Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: (212) 579-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email email@example.com.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (131)fit for foodies (88)special occasion (72)great for brunch (57)great for lunch (44)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (42)romantic (32)notable wine list (24)kid-friendly (20)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)late-night find (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- babyVIPDined on 11/23/2014Have eaten here many times but the last 2 times were very disappointing. They were very unhelpful as far as dealing with my food allergies, was told there were no substitutions I couldn't order the seared tuna because they were unwilling to make any change in the side dishes and could only order the grilled tuna and have stringbeans. Why they couldn't have done that with the seared tuna is beyond me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaddogVIPDined on 11/22/2014Ate in the bar because it had a more happening feel to it. Sushi is very bland but the Brussel sprouts and Kale Caesar were yummy. Our waitress was very attentive and immediately replaced and comped our overcooked edemame (which was overcooked the 2nd time too) Nice neighborhood fish place and good outdoor dining in the warm weatherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeHudeemerDined on 11/21/2014One of my favorite restaurant love the food, ambiance and the service is impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrookBrookVIPDined on 11/19/2014We have been regulars at Ocean Grill for years....it was always alive, vibrant and the wait staff always very informed and enthused about the menu. Ocean Grill was one of the places that early on offered wine by the glass....along with Union Square Cafe. But this last time something was lacking....it was not vibrant...the seafood, especially the shellfish chateau's are great.....I would recommend Ocean Grill if one were in the neighborhood. For us, in the summer, it is a short drive from Westchester for a nice outdoor or indoor early meal. So with some reservations, I would recommend the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but noisy.EmmyfaDined on 11/16/2014The food was delicious. Our reservation was for 1pm and we were seated at 1 pm even though the place was packed. I would say it was perfect except that I am sensitive to noise and it was noisy but since it was filled to the brim that is to be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWPCyclistDined on 11/16/2014Excellent food and service. Very good ambiance. Highly recommend, especially for Sunday brunch since the restaurant takes reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean grill always deliverBaatmannDined on 11/14/2014Enjoyed Ocean Grill for the second time. Just as good as the first time. Perfect for seafood. Oysters are really good. Really good ambiance. Quieter earlier in the evening but late night noise no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great oysters and sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2014a good neighborhoood restaurant. The oysters are fantastic and the sushi is very good too. Unfortunately the lobster mac and cheese is no longer on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great time was had by all.StretchDined on 11/8/2014We had perfectly grilled fish, delicious drinks and wine, and outstanding service. It was pretty noisy, as usual. The sushi was the only disappointment--it was not to the high standards we've come to expect over the years from Ocean Grill.Special Features:
- So good, we came back 2 days later.gardenerDined on 11/8/2014OCEAN GRILL had been recommended by friends, mostly for its convenient proximity to the American Museum of Natural History. Don't let dinosaurs be your only excuse for a visit to this smart and friendly eatery. The raw bar is superb. The "plainly prepared" fish of the day makes ordering anything else an unfair advantage to the "anything else." But give the whole menu consideration. Charming, efficient staff; friendly fellow diners. Wanted to bring the whole place home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oysterssammyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food, service and general atmosphere - all terrificSpecial Features:
- Never disappoints!FrostilasDined on 11/7/2014Ocean Grill is one of our favorite places to go for a special dinner in New York. The food is always creatively developed and presented and the specials are always truly unique. The chef puts together gorgeous flavor combinations that blend together beautifully to make even the fussiest of us cheer! The staff from the front desk to the wait staff are always pleasant and go out of their way to make everything perfect. So many restaurants in New York try to make you feel that you are lucky they let you dine there- not Ocean Grill- its the perfect combination of great food and warm welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing againThincerVIPDined on 11/7/2014Waiter had a bored and irritated demeanor food was overpriced, over salted and left me with indigestion. Sushi is a pathetic comparison to several nearby places last time I will be going here.
- Delicious and great environStrawsieDined on 11/2/2014We met old friends and were seated in a corner booth where it was easy to talk and enjoy the delicious meal. The Chilean Sea Bass, Halibut and Salmon were all enjoyed. The spring rolls were a great app. Lava cake was perfectly ooey. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Everything one needsbambi2Dined on 11/1/2014Special evening made even more so from the pleasant good evening at the door right up to our leaving. Scott our waiter was very knowledgeable and very pleasent from our drinks,starters,meal selection and desert. The food was excellent and thank you again for making our 51st. anniversary a pleasent one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanVIPDined on 10/30/2014Too loud and hectic. Couldn't even hear my companion speak.
- What happened to the serviceDodieDined on 10/29/2014I have been going to Ocean Grill for years. For some reason the service was awful this one time. Seemed like they were either short staffed or dropped the ball on our table. I will go back since this was not typicalSpecial Features:
- A reliable spot.LicsVIPDined on 10/29/2014A good stand-by in a neighborhood lacking in great spots. It's a big place so finding a table is easy but it still remains charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Seafood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Great food, great service. Too noisy for my taste but not unusual these days. One note: they don't seat you unless your entire party is present.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Delicious cocktails And food, branzino was extra special and the fries.Best oysters ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/21/2014We did have a great dinner and the food was fresh and delicious. Only downside was we were so rushed by the service with eating our food. Also, I think our server was very new. She was friendly but not very attentive. The general experience was very nice and the host was extremely helpful in getting a cab as it was pouring rain.Special Features:
- Exceptional in every wayNYCAngelsVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food was as good as any I have had at any restaurant, especially when it came to the perfection with which the salmon and sea bass were prepared and presented. It made a special celebration even better. The service was great. We noted several food allergies and the entire staff was on watch it seemed for us, every item was reviewed with the kitchen to be sure (catching things like the fact that truffle fries get cooked in a frier that also has shellfish in it sometimes, etc.). The plates had notes on the allergy care even as they came out. The attention to detail was so refreshing. The atmosphere is great, very elegant, with a good noise level, and yet really good (but quiet background) dance music if you listen closely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, gracious and plenty!FAITHVIPDined on 10/19/2014We selected Ocean Grill for its fantastic brunch. We were not disappointed! The crab cakes Benedict, which were served on a bed of spinach and side of fresh greens, were exceptionally delicious! I have eaten there for dinner and always enjoy the arrary of fresh seafood - the towers are truly good! We suffered a delay in the delivery of our meal, which the restaurant generously apologized for by "treating" us to our meal! The place was brimming with guests of all ages and had yet a air of comfort and simply chic. A well priced menu for a fine place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan!tasticeat4loveDined on 10/13/2014It was a short menu, but everything we ordered was excellent. Highly recommended the chicken and the grilled market fish, this time was a branzino. Autumn sundae was the most delicious dessert. The service was great. It was a very nice experience. Not too loud, it was Monday, holiday, for lunch. Not many people, so not noisy at all. The place is nicely decorated with framed photos.Special Features:
- Fabulous brunchJMcWVIPDined on 10/12/2014The brunch was priced well and delicious. Many perfect egg dishes. The crab eggs benedict was wonderful! There is a very good selection of sushi as well.Special Features:
- Concert nightSaturdayVIPDined on 10/8/2014My husband and I ate here before a concert at the Beacon. The food was terrific. He had swordfish and I had the sea bass special. So perfectly prepared and Mark our waiter was attentive, friendly and efficient. Great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaneyVIPDined on 10/5/2014We went for lunch at 1:00 on Saturday. Two of us ordered the seafood salad for $20.00; it was mainly lettuce with little of substance to eat. When we requested more small rolls, there were none left. Very disappointing.
- Great seafoodNYClunchDined on 10/4/2014I had the soup, a squash purée, and a sushi roll. It is nice to be able to find a delicious lunch that has a small amount of food, so you don't feel stuffed. If you want more you can tack on another sushi order. My friend had the Cobb salad and that looked great too.Special Features:
- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDined on 10/3/2014xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- Attentive servicehopper1008Dined on 10/2/2014Classy restaurant in the nicest area of the Upper West, right across the Museum of Natural History. Great seafood options for any occasions.Special Features:
- Terrific lunch!serabvDined on 10/2/2014Four of us celebrated a friend's birthday. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A seafood delight!apteditorDined on 10/1/2014There were 3 of us & everything we ordered was perfection. I have food sensitivities & they were able to accommodate by making a couple of special tweaks for me. The pre fix lunch special includes 3 courses for around $25 which was a very reasonable price. The day we were served started with a heirloom tomato soup, a grilled shrimp entree & ended with a white chocolate cheese cake. The service was very attentive while not being intrusive. A very special lunch experience for my family visiting from out of town. Will definitely need to have dinner there in the near future.Special Features:
- disappointing experiencesaraVIPDined on 9/30/2014Ocean Grill has gone downhill. From the bread which used to be great to the mains, the food was barely passable. Since the prices rival those of numerous good restaurants in the neighborhood, I won't be back.
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed an early dinner here before a show at the Beacon. Our evening started with cocktails, followed by ultra fresh oysters, apps then sea bass and bronzini. Everything was very good and we'd dine here often if we lived nearby. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Love Ocean GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/24/2014I have eaten here for years and it is always one of my favorite restaurants on the UWS. The menu has gotten a lot smaller but the food is delicious and the service is always on point. I just love to dine at Ocean Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualPapapatVIPDined on 9/20/2014Another great meal. We both had the Chilean Sea Bass which was superb. Great service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceToomadDined on 9/20/2014Took my parents and my young kids for dinner. Loved it, and they were surprisingly nice to the kids even though it's a serious dinner place.
- pre theaterShyDiVIPDined on 9/18/2014we went before a councert at the Beacon Theater. Food was great. I had clams on the half shell chileed and fresh. My friend had a salad with tomato and blue cheese and he loved it. then I had the Chilean Sea bass which was delicious and he had Salmon with smokey bacon. Dessert and coffee made it just perfect Might just make it a destination next time. It was that good!Special Features:
- Solid Seafood, Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/15/2014My family and I just ate here and had a wonderful experience. If you enjoy seafood and excellent service then this is a great place for you. Our table of 6 shared a seafood tower consisting of lobster, oysters, clams, king crab, mussels and shrimp and it was excellent. Very fresh and high quality and a generous portion for $128 (when compared to other towers in the city, definitely better value here). Entrees were well prepared as well - more fish and steak dishes. The desserts (especially cheesecake and coffee ice cream sundae) were delicious as well. Our waitress in the main dining room was excellent and she handled my quirky, somewhat garrulous family really well. Highly recommended We will definitely be back in the future.Special Features:
- Fantastic SushiSnackTimeDined on 9/14/2014Delicious sushi options.highly recommend the sushi sampler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.