645 Walnut St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.obscuracincinnati.com/
- Phone: 5134213800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Contemporary French / American, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Tommy Malone
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Obscura
Obscura reinterprets a forgotten classic - "the cocktail lounge": offering refined guests an ideal atmosphere to enjoy intimate conversation, artfully infused libations, elegantly presented aperitifs and sweets, and ambient music styles from around the globe selected to enhance the social experience. Obscura's exquisite beauty will transport you to a captivating world of surrealistic encounters. The grand space majestically imposes itself in the form of a French Chateau fit for Napoleon. Deep wing back arm chairs, marble top bistro tables, and a grand player piano give the room a cozy but sophisticated feeling. This combined with the subtle warm glow of French Empire crystal chandeliers and white Italian table lamps create an enchanting and welcoming environment. Beneath Obscura, the hushed deep red decor of the Jim Thompson Room, offers privileged guests the perfect rendezvous: Decadent wines, bourbons by the barrel, liquor cabinets and lavish leather surroundings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Obscura reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)late-night find (3)special occasion (2)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- THE NON-RESERVED RESERVATIONOut2lunchDined on 9/24/2014Despite having booked this reservation on 9/14 and receiving confirmation on 9/15, as well as a reminder of it on 9/23, upon arrival, my friend and I were greeted by a sign on the door reading "closed for a private party. Two hostesses had no explanation and suggested we try Scene or Prime 47. I asked to speak to someone else and a young man came out. He asked if I made the reservation online so I showed him the confirmation on my iPhone. He suggested we come back at 7:00. I explained we had tickets for a 7:30 show. He then said we could have a seat in the back and he might make us a caprese salad, but a few sentences later said the kitchen was closed.Special Features:
- OutstandingJennDined on 9/12/2014This establishment accommodated my group party with class. Our server Charles went over and beyond. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conundrum...Rooftop4Dined on 6/28/2014There was no crowd. There were four bartenders standing behind the bar. It still took our small group 30 minutes for our drinks to be made. Great server, but not sure why she was getting no help. Evidently she had to "go downstairs" to get our drinks? Didn't make sense. Was a bit embarrassing, as we invited our group to meet us there. Everyone noticed the slow service. Great drinks once they arrived. Smoke presentation was cool.Special Features:
- The following 14 reviews are from the Obscura reviews archive.
- Good for drinksHphockVIPDined on 6/7/2014We went there based on the idea that OpenTable was about dining options. Since it was listed as French, we were looking forward to trying Obscura. There are only appetizers on the menu. We had drinks and the deviled eggs. There were three types of deviled eggs. Two were yummy, the red pepper seemed watery and lackluster in flavor. If you want to go with a date for drinks, this would be a good place to meet and talk - as for food, I would avoid.Special Features:
- Reservations = Why Bother?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/10/2014I had been to Obscura before and had a positive experience. Nice, quirky atmosphere, varied cocktail list and good apps. After last Saturday, however, I will not return. We had a reservation for 4 after a show at the Aronoff. I didn't know how long the show would last so I made a note in our reservation that we would definitely be over afterward. Admittedly, we arrived 10 minutes late, however when we checked in, the hosts said to one another "Oh, they showed, they go downstairs." Yes, they gave away our table. The downstairs is like a red dungeon - loud, not conducive to conversation, broken rail on the stairs. Cocktails are $10-15 each - not going to waste $$ in an atmosphere like that, especially when we had a reservation.
- DougVIPDined on 5/7/2014Loved our visit to Obscura and can't wait to go back. The food was excellent, flavorful and beautifully presented. The server was fantastic. She knew the menu well and helped to make our experience great. Recommend the sliders and the deviled eggs. The string quartet was a perfect addition.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchLexlexDined on 4/20/2014My friends and I really enjoyed Easter brunch. The saffron pancakes were an exotic treat; also we had the egg bacon croissant with cheese that was very tasty. The best part about our brunch was the mimosas and chocolate lava cake. Sunday is the perfect day to visit Obscura because parking is plentiful. I can’t wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for a drink.lmhamiltonDined on 4/5/2014I think that the décor and ambiance are quite intriguing, but the overall comfort would not lend itself to be a place to have a whole meal. It would be a great place to meet friends for some small plates to share or to grab a drink. The service was very polite and prompt. The restaurant itself wasn't so loud that you couldn't hear anyone talk, but it was also fairly vacant for a Saturday evening. Overall I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!Pleased2eatDined on 3/22/2014Obscura is fabulous!! Great atmosphere, great fun. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place!PaulDined on 3/15/2014We enjoyed our "pre-Aranoff theatre" appetizer and drinks. Very good service and tasty appetizers. Very good experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale, chicsusieDined on 3/13/2014Enjoyed our first trip to Obscura. Hard to believe it's in Cincinnati. Very chic and hip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Relaxing Night DowntownmegsterDined on 3/12/2014I am so happy Cincinnati finally has a craft cocktail lounge! The cocktails were superb and the ambiance was even better! There is truly a cocktail (even specialty virgin drinks) for everyone. They still have beer and wine for those who prefer the simpler things. It is an amazing place to sit and enjoy a fine beverage with friends for a night out on the town, especially if you want to have a drink, but don't like bars much. The atmosphere is very relaxing, with crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling; and winged-back chairs and sofas arranged in intimate seating areas. The staff was extremely helpful in making decisions and super friendly too. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The servers were friendlyCincydinerDined on 2/14/2014The servers were friendly and very informative. It was our first time there and was a unique experience. We would go back with friends to try a few more of the signature cocktails. The only complaint I had was we had to move because there was a large party standing over us as we were trying to have conversation. It seemed large parties took precedence over smaller parties as far as service. I made the reservation on open table and when I called to confirm obscura did not have my reservation so they made another one. Not sure if that was on open table's end or Obscura's end.Special Features:
- Good for a relaxing nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2014Obscura claims to bring back the idea of the cocktail lounge. It succeeds at that. Afraid that I was going to find a bevvy of tighly clad, young people excitedly taking selfies to mark the beginning of their night, I entered to find a nice variety of people actually talking and having a cocktail. Score 1 for Obscura. The ambiance was relaxed. I was actually able to HEAR the conversation with my friend. The small plates were uninteresting at best, but it is a cocktail lounge. Had the Caprese salad which was actually on 2 skewers. Tasty but not great. The lava cake was good and shareable. The by-the-glass wine list was far less daring than I expected. Our server was fabulous; friendly, connected, just attentive enough.Special Features:
- Best cocktail bar in CincinnatiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014Hands down. Go there, you won't be disappointed...unless you're trying to watch the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had fun experiencing ObscurafoodthatmakessenseDined on 1/18/2014I had fun experiencing Obscura for the 1st time. Loved the ambience and enjoyed two different cocktails. I plan to go back to try different cocktails and try some of their food menu offerings as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome decorbtbottVIPDined on 1/10/2014Love the set up but can't see it lasting here in Cincy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.