Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: (212) 579-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email email@example.com.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (130)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (73)great for brunch (59)great for outdoor dining (46)great for lunch (45)good for groups (42)romantic (33)notable wine list (26)kid-friendly (20)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- Excellent place for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/9/2009Excellent place for lunch. Great value. Comfortable setting. Can actually carry out a conversation
- Had the most amazing pancakesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2009Had the most amazing pancakes that day. Still love the crab benedict. I suggest this place as one of my (if not the) favorite brunch places in the City to my friends.Special Features:
- Everyone in my group of 5MichaelVIPDined on 6/6/2009Everyone in my group of 5 was delighted with the food- everything seemed to be prepared and presented perfectly. Service was good and our waitress was knowledgeable and accomodating. A bit noisy at times, but not over the top. A Very nice place - a bit too pricy to be called a "neighborhood" place- dinner for 5 with one decent bottle of wine and deserts was in the $250 range before tip. This is a good place to celebrate a birthday or anniversary or at least your kid getting into a decent school!Special Features:
- Much too noisy - server dissapearedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/5/2009Much too noisy - server dissapeared at end of email - took over 10 minutes to get hot beverage.
- focus on fish kitchen is verybillVIPDined on 6/5/2009focus on fish kitchen is very customer friendly service is sometimes slow, when the restaurant is jammedSpecial Features:
- Once again, fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2009Once again, fantastic food and wonderful service. One of our favorites for seafood!
- Terrific food - great suggestionsJzeatsVIPDined on 6/4/2009Terrific food - great suggestions from the waiter. Coconut mahi mahi was outstanding. Good oysters too.Special Features:
- Service from the moment weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2009Service from the moment we walked in was outstanding. The lobster coctail was to die for. At least a pound served in the shell (tail and claws), but easy to remove. Any non-"Mainer" would appreciate. It came with four dipping sauces, none of which were butter which was fine. Wife had the Chilean Sea Bass which she loved. Great taste, cooked to perfection and lovely plate setting. I opted for two rolls. The Filet Mignon Roll may seem counter intuitive for a sushi roll, but it blew me away. Ending with dessert the malt crunch ice cream caought my eye. Even better that it also was offered on top of the Molten Chocolate cake. Boo Ya !!! Lastly our waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable without being annoying. Kudos to him.Special Features:
- The entire experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2009The entire experience was very good. My reservation was recognized immediately, I was seated even though my guest had not yet arrived, the waitress was informative and pleasant, and the food was perhaps not superb but it was pleasant. (e.g., the soft shell crab had a bit too much strong sauce on it for my taste, which overcame the delicacy of the crab, but it still was enjoyable overall.) The cost was quite reasonable. I would definitely recommend it, especially for that neighborhood, and will go there again. My guest felt the same way.Special Features:
- Five people: five deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/2/2009Five people: five delicious au d'oeuvres, five yummy entrees. My fried calamari, to start, came with two fragrant dipping sauces. I chose from the sushi bar, and had rolls that packed unique delicate flavors. Just loved my meal. Welcoming room, lovely wait staff.
- Love Ocean Grill- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/1/2009Love Ocean Grill- great food and service on a consistent basis.Special Features:
- Very good. At first they wantedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/1/2009Very good. At first they wanted to give us a table in the center of the room which would have not been pleasant. We asked for a more private table, and they concurred with a table in a different room. The waiter was friendly and helpful but seemed to have some kind of respiratory problem. The food was very good. We received a parting present of delicious scones, which made our visit memorable.Special Features:
- Dinner was pleasant and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2009Dinner was pleasant and food was good. No vegetables and carbs were served with dinner. Food was simple, not gourmet. Three of us were served main course and they forgot the order of the 4th till we called over the manager. Reliable but not exciting.Special Features:
- Our party of five had a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2009Our party of five had a very nice experience for dinner. Although the din was rather high and it made it difficult to hear each other speak, we had a very nice time. The food was delicious, the service was very nice and all in all, an excellent dinner. My guest who has fish and chips everywhere he goes, was impressed by the fish and chips.Special Features:
- Too loud; eager but spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/29/2009Too loud; eager but spotty service; lllllllooooooonnnnnnngggg wait for entree. What's with the music?
- I've frequented Ocean GrillMONYC1999VIPDined on 5/27/2009I've frequented Ocean Grill over the last several years and have NEVER been disappointed. The food is always fantastic, especially the specials. The chopped salad is the best I've found in NY. It's on the loud side, but there is enough space between tables, so you don't feel like you are dining with your neighbors. The servers are attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- I celebrated a Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/27/2009I celebrated a Birthday dinner there recently and had a very nice experience. On the open table reservation I requested a romantic table and for them to bring a slice of cake with a candle. Not only did they give us the best seat in the house and bring the cake, we received champagne on the house. Thank you Ocean Grill for a excellent B-day celebration.Special Features:
- This was truly a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2009This was truly a wonderful dining experience. Both the service and the food was outstanding. B. R. Guest chef's know how to cook.Special Features:
- We were disappointed in theFine2dineVIPDined on 5/24/2009We were disappointed in the food.Seleted from the price fixed menu which seemed interesting. The watermelon gazpacheo was great but every thing else was uninspiring.Special Features:
- Very customer focused, impeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2009Very customer focused, impeccable and efficient service, great food
- Attentive wait staff. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2009Attentive wait staff. Good service. Would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Very well prepared and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2009Very well prepared and delicious food. Good desserts. Sidewalk tables a plus. Service was pleasant but slow, and wine service was below average.Special Features:
- We had a great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/23/2009We had a great dining experience at Ocean Grill. The service & food was excellent. We are never afraid to order fish here.
- Outside dining was most enjoyable.borntoeatVIPDined on 5/23/2009Outside dining was most enjoyable. Service was very good. Food preparation was mediocre. Seafood salad was lackluster. Rhubarb berry crisp was heavy duty on the crisp and low on the fruit. Dessert was too heavy-Special Features:
- Recent new GM, Ricardo, hasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/22/2009Recent new GM, Ricardo, has upgraded this old favorite to a foodie favorite. He and his top brass understands client relations. No need to decide on Sushi or Continental. Ocean Grill can compete with the NYC sushi restaurants. The pre-fixed menus are delicious and economically appropriate. After meeting Ricardo, my husband and I can't remember ever seeing the other GMs in the restaurant before Ricardo.Special Features:
- I am a repeat customer. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/21/2009I am a repeat customer. My evening on May 21st was outstanding. Cold Veuve Cliquot and a tremendously fresh shellfish stack were a great start. Excellent dinners (soft shells prepared perfectly and scallops and bass that were fresh and cooked just right) and the desserts were delicious. We received a complimentary chocolate fondue which was fun. The staff was supremely friendly and attentive and each course was served promptly and with a smile.
- Unfortunately the serviceTomcatVIPDined on 5/20/2009Unfortunately the service was very poor. It took us almost 30 min (!) to get the water, our oyster order was lost, so it took another 15 min to have them served. The waitress repeatedly apologized for all the delays and mishapps; the service was obviously overwhelmed by the customer volume, unfortunately this made the dining experience a poor one. The food was great though.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful after-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2009We had a wonderful after-theater dinner. Sitting outside opposite the Museum of Natural History was delightful. The food was delicious and the staff attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- Another B-R Guest gem! AsCather123VIPDined on 5/19/2009Another B-R Guest gem! As a big fan of Primehouse NY, but not so crazy about Dos Caminos and Blue Water Grill, I was not sure how I would find the Ocean Grill. I was really happy with the whole experience and will return soon. And I was particularly delighted because it was my mom's 90th birthday lunch, and they treated her like a queen.Special Features:
- It's great to still have aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2009It's great to still have a romantic restaurant in the neighborhood that stands out. Great location and would have enjoyed eating out if it was a bit warmer. Food was very good - portion size was not overwhelming. The wait staff was turning over @ the time of our dinner so that was the only negative part of the dinner. Would definitely come back for a family affair.Special Features:
- I enjoyed Ocean Grill veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2009I enjoyed Ocean Grill very much. The spicy crunchy shrimp sandwich was amazing! I will definitely go back to Ocean Grill!Special Features:
- Fantastic brunch. Had theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2009Fantastic brunch. Had the crabcake benedict; the home fries came out a little burnt, but the whole meal was very tasty. Brunch came with coffee/tea + juice/bellini/mimosa, etc. Would definitely go again for brunch.Special Features:
- Went there for my birthday.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2009Went there for my birthday. The food was fabulous and the service great. I had a wonderful birthday.
- My family has been to OceanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2009My family has been to Ocean Grill four times since early April. We're almost reluctant to try another restaurant on the UWS. Among the best raw bars and seafood entrees in New York. Wine list offers very good choices under $60.00. The deserts, fantastic, all of them. The wait staff get's it done just right everytime. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Food was great and well price.AnitaVIPDined on 5/12/2009Food was great and well price. Didn't enjoy the sushi, but everything else was delicious. Service was good and professional. Everyone was very gracious.Special Features:
- The seafood was excellentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2009The seafood was excellently prepared and nothing left on the plate. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- It was very crowded and chilly,SWABBYDined on 5/10/2009It was very crowded and chilly, however, the mgr. made up for the shortcomings. Would definitely return on a not so busy day.Special Features:
- This is our Favorite RestaurantCindyVIPDined on 5/10/2009This is our Favorite Restaurant in NYC.Love the decor nice & relaxing Fantastic wines The food is always cooked to perfection I love their Tuna And their home made dessert's The service just doesn't get any better from the host Ricardo to our favorite waiter John They truly make you feel at homeSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent, butOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/9/2009The food was excellent, but the waitress was absolutely horrible. I would expect more for this type of establishment. When we told the manager, he told the waitress while we were still there which made it even more uncomfortable as she came to the table and said something. Manager should have bought us dessert b/c of this, especially when he knew it was our anniversary.Special Features:
- we sat outside. I had beenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2009we sat outside. I had been inside previously and enjoyed a lot more.Special Features: