Occidental Grill and Seafood
1475 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Occidental Grill and Seafood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.occidentaldc.com/
- Phone: 2027831475x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 11:30am – 10:00pm
Saturday 11:00am – 10:00pm
Sunday 11:00am - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday / 4:00pm - 7:00pm / Exclusively at the Bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Rodney Scruggs
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Occidental Grill and Seafood
The Occidental Grill & Seafood blends modern creativity with time-honored tradition in D.C.'s most stunning setting. Explore a comprehensive photography collection of famous 20th Century personalities, while choosing from over 200 wines to compliment Chef Rodney Scruggs's innovative Classic American menu. Just steps away from the White House and the Warner and National Theatre's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Occidental Grill and Seafood reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (50)special occasion (50)great for lunch (28)fit for foodies (27)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (20)notable wine list (20)scenic view (18)good for groups (15)great for brunch (14)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- Needs more seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014While the food was excellent, the best seafood was in the appetizers. There was only one seafood dish among the entrees. They should include more seafood or change the name of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sarita19thDined on 8/24/2014Beautiful outdoor setting, which was welcoming to our whole family!Special Features:
- Beautiful ambiance.finediner42VIPDined on 8/24/2014Choose to sit outside on the couch chairs. They're very comfortable and are set up in a semi-secluded area. The short ribs for brunch with grits, braised kale, and egg were amazing. One of the best brunches I've had in DC.Special Features:
- Excellent servicekmo13Dined on 8/18/2014The restaurant was very accommodating. They responded to us with no fuss when we increased our group size & pushed back our reservation an hour. Wait staff was also very good, seeming to anticipate our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No "Occident"KulinaryKidVIPDined on 8/17/2014Excellent service ! Food was fresh, tasty, and unique. great experience, just be aware that it is priceySpecial Features:
- wonderful eveningmarineDined on 8/16/2014Everything worked Saturday night … from handy valet parking, choice of seating, quiet but vibrant atmosphere, outstanding waiter, an excellent dry martini made to my specifications and correctly presented and excellent food. This was to be a night for convivial grown-up family conversation over good food and drinks … the Occidental delivered on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iconic setting, still wonderfulHomerJDined on 8/16/2014No outdoor cafe says Washington, DC more than the Occidental, with the view of the Washington Monument and the Treasury Department, next to the White House. Wonderful setting, excellent food, attentive service. We had an absolutely splendid Saturday night dinner outdoors, on an August evening, and it was perfect in every way.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The food was fine, but the service disappointed on many levels. I didn't realize that the guitar player's speaker would point to our table a few minutes after sitting down. It's already a very noisy patio with the traffic, tour buses un/loading and regular helicopter buzz. "Butter" was not the answer I expected when I asked what was in the butter. Turns out it's apricot and honey, which was delicious. I shouldn't have had to ask for silverware, more water, etc. in my opinion. The pacing of the courses could improve. This was restaurant week, so some things can be overlooked. But, there are many other choices in the area. There seemed to be no interest, on the part of the waitstaff, in making sure I'd be excited to return.
- ocidentalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014I walk with a cane and steps are difficult. When I arrived at the outside hostess station I asked to be seated inside. I was sent up a long ramp to the entrance only too find that the only way into the dinning room was down a flight of steps. I was then sent back to the outside hostess station (down the ramp again). When I was offered an outside table I asked to be seated inside it seemed to be a problem for the hostess. Finally they remembered there was a way inside at street level By this time I am really loosing my desire to stay. The noise level was a turnoff, but the table I was given was in a surprisingly quiet area. The evening was saved by a very helpful waiter and busboy. The food was great with enough for a doggie bag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blending tradition with the newPigsFlyDined on 8/13/2014This is traditional, high-style cooking in a historic, elegant setting, rather akin to Delmonico's in New York City when it was at its height. But know that there is a creative, thinking, expert in the kitchen who gives everything an ample coating of whatever is contemporary and fresh. Dishes are interesting and full of surprises without being pretentious or overly thought-out. Best of all, it won't take the waitstaff a half hour to explain your entree. Occidental keeps it simple and intriguing; this makes for a special night out. Masterful.Special Features:
- M1M1MDined on 8/11/2014We went for DC restaurant week and had a fabulous birthday dinner! The regular menu is a bit pricey but our meal was well worth the deal. Depth and of flavors was delicious and creative. The inside of the restaurant (though still business/semi-formal attire-esque) was slightly more casual than I originally anticipated but still had a nice ambience. Our server was great and very attentive. Overall we really enjoyed a nice quiet dinner, my compliments to the chefs!Special Features:
- Quite Disappointing but Great ViewsdcoenophileDined on 8/10/2014I chose to dine at the Occidental Grill because I wanted to sit outdoors, and watch the Super Moon rise above the Capitol. The moon did not disappoint, but the Grill did. Service was good, but the food; not so much. I read the online menu, and was quite excited about a few listings. I ordered the Chilled Heirloom Gazpacho, and while it did have avocado and crab meat, the base more of a puree; similar to condensed tomato soup. It was quite bland. I then ordered the Prosciutto Wrapped Monkfish. The monkfish was overcooked, and the rest of the dish less than memorable. Nice wine by the glass list. After reading all the glowing reviews, I kept asking myself, if I was dining at the same restaurant that was reviewed so highly.Special Features:
- Almost perfectAlmostperfectDined on 8/2/2014Easy to find, being right across the street from the White House. From the wine list to the appetizers, and chef's complimentary "starters", it was what you would expect from an upscale DC restaurant. The main course was superb as well! Service was very professional and on point all the way till I received my check...this is where I found DC's prejudice. The waiter had asked if my wife and I were locals to DC, to which I replied, we live near Hagerstown. He then hands me the check (for $220.00) without so much as a thank you, or have a good evening, or thanks for coming in, etc. you get the point. It was a big disappointment to conclude a wonderful dinner. I hope in the future the management will better train their staff appropriately.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner, worth the price!GammillDined on 8/1/2014We visited for our 5 year anniversary and enjoyed it! They were so considerate and even went the extra mile for us to celebrate! They had a congratulatory card waiting for us and also gave is complimentary dessert for our anniversary ! The bar tender was patient with us and we enjoyed talking with him while waiting on our reservation since we arrived early. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is the best at OccidentalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014The service at the Occidental is the best in town...the wait staff is prompt, polite and professional. Try their BLT for lunch with a side salad...just right.Special Features:
- always a pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014The Occidental is a great place to bring people you want to talk to as well as share a good meal with. Comfortable seating, excellent service, reliably good, if not great, American food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost 5 starsdineaboutDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter was excellent, the place was not overcrowded, the lobster bisque was a bit edgy, with an overcooked flavor. The drinks were very good. My NY Strip was good, but there was very little crabmeat on top, and the crab was barely warm. My husband's Filet Mignon was good. We finished with a berry compote and French press coffee, both of which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great serviceFoodluvrVIPDined on 7/23/2014I met a business colleague for lunch and we were both very pleasantly surprised! The food was very good - tuna and crab cakes and the service was old-fashioned - very professional and good. We will both be going back and we wondered why we hadn't thought of The Occidental before now!Special Features:
- ExcellencewestwoodkingDined on 7/19/2014Despite being feeling moderately busy in the bar dining room for a Saturday evening downtown, the service was very attentive, friendly, yet unobtrusive. Short rib and filet were perfect. Some of the best short rib I've ever had in fact. And the bar knew how to make my favourite cocktail, the Vesper. And free glasses of champagne for my wife's birthday.Special Features:
- very enjoyableRedheadVIPDined on 7/18/2014Good service, good food, and an engaging bartender Mike, all made for a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Single servingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Crab cake and bread pudding were fantastic!!!! Serving sizes were perfect. Great service!!! Loved sitting outdoors... Very relaxing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fourth of JulyFranVIPDined on 7/4/2014I was disappointed in the menu. There was a special 4th of July menu and the usual lighter options were not available. Also, my appetizer was never brought to the table, my entrée was brought, when I mentioned about my appetizer they went to check == about 10 minutes later someone brought it out but I said I did not want it as I was 1/2 way through my entrée. They offered me dessert on the house for the error.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AliceAliceDined on 6/25/2014Great dining experience - had outstanding waiter and lovely menu; have visited before and was not disappointed - I would recommend who wants a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Occidental Grill & SeafoodLion26KingVIPDined on 6/21/2014The South shall rise again! I was blown away by the marvelous slant on Southern cooking.Special Features:
- Special CareOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/20/2014I lined up the Occidental for my sister and her husband who were in town to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. They had nothing but wonderful things to say about how well they were treated and their overall dining experience. Thank you for making it a truly special occasion for them!Special Features:
- Nice Wvening with friendsWildcat76VIPDined on 6/17/2014A very nice evening. Good food, broad selection. Great service from our server Lolly, bartender Mike and matre de Linda.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/17/2014I have dined here for business previously and the food and service were so much better. The problem on my last visit the service was fair due to the server and most of the rest of the employees were focused on watching the World Cup. The special chicken my boss ordered over risotto the chicken was dry and the risotto someone in the kitchen was carried away with the salt shaker. With all the choices to dine I will not be returning any time soon.Special Features:
- History prevailsnjdevil1VIPDined on 6/12/2014A great place to eat surrounded by icons of American and worl history. The pictures and portraits alone ale the experience worthwhile. The service was excellent, the noise level very high. The food was inconsistent. Steaks were superb, crab cakes excellent. The rabbit was so so. Lobster mashed were to die for. Fish portions seemed to be on the small side versus the price.
- HikingirlOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014Love the location; sat outside and watched the city go by. Food was disappointing. Nice but way over priced. Very small portions are still small portions even if served fancy, "gourmet" or whatever. Still not worth $36 for an entree that you walk away still hungry! Service was amazingly slow, especially considering there were few there. We've eaten there before because we like the location but probably won't go back because it's just not worth it.Special Features:
- 2 out of 4 drinks were unavailableHamiltonDined on 6/10/2014bar is NOT ready for top shelf order !!! Noise from next to ours table did not allow us and our guests to have any conversation !!! We couldnt have drinks we ordered, FOOD WAS FANTASTIC !! witnessed ppl leaving due to loud table of 7 !! It was NOT what we had in mind when we invited friends we didn't see for long time and wished to dine and "catch up" !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentlov2eatDined on 6/7/2014The Occidental is in a spectacular location, beside the White House and near two historic theaters and the Willard Hotel. The inside feels like living history, and the atmosphere is wonderful. But the restaurant does not depend upon these strengths. The food is always good or excellent, and the service is always superb. I cannot imagine ever being disappointed in a meal at the Occidental.Special Features:
- Brunch at the Scali tableLABelloDined on 6/7/2014Being history buffs, my husband and I made reservations for brunch at 11:00am, when the restaurant first opens, and specifically requested the John Scali table. The waiter was very friendly and professional, being exceptionally patient as my husband and I completely geeked over finally visiting this historic place. He even accommodated our request for a photo of ourselves at the Scali table. The brunch menu had a little bit of everything. The food was very well prepared and beautifully served. The coffee was served French press style and was very smooth and rich. Perfection. Prices are reasonable for the class of restaurant that you will enjoy. The Occidental is a first class establishment and it shows in every detail.Special Features:
- Excellent Pre-theaterfoodie55VIPDined on 6/5/2014Went for pre-theater but was running late. All staff was friendly and great and got us out in time. Food was very good. Definately would recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Place to eat!missyDined on 6/4/2014We always eat at the Occidental when we are visiting DC. The Filet is just outstanding. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great location.casualdinnerDined on 6/1/2014The location is nice, especially in the evening on the patio. Service and food where very good. Interesting to see all the people who have been patrons at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Raw duck?LoveBeenzDined on 5/31/2014We wanted to have some upscale fine dining for our wedding anniversary with historical surroundings and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent presentation of the food. We were not so pleased when it turned out that the duck we were served were virtually raw and was told that that's how the chef usually cook it? When it finally were cooked (after having send it back twice) it tasted really good but by then the company at the table had already finished his dish. The rabbit that were served were OK but could have benefitted from some more spices. The vegetables and the mushrooms were very tasty and the starters (lobster soup and crispy veal sweetbreads) were likewise tasty and well composed. The service was also excellent.Special Features:
- Always pleasedluvditDined on 5/28/2014I hadn't been here for a few years, but was in town for a conference and went for dinner. It was as wonderful as ever. The food was great and the service was exceptional. It is one of my favorite DC restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They run out of menu items quicklyhmrtravelerDined on 5/25/2014Very limited seafood menu and they ran out of half of it before we could order. We ended up only getting appetizers because we were so uninspired by the rest of the dinner menu. Frankly, the brunch menu online looked a lot better, but apparently the kitchen is inflexible and will not divert from the dinner menu even when they are out of 50% or more of the seafood items on the dinner menu. They have a great outdoor seating area. If you can order something you really like before they sell out, I guess it's not a bad place to go.Special Features:
- Parisian patio dining in DCDCDinerDined on 5/24/2014The patio area was really terrific. The food was excellent and the ambience attractive and relaxing. Casual, but upscale. It is a very attractive area of the city and one of the best places to dine al fresco. Because of the beautiful architecture and wide boulevards, as well as several restaurants, it feels like Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningJacqDined on 5/22/2014Great food, strong drinks, knowledgeable and polite staff that made out special night wonderful. They answered questions about the place, treated us very well, and even gave us free drinks at the bar for our special date! Expensive, but famous and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.