Occidental Grill and Seafood
1475 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Occidental Grill and Seafood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.occidentaldc.com/
- Phone: (202) 783-1475
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30am – 10:00pm
Saturday 11:00am – 10:00pm
Sunday 11:00am - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday / 4:00pm - 7:00pm / Exclusively at the Bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Rodney Scruggs
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Occidental Grill and Seafood
The Occidental Grill & Seafood blends modern creativity with time-honored tradition in D.C.'s most stunning setting. Explore a comprehensive photography collection of famous 20th Century personalities, while choosing from over 200 wines to compliment Chef Rodney Scruggs's innovative Classic American menu. Just steps away from the White House and the Warner and National Theatre's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Occidental Grill and Seafood reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)great for outdoor dining (43)fit for foodies (27)romantic (24)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (20)scenic view (17)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (14)hot spot (10)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Service is the best at OccidentalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The service at the Occidental is the best in town...the wait staff is prompt, polite and professional. Try their BLT for lunch with a side salad...just right.Special Features:
- always a pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014The Occidental is a great place to bring people you want to talk to as well as share a good meal with. Comfortable seating, excellent service, reliably good, if not great, American food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1186 reviews are from the Occidental Grill and Seafood reviews archive.
- Almost 5 starsdineaboutDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter was excellent, the place was not overcrowded, the lobster bisque was a bit edgy, with an overcooked flavor. The drinks were very good. My NY Strip was good, but there was very little crabmeat on top, and the crab was barely warm. My husband's Filet Mignon was good. We finished with a berry compote and French press coffee, both of which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great serviceFoodluvrVIPDined on 7/23/2014I met a business colleague for lunch and we were both very pleasantly surprised! The food was very good - tuna and crab cakes and the service was old-fashioned - very professional and good. We will both be going back and we wondered why we hadn't thought of The Occidental before now!Special Features:
- ExcellencewestwoodkingDined on 7/19/2014Despite being feeling moderately busy in the bar dining room for a Saturday evening downtown, the service was very attentive, friendly, yet unobtrusive. Short rib and filet were perfect. Some of the best short rib I've ever had in fact. And the bar knew how to make my favourite cocktail, the Vesper. And free glasses of champagne for my wife's birthday.Special Features:
- very enjoyableRedheadVIPDined on 7/18/2014Good service, good food, and an engaging bartender Mike, all made for a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Single servingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Crab cake and bread pudding were fantastic!!!! Serving sizes were perfect. Great service!!! Loved sitting outdoors... Very relaxing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth of JulyFranVIPDined on 7/4/2014I was disappointed in the menu. There was a special 4th of July menu and the usual lighter options were not available. Also, my appetizer was never brought to the table, my entrée was brought, when I mentioned about my appetizer they went to check == about 10 minutes later someone brought it out but I said I did not want it as I was 1/2 way through my entrée. They offered me dessert on the house for the error.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AliceAliceDined on 6/25/2014Great dining experience - had outstanding waiter and lovely menu; have visited before and was not disappointed - I would recommend who wants a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Occidental Grill & SeafoodLion26KingVIPDined on 6/21/2014The South shall rise again! I was blown away by the marvelous slant on Southern cooking.Special Features:
- Special CareRecentlyEmptyNestedDined on 6/20/2014I lined up the Occidental for my sister and her husband who were in town to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. They had nothing but wonderful things to say about how well they were treated and their overall dining experience. Thank you for making it a truly special occasion for them!Special Features:
- Nice Wvening with friendsWildcat76VIPDined on 6/17/2014A very nice evening. Good food, broad selection. Great service from our server Lolly, bartender Mike and matre de Linda.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/17/2014I have dined here for business previously and the food and service were so much better. The problem on my last visit the service was fair due to the server and most of the rest of the employees were focused on watching the World Cup. The special chicken my boss ordered over risotto the chicken was dry and the risotto someone in the kitchen was carried away with the salt shaker. With all the choices to dine I will not be returning any time soon.Special Features:
- History prevailsnjdevil1VIPDined on 6/12/2014A great place to eat surrounded by icons of American and worl history. The pictures and portraits alone ale the experience worthwhile. The service was excellent, the noise level very high. The food was inconsistent. Steaks were superb, crab cakes excellent. The rabbit was so so. Lobster mashed were to die for. Fish portions seemed to be on the small side versus the price.
- HikingirlOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014Love the location; sat outside and watched the city go by. Food was disappointing. Nice but way over priced. Very small portions are still small portions even if served fancy, "gourmet" or whatever. Still not worth $36 for an entree that you walk away still hungry! Service was amazingly slow, especially considering there were few there. We've eaten there before because we like the location but probably won't go back because it's just not worth it.Special Features:
- 2 out of 4 drinks were unavailableHamiltonDined on 6/10/2014bar is NOT ready for top shelf order !!! Noise from next to ours table did not allow us and our guests to have any conversation !!! We couldnt have drinks we ordered, FOOD WAS FANTASTIC !! witnessed ppl leaving due to loud table of 7 !! It was NOT what we had in mind when we invited friends we didn't see for long time and wished to dine and "catch up" !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentlov2eatDined on 6/7/2014The Occidental is in a spectacular location, beside the White House and near two historic theaters and the Willard Hotel. The inside feels like living history, and the atmosphere is wonderful. But the restaurant does not depend upon these strengths. The food is always good or excellent, and the service is always superb. I cannot imagine ever being disappointed in a meal at the Occidental.Special Features:
- Brunch at the Scali tableLABelloDined on 6/7/2014Being history buffs, my husband and I made reservations for brunch at 11:00am, when the restaurant first opens, and specifically requested the John Scali table. The waiter was very friendly and professional, being exceptionally patient as my husband and I completely geeked over finally visiting this historic place. He even accommodated our request for a photo of ourselves at the Scali table. The brunch menu had a little bit of everything. The food was very well prepared and beautifully served. The coffee was served French press style and was very smooth and rich. Perfection. Prices are reasonable for the class of restaurant that you will enjoy. The Occidental is a first class establishment and it shows in every detail.Special Features:
- Excellent Pre-theaterfoodie55VIPDined on 6/5/2014Went for pre-theater but was running late. All staff was friendly and great and got us out in time. Food was very good. Definately would recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Place to eat!missyDined on 6/4/2014We always eat at the Occidental when we are visiting DC. The Filet is just outstanding. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great location.casualdinnerDined on 6/1/2014The location is nice, especially in the evening on the patio. Service and food where very good. Interesting to see all the people who have been patrons at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Raw duck?LoveBeenzDined on 5/31/2014We wanted to have some upscale fine dining for our wedding anniversary with historical surroundings and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent presentation of the food. We were not so pleased when it turned out that the duck we were served were virtually raw and was told that that's how the chef usually cook it? When it finally were cooked (after having send it back twice) it tasted really good but by then the company at the table had already finished his dish. The rabbit that were served were OK but could have benefitted from some more spices. The vegetables and the mushrooms were very tasty and the starters (lobster soup and crispy veal sweetbreads) were likewise tasty and well composed. The service was also excellent.Special Features:
- Always pleasedluvditDined on 5/28/2014I hadn't been here for a few years, but was in town for a conference and went for dinner. It was as wonderful as ever. The food was great and the service was exceptional. It is one of my favorite DC restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They run out of menu items quicklyhmrtravelerDined on 5/25/2014Very limited seafood menu and they ran out of half of it before we could order. We ended up only getting appetizers because we were so uninspired by the rest of the dinner menu. Frankly, the brunch menu online looked a lot better, but apparently the kitchen is inflexible and will not divert from the dinner menu even when they are out of 50% or more of the seafood items on the dinner menu. They have a great outdoor seating area. If you can order something you really like before they sell out, I guess it's not a bad place to go.Special Features:
- Parisian patio dining in DCDCDinerDined on 5/24/2014The patio area was really terrific. The food was excellent and the ambience attractive and relaxing. Casual, but upscale. It is a very attractive area of the city and one of the best places to dine al fresco. Because of the beautiful architecture and wide boulevards, as well as several restaurants, it feels like Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningJacqDined on 5/22/2014Great food, strong drinks, knowledgeable and polite staff that made out special night wonderful. They answered questions about the place, treated us very well, and even gave us free drinks at the bar for our special date! Expensive, but famous and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere...barnone1Dined on 5/18/2014Nice menu, food OK not great. Wouldn't rush back to this restaurant to eat. The service was lacking. The "bottomless mismosas" were made with fresh O.J. but there was more O.J. than champagne, so much so, that we sent back for more champagne to be added. The outdoor dining atmosphere was absolutely lovely and the best part of the experience.Special Features:
- Perfect spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014We chose The Occidental for our post-graduation luncheon. It was the perfect choice, the food was great and the service was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Dining with historyCarla49foodandhistoryDined on 5/16/2014For 15 years I have been a Swiss TV correspondent in the U.S. The Occidental was my favourite place and still is. I paid a visit this week after many years and had lunch with history (the Cuba crisis was settled there). The food was as always excellent. Do not miss the Occidental if you are in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2014The filet is amazing, great cornbread and they had an excellent Albariño by the glass which we don't often find. Can't say a bad thing about this place, definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable EveninggeorgiDined on 5/11/2014Excellent mother's Day dinner. Gracious and warm server who helped us devise our own tasting menu. Gave us a tour of the upstairs at the end of our evening. Fabulous food and the SOMM recommended an amazing bottle of wine at my price point. If I lived in Washington I would be a regular. Please note we were guests the previous evening of a couple who took us to the Oval Room. Incredibly expensive - poor service and to our surprise just average food. Do yourself a favor and select this establishment. Outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely Overrated!LuvruveatsDined on 5/11/2014The best parts of the meal were the lobster mashed potatoes and the Citrus on the Rye whiskey drink. I ordered the Faroe salmon, and it was absolutely void of flavor, even with the artichokes. Way too pricey for the quality and limited food selection.
- brunchadriannDined on 5/11/2014went there for brunch menu is quite good but the food when it comes down to it is very simple..... upon further inspection i will say the dinner menu looks more "complex" so ill give that a trySpecial Features:
- Girl's NIght OutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014The food is outstanding. I love this Washington DC historic landmark! My sister, daughter and I enjoyed a girls-night out!Special Features:
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2014The crab cakes are fantastic. The scallops melt in your mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatCLIFFSIDEVIPDined on 5/3/2014A gem year after year Dinner and the good pairings are wonderful The cornbread is something else. Excellent food, service Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodRandyDDined on 5/3/2014Went with a group of six including a young person. The menu is extensive and the quality of the seafood was excellant. The waiter was very knowledgable and we thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. For a chain restaurant, I found the food to be very good. I would go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful servicesaraDined on 4/26/2014Very good food and excellent service. The waitress went above and beyond to make our dining special.Special Features:
- No longer a favorite.frequentdinerDined on 4/17/2014We've always enjoyed coming to The Occidental whenever we're in D.C., but I don't think we'll be coming in the future. The menu has changed quite a bit, it was more limited than in the past, and we all had difficulty picking something that we thought we might like. Once the food came, we all felt disappointed in our selection. There are so many other choices in the area, that to pay such high prices for lackluster food is a shame. Also, the women's restroom was very poorly kept up.
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014Terrible from the moment we checked in with the rude, clueless hostess right up to trying to pay the bill! Not one thing was done right here! Thought these type of service/dining nightmares only happens on the shows on the Food Network! Stay away, you will be utterly disappointed!