O'Briens Restaurant and Bar
1528 N Wells
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
O'Briens Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.obriensrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127873131
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:30am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Continental
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from O'Briens Restaurant and Bar
The O'Brien Family welcomes you to an atmosphere of casual dining with a Continental cuisine specializing in prime steak & fresh seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
O'Briens Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (9)special occasion (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- boy, was i wrong!WindyCityLoVIPDined on 9/5/2014alas, i had a misconception about o'brien's - been there "forever" and i thought it was kind of old and tired and overpriced. boy, was i wrong. while it has some "old world charm" in the decor, it felt open and clean (although the lighting was surging a lot that evening). their menu was quite affordable and our dirty martinis were "sturdy" to say the least. pleased to see some great appetizer and light entree items. we enjoyed grilled calamari and an order of crab cakes and then the spinach/salmon salad. what a surprise THAT was - not so much spinach but a very nice piece of salmon atop a lovely bed of seasonal tomatoes and fruit - melon, grapes and strawberries. it was FABULOUS!. our wait person was lovely and very efficient.Special Features:
- Wonderful brunchMmaureenVIPDined on 8/24/2014We went to O'Briens the morning after a family wedding. We had a wonderful time. Members of our group were able to order breakfast or lunch. The omelets were delicious - I had the spinach and feta cheese. The service was outstanding. We arrived when the restaurant opened, so it was not crowded and we were able to have a nice visit with family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow kitchenJandBVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our food was good and the wait staff were attentive, but the kitchen was really slow. Not the place on a Sunday if you are rushing to anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible serviceNHgastronomeDined on 7/20/2014Food was okay. Service, on the other hand was terrible. Had a table for 17 reserved. Had one waiter serving us. He was very slow. The restaurant was not that crowded at all. Several of my fellow diners had been there before and claimed that the service was slow when they visited last.Special Features:
- Di84Dined on 7/18/2014Food was not good. Expected better from a place that is in a great location and has a neat atomsphere.Special Features:
- Lovely patioSmartPakerLissaDined on 7/18/2014Early dinner (5:30) on patio on a Friday evening was quiet for conversation. Excellent service--attentive, friendly, patient. Perfect place for dinner before the early Second City show. Terrific burger; sumptuous salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location,locationMarilynVIPDined on 6/13/2014Convenient to Second City, Zanies, and other local entertainment .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the fishwaldmkaVIPDined on 6/5/2014Had the almond crusted whitefish and fish and chips. Both were good and so was the service. We sat outdoorsSpecial Features:
- The following 112 reviews are from the O'Briens Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- SloooowJustVisitingDined on 5/10/2014Our drinks were empty, our patience was wearing then and our waiter we no were to be found. It took well over 30 minutes for our dinners to show up. Though they were tasty, the price compared to the quantity was very lacking. We were offered a free dessert for our extended time of being forgotten about, but we already had dessert plans elsewhere. We won't go back.
- EnjoyedChidi20VIPDined on 4/27/2014We brought our 91 year old Mom here for her birthday dinner. The staff was amazing. They were kind. Our waitress was very helpful with the menu. Very enjoyable. They even gave us a free desert with a candle on it.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceBeckyMVIPDined on 4/18/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary with friends and the service was very good. It added to the enjoyment of the evening.Special Features:
- Unexpected Food Excellencecday12345VIPDined on 4/12/2014Although we've lived in Chicago for decades we had never been to O'Briens before. We had a taste for a pub experience, and this was perfect. I had the chicken pot pie, which had a superb crust; my wife had a burger, which was prepared exactly as specified on a warm pretzel roll; and the bread pudding to finish was superb. The server had worked there for years and steered us right on everything, and was very attentive without suffocating. It didn't hurt that it was a warm night and the doors were open and the street scene was vibrant and exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in Old Town!oldschoolDined on 4/8/2014O'Briens is definitely in a nice spot in Old Town on Wells St. The service is great and the food was prepared to my liking. Pretty sold drink menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/30/2014We go to O'Brien's frequently and always have excellent service and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Neighborhood RestaurantHowardVIPDined on 3/8/2014Our family has returned to O'Briens time and time again for several years - - it's one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. The food is excellent at reasonable prices. The free valet parking is a huge perk. And, the service is consistently outstanding. A special shout-out to Laura, the greeter at the host stand, who always greets us with a warm welcome and makes us feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2/21/2014DanoverVIPDined on 2/21/2014Great evening...everything was great , just as it usually is!!!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemHowardVIPDined on 2/15/2014Our family visits O'Brien's at least once a month - - the food and service are consistently excellent and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay for a quick mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/31/2014Food was decent & came quickly. We ordered sandwiches/burgers. My only complaint would be $6 for a side salad and same price for a cup of soup, but for the location (we were headed to Zanies for a show) is worth it. We were able to meter park right across the street, but that was just plain 'ole luck. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodwaldmkaVIPDined on 1/20/2014Got prime rib, mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!PFamilyDined on 1/11/2014The food, atmospher and the service at O'Brien's is exceptional. When asked about the prime rib, the server though a vegetarian, said that whenever the owner comes in that's what he orders. Having that "knowledge" is much appreciated in a server. She was right...the prime rib was exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Menu... Great Service....PhilDined on 12/31/2013The variety on this menu would suit any palate.... the service was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Nice surpriseMommDined on 12/27/2013Start with free valet parking (!) add friendly staff, tasty food, lovely setting, reasonable price- really nice evening out. Wasnt expecting white table cloths. The place was busy with a couple large tables around us but we were able to converse and enjoy. Burgers and fishnchips were really good. Pretzel bun was nice touch as was the sweet potatoe fries. Cobb salad and coleslaw were just ok. Menu included high end steaks, burgers, and expected pub food- sheppherd pie, Fish n chips, pot pie- plus other dinner entres. We were very happy. Made a reservation on Open Table and they seated us promptly when we arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Family FindOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/24/2013We ate at O'Briens for Christmas Eve and the food & service was fabulous. Everyone was very friendly and the food was fabulous! We would all go there again to diine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimeBigTLKDined on 12/14/2013Had supper here for the first time we all enjoyed the food and atmoshere the service was great.Special Features:
- Dinner B4 Second CityJimBillyDined on 12/14/2013Me and my wife and 2 teenagers went here before going to a show at second city. The liver was excellent as was the flat iron steak and the steak sandwiches. I recommend the buffalo shrimp appetizer. Very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood SpotKikiDined on 12/7/2013The dining room, a little up from the bar area, is very pleasant and was decorated nicely for Christmas. Our service, however, was haphazard. We lost our waitress for a while and the host pinch-hitted, she later appeared but was not attentive. We ordered coffee and waited and waited; since we had a concert to make (which the staff knew) we had to leave without coffee or dessert.Special Features:
- Great Food!KayjayDined on 11/23/2013My family and I made reservations for 5:30PM through open table. We had reservations for Second City at 8:00PM. We got there early and our table was waiting. The staff was very attentive and friendly. My husband had the Chicken Pot Pie which he said was very good. My daughter and I both had the Filet was was excellent! We visit tthe city often and will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayPpppDined on 11/11/2013Restaurant is clean and attractive and the service excellent. Food just so-so, however.
- Service started out good....BetsyDined on 10/19/2013....but deteriorated enormously as the night went on. Waiter disappeared for over 30 minutes at a time. Twice I had to go and try to find him. Good thing his tip was included in the bill. Won't go to O'Brien's again in a group. Very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first time at O'BriensMikeDined on 10/12/2013It was our first time at O'Briens and found it to be a very enjoyable experience. I would definitely come back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at O'BriensNormDined on 10/11/2013Great food, relaxed atmosphere and excellent service. Great experienceSpecial Features:
- O'Brien'sDanoverVIPDined on 10/4/2013We hit O'Brien's about four times a year. We always have a good time on the patio....great place for a sandwich and beer.Special Features:
- O'Brien'sluv2travelVIPDined on 10/2/2013Had an appt in the area, stopped for lunch. I wanted something light, and healthy. I was directed to the spinach and salmon salad by the waitress. She was very knowledgable and helpful about the menu. The salad was fantastic. The spinach was so fresh, it squeaked. The strawberry and orange segments were fresh and very tasty. The grilled salmon was seasoned very well. I would have liked it more rare, but that is me. The raspberry vinegarette topped everything off nicely, served on the side. Very pleasant and tasty lunch.Special Features:
- We have been to O'Briens manyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2013We have been to O'Briens many times and we always enjoy the garden seating - so relaxing and tranquil! Food is consistently very good with many choices so everyone can find something they will enjoy. Our only surprise and disappointment was service this time - slow to acknowledge us & then bring our drinks, also errors in the order. Having said that, he was still very pleasant, and the host was very engaging & attentive. We will go back as we know this is the exception.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly staffDoyleDined on 8/23/2013The food is always great here, and the staff is extremely friendly. The manager is always attentive and personally introduces himself almost every time we are here. Great neighborhood spot, and I LOVE the back patio outdoor area during the summer.Special Features:
- Good atmospherefood2loveVIPDined on 8/23/2013The food was very good , but the service is just ok.IiSpecial Features:
- Fun for FridaycrtdinerDined on 8/16/2013We joined friends for a pre-show dinner and loved it, they had never been to O'Briens and were pleased with our choice. Our server Brian was attentive without trying to be our new best friend. The outdoor courtyard, with colorful flowers, exposed brick was perfect. The portions are generous without being ridiculous, the tilapia was excellent and the scallops were devine. Love the bread pudding. Can't say if the wine list was notable, when I can get a good pinot noir for under $10, i'm a happy diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O Brien's is a great restaurant.SaraDined on 8/2/2013O Brien's is a great restaurant. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is delicious and the4 ambience is great. We sat outdoors in the afternoon and it was wonderful. I believe that a person could go there with a group, as a couple and if one desires to eat alone,--especially during the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2013We had a lovely dinner and the service was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for the outdoor patiocubsfan60625VIPDined on 7/24/2013Went for the outdoor patio and for burgers. Was not disappointed. Friendly wait staff and great outdoor eating area. Appetizer took too long so they comped it, which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.