! Delish!Special Features:
- KPT Neighborhood DiningMainefoodieDined on 8/30/2014We live in the neighborhood but this was our first time at Ocean. We absolutely loved it and will recommend Ocean to family and friends who visit the area. The food, the service, the atmosphere and the view was amazing. We felt papered and unrushed. A real Gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Was absolutely PERFECT...We will be back.Food was excellent,lot of nice choices on the menu,wine list very interesting,lot of choices,service excellent too.The view on the sea is spectacular,quiet atmosphere and ambiance,relaxing place.The chef Pierre Gignac is a master of cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeverlyDined on 8/26/2014The menu was attractive; staff very personable and professional. Outside porch dining was outstanding and inside was almost like being outside. Lots of places to have appetizers from 3:00 to 5:00 - on the porch overlooking the ocean or in chairs on the lawn or in the sculpture area. I drove 1.5 hours to get there and took 2 hours to get home - all in an afternoon. That's how good Arundel Inn is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must-GoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Ocean at The Cape Arundel Inn boasts the creative menu of Pierre Gignac, formerly of 98 Province in Ogunquit. His food is very fresh and expertly prepared. The restaurant boasts large windows, perfect to watch the waves crash at sunset or for a scenic view of Walker's Point. Begin your meal with cocktails on the porch. A perfect summer evening was had by all.Special Features:
- What a great front porch view!bdpmVIPDined on 8/24/2014This place is very special. No bad seat in the restaurant. The ocean is RIGHT there. Lobster Thermidor was spectacular almond wither the lamb. The special cocktails are great I like Gin and the Alaskan was a treat. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastictevlinDined on 8/23/2014Had our anniversary dinner here. We actually debated going based on some reviews on other sites. Looking back we can't imagine why we second guessed it at all. Those other reviewers must be nuts! From beginning to end it was lovely and delicious. The view is fantastic. Drinks on the patio beforehand overlooking the water and the sun setting behind us. The waiters and waitresses were nice, attentive and not overbearing. The meal was delicious as were the appetizers. I had the bacon wrapped escargot and my wife the gazpacho - both wonderful. Dinner was steak for me and the fish for her. Again, perfectly done on both. Would definitely recommend and will hopefully return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing all around!lovemesomegoodgrubDined on 8/23/2014we celebrated our 10th anniversary and loved our experience! the day of, we asked to push our reservation an hour and a half later and the hostess was very helpful and accommodating. When we arrived about 30 mins early, we were led to the front deck and served drinks while we waited for our table. Do not miss this opportunity! the view from the deck is breathtaking and peaceful. all the tables for dining have a beautiful view as we'll, so you can't go wrong. The food was outstanding and portions just the right amount. My husband had the swordfish and loved it, I had the lobster and basically Licked my plate clean it was so delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an upscale restaurant, priced right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great way to spend an eveningTylerDined on 8/23/2014Great food, outstanding views of the ocean, nice atmosphere for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Very happy with our dining experience at Ocean. The view was amazing as well as the food. Very beautiful plating presentations. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Awesome view & food.PompanoDined on 8/22/2014The food was outstanding - a really wonderful place.Special Features: