Obika Mozzarella Bar
181 Bay St
Toronto, ON M5J 2T3Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Obika Mozzarella Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.obika.ca/
- Phone: 4163016870
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Obika Mozzarella Bar
Obikà is a new restaurant concept that centers its offering on the Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP, together with the research of recipes and artisanal products typical of the Italian tradition and characterized by very high quality. With locations in Rome, Milan, London, Los Angeles, New York and Tokyo, Canada's first Obika Mozzarella Bar will open soon in Brookfield Place in the heart of downtown Toronto.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Obika Mozzarella Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Its all about the sauce!PatriotDined on 8/30/2013Being an Italian and being fortunate enough to try some of the best Italian dishes from so many different homes and restaurants both locally and in Italy - I can tell you that the most important part of most of these meals is the sauce. Aside from the delicious Mozzarella di Buffalla (Oh so good) - the chef nailed the sauce. I would go as far as to say that the Pasta plate I enjoyed their was one of the best in the city. In addition, the pizza was right behind it in terms of taste and flavour. I should note that both were as simple as can be. The Pasta was just sauce and the Mozzarella and the pizza with prosciuto. Add Obika to your MUST visit list. (Sorry if there are grammar errors - typing so fast as I am anxious to go back to Obika)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great place to share ordersluv2eatDined on 8/14/2013a great place to share orders to experience the variety offered. Pride taken in the freshness and source of their food.Lovely fresh flavors.The service is excellent and welcoming. Less extensive wine list : good for less knowledgeable drinkers but perhaps npt enough choice for wine lovers. Good price point however. Overall a fun and delicious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obika Dining ExperienceMariaDined on 7/19/2013I chose OBIKA for the atmosphere and for the superior quality of buffala bocconcini it carries. The venue is gorgeous! The burrata and bocconcini were excellent however the panzerotto was so flat when it arrived. I was quite dissappointed. I've only seen it served very puffy when it is served immediately after it's fried. It was as flat as a schnitzel. The panzerotto had so liitle mozzarella. We also chose the lasagna dish which was edible but too saucy. It was extremely expensive however I will return if these two dissappointing dishes are perfected. All dishes should be perfect for what is charged. I cannot close without mentioning the service was excellent and staff was attentive and quite delightful.Special Features:
- If you love MozzarellaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/26/2013Had both lunch and a dinner here. Margarita pizza was fab. Didn't expect for find this inside a mall, but was our good luck.Special Features:
- Reasonable for a business lunchSMarloweDined on 6/13/2013I wasn't aware that this restaurant was in the TD tower, which I wasn't huge fan of. The food was pretty good - mozzarella was obviously fresh! However they were out of quite a few different wines and mozzarella selections which was disappointing. The waitress was a bit aloof as well, and the prices were a tad high. I wouldn't come back here for dinner, but I would recommend for a business lunch if you are downtown in the financial district.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not greatTODinerVIPDined on 6/12/2013Another chain to hit Toronto offers many takes on the mozzarella theme. The mozzarella is good but the menu is uninspiring. It is a tough location, being in the openess of the mall of an office building. Decent spot but I do not think I could go there over and over again.Special Features:
- too bad its in an office foyerarcticguyDined on 6/10/2013not an ideal location for a resto with this quality food - tho in the evening its dead quiet. That said, the cheeses were awesome. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!TigressDined on 5/31/2013The food and service is absolutely outstanding. I haven't had such great food or service in such a long time. I am quite surprise that this gem is not more popular. I love this place... In fact, I have returned 3 times over the past week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the fresh mozzarella,maricsDined on 5/30/2013Loved the fresh mozzarella, a must have if it is your first time to eat at the restaurant. Pasta I had was not so bad either but nothing spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceFriendlyTorontonianDined on 5/25/2013Great service. All of the service staff was friendly and helpful (not just the person assigned to our table). Also, great ambience and good food. All in all an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for cheese loversMilaDined on 5/24/2013Great place for cheese lovers (yummy fresh mozzarella!!!) and vegetarians. Excellent dessert - almond chocolate cake + cappuccino!!! The service is also very good. Definitely will be coming back.Special Features:
- mediocredlrysgnryDined on 5/18/2013I found the food at Obika disappointing--my risotto was over salted--don't chef's taste the food before they send it out?? My friend's spaghetti was over sauced and the sauce itself was too thick. This restaurant focus is supposed to be mozzarella (DOP) however one wouldn't know that by the menu or any plate except the appetizer choice of the 3 types of mozzarella. It is what you would expect from a chain--mediocrity. Wish I had know it was a chain and I wouldn't have bothered to go at all.
- Server was excellent, friendlydeejellaDined on 5/10/2013Server was excellent, friendly and well knowledged with the restaurant's menu items. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2013For a 2 person dinner it was $140.00 and not worth at the price. The mozzarella app was good but not worth $34 (I'm not cheap either). We had the option of wines (by the glass) and had to choose the 3rd choice due to not having any in stock. We wanted the bresaola with the mozzarella but they did not have any. The restaurant was very under stocked for a Saturday night. I had the lasagna and it seemed like it was made a few days ago because the cheese in the lasagna had a sour smell (worked in restaurants and knew that smell). We were not happy with the place and I never write bad reviews but I was not impressed.
- We sat at a table for ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013We sat at a table for ever. We waited for water for well over 20 minutes, asked 3 times Our meals took a long time, we were sharing a side dish and a main, and we didn't get plates to use. The lights kept going on and off, very distracting. I'll try it one more time before I put an absolute no on it.
- My friend and I had a delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013My friend and I had a delightful evening. The food was amazing - a wonderful palate sensation! Everything caused you to eat very slowly and savour. Stephania (sp?) was an absolute delight and she attended to us but not overly and made sure our experience was a great one. I would have no reservation referring anyone to Obika. My friend and I have both indicated that we would like to come back on a Thursday night which I hope will be soon.Special Features:
- The tasting plate of threeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2013The tasting plate of three mozzarellas is outstanding. However, in the open area you can hear all the noise from neighbouring Marche - and the structure of the building makes everything echo. You can hear the music from both restaurants, which is off-putting. Having said that, the food is really good if you like cheese (why else would you go?).Special Features:
- A very good meal. The mozzerellaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2013A very good meal. The mozzerella is the best at this restaurant. The pasta was delicious. Service was just right.Special Features:
- Serving staff were bit taskOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013Serving staff were bit task oriented in the start then they were quite friendly. Some awkward situation between staff but live music was great, great beer, mozeralla and pizzaSpecial Features:
- Cheese DreamsdiningdivaDined on 3/22/2013If you love cheese, this is one of those places for you. The lowly and usually bland mozzarella is elevated with different treatments and techniques - smoking, curing, aging. Knowledgeable staff and quite nice wine list. The location is a bit odd with part of the restaurant in the lobby of an office building, which is a bit cavernous and noisy, so dine inside where it feels like a proper restaurant, if you can.Special Features:
- I had lunch there with co-workersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013I had lunch there with co-workers and left very impressed so happily I had booked dinner before a musical for Saturday eve. It was such a let down, that I cannot believe it was the same place! Of course, on first visit, it was business lunch and the owner was there and he even treated us to Proseco. Celebrating my friend's birthday, the young girls were there, but useless. They did not introduce the venue and the specialty of cheeses... she was simply standing to take our order, like a servant at Tim Hortons. The special: pasta and salmon was just warm, sticky, no taste, on the dry side... salt shaker 1st: stuck, 2nd empty.. I was embarassed!Special Features:
- I love obika !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2013I definitely love obika. A couple of days ago I invited a girl friend that had never been in Obika and we just had a blast! The food is just delicious. Authentically I will go more often!Special Features:
- Terrible choice. Out of CabernetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2013Terrible choice. Out of Cabernet and Carpaccio. Portions small and expensive. Food not what we expected. Salmon salad was smoked salmon and the salad with roasted pork was small rolled up ham slices not roasted pork.
- Good location, food is goodgladlotusVIPDined on 2/20/2013Good location, food is good and so are the prices...not spectacular, but a solid lunch choice.Special Features:
- Enjoyable lunch with a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013Enjoyable lunch with a group of 6. Quick service but not too fast to feel rushed. Good suggestions from the hostess.Special Features:
- Wasn't sure what to expect.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2013Wasn't sure what to expect. Food and service was great...very quiet. Next time, I would visit for lunch.Special Features:
- I had heard good things aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/8/2013I had heard good things about this restaurant....especially related to their specialty (mozzarella).. I unfortunately chose not to have their specialty and went with their lasagna. I found the sauce to be too thick and had too much meat. The pasta itself had a strange consistency. I plan to go back though and try out their antipasti which feature the mozzarella.
- The food and drinks were asOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/7/2013The food and drinks were as good as always. I was very dissatisfied with the service. I told my friends about the Aperitivo Milanese and that's why we went there on that day. I was surprised to hear that due to lack of customers they were not offering it on that day or the weeks prior.But our disappointment is not the worst part of it, the little care the waitress showed us and the lack of an apology are definitely the reason I will not go back. I'm one of those Torontonians who go out to dinner 4 or more times a week and with so many options out there,I believe restaurants should excel at all levels if they want to stay in business. Please remove the ad about Aperitivo when you are not offering it so not to disappoint other customers.
- i haven't had mozzarella likeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/5/2013i haven't had mozzarella like this since I was in Italy almost 5 years agoSpecial Features:
- nah...JoannaFoodieDined on 2/2/2013There was nobody there...they did not come back to to the table to ask how everything was, had to wave down the waittress when I needed salt, pepper..the tea they forgot about..and to ask why the ice cream was missing from the dessert (they didn't have any and didn't even mention it when they brought out the cake)..they also just gave us the bill without us asking, or asking if we were done
- Wonderfully fresh and tastyhbalterDined on 2/2/2013Wonderfully fresh and tasty Mozzarella di Bufala. Great service, terrific evening, no complaints at all. I was there on a "date" with my 11 year old daughter. She felt very grown up as we shared a delicious appetizer, salad and pizza. Server was friendly and quite knowledgeable about the food and the history. Highly recommend this restaurant when in the downtown core.Special Features:
- Okay not somewhere I can recommendLizBVIPDined on 1/30/2013The food wasn't that great, certainly not what I was expecting. Maybe I just chose the wrong items. But we ended up spending $35 each on lunch (two starters, a shared entree and two hot teas - no booze - including tip) which seemed really steep for average food & slow (although very pleasant) service. I was prepared to spend that expecting to really enjoy my meal. But as things stand I won't be back.
- FreshAlainCDined on 1/26/2013All around a great place - I always come back for the fresh food and great ambiance.Special Features:
- I ate at Obika on Friday,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013I ate at Obika on Friday, January 25th and had the fish special. Unfortunately, the fish (tuna and scallops on risotto) were over done but that was my fault as I should have remembered not to have ordered a fish special. My lunch partner had the mushroom gnocchi which was excellent.Special Features:
- I will definitely have toAnndreaDined on 1/23/2013I will definitely have to try their mozzarella app next time. Their grilled eggplant was fine but not the greatest.Special Features:
- Best Lasagne Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/22/2013Dining at Obika is always a treat - their lasagne is divine and the best there is, hands down. The mozzarella platter is delicious, as well.Special Features:
- The food portion was SUPEROpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013The food portion was SUPER small but very good service. The food was not delicious.
- Food is great!! Fresh andVvvPppDined on 12/29/2012Food is great!! Fresh and delicious! Fress Mozzarella is a must for an appetizer and the gnocci is extremely tasty.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant with deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2012Amazing restaurant with delicious food and very good service.Special Features:
- So glad that we can finallySimonDined on 12/27/2012So glad that we can finally get fresh and authentic buffalo mozzarella products here in Toronto. Well presented and great tasting.Special Features: