647 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.obaony.com/
- Phone: 2122458880x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11:30pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday-Saturday 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Ian Kittichai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For special events, please email Jennifer@obaony.com
A word from Obao
OBAO bridges the gap from the street of Southeast Asia to the streets of NYC, bringing you combinations of various Thai and Vietnamese comfort foods with a twist. OBAO takes traditional dishes from Thailand and Vietnam like Pad Thai and Pho Noodles and adds a touch of luxury and elegance without ever compromising on authenticity. At OBAO, you will taste the highest quality ingredients while experiencing comfort through food you never thought was possible.Continued
With the success of our Flagship restaurant in midtown and Water Street location, OBAO is proud to unveil its Hell's Kitchen location located on 9th avenue between 45th&46th.
With the success of our Flagship restaurant in midtown and Water Street location, OBAO is proud to unveil its Hell's Kitchen location located on 9th avenue between 45th&46th.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Obao reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (52)good for groups (37)great for lunch (27)hot spot (25)special occasion (21)romantic (20)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (15)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Tucked away and a short walk from Time Square, Obao provides a great experience. From the food to the very attentive wait staff, this is a must return to location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Was looking for good Thai food in NYC and chose Obao based on reviews. The atmosphere was pretty cool, but it was extremely loud. There appeared to be an upstairs, but we were seated downstairs. I had requested a quiet table, but I don't think at exists at this restaurant. All of the tables are extremely close together, so there is no such thing as a private conversation here. We had the spare ribs on sugar cane appetizer. It was very fatty... Best part was peanut sauce. My stand got the lobster pad Thai. The lobster was rubbery and made the dish very fishy, which usually doesn't happen with lobster dishes. I had a noodle dish with hanger steak and pineapples. The steak was really hard to chew, and the dish was just ok in flavor.
- Nice Pre-Theater DinnerTravelingCAGirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Obao has a nice pre-theater prix fixe dinner, and it was well worth very penny. The soup made quite an impression - it beautifully straddled the line between native and American heat. I could imagine happily eating bowls of this throughout the winter to come. The apple cake was also delicious. Service was very warm and welcoming. Loved all the bell-like decorations hanging from the ceiling - it made for a beautiful glow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lunch deal and serviceLSKADined on 8/23/2014Amazing lunch deal and service! Waters were always filled and we were left to linger and talk for as long as we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific FindSundayTribeDined on 8/17/2014Our party of 3 thoroughly enjoyed our meals. Pretty place. Fine service. Interesting menu. Will definitely return and recommend. Great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.Special Features:
- Reasonable prices, very tasty foodMichdollDined on 8/14/2014Pre-theater dinner reservations and it was totally worth it. Prices are great and the pork belly salad was a perfect balance of fatty, salty, sweet and tangy. Nice size for a $9 appetizer - very filling and enough to share. The beef pho was great (though I wished I also sprang for some meatballs) - nice broth and excellent flavor. The happy hour at the bar is a good one ($3 beers and inexpensive mixed drinks, house wine). The wings and pork chops were great, too. The upstairs was definitely more quiet. Nice, clean bathrooms and good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soLuvfoodDined on 8/13/2014Best part was the dessert. We had banana lumpia. Came out hot and delicious. I had beef short rib and the meat was on the tough side. The shrimp app was tasty but it was deep fried with the shell still on so it was a little tough to eat. Tried to eat with the shell on and with it off. It was crispy enough to eat with it on and tough to take the shell off. The pork app tasted like re-heated chinese crispy pork, not a good thing. My lunch mate enjoyed his summer noodle dish.
- So many good options: must go back!EatAndRunDined on 8/12/2014Extensive menu with many great-sounding options. Even with a group of four, we needed to leave some intriguing dishes for next time! Loved the kimchi fries and the duck noodles, especially.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLorenzoDined on 8/10/2014We have dined here before. Had a great experience. For some reason it was "off" with this occasion. We were seated right away. However, service was slow once seated. Our wait person seemed distracted. We had to repeat our order more than once when placing it. Appetizers came out timely but the entree delivery was slow and one of the entrees didn't come out til we were done with all the others. We were having it family style. We were asked if there was anything else we wanted to order and so we did and then 30 minutes later they came out and said it was too late to make another entree as the kitchen was closing. Then why did they even bother to ask us in the first place? We brought our cousins here to impress them but it was a fail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceKathyDined on 8/8/2014Service from the hostesses and waiters were absolutely amazing, they are very kind and very attentive. I ordered the Seabass; I was personally not a big fan of the sweet sauce but that's just a personal thing, plus, my Seabass was drizzled lightly thankfully! Thank you to the staff for a wonderful night and dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food terrible serviceMrFoodie212Dined on 8/8/2014Sadly the wonderfully flavorful food was overpowered by the absurd service. 30 min for the app to arrive. Another 30 for te entrees one of two was wrong. I asked them to hold the correct one so that we can eat together. When they brought it out it was ridiculously cold. I would expect the opposite at least over heated from the heat lamp. The server tried to take away 1/2 full carafe of sake to sell another. When he comped something in the end he said "I want you to realize I went above and beyond" as he dropped the check. As someone that worked as a waiter for years, they need some serious training.Special Features:
- ReservationsJeffDined on 8/8/2014People with reservations should be sat upon arrival at their reserved time whether their entire party has arrived or not. Oboa's policy of not doing this is annoyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obao - The Best in New YorkPattiDined on 8/4/2014My friends and I were looking for a restaurant that would provide a special feeling for the evening; we were celebrating a special business occasion. We wanted something a little different (food choices were perfect - not heavy, delicious), wonderful atmosphere, excellent wait staff - can't say enough about how pleasant and helpful our waitress was. We weren't looking for a restaurant with good prices but we were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable everything was. Obao is a New York find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014While food was good and good value I was disappointed that there was no value for their participation in Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super friendly staff, amazing food!Lucas87Dined on 8/3/2014And great prices too! Would anybody ask for more? Most delicious noodles I've had in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good exotic food.OrelolivDined on 8/1/2014But very limited choice as soon as shrimps or fishs are concerned, as well as caries.Special Features:
- Ladies' NightbeckyzDined on 8/1/2014Really fun for a ladies' night out. Fun to taste everyone's entrees. My favorite was my friend's spice eggplant dish! Our waitress, Opal, was amazing and very helpful in making recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing new takes on classicseatWheniCanDined on 7/31/2014Went in for restaurant week. Three appetizers to choose from, two entrees, and two deserts. Tried the braised pork belly, crispy pad Thai, and banana spring rolls. Added kimchi fries and spicy calamari. The kimchi fries were easily the least favorite dish. It was an interesting take but fell a bit flat. Hard to decide which was the best... The pork belly was so succulent and flavorful & the spicy calamari was perfectly cooked, tender, and at a nice level of spice. The crispy pad thai was amazing. As sated as we were from the aps, we devoured the pad Thai. The noodles were a strange combination of crispy but tender and the veggies were perfectly cooked. We still made room for the banana spring roll desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceforcedtomakeanameDined on 7/27/2014I went here with my girlfriend for restaurant week, as we both love thai food. The appetizers were amazing- we got the pork belly and spare ribs and could have had a meal just of those two. The main courses were more average, and in particular, one never arrived! When one came and not the other, we assumed it would just be a minute, but they had actually forgotten. We finally flagged a waiter and got the order over 20-30 minutes later, however, they then did a similar thing with desert and forgot to bring it instead of the check! It was disappointed- the place had a lot of potential, but the service has me hesitant to bring either friends or my girlfriend there again.Special Features:
- Delicious and affordableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I got their restaurant week lunch course. For apps, I got some sort of pork wrapped around a sugar cane skewer--absolutely fantastic! There was a touch of sauce on tender, well-seasoned meat, stretched thin around a soft sugar cane stem. Then, I got their duck curry for an entree. It was very good, but I don't think I'd order it again, considering the price. Dessert was bananas fried in a spring-roll like wrapper and paired with ice cream. This was ok. Again, not something I'd order again. For $25, this wasn't really a great deal--especially when their lunch specials include a whole bowl of pho for $8! (which my table buddy got--SO FREAKING GOOD) Come here, but get their lunch special instead--and make sure someone at the table orders pho!Special Features:
- Great ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/23/2014We went for restaurant week. The calamari and padthai was amazing. Drinks were great, but the noise level coming from next door was a little distracting. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Great flavoursOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014The appetisers were delicous. Entrees were hearty and tasty. We had the coconut ice creams and fried bananas for desserts which was refreshing.Special Features:
- One of my favorites..Thai Tasty!NeeceD77VIPDined on 7/18/2014Love Thai food in general. However, Obao brings something different to the experience. It's a nice two level restaurant with a vibrant (albeit- small bar scene)...an almost hiddne like 2nd floor with dining and a beautiful shiny sparkling cieling...the decor, ambience, food and service are ON Point! One of my favorites. I've already been 3 times and i'll be back again.. it's also close to my job so a great place to try for lunch or after work cocktails. I'm speaking of the location in Midtown in the 40'sSpecial Features:
- Good neighborhood findMaggieNYCVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great food, great service - particularly pre-theatre. The wine was good, and at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeppDined on 7/12/2014I went to the hells kitchen location with a group. Open table showed no availability for a party 6+. However, I tried calling the restaurant multiple times but no one picked up. I work in the area so I stopped by during lunch and they increased the number in my party. The day of, they had plenty of empty tables which could hold more than 6 people. The spare rib on sugarcane skewer was overrated. It was an extremely thin slice of meat and the sugarcane was basically dry. The chicken curry dip was awesome! No one in the group enjoyed their pad thai. The beef luclak and lemongrass short ribs were pretty good. I will probably try their lunch special. It looks like a cool vibe downstairs near the bar area. There are 2 floors.Special Features:
- Great findSonnyDined on 7/12/2014Looked for online bookable restaurants not far from the theatre we were going to that evening. Found this place. Great food, nice atmosphere, capable servers, price ok. Can definitely recommend. For vegetarians as well. Our daughter is very picky but she liked it there. Would go there again.Special Features:
- Our new favorite Asian restaurantarcher5852Dined on 7/12/2014We discovered this gem a couple of months ago on a rainy day in the theater district. We were pleasantly surprised on the quality and authenticity of the food. We were back this weekend with friends and were not disappointed. The bar drinks are inventive. The food is high quality and plentiful.Special Features:
- Convenient and congenialPhilip002Dined on 7/11/2014Pleasant little restaurant with imaginative dishes that are still affordable considering how close this place is to Theater District. I take guests from time to time, and always positive comments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a driving beatlovegoodfoodDined on 6/28/2014We ate at Obao on 6/28/14. We had a reservation, but the hostess was curt. Once we were seated, things improved. The food was very good-- great flavors good options for the vegetarian in our group. Service was good. Background music was energetic, but had a pulsing beat that did not stop, as if the soundtrack was on a continuous loop, and we had to shout above it. Nothing relaxing about dining here, but the food was good enough that we would go back, just not with more than one person, because it was easier to talk to the person next to us than it was to talk with the person across the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre theater Thaievrgreen1VIPDined on 6/27/2014Fab appetizers, easy to share. Great wait staff. Fun ambiance. Downstairs is a lively bar scene--upstairs easier for conversation. Have the ribs on sugar cane and salt and pepper shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the spare ribs on sugar cane!EaterMamaDined on 6/27/2014The rest of the meal was not as exciting, but decent solid fare. We ordered one meal off the prix fixe, so we had summer rolls, red curry crispy duck, and really unappetizing panna cotta. I ordered the sea bass, which was buttery and yummy, but kind of small for the price. And also ordered the Figatini, not bad. But the restaurant has a great interior, and the service was nice.Special Features:
- NICE THAI FOOD IN HELL'S KITCHEN1KTravelerVIPDined on 6/23/2014I started with the Tom Yum Gai soup, and was surprised by the large portion. It was tasty and flavorful. The main course of the traditional Pad Ka Prow with fried tofu was also very good. The fried tofu was a bit overdone, but the rest of the dish, including vegetables and broth were delicious. Service and reception were friendly and attentive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ObaoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Great ambience with FIFA World Cup!!! Wonderful food with great service. Had a great time with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theater gemGaryVIPDined on 6/20/2014This little Thai restaurant is great for pre-theater. The food is very tasty and light, so you won't fall asleep during the play; and the prices are very reasonable so you can afford the theater tickets. Even without the theater this is a great place for an informal meal at any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMitchSVIPDined on 6/14/2014Had the opportunity this past weekend to visit OBAO. We found them while looking for dining spot before the theater. The food was outstanding, the service attentive and prompt, without being fawning. We had several great entres and apps and loved the restuarant. My only regret is that we did not get to eat upstairs, it looks like a wonderful spot. KUDOS to the kitchen and the front of the house on food and service well done.Special Features:
- Too many servers spoiled the moodGramercyCatDined on 6/13/2014Dinner started off really good. The food came at a good pace, the recommendations were spot on, but the caveat was when the meal was ending. There were too many servers wanting to fill our water glass, trying to take away our dishes that we were still working on and basically hovering over us. Overall, we would definitely go back, the food was pretty good and other than the annoyance at the end, the meal was very enjoyable.Special Features:
- ImpressedchocolateprincessDined on 6/12/2014I was impressed with ambience. Once my order was placed, the food arrived within minutes and was very tasty. I was disappointed with the pineapple juice at the bar, found a strand of hair in it and the hostess was not clear in telling us what drinks were included for happy hour at our table. I found the food to be good value for the money.Special Features:
- Great Lunch ExperienceCarolynVIPDined on 6/10/2014Obao may get crowded at night, but I was there after the lunch rush. Food was delicious, and the restaurant is much more spacious and comfortable than it appears from the outside. On of the best value-for-expense meals I had on this trip to NYC.Special Features:
- GreatcjzsDined on 6/4/2014Stopped in with a few friends for lunch and it is really a cute place inside. The lunch special menu had a lot of interesting options. The service as very fast, and I would go back when I'm craving Thai food.Special Features:
- Have some food fun!virgosister823Dined on 6/3/2014Everything I expect from a restaurant was exceeded beyond my expectations. Attentive staff, great appetizers, delicious entrees, the beautiful ambiance, close to the theater district, reasonably priced. I love Thai, so this is my spot. Make it yours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.