Ocean Grill - Madison
117 Martin Luther
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Ocean Grill - Madison
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oceangrillmadison.com/
- Phone: 6082852582
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Executive Chef: Arturo Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Both on and off-site catering available. Call 608.285.2582 for details.
- Private Party Contact: Caitlin Suemnicht 6082570158x248
- Special Events: Please contact Thomas Ray, General Manager, 608.285.2582
A word from Ocean Grill - Madison
The festive, inviting atmosphere of Ocean Grill combines the best of urban chic & casual comfort. Locally sourced and purchased market fresh items used in weekly and daily Chef's specials, as well as happy hour specials and meal discounts make the Ocean Grill a fantastic place to have a drink and some appetizers with some friends or a great spot to come for that special dinner. Take advantage of the beautiful weather of spring, summer & fall, & ask to be seated on our patio, which boasts views of the Capitol & the Monona Terrace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ocean Grill - Madison reviews from OpenTable diners
- Quiet, refined, casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2012This is a place where you can have excellent food and actually have a conversation without shouting. Our waitperson was helpful, knew when to appear and disappear, knew how to advise about menu items, and was in one succinct word: perfect. Another plus is the free parking option. It requires walking around a corner, but it's in an enclosed area.Special Features:
- It was wonderful. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2012It was wonderful. The food was delicious, & presentation exceptional. Service was excellent. It was awesome to see 4 police horses go strolling by. I will be bringing my boss & her husband there in June.Special Features:
- Excellent food. I like fish/seafoodVoyagerDined on 4/26/2012Excellent food. I like fish/seafood and especially like restaurants where it is obvious that the menu is limited, but chosen and prepared with care (no previously prepared and microwaved food!). The service was attentive but leisurely and nothing arrived before we were ready for it.Special Features:
- We chose this restaurant becauseRicheyVIPDined on 4/21/2012We chose this restaurant because of the ratings on OpenTable. The location and parking are convenient and the decor is updated and friendly. The tables are very close together and have opposite sides facing each other, so it was a little annoying to have people staring at you while you eat and talk from both sides. We chose to go the small plates route, in lieu of a main course. The portions on small plates are very generous (some of them are enough for two people to share as a meal!) We selected the Crab Cakes, Cod and Seafood Enchilada. The crab cakes and cod were fantastic. I think the Cod was probably in the top three for best I ever had. The Seafood enchilada was horrible. It had hardly any seafood and was overly creme-filled.Special Features:
- I loved everything exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/14/2012I loved everything except for my meal. I found the steamed crab legs to be a little cold and wished that it would have been warmer but my husband liked it that way. My server was very friendly and I always love the service when I go in.Special Features:
- first time. excellent cocktails.rjrenoDined on 4/13/2012first time. excellent cocktails. best Hendricks martini I've had. oysters were fresh and delicious. soup and salad were bursting with flavor. We had a delightful experience.Special Features:
- I brought out of town guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2012I brought out of town guests and they loved the menu's variety. I had the pan-seared walleye and found it dry and thought it was over-cooked. The others in my party had great meals: the trout, soup and salads were selected. The pinot grigio was wonderful. MichaelSpecial Features:
- Just a night out with friends,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2012Just a night out with friends, or a special occasion, the cozy atmosphere and "not a run of the mill" menu is perfect for both. The food, drinks and service were all great. Be sure to save room for dessert! We will definitly be returning.Special Features:
- We were visitors to MadisonJessicaVIPDined on 3/10/2012We were visitors to Madison and came here for dinner before a show at the Overture Center. The fish was fresh and well prepared. We had the tuna tartar as an appetizer, my main was prisciutto-wrapped tuna and my husband's was the perch. I was delighted that they had a gluten-free menu.Special Features:
- The service and the foodsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/9/2012The service and the foods are great! But portion of food is too small.. We had 6 people and we almost ordered everything on the menu and it was expensive!
- One of our FAVORITE restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2012We have dined at Ocean Grill before and we keep on coming back, because the food and the service is amazing as always! My friend and I shared a bunch of small plates for dinner this time. And, they happily accommodated my friend's allergies. We started with the seafood chowder, which is my favorite, and the asian slaw, which was very flavorful. Then we had the seafood enchiladas (rich, creamy and filling, a must have!), carrot shrimp skewers (unique and delicious sauce), beer battered cod (best fish fry in town) and crab cake (plenty of crab and less filler). Everything was outstanding!Special Features:
- Great first experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2012This was our first time to Ocean Grill and we loved it! We would definitely recommend it. The drinks, food and service were superb! We started with fresh shucked oysters, which were excellent. They had 4 different types of oysters to choose from and mix and match! For dinner, I had the pan seared trout and my husband had the tiger prawns. Both were absolutely delicious. The waitress was knowledgeable, attentive and friendly. We will be back!Special Features:
- We loved Ocean Grill!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2012We loved Ocean Grill! We had dinner there on a Monday night and had nothing but great things to say. We arrived a little early and had drinks at the bar, which I recommend (Great Happy Hour!). The bartender and host were also very conversational. We then sat for dinner and each had the house salad for a first course. We both really enjoyed the blueberry vinaigrette and the chevre cheese was amazing. For entrees I had the seared day boat scallops and my guest ate the grilled prawns, both were cooked perfectly. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- I came to Ocean Grill on MondayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2012I came to Ocean Grill on Monday February, 27th with my girlfriend for my birthday. It was my first time dinning there and I was extremely pleased. Our server was attentive, knowledgeable and non-intrusive. She recommended the carrot shrimp skewers to start and I couldn't get over how good it was and the pesto sauce was amazing!!!! For entrees I had the Prosciutto Wrapped Tuna and my girlfriend had the seared Scallops. Both dishes were out of this world!!! I would most definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and family.Special Features:
- Used to be good-- pretty bad nowMMM3Dined on 2/25/2012This restaurant used to be good a few years ago-- it is pretty bad now. The tuna tartare was completely flavorless and was either old and/or inappropriately stored as half of it had turned a mushy grey. The walleye was droopy and bland-- and the "mushroom ragout" was a huge unseasoned pile of cold, slimy mushrooms that just tasted musty. The scallops weren't as bad as the walleye, but they did not seem fresh and were very overcooked. Overall, it seemed like no one cared how the food tasted or looked, as the preparations ranged from weak to bad, and the presentation looked like a cafeteria worker just slapped it on a plate and sent it out. I will not recommend or return to Ocean Grill.
- Our last visit to Ocean Grill!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012What has happened to this restaurant? We were not greeted by any host/hostess upon arrival. We had to search out a person to seat us. The menu sounded appealing but was a huge disaster. The food was inedible. The service was poor ( we were always looking for waitstaff to refill water glasses). With a party of 6, we will never return. Sad truth is the restaurant was not busy for a Saturday night. Now we know why.
- A nice restaurant - the foodYoop5Dined on 2/18/2012A nice restaurant - the food was well above average but not special and prices are high.
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2012Food was very good. Service was good. But, it took a long time to get each thing we ordered and it didn't look like it was the servers fault.
- Nice Ambiance, Hit or Miss DishesIoneTaylorVIPDined on 2/15/2012Ocean Grill has a nice ambiance and good service, but the food flavors were a little off on some of the dishes. The skewered shrimp were difficult to remove from the skewer. The broth in the seafood hot pot had an odd flavor. And the grape sorbet came with flavors of apple, cinnamon and pineapple, which wasn't bad, but wasn't what we were hoping to taste. The raw oysters were good, and the trout dish was well prepared and delicious.
- Valentines day disaster!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012My boyfriend took me here for Valentines day, and we will never be back. The crab legs were dry and the server did not bring butter out with them. We wanted to ask her but she barely came around. There was also a couple in the corner basically groping each other, and it was terrible to be near! I could see the servers pointing and talking about the bit no one said or did anything. Needless to say, I will NEVER be back
- I have been to Ocean GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I have been to Ocean Grill before with a large group and it was wonderful, but my most recent trip was with my boyfriend for Valentines Day and it was absolutely delightful. The service was amazing and the food was fast and delicious.Special Features:
- Everything was excellent.JamesBVIPDined on 2/11/2012Everything was excellent. It's a little pricy but that was expected. I was surprised they were not serving much seafood (no crablegs, lobster, etc) but the scallops and salmon we had were wonderful. Service was very attentive and knowledgable. It's not a really large place so it may be tough to bring large groups when they're busy. It's better suited for 2-4 people.Special Features:
- The food and wine were prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2012The food and wine were pretty decent and for the location, ok on price. Had the mussels as an appetizer (not much broth), a way too big market salad and the day-boat scallops for the entree. My Fiance had the Seafood Chowder which he loved and the jumbo prawns for his entree. The prawns were a little dry and didn't have any consistent flavor, just pops of spice here or there. Service was fine.Special Features:
- The food was good but a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012The food was good but a little inconsistent. We had an oyster appetizer which was creamy and delicious except for one slightly off oyster. My grilled prawns with sirachi sauce were tasty but a bit overcooked. Chuck's Norwegian salmon was delicious. Our server was great! Attentive and professional. We will try again because overall the food was very good, and we love fresh seafood.Special Features:
- Sad to see that their menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2012Sad to see that their menu has drastically diminished in the Entree section. Ocean Grill is the name, but not much Ocean going on in the Entrees. Where's the lobster, crab and other white fish, such as halibut or swordfish, etc.?Special Features:
- Hit ocean grill on FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012Hit ocean grill on Friday night @ 6:30pm, and it was surprisingly uncrowded. We had small plates for our dinner, and all of them were very well prepared. The seafood enchiladas were excellent, crab cakes were very meaty, cod was cooked perfectly, and calamari was tender, crispy, and delicious. It wasn't blow-your-socks-off-at-a-5-star-restaurant good, but it was all excellent. And the seafood was all very fresh. Dress code was casual. Looked like a good place for drinks, too. Definitely will eat here again.Special Features:
- Meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2012Although we had heard largely negative reviews of Ocean Grill, we decided to try it for ourselves. We left extremely disappointed and will likely never return. I would not recommend this restaurant for dinner. I have heard good things about their appetizers/small plates.
- This would be one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2012This would be one of the best Resturant Week lunches I ever had. (I had the Salmon)Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2012We enjoyed a most delicious lunch during Restaurant Week. The salmon was fresh and perfectly cooked. The portions were just the right size to come away full and service was fantastic. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- We went for January RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/23/2012We went for January Restaurant Week & were very pleased. Excellent waiter, very fresh salad, & excellent fish. The chocolate torte was really decadent.Special Features:
- Ocean Grill always has fantasitcOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/23/2012Ocean Grill always has fantasitc food and a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Food was great. Had the prawnsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/21/2012Food was great. Had the prawns which were done to perfection. The polenta was done to perfection. Service was quick. Tuna with prosciuto was not overcooked and melted in the mouth. Good job. Went there before a concert at 8. Started dinner at 6 which was enough time to walk to the overture center.Special Features:
- Very nice place on New YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Very nice place on New Years Eve. Service was great.Special Features:
- The food is always great atsuzny13Dined on 12/17/2011The food is always great at Ocean Grill. They consistently prepare excellent seafood and the small plates are creative and tasty.Special Features:
- I was cold sitting by theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/10/2011I was cold sitting by the window! being right up against the glass is a detriment. If there had been only two of us we could have chosen the outer most chairs but we were four so I wore my coat on my shoulders throughout the meal. The bread was delicious, light but crusty. I ordered two small plates and thought they would be similar in size. The crab cake was excellent! The 'beet' salad was much larger than I anticipated. I would return but request seating away from the window.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/6/2011We loved the cozy and inviting atmosphere. Service was timely, friendly and perfect from the moment we walked in the door. Cucumber water was refreshing. Small plates were a great idea to order as appetizers or to order a couple different ones as the main course. The items on the raw bar were both unique and delicious, especially the salmon stack and oysters. The scallops, trout, seafood hot pot and sirloin entrees were all perfectly plated and tasted amazing. We will definitely be going back for more!Special Features:
- It was very intimate for theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/5/2011It was very intimate for the occasion we were celebrating. I really enjoy the water with the cucumber! :) Very refreshing! I would have liked to see the waitress more, as I kinda felt a little unattended. However she still was very pleasnat. I would definately go back and would recommend!Special Features:
- The food was good. I orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2011The food was good. I ordered Scallops and they were excellent. My wife had the hot pot, and it was a little spicy, but I liked it so we switched.Special Features:
- We were there for our anniversary,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2011We were there for our anniversary, food was excellent.Special Features:
- Food was overpriced and notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011Food was overpriced and not very good. For being a seafood restaurant I expected excellent quality seafood and this was subpar. Should have known it was not going to be very good when there were only 3 other groups in the restaurant.