Ocean Grill New York
384 Columbus Avenue at 78th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ocean Grill New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oceangrill.com/
- Phone: 2125792300x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Full service off-site catering can be accommodate. Contact Special Events at 212-331-0328 or email@example.com for information.
- Special Events: Docked across the street from the Museum of Natural History, and steps from Central Park, Ocean Grill is the perfect venue for birthday celebrations, showers, graduations, wedding receptions and other special occasions.
To inquire large groups, semi-private dining or restaurant buyouts please contact our special events team at 212-331-0328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or request event information online here: http://www.brguesthospitality.com/event-venues/book-event.
A word from Ocean Grill New York
Located directly across from the Museum of Natural History, Ocean Grill has been a staple for Upper West Side seafood lovers for years. Sample daily selections from the Raw and Sushi bars, paired with a featured wine and other fresh seafood. Feeling creative? Ocean Grill allows you to create your own meal with our daily list of Simply Grilled Fish served with your choice of sauce and seasonal side dish. Relax in the candle-lit lounge or refined dining area that resembles a luxury liner, complete with oversized mirrors and round porthole windows looking into the kitchen. The adjacent photo room is lined with retro black and white seaside snapshots and is a perfect spot for romance or celebration and as always kids are welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill New York reviews from OpenTable diners
246 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (128)fit for foodies (84)special occasion (72)great for outdoor dining (65)great for brunch (54)great for lunch (48)good for groups (43)romantic (32)notable wine list (27)kid-friendly (23)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (12)scenic view (10)Show More
- Exceptional in every wayNYCAngelsVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food was as good as any I have had at any restaurant, especially when it came to the perfection with which the salmon and sea bass were prepared and presented. It made a special celebration even better. The service was great. We noted several food allergies and the entire staff was on watch it seemed for us, every item was reviewed with the kitchen to be sure (catching things like the fact that truffle fries get cooked in a frier that also has shellfish in it sometimes, etc.). The plates had notes on the allergy care even as they came out. The attention to detail was so refreshing. The atmosphere is great, very elegant, with a good noise level, and yet really good (but quiet background) dance music if you listen closely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, gracious and plenty!FAITHDined on 10/19/2014We selected Ocean Grill for its fantastic brunch. We were not disappointed! The crab cakes Benedict, which were served on a bed of spinach and side of fresh greens, were exceptionally delicious! I have eaten there for dinner and always enjoy the arrary of fresh seafood - the towers are truly good! We suffered a delay in the delivery of our meal, which the restaurant generously apologized for by "treating" us to our meal! The place was brimming with guests of all ages and had yet a air of comfort and simply chic. A well priced menu for a fine place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan!tasticeat4loveDined on 10/13/2014It was a short menu, but everything we ordered was excellent. Highly recommended the chicken and the grilled market fish, this time was a branzino. Autumn sundae was the most delicious dessert. The service was great. It was a very nice experience. Not too loud, it was Monday, holiday, for lunch. Not many people, so not noisy at all. The place is nicely decorated with framed photos.Special Features:
- Fabulous brunchJMcWVIPDined on 10/12/2014The brunch was priced well and delicious. Many perfect egg dishes. The crab eggs benedict was wonderful! There is a very good selection of sushi as well.Special Features:
- Concert nightSaturdayVIPDined on 10/8/2014My husband and I ate here before a concert at the Beacon. The food was terrific. He had swordfish and I had the sea bass special. So perfectly prepared and Mark our waiter was attentive, friendly and efficient. Great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaneyVIPDined on 10/5/2014We went for lunch at 1:00 on Saturday. Two of us ordered the seafood salad for $20.00; it was mainly lettuce with little of substance to eat. When we requested more small rolls, there were none left. Very disappointing.
- Great seafoodNYClunchDined on 10/4/2014I had the soup, a squash purée, and a sushi roll. It is nice to be able to find a delicious lunch that has a small amount of food, so you don't feel stuffed. If you want more you can tack on another sushi order. My friend had the Cobb salad and that looked great too.Special Features:
- xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDined on 10/3/2014xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- Attentive servicehopper1008Dined on 10/2/2014Classy restaurant in the nicest area of the Upper West, right across the Museum of Natural History. Great seafood options for any occasions.Special Features:
- Terrific lunch!serabvDined on 10/2/2014Four of us celebrated a friend's birthday. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A seafood delight!apteditorDined on 10/1/2014There were 3 of us & everything we ordered was perfection. I have food sensitivities & they were able to accommodate by making a couple of special tweaks for me. The pre fix lunch special includes 3 courses for around $25 which was a very reasonable price. The day we were served started with a heirloom tomato soup, a grilled shrimp entree & ended with a white chocolate cheese cake. The service was very attentive while not being intrusive. A very special lunch experience for my family visiting from out of town. Will definitely need to have dinner there in the near future.Special Features:
- disappointing experiencesaraVIPDined on 9/30/2014Ocean Grill has gone downhill. From the bread which used to be great to the mains, the food was barely passable. Since the prices rival those of numerous good restaurants in the neighborhood, I won't be back.
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed an early dinner here before a show at the Beacon. Our evening started with cocktails, followed by ultra fresh oysters, apps then sea bass and bronzini. Everything was very good and we'd dine here often if we lived nearby. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Love Ocean GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/24/2014I have eaten here for years and it is always one of my favorite restaurants on the UWS. The menu has gotten a lot smaller but the food is delicious and the service is always on point. I just love to dine at Ocean Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualPapapatVIPDined on 9/20/2014Another great meal. We both had the Chilean Sea Bass which was superb. Great service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceToomadDined on 9/20/2014Took my parents and my young kids for dinner. Loved it, and they were surprisingly nice to the kids even though it's a serious dinner place.
- pre theaterShyDiVIPDined on 9/18/2014we went before a councert at the Beacon Theater. Food was great. I had clams on the half shell chileed and fresh. My friend had a salad with tomato and blue cheese and he loved it. then I had the Chilean Sea bass which was delicious and he had Salmon with smokey bacon. Dessert and coffee made it just perfect Might just make it a destination next time. It was that good!Special Features:
- Solid Seafood, Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/15/2014My family and I just ate here and had a wonderful experience. If you enjoy seafood and excellent service then this is a great place for you. Our table of 6 shared a seafood tower consisting of lobster, oysters, clams, king crab, mussels and shrimp and it was excellent. Very fresh and high quality and a generous portion for $128 (when compared to other towers in the city, definitely better value here). Entrees were well prepared as well - more fish and steak dishes. The desserts (especially cheesecake and coffee ice cream sundae) were delicious as well. Our waitress in the main dining room was excellent and she handled my quirky, somewhat garrulous family really well. Highly recommended We will definitely be back in the future.Special Features:
- Fantastic SushiSnackTimeDined on 9/14/2014Delicious sushi options.highly recommend the sushi sampler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny Hot Spottablesedge9Dined on 9/14/2014Great outdoor seating for brunch. Stairs a problem for our elderly Mom, but they sat us outside which was perfect. Across from Natural History Museum and Farmers Market on a sunny Sunday. Lobster cocktail fabulous. Everything else, eggs benedict and lobster shrimp roll were good. Service a little slow.Special Features:
- Ocean GrillPsychDined on 9/13/2014Just a great place in a great location!! Always glad that we go.Special Features:
- JimboVIPDined on 9/13/2014Seafood is excellent. Fish was very fresh and the prices were reasonable for Manhattan. Lively casual place. No fancy creamy sauces -- just terrific fresh seafood cooked however you like it. Service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceEvelynDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed Ocean Grill very much and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDavidCDined on 9/12/2014I've eaten at Ocean Grill often. I've always liked it. This time, however, the food was disappointing. I ordered the swordfish, which for $28.00. was skimpy. It looked like they had run out and split one piece for 2. I had also informed, both in writing and in person, that it was my friends birthday. The Maitre D asked me upon arrival, whose birthday it was. I informed him and after that, nothing was done. The entire experience was simply fair.
- peacockDined on 9/11/2014Excellent food and service. Waitor was cordial and helpful.Special Features:
- Better company next timeGreeneyeddevilVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was great! The pea ravioli is not something I'd usually order, but it was the BEST! Next time I'm back, I'll have a better date.Special Features:
- very good, as usualdisappointedVIPDined on 9/9/2014This restaurant is always reliable. Offers warm reception, good food and pleasant, well informed service. Will continue to visit and recommend.
- SJR1VIPDined on 9/9/2014A good choice that never disappoints if you are looking for excellent seafood in a nice but non-pretentious atmosphere. Our server Jessica was attentive and helpful without being intrusive or making us feel rushed. It is quiet enough where you can have a conversation without screaming and the tables are spaced far enough apart where you can't hear other diners and they can't hear you. The Cod is always good and I tried the Branzino this time which was also excellent. I like how the dishes are never overdone with unnecessary add-ons and just the right amount of seasonings. A testament to knowing how to cook properly and not having to cover up mediocre preparation with other garnishments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent serviceVancouverDined on 9/7/2014Perhaps arriving about 1/2 hour before closing caught the server at the end of a long day. The table outside was nice, beautiful early Sept eve, food was very good, server was indifferent at best, bordering on rude. The bill was only $130, so perhaps we was miffed for two people not spending more on a quick late eve biteSpecial Features:
- not what it used to bezfoodVIPDined on 9/7/2014Ocean Grill used to be our favorite uws restaurant, but not anymore. They no longer have the chopped salad and their simply grilled no longer comes with a vegetable side, effectively a 20-25% price increase. Very disappointing.
- always great seafoodLoveSohoVIPDined on 9/6/2014We love coming here because there are great sidewalk tables and the seafood is always superb. New menu dropped the sesame crusted tuna, which I miss, but wonderful food. Service was a little rushed, which was surprising on a quiet evening, but we always leave happy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014We've been to Ocean Grill numerous times and have always felt that it was a special dinning experience.Special Features:
- muffins?anonVIPDined on 9/3/2014okay but we miss the muffins mo amuse bouche eitherSpecial Features:
- Early dinnerJackieDined on 9/3/2014My friend and I celebrated her birthday at this elegant spot on Columbus Avenue. The special corn cake appetizer was surprisingly spicy and quite tasty, as were the always reliable spring rolls. The simply prepared Chatam Cod was the best ever, light and buttery simultaneously. Side dish of green beans, recommended by our attentive waitress, was amazing- garlic and black pepper added to the experience.Special Features:
- The Perfect AnniversaryArtsypupDined on 9/2/2014From the minute we arrived the staff made us feel really special on our 14th Wedding anniversary. They served us champagne and made this special day fabulous. The food was perfect- we started with the oysters which was heavenly. The sushi and arctic char were excellent choices as the seafood is exceptionally fresh and served on time. The staff is very knowledgeable about the food and the wines served. I was so grateful we picked the Ocean Grill as we do for many of our romantic occasions.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceNicknameDined on 8/31/2014The waiter forgot so many things that we had asked for. And he hardly ever came by the table to see if we nreded anything which we did. But this won't stop us from coming back. This is not the norm at Ocean Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- placetodineDined on 8/28/2014Ocean Grill is a first class restaurant with the best food and service. Been going there several times and the employees give the best service and always make you feel welcome.Special Features:
- Great dinnerfelderinoDined on 8/26/2014We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and dined at Ocean Grill with our daughter. The service was great, fresh oysters delicious, entrees excellent. Great go-to place on the UWS for seafood fans wanting to celebrate something special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been fans since 1998 butCarolVIPDined on 8/25/2014The new menu is much smaller. The wine list is shorter. It looks like an accountant is now in charge. The people are still very nice though. The food is not bad, just very limited. We are hoping they will change back.
- Wonderful dinner!JobeanDined on 8/23/2014Food was fresh and delicious and the servers were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.