Occidental Grill and Seafood
1475 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Occidental Grill and Seafood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.occidentaldc.com/
- Phone: 2027831475x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30am – 10:00pm
Saturday 11:00am – 10:00pm
Sunday 11:00am - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday / 4:00pm - 7:00pm / Exclusively at the Bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Rodney Scruggs
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Occidental Grill and Seafood
The Occidental Grill & Seafood blends modern creativity with time-honored tradition in D.C.'s most stunning setting. Explore a comprehensive photography collection of famous 20th Century personalities, while choosing from over 200 wines to compliment Chef Rodney Scruggs's innovative Classic American menu. Just steps away from the White House and the Warner and National Theatre's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Occidental Grill and Seafood reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (45)special occasion (43)romantic (27)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (22)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (17)scenic view (15)hot spot (9)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Beautiful setting, great foodRegiVIPDined on 10/26/2014We (3) thoroughly enjoyed our dinner in this beautiful spot. Food was creative, beautifully presented and delicious. We had a nice bottle of wine that was moderately priced, considering the setting. Only complaint was that the wait staff removed the wine before the bottle was empty! We had to ask for it back but it was sealed for leaving the restaurant. This was a surprising gaff in such a classy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dinner, Entertaining EndDeanneDined on 10/23/2014I recently treated two dear friends from the West Coast to dinner here. We enjoyed a number of delicious and interesting menu options, including a scallops appetizer, duck and tuna entrees, and lobster mashed potatoes and mushroom sides. My only concern was that I'd pre-arranged by phone for a surprise birthday-celebration chocolate-pecan tart to be delivered at the end of our meal. When the time came, I watched in amusement as a desert with a candle was delivered to a nearby table where all there seemed surprised. The waiter left it anyway, and I then caught his eye and mouthed, "That was meant for us." He did eventually bring us a desert with a candle, although not the tart I'd ordered. Since we were not charged for this, I let it slide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service!JamieVIPDined on 10/23/2014Avant garde food, old world grace and grand tradition and history all around you! Ask for Table 142 where a key part of defusing the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBelgieDined on 10/20/2014The stalls are too small and not very comfortable, we waited a long time for the entrées (crab cakes), which were good but not warm enough, and then I got quite a shock when I received the bill (some prices are just ridiculous). However, the service (waiter) was pretty good.Special Features:
- Disappointing menu selection.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Considering the restaurant is considered a classic DC establishment only choice of two steaks on menu. Burgers were supposed to come with truffle oil but when arrived at table we were told they were out.
- Tradition with cutting edge food!JamieVIPDined on 10/17/2014One of my favorite restaurants in DC and beyond! Great food, service and ambience! We came back for brunch outside the next day and it was fabulous too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic DiningCaltagVIPDined on 10/13/2014Great location, great history with the thousands of historic photos on the wall. A bit too pricy for us to be a normal stop. French onion soup OK, but the lamb and clam chowder was delicious. Swordfish was very, very good, duck breast also good. I do recommend a visit, for the history if nothing else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichRVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food and service. A necessary stop in WashingtonSpecial Features:
- Deeply DisappointingRickVIPDined on 9/30/2014Been here many times before, this time it was awful. The terrible service embarrassed me in front of an important business client. Server failed to bring the client's drinks, served client's dinner cold (and it had to be sent back, which took at least fifteen minutes--when the food was returned to the table it was hot but had not been reset on the plate and it looked unappetizing), and served the wrong side dish which we brought to the server's attention. Another fifteen minute wait for the correct side dish. They were very efficient in bringing the $400 check, though. If you have an important dinner, go elsewhere.
- Worth the DriveSaraVIPDined on 9/26/2014We stopped at the Occidental on our way from Dulles Airport to Annapolis. It has been a longtime favorite and did not disappoint. We live in California where fois gras is now illegal, so I was delighted to see it on the menu. It was perfection - perfect with a crisp salad and excellent Pinot Gris. Our waiter was attentive and personable without hovering. All in all, the Occidental Grill continues to delight.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal and Great ServiceKateMVIPDined on 9/25/2014Or I might say great service and excellent meal because Momo made dining at the Occidental Grill a fabulous experience. He knew my friend and I were having a catch up after not seeing each other for almost ten years, and he gave us our privacy while still being instantly available if we needed anything. He also was very knowledgeable about the menu and made fabulous suggestions in terms of both food and drink. The restaurant has just switched to their fall menu--lobster mashed potatoes and seared yellow fin tuna -- how can one go wrong! It was one of the most perfect evenings I have had in very, very long time -- ten years probably.Special Features:
- Way over-rated!DavisfolksVIPDined on 9/19/2014We are huge foodies and this was supposed to be an incredible experience--what a waste. Everything sounded great but the food drastically underperformed. Most importantly, the meat was really dry even though it was ordered and cooked medium. A filet mignon and beef short rib that are dry--yuk! The scallops appetizer was good-not great. The salmon mousse was nothing special. The lobster bisque had poor taste. The lobster mashed potatoes as the only 5 star dish. For $150 without drinks for 2 adults, I would expect so much more. Service was great but the food way underperformed for what is supposed to be a top level restaurant.Special Features:
- Go for the Ambiance, Not the FoodEagle779VIPDined on 9/18/2014Dinner on the outdoor patio on a nice night with live music was delightful. Service was very good, and the wine list was adequate but uninspired. The biggest problem with Occidental Grill is the menu. Choices are very limited, and nothing is particularly appetizing. I ordered a special, which was grilled tuna. The tuna was good, and prepared rare (I asked for medium rare, but rare was fine). It was ok, but could have used a wasabi sauce or other spicy flavoring to relieve the blandness. The lobster mashed potatoes were generously laced with lobster, and were an excellent side dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Setting, Food DisappointingCandi935VIPDined on 9/13/2014We were excited to eat at the Occidential for dinner. Reviews were good. Just it wasn't that good. Asked about tasting menu on a SaturdY night...informed they did not have it. Salad was good. Entrees were not. Won't go back. Does not really have seafood. }.
- OMG for Occidental Grill!BuckDined on 9/13/2014Went here for 37th anniversary. Shannon was great. Had the filet with lobster mashed potatoes. Fabulous! The reduction sauce and black lentils surrounded the filet, cooked to a perfect medium rare, was outstanding. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- OverratedPanaceaDined on 9/7/2014The food was very basic, no surprises and the meats were significantly undercooked service was also very basic. For such a well known & historic place, this was disappointing.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014I've been dining at the Occidental for decades. It is always a treat for my guests and ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/6/2014An exceptional meal by any standard. The smoked salmon trio was novel and delicious. The surf & turf special was very expensive but excellent. The highlight of the dinner was our waiter, Mo, who was professional and so knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTouristDined on 9/3/2014It was regrettable that I was contacted 3x on the day of the reservation to make sure that my guests and I would be there. The right hand clearly did not know what the left hand was doing. It also would help in ordering a $38 rare steak to have it served rare, not with just a little pink in the center. The highlight was the best cornbread I have had for a long time.
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The food was fabulous. The service was impeccable. It is a very easy 3 minute walk to the national theater.Special Features:
- Needs more seafoodMichaelDined on 8/28/2014While the food was excellent, the best seafood was in the appetizers. There was only one seafood dish among the entrees. They should include more seafood or change the name of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC Institution Falls FlatChocoholicVIPDined on 8/27/2014This DC institution is resting on its laurels.The roast chicken was mediocre.I didn't want the kale, but they didn't permit substitutions.In other words, they said, "Screw you, customer!" We were sitting outdoors, and I saw a rat run through the restaurant. That's happened to me twice this summer at other restaurants, so I guess it's just part of city living.Finally, this is the second time I've dined eat The Occidental in the last year and both times there were problems with the food. The first time we complained, and the manager did an OUTSTANDING job of making up for the problem.This time I didn't complain. I was too busy talking to my friend. I'm unlikely to go back to The Occidental anytime soon.Special Features:
- Sarita19thDined on 8/24/2014Beautiful outdoor setting, which was welcoming to our whole family!Special Features:
- Beautiful ambiance.finediner42VIPDined on 8/24/2014Choose to sit outside on the couch chairs. They're very comfortable and are set up in a semi-secluded area. The short ribs for brunch with grits, braised kale, and egg were amazing. One of the best brunches I've had in DC.Special Features:
- Excellent servicekmo13Dined on 8/18/2014The restaurant was very accommodating. They responded to us with no fuss when we increased our group size & pushed back our reservation an hour. Wait staff was also very good, seeming to anticipate our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No "Occident"KulinaryKidVIPDined on 8/17/2014Excellent service ! Food was fresh, tasty, and unique. great experience, just be aware that it is priceySpecial Features:
- wonderful eveningmarineDined on 8/16/2014Everything worked Saturday night … from handy valet parking, choice of seating, quiet but vibrant atmosphere, outstanding waiter, an excellent dry martini made to my specifications and correctly presented and excellent food. This was to be a night for convivial grown-up family conversation over good food and drinks … the Occidental delivered on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iconic setting, still wonderfulHomerJDined on 8/16/2014No outdoor cafe says Washington, DC more than the Occidental, with the view of the Washington Monument and the Treasury Department, next to the White House. Wonderful setting, excellent food, attentive service. We had an absolutely splendid Saturday night dinner outdoors, on an August evening, and it was perfect in every way.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The food was fine, but the service disappointed on many levels. I didn't realize that the guitar player's speaker would point to our table a few minutes after sitting down. It's already a very noisy patio with the traffic, tour buses un/loading and regular helicopter buzz. "Butter" was not the answer I expected when I asked what was in the butter. Turns out it's apricot and honey, which was delicious. I shouldn't have had to ask for silverware, more water, etc. in my opinion. The pacing of the courses could improve. This was restaurant week, so some things can be overlooked. But, there are many other choices in the area. There seemed to be no interest, on the part of the waitstaff, in making sure I'd be excited to return.
- ocidentalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014I walk with a cane and steps are difficult. When I arrived at the outside hostess station I asked to be seated inside. I was sent up a long ramp to the entrance only too find that the only way into the dinning room was down a flight of steps. I was then sent back to the outside hostess station (down the ramp again). When I was offered an outside table I asked to be seated inside it seemed to be a problem for the hostess. Finally they remembered there was a way inside at street level By this time I am really loosing my desire to stay. The noise level was a turnoff, but the table I was given was in a surprisingly quiet area. The evening was saved by a very helpful waiter and busboy. The food was great with enough for a doggie bag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blending tradition with the newPigsFlyDined on 8/13/2014This is traditional, high-style cooking in a historic, elegant setting, rather akin to Delmonico's in New York City when it was at its height. But know that there is a creative, thinking, expert in the kitchen who gives everything an ample coating of whatever is contemporary and fresh. Dishes are interesting and full of surprises without being pretentious or overly thought-out. Best of all, it won't take the waitstaff a half hour to explain your entree. Occidental keeps it simple and intriguing; this makes for a special night out. Masterful.Special Features:
- M1M1MDined on 8/11/2014We went for DC restaurant week and had a fabulous birthday dinner! The regular menu is a bit pricey but our meal was well worth the deal. Depth and of flavors was delicious and creative. The inside of the restaurant (though still business/semi-formal attire-esque) was slightly more casual than I originally anticipated but still had a nice ambience. Our server was great and very attentive. Overall we really enjoyed a nice quiet dinner, my compliments to the chefs!Special Features:
- Quite Disappointing but Great ViewsdcoenophileDined on 8/10/2014I chose to dine at the Occidental Grill because I wanted to sit outdoors, and watch the Super Moon rise above the Capitol. The moon did not disappoint, but the Grill did. Service was good, but the food; not so much. I read the online menu, and was quite excited about a few listings. I ordered the Chilled Heirloom Gazpacho, and while it did have avocado and crab meat, the base more of a puree; similar to condensed tomato soup. It was quite bland. I then ordered the Prosciutto Wrapped Monkfish. The monkfish was overcooked, and the rest of the dish less than memorable. Nice wine by the glass list. After reading all the glowing reviews, I kept asking myself, if I was dining at the same restaurant that was reviewed so highly.Special Features:
- Almost perfectAlmostperfectDined on 8/2/2014Easy to find, being right across the street from the White House. From the wine list to the appetizers, and chef's complimentary "starters", it was what you would expect from an upscale DC restaurant. The main course was superb as well! Service was very professional and on point all the way till I received my check...this is where I found DC's prejudice. The waiter had asked if my wife and I were locals to DC, to which I replied, we live near Hagerstown. He then hands me the check (for $220.00) without so much as a thank you, or have a good evening, or thanks for coming in, etc. you get the point. It was a big disappointment to conclude a wonderful dinner. I hope in the future the management will better train their staff appropriately.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner, worth the price!GammillDined on 8/1/2014We visited for our 5 year anniversary and enjoyed it! They were so considerate and even went the extra mile for us to celebrate! They had a congratulatory card waiting for us and also gave is complimentary dessert for our anniversary ! The bar tender was patient with us and we enjoyed talking with him while waiting on our reservation since we arrived early. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is the best at OccidentalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The service at the Occidental is the best in town...the wait staff is prompt, polite and professional. Try their BLT for lunch with a side salad...just right.Special Features:
- always a pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014The Occidental is a great place to bring people you want to talk to as well as share a good meal with. Comfortable seating, excellent service, reliably good, if not great, American food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost 5 starsdineaboutDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter was excellent, the place was not overcrowded, the lobster bisque was a bit edgy, with an overcooked flavor. The drinks were very good. My NY Strip was good, but there was very little crabmeat on top, and the crab was barely warm. My husband's Filet Mignon was good. We finished with a berry compote and French press coffee, both of which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great serviceFoodluvrVIPDined on 7/23/2014I met a business colleague for lunch and we were both very pleasantly surprised! The food was very good - tuna and crab cakes and the service was old-fashioned - very professional and good. We will both be going back and we wondered why we hadn't thought of The Occidental before now!Special Features:
- ExcellencewestwoodkingDined on 7/19/2014Despite being feeling moderately busy in the bar dining room for a Saturday evening downtown, the service was very attentive, friendly, yet unobtrusive. Short rib and filet were perfect. Some of the best short rib I've ever had in fact. And the bar knew how to make my favourite cocktail, the Vesper. And free glasses of champagne for my wife's birthday.Special Features: