647 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.obaony.com/
- Phone: 2122458880x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11:30pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday-Saturday 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Ian Kittichai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For special events, please email Jennifer@obaony.com
A word from Obao
OBAO bridges the gap from the street of Southeast Asia to the streets of NYC, bringing you combinations of various Thai and Vietnamese comfort foods with a twist. OBAO takes traditional dishes from Thailand and Vietnam like Pad Thai and Pho Noodles and adds a touch of luxury and elegance without ever compromising on authenticity. At OBAO, you will taste the highest quality ingredients while experiencing comfort through food you never thought was possible.Continued
With the success of our Flagship restaurant in midtown and Water Street location, OBAO is proud to unveil its Hell's Kitchen location located on 9th avenue between 45th&46th.
With the success of our Flagship restaurant in midtown and Water Street location, OBAO is proud to unveil its Hell's Kitchen location located on 9th avenue between 45th&46th.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Obao reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (48)good for groups (34)hot spot (23)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (17)special occasion (15)late-night find (13)romantic (10)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Delicious noodle soupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I enjoyed the great big bowl of soup with rice noodles, chicken and other goodies. My friend had the soup with a coconut milk base. That was tasty too. The service was pleasant and the ambiance lively but not overbearing. Very pleasant decor, especially the lanterns. I am looking forward to a return visit...soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellentDinernatorDined on 10/19/2014Had a great time with my entire family. The food was exceptional and everyone in my party enjoyed themselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Viet Namese!AnonymousDined on 10/18/2014Finally - a great place for Viet Namese food! Hip bar, clean, tables not crowded together - and the food is GREAT! Went here with kids, ordered 2 spare ribs on sugar cane and had to order a third because the kids were fighting over them. Chicken satay, summer roll, and kimchee french fries were equally yummy. For entrees, we got the pork chops, curry chicken, coconut rice, fried sticky rice with pork and beef luclak - all excellent and satisfied our Viet Namese craving. Waiter was patient and attentive. Special mojito-like drink also fab (and strong!). And who thought dessert would be so fantastic? Panna cotta was perfect - not too sweet, not too thick and the sorbet was bracingly refreshing (again not too sweet).Special Features:
- A Great Substitute for QueensbrklynDined on 10/17/2014If you can't go to Queens and have a craving for Thai/Vietnamese dishes, then Obao is the perfect place to satisfy that hunger.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Find!!sdubbyaDined on 10/17/2014We went to Obao last night before a show. We were about 15 mins late due to traffic and were cutting it close to make it to our show. We let our waiter Ryan know that we were going to a show and he managed to get our food out very very fast. I think we waited about 10 minutes for our food. This allowed us to relax and enjoy an excellent meal without being rushed at all. The food was amazing. Extremely flavorful. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai meets VietnameseFourontourDined on 10/12/2014Great spot for a meal with friends or family. We even went back for the lunch menu a couple of days later our experience was that good. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceEricEZDined on 10/8/2014Title says it all. Went with my best friend and boyfriend for my boyfriend's birthday. Got the Pork belly, Pad Kee Mao, baby bokchoy, and the shrimp clay pot. It was all amazing. Left feeling so full and satisfied. The server was friendly and the service was great.Special Features:
- Zero Service SkillsErikDined on 10/6/2014Our order came out incorrectly or incomplete three times. It took our server 10 minutes to come to our table even though we tried to get his attention every time he walked past us. Would not recommend to anyone that wants to enjoy their dining experience.
- average food, service was slowcheezwhizDined on 9/30/2014The food was average, they ran out of one app, and the service was disorganized and slow. There are better choices in Hell's Kitchen for thai/malayasian and this place is overpriced to boot.
- Loud club music in dining areaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014I came with several friends for dinner on a Friday night. Food options on the menu were diverse; reasonable (i.e., not oversized) portions. At least a couple of the dishes (such as the clay pot catfish) were too sweet, but at least it seemed like they used good ingredients and prices were reasonable. Limited selection of white wines - esp. drier ones. Music was very loud in the bar area downstairs, and just loud enough upstairs to also be uncomfortable for talking over dinner. Service in taking our orders was slow, but it was a busy place and a Friday night, so it was somewhat expected.Special Features:
- Tasty near BroadwayEveZVIPDined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed our Asian dinner at Obao. Loved our appetizers, especially the skewered meat on sugar cane skewers. We had to ask to move tables as even with our reservation we were given a bad table upstairs when all window tables were available. Overall was nice but we weren't blown away by the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good eats before the show.EnjoyseatingoutDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant was a good find. Food was different and very tasty. the service was prompt, polite, not overwhelming. and, of course, location. the restaurant is right in the theatre distinct, accessible to all the shows.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are very busy!ymcebsVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went for lunch last Saturday. I didn't like the food that I received, so I told the waiter that I will take it home, and that I'd like to order another dish. After more than 30 minutes, we were told that since they are very busy, it will take another 10 minutes... I do not think that being very busy is an excuse for bad service. We paid and left, never to return!
- Ok food, service needs helpdiner1212Dined on 9/19/2014The food was ok, I had the clay pot shrimp with noodles which would have been really good if it was so over seasoned with pepper and salt. The service really needs help here. My group of 5 came here for lunch. It wasn't busy but it took over 30 mins after we ordered our drinks to get them, and this was only after we finally asked them where our drinks were. I think they forgot to make them (or put the order in), because the waiter ran away and in about 5-10 minutes we finally got our drinks. The food slowly came out, and I was the last person to get their food. Again, after 10 mins I asked where my food was, and the waiter ran away and immediately brought it to me. The food isn't good enough to make up for the service, I would not go back.
- delicious post broadway eatsjtineVIPDined on 9/13/2014probably the only restaurant in the area that won't charge you an arm and a leg for some mediocre meal. great selection of south east asian eats that are delicious and great for sharing. wine selection is good and cheap!Special Features:
- first failuretimeflies1VIPDined on 9/13/2014Have eaten here many times w/good results. Not this time.. My date ordered vegetables with verimicelli. Big bowl of pasta arrived with miniscule, minced unrecognizable vegetables. Item was returned. Ordered vegetables w/tofu & rice. Date said clearly she wanted it mild. What came was extremely spiced w/chillies. Waiter was willing to try again. No thanks. They offered to comp on drinks, desserts but we just asked to have her meal removed from bill. They gladly obliged. We enjoyed appetizer and my chicken massamon was fine.
- Good food and libations!ExperimentalfoodieDined on 9/13/2014Everything we ordered from Chef recommendations for Appetisers (Fried Calamari, Shrimp pepper and salt, Papaya Salad) were good - good portions, great flavors and nicely presented. The entrees were great too. The sea bass dishes truned out to be the entire fish (we should have checked) - was delicious though. The cocktails (sunray etc) were good. The only thing I would have liked to see different - 1. upstairs is much better, but the access is not clearly marked / lighted. 2. The host is not always there to greet you on your entering the place. The tables are set a little close together (though understandable at this price point etc). All in al a good experience and I will certainly go backSpecial Features:
- Nice new place on 9th AveBurrowMomDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food, great environment. Music was a little loud (but I'm a little past 30-something). Cocktails are fun too.Special Features:
- Flavorful fusion at the right priceyoungDined on 9/12/2014Food here is a mix of authentic vietnamese and western fusion (so it seems). It's really tasty and I think all the food is packed with flavor. The only knock-down is their shrimp roll appetizer which is basically 95% lettuce and 5% flavor/shrimp. What they lacked in their appetizer they made up for in the pho and vermicelli dishes. Service is great, ambiance is great and price is great.Special Features:
- Post-theatre diningthe2BsDined on 9/6/2014We found this restaurant convenient and food and service very good. The noise level is horrible and annoying with too loud music which made the wall next to us vibrate. Why do restaurants always have to have too loud music? The small place was filled and with everyone talking over the music, the overall feeling was overwhelmingly noisy. Decorations were Buddhas so they are looking to create a space of serenity but the noise totally ruins that. No matter where one eats, too loud music seems to be the trend. Chefs put their thoughts into creating delicious foods and Thai food is wonderful. Why ruin that with extraneous noise?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingpacnwgirlVIPDined on 8/26/2014Tucked away and a short walk from Time Square, Obao provides a great experience. From the food to the very attentive wait staff, this is a must return to location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backGSquareVIPDined on 8/25/2014A wonderful meal and really neat drinks......will go back.Special Features:
- Just okMak74Dined on 8/24/2014Was looking for good Thai food in NYC and chose Obao based on reviews. The atmosphere was pretty cool, but it was extremely loud. There appeared to be an upstairs, but we were seated downstairs. I had requested a quiet table, but I don't think at exists at this restaurant. All of the tables are extremely close together, so there is no such thing as a private conversation here. We had the spare ribs on sugar cane appetizer. It was very fatty... Best part was peanut sauce. My stand got the lobster pad Thai. The lobster was rubbery and made the dish very fishy, which usually doesn't happen with lobster dishes. I had a noodle dish with hanger steak and pineapples. The steak was really hard to chew, and the dish was just ok in flavor.
- Nice Pre-Theater DinnerTravelingCAGirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Obao has a nice pre-theater prix fixe dinner, and it was well worth very penny. The soup made quite an impression - it beautifully straddled the line between native and American heat. I could imagine happily eating bowls of this throughout the winter to come. The apple cake was also delicious. Service was very warm and welcoming. Loved all the bell-like decorations hanging from the ceiling - it made for a beautiful glow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lunch deal and serviceLSKAVIPDined on 8/23/2014Amazing lunch deal and service! Waters were always filled and we were left to linger and talk for as long as we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific FindSundayTribeDined on 8/17/2014Our party of 3 thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Pretty place. Fine service. Interesting menu. Will definitely return and recommend. Great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.Special Features:
- Reasonable prices, very tasty foodMichdollDined on 8/14/2014Pre-theater dinner reservations and it was totally worth it. Prices are great and the pork belly salad was a perfect balance of fatty, salty, sweet and tangy. Nice size for a $9 appetizer - very filling and enough to share. The beef pho was great (though I wished I also sprang for some meatballs) - nice broth and excellent flavor. The happy hour at the bar is a good one ($3 beers and inexpensive mixed drinks, house wine). The wings and pork chops were great, too. The upstairs was definitely more quiet. Nice, clean bathrooms and good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soLuvfoodDined on 8/13/2014Best part was the dessert. We had banana lumpia. Came out hot and delicious. I had beef short rib and the meat was on the tough side. The shrimp app was tasty but it was deep fried with the shell still on so it was a little tough to eat. Tried to eat with the shell on and with it off. It was crispy enough to eat with it on and tough to take the shell off. The pork app tasted like re-heated chinese crispy pork, not a good thing. My lunch mate enjoyed his summer noodle dish.
- So many good options: must go back!EatAndRunDined on 8/12/2014Extensive menu with many great-sounding options. Even with a group of four, we needed to leave some intriguing dishes for next time! Loved the kimchi fries and the duck noodles, especially.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLorenzoVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have dined here before. Had a great experience. For some reason it was "off" with this occasion. We were seated right away. However, service was slow once seated. Our wait person seemed distracted. We had to repeat our order more than once when placing it. Appetizers came out timely but the entree delivery was slow and one of the entrees didn't come out til we were done with all the others. We were having it family style. We were asked if there was anything else we wanted to order and so we did and then 30 minutes later they came out and said it was too late to make another entree as the kitchen was closing. Then why did they even bother to ask us in the first place? We brought our cousins here to impress them but it was a fail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceKathyDined on 8/8/2014Service from the hostesses and waiters were absolutely amazing, they are very kind and very attentive. I ordered the Seabass; I was personally not a big fan of the sweet sauce but that's just a personal thing, plus, my Seabass was drizzled lightly thankfully! Thank you to the staff for a wonderful night and dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food terrible serviceMrFoodie212Dined on 8/8/2014Sadly the wonderfully flavorful food was overpowered by the absurd service. 30 min for the app to arrive. Another 30 for te entrees one of two was wrong. I asked them to hold the correct one so that we can eat together. When they brought it out it was ridiculously cold. I would expect the opposite at least over heated from the heat lamp. The server tried to take away 1/2 full carafe of sake to sell another. When he comped something in the end he said "I want you to realize I went above and beyond" as he dropped the check. As someone that worked as a waiter for years, they need some serious training.Special Features:
- ReservationsJeffDined on 8/8/2014People with reservations should be sat upon arrival at their reserved time whether their entire party has arrived or not. Oboa's policy of not doing this is annoyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obao - The Best in New YorkPattiDined on 8/4/2014My friends and I were looking for a restaurant that would provide a special feeling for the evening; we were celebrating a special business occasion. We wanted something a little different (food choices were perfect - not heavy, delicious), wonderful atmosphere, excellent wait staff - can't say enough about how pleasant and helpful our waitress was. We weren't looking for a restaurant with good prices but we were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable everything was. Obao is a New York find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014While food was good and good value I was disappointed that there was no value for their participation in Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super friendly staff, amazing food!Lucas87Dined on 8/3/2014And great prices too! Would anybody ask for more? Most delicious noodles I've had in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good exotic food.OrelolivDined on 8/1/2014But very limited choice as soon as shrimps or fishs are concerned, as well as caries.Special Features:
- Ladies' NightbeckyzDined on 8/1/2014Really fun for a ladies' night out. Fun to taste everyone's entrees. My favorite was my friend's spice eggplant dish! Our waitress, Opal, was amazing and very helpful in making recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing new takes on classicseatWheniCanDined on 7/31/2014Went in for restaurant week. Three appetizers to choose from, two entrees, and two deserts. Tried the braised pork belly, crispy pad Thai, and banana spring rolls. Added kimchi fries and spicy calamari. The kimchi fries were easily the least favorite dish. It was an interesting take but fell a bit flat. Hard to decide which was the best... The pork belly was so succulent and flavorful & the spicy calamari was perfectly cooked, tender, and at a nice level of spice. The crispy pad thai was amazing. As sated as we were from the aps, we devoured the pad Thai. The noodles were a strange combination of crispy but tender and the veggies were perfectly cooked. We still made room for the banana spring roll desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceforcedtomakeanameDined on 7/27/2014I went here with my girlfriend for restaurant week, as we both love thai food. The appetizers were amazing- we got the pork belly and spare ribs and could have had a meal just of those two. The main courses were more average, and in particular, one never arrived! When one came and not the other, we assumed it would just be a minute, but they had actually forgotten. We finally flagged a waiter and got the order over 20-30 minutes later, however, they then did a similar thing with desert and forgot to bring it instead of the check! It was disappointed- the place had a lot of potential, but the service has me hesitant to bring either friends or my girlfriend there again.Special Features: