Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: (212) 579-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or email@example.com for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (131)fit for foodies (90)special occasion (72)great for brunch (57)great for outdoor dining (50)great for lunch (44)good for groups (39)romantic (33)notable wine list (26)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (10)scenic view (7)Show More
- peacockDined on 9/11/2014Excellent food and service. Waitor was cordial and helpful.Special Features:
- Better company next timeGreeneyeddevilVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was great! The pea ravioli is not something I'd usually order, but it was the BEST! Next time I'm back, I'll have a better date.Special Features:
- very good, as usualdisappointedVIPDined on 9/9/2014This restaurant is always reliable. Offers warm reception, good food and pleasant, well informed service. Will continue to visit and recommend.
- SJR1VIPDined on 9/9/2014A good choice that never disappoints if you are looking for excellent seafood in a nice but non-pretentious atmosphere. Our server Jessica was attentive and helpful without being intrusive or making us feel rushed. It is quiet enough where you can have a conversation without screaming and the tables are spaced far enough apart where you can't hear other diners and they can't hear you. The Cod is always good and I tried the Branzino this time which was also excellent. I like how the dishes are never overdone with unnecessary add-ons and just the right amount of seasonings. A testament to knowing how to cook properly and not having to cover up mediocre preparation with other garnishments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent serviceVancouverDined on 9/7/2014Perhaps arriving about 1/2 hour before closing caught the server at the end of a long day. The table outside was nice, beautiful early Sept eve, food was very good, server was indifferent at best, bordering on rude. The bill was only $130, so perhaps we was miffed for two people not spending more on a quick late eve biteSpecial Features:
- not what it used to bezfoodVIPDined on 9/7/2014Ocean Grill used to be our favorite uws restaurant, but not anymore. They no longer have the chopped salad and their simply grilled no longer comes with a vegetable side, effectively a 20-25% price increase. Very disappointing.
- always great seafoodLoveSohoVIPDined on 9/6/2014We love coming here because there are great sidewalk tables and the seafood is always superb. New menu dropped the sesame crusted tuna, which I miss, but wonderful food. Service was a little rushed, which was surprising on a quiet evening, but we always leave happy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014We've been to Ocean Grill numerous times and have always felt that it was a special dinning experience.Special Features:
- muffins?anonVIPDined on 9/3/2014okay but we miss the muffins mo amuse bouche eitherSpecial Features:
- Early dinnerJackieDined on 9/3/2014My friend and I celebrated her birthday at this elegant spot on Columbus Avenue. The special corn cake appetizer was surprisingly spicy and quite tasty, as were the always reliable spring rolls. The simply prepared Chatam Cod was the best ever, light and buttery simultaneously. Side dish of green beans, recommended by our attentive waitress, was amazing- garlic and black pepper added to the experience.Special Features:
- The Perfect AnniversaryArtsypupVIPDined on 9/2/2014From the minute we arrived the staff made us feel really special on our 14th Wedding anniversary. They served us champagne and made this special day fabulous. The food was perfect- we started with the oysters which was heavenly. The sushi and arctic char were excellent choices as the seafood is exceptionally fresh and served on time. The staff is very knowledgeable about the food and the wines served. I was so grateful we picked the Ocean Grill as we do for many of our romantic occasions.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceNicknameDined on 8/31/2014The waiter forgot so many things that we had asked for. And he hardly ever came by the table to see if we nreded anything which we did. But this won't stop us from coming back. This is not the norm at Ocean Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- placetodineDined on 8/28/2014Ocean Grill is a first class restaurant with the best food and service. Been going there several times and the employees give the best service and always make you feel welcome.Special Features:
- Great dinnerfelderinoDined on 8/26/2014We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and dined at Ocean Grill with our daughter. The service was great, fresh oysters delicious, entrees excellent. Great go-to place on the UWS for seafood fans wanting to celebrate something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been fans since 1998 butCarolVIPDined on 8/25/2014The new menu is much smaller. The wine list is shorter. It looks like an accountant is now in charge. The people are still very nice though. The food is not bad, just very limited. We are hoping they will change back.
- Wonderful dinner!JobeanDined on 8/23/2014Food was fresh and delicious and the servers were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Great ServiceJanDVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a lovely birthday celebration this was very much appreciated as we wanted to be able to enjoy the food and have a conversation. Our waiter, Julian, was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold Pan-Seared Salmon, Anyone?MICKEYMICHAELSDined on 8/20/2014Second visit this season after an earlier disastrous lunch experience; two-for-lunch; no improvement. Outside table service very slow; our entrees--pan seared salmon--arrived cold!!!! I had even cautioned the (one) waiter that we wanted the entrees served piping hot, right off the grill. STILL, both our entrees came less than lukewarm, indeed cold. Waiter darted off, MIA. I had to summon the mgr. We waited for freshly made entrees. 2nd try: OK. The dessert did not come as I had ordered mine; the gelato and sorbet combo was tasteless and tiny. The chocolate tart disappointing, with a teensy ice cream scoop. Has this place lost its chef? Under new management??! What? Once always crowded, it was easy to grab an o/s table on a nice summer day.Special Features:
- Wonderful birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2014The staff was very accomodating and remembered our special occation. We don't live in town but this is our third year in a row with Ocean Grill as our destination for a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bland dinnerNancyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Dinner at Ocean Grill was pretty predictable. The menu was fairly uninspired and then my husband asked to have his salmon cooked all the way through but that didn't happen so I actually finished my meal way before he even got started. Kind of disappointing. The wait staff did not seem to be on the ball.
- excellentsaraAKDined on 8/16/2014The waiters were nice and hospitable and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- MehSeafoodLvr88Dined on 8/15/2014Made a res here for the last night of restaurant week. They sat a group of 5 at a tiny round table with barely enough room for our plates. We had to ask for bread after being seated for over 30 minutes; the basket they brought had 4 pieces (for 5), so had to request more. Two of us ordered from the rest week menu. I had the gazpacho app & salmon entree; my friend had the tuna roll app & pea ravioli entree & we both got the chocolate tart dessert. Dessert was good, but the rest of our meals were disappointing. The rest of the group ordered from the regular menu & were also disappointed;portions were small for the $ and nothing was great. Service was unattentive; had to ask for wine refills twice.Nice location, but wouldn't eat here again.
- Great DinnerRalphlili4182Dined on 8/12/2014It was a windy rainy night when my fiancee and I arrived to this restaurant. Its Restaurant Week, we were seated by a host and was served our food. Great Restaurant and service. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchVitodnyDined on 8/10/2014Waited for cream and sugar for tea for 5 minutes. They served 3 of 4 entrees together, we waited over 5 minutes before the 4th entree was served.
- Lovely brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014I have been to Ocean Grill many times and this time came for brunch with aunt/cousins....4 women including me. I appreciated that we could talk without screaming to be heard, and I really appreciated that we stayed for a long time without the waiter presenting us with the check or trying to move us along in any way. The brunch rush had died down, so we weren't taking a spot from anyone waiting, but that doesn't stop some places from scooting you out the door. We were left alone with no pressure and it was perfect for our mini reunion. Thanks. Food for brunch was fine, not outstanding, but good. I think I've enjoyed the food at dinner even more. Nice, comfortable decor. A step above most of the neighborhood brunches. All enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sammyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great brunch in a great setting in location convenient to terrific sightsSpecial Features:
- Fun night outJessluvs2eatDined on 8/8/2014Brought my sisters here before they head off to college in the fall. The food is delicious! We cleaned off all our plates and had dessert as well. The waitress was very nice and patient especially with my very indecisive little sister. It was a beautiful night and we were able to enjoy sitting outside. My cocktail was a little weak but it was very refreshing nonetheless. I will definitely be coming back with some friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaciVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had an absolutely wonderful time. The staff was fabulous and very attentive to my guests who are disabled. They are often maginalized and made to feel unwelcome. The staff went out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. Thank you very much.Special Features:
- Digging for Scottish SalmonHot2eatDined on 8/8/2014Had the Restaurant Week Scottish Salmon entrée, atop German Potato salad -- and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and flavors of the dish. The dessert -- a yogurt cake, was splendidly presented as well. Outdoor seating in pleasant sunny weather was a bonus to our experience. Recommended. Just make sure you give the waitperson the correct credit card so as to avoid any embarrassment unless you like washing dishes.Special Features:
- Superior all around!joniarcher999Dined on 8/6/2014Welcoming, beautiful restaurant. Exceptional quality food and selection. Skilled wait staff. What else can I say? It's my favorite place for any special occasion, or to make an every day special.Special Features:
- A good place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/6/2014Good food. Nice atmosphere. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingdeejDined on 8/6/2014The restaurant was practically empty. No noise problem here, but for the wrong reasons. The food was average at best, the dessert disappointing. All in all a ho-hum experience--except for the service. Our waitress had a real attitude and not a good one.
- Service,Selection, and SavoryBertVIPDined on 8/5/2014It's not the first time that I had the privilege of eating at this wonderful seafood establishment. The waitstaff are extremely accommodating and attentive. The meal is served in a timely manner-not rushed and not too slow. I could order either from the special pre-fixed menu or the ala carte menu that features a sushi selection, specially prepared seafood dishes or just plain grilled fresh fish. If you like fish, like attention to detail, and like good service, then Ocean Grill is just perfect for an evening out.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningToomadDined on 8/2/2014Great evening at Ocean Grill. Simply prepared, very fresh seafood. Good vine selection.
- Such a great experience!LoLoDined on 8/1/2014From the food to the wine, and the service, our girls' night out experience was amazing. We were all first-time diners and came for the Restaurant Week menu, but we would all gladly return anytime of the year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeggeDined on 7/31/2014Food was good and service was great ... But the tables were too close together and the noise level too high to want to return.Special Features:
- Excellent sushiswivyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Fresh fish, the sushi is wonderful. Attentive and friendly service. Pleasantly quiet at lunchtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week FavMarisaBDined on 7/29/2014I did a restaurant week pick to Ocean Grill and it was the best decision. The seafood options were on point along with the wine selection. I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very pleasant dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/28/2014The fish was really excellent. Other things, like bread, salad, beverages were all good. The service was prompt without getting in the way. Another good thing is the space between tables is sufficient to allow a semi-private conversation.Special Features:
- Skate was spoiledGreg98Dined on 7/28/2014Raw tower was excellent, gf's skate a special for restaurant week was not edible, it tasted of ammonia which is a sure sign of old fish. Up side is they did not charge us for her "meal"Special Features: