647 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.obaony.com/
- Phone: (212) 245-8880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday 11:30pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday-Saturday 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Ian Kittichai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For special events, please email Jennifer@obaony.com
A word from Obao
OBAO bridges the gap from the street of Southeast Asia to the streets of NYC, bringing you combinations of various Thai and Vietnamese comfort foods with a twist. OBAO takes traditional dishes from Thailand and Vietnam like Pad Thai and Pho Noodles and adds a touch of luxury and elegance without ever compromising on authenticity. At OBAO, you will taste the highest quality ingredients while experiencing comfort through food you never thought was possible.Continued
With the success of our Flagship restaurant in midtown and Water Street location, OBAO is proud to unveil its Hell's Kitchen location located on 9th avenue between 45th&46th.
With the success of our Flagship restaurant in midtown and Water Street location, OBAO is proud to unveil its Hell's Kitchen location located on 9th avenue between 45th&46th.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Obao reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (41)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (21)great for lunch (19)special occasion (15)romantic (14)late-night find (10)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- jordon50VIPDined on 11/22/2014Food is great. VERY noisy and a bit claustrophobic on the ground floor. Ask for a table upstairs by the window.
- excellent happy hour and beyond!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/19/2014All of the food and apps are amazing ! They have great happy hour daily from 4-8 at the bar. $3 beers, $5 and $8 cocktails :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in a popular night spotphebsterDined on 11/14/2014We arrived late because of Friday night traffic but we still had to wait for our table. They didn't want to rush people who had already paid their check. Staff did speak with us frequently about the status of our table. Our food was good and well prepared especially the sea food dishes. The calamari was exceptional. The fried rice was good and different with big pieces of veggies rather than pieces that are so small you don't know they are part of the dish. I thought the tofu was fired a bit too much but it was still good. We wanted to order lots of appetizers, wait to order our entrees so we could relax and talk. We were told that the entrees would be delayed. They weren't and so the entrees had to be sent back. When we got our entrees they were cooler than we wanted but still very good. We had to ask for serving spoons for the dishes we were sharing but what we got were soup spoons after a long wait. It was nice to sit up on the second floor and be able to look out onto the street. The second floor was quietier and after 8 p.m. the noise level did reduce. I would love to go back to try more dishes when it is quietier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but it does get loudJmclDined on 11/8/2014The food was really good! My husband eats almost every day at the FiDi location. We had 8 people eating and everyone was satisfied. It was a little hard to get the waiters attention, even to order our food! And at around 9 the music got really loud upstairs which made us order the check and leave. But everyone was very nice and the decorations were very cool. Great food and good ambiance, overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findMarniejeanDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant was unknown to me but what a lovely find. The food was excellent with big portions, easy to share. There is a wide price range also. Reservations a musts which we did through open table an hour before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of communicationJohnnyDined on 11/3/2014Service was rather slow. One of my guest in the party ordered a beer and the Server forgot about it after being reminded numerous times. We had a guest join our table during dinner - asked for a menu but was never brought out. We asked for the check 3 times before the Server finally realized that we never received our check - and this is when the server brought out the menu that we asked for prior to asking for the check. More communication needed amongst staff. Bartender was friendly. Ambiance was nice. Would give this place a try again, but will probably sit at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Poor serviceBayAreaVIPDined on 11/2/2014The food was well prepared and nicely presented. The person who took the order and provided the service was clearly not interested in doing his work, one of the worse service experiences we had in a restaurant >(
- Amazing food, rude hostessesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Didn't know there was a $25/person minimum if there are more than 10 people. There was no mention on their website, in the email confirmation, or on the phone call when I called to confirm my reservation. 2 days before the date they told me everyone had to spend at least $25/person or do the prefix menu. The hostesses were rude. The food and ambiance were amazing though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014Great restaurant for pre-theater. Quick service. Love the sugar cane spareribs. Huge portions and fun drinks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So ThaieconoinkerVIPDined on 10/26/2014Some of the dishes were good (pad Thai ), but others were mediocre at best (fried tofu ). It's easy to find better Thai food at comparable prices in NYC.
- Decent Thai foodRae5Dined on 10/25/2014Good food. Massive main course portions. Great buzzy atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Placeideal123Dined on 10/25/2014We loved the place. The Kimchi fries rock. Portion size is generous which is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendKennethDined on 10/24/2014My only criticism would be noise level. Voices of other diners easily carry so turn music down. Service is great and everyone very attentive. Food is superior.Special Features:
- Obao ReviewFPdineoutDined on 10/24/2014Obao is a great restaurant. Everything I have eaten there is amazing. You must get the sugar cane ribs. The beef is phenomenal. The clay-pot shrimp is to die for. Such great food and so reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Delicious noodle soupMargeatsoutDined on 10/20/2014I enjoyed the great big bowl of soup with rice noodles, chicken and other goodies. My friend had the soup with a coconut milk base. That was tasty too. The service was pleasant and the ambiance lively but not overbearing. Very pleasant decor, especially the lanterns. I am looking forward to a return visit...soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellentDinernatorDined on 10/19/2014Had a great time with my entire family. The food was exceptional and everyone in my party enjoyed themselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Viet Namese!AnonymousDined on 10/18/2014Finally - a great place for Viet Namese food! Hip bar, clean, tables not crowded together - and the food is GREAT! Went here with kids, ordered 2 spare ribs on sugar cane and had to order a third because the kids were fighting over them. Chicken satay, summer roll, and kimchee french fries were equally yummy. For entrees, we got the pork chops, curry chicken, coconut rice, fried sticky rice with pork and beef luclak - all excellent and satisfied our Viet Namese craving. Waiter was patient and attentive. Special mojito-like drink also fab (and strong!). And who thought dessert would be so fantastic? Panna cotta was perfect - not too sweet, not too thick and the sorbet was bracingly refreshing (again not too sweet).Special Features:
- Thai Food at Its FinestFeshDined on 10/17/2014The energetic atmosphere at Obao is obviously the first thing you notice about it. It starts the night off right and compliments the delicious food and good service perfectly.Special Features:
- A Great Substitute for QueensbrklynDined on 10/17/2014If you can't go to Queens and have a craving for Thai/Vietnamese dishes, then Obao is the perfect place to satisfy that hunger.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Find!!sdubbyaDined on 10/17/2014We went to Obao last night before a show. We were about 15 mins late due to traffic and were cutting it close to make it to our show. We let our waiter Ryan know that we were going to a show and he managed to get our food out very very fast. I think we waited about 10 minutes for our food. This allowed us to relax and enjoy an excellent meal without being rushed at all. The food was amazing. Extremely flavorful. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai meets VietnameseFourontourDined on 10/12/2014Great spot for a meal with friends or family. We even went back for the lunch menu a couple of days later our experience was that good. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceEricEZDined on 10/8/2014Title says it all. Went with my best friend and boyfriend for my boyfriend's birthday. Got the Pork belly, Pad Kee Mao, baby bokchoy, and the shrimp clay pot. It was all amazing. Left feeling so full and satisfied. The server was friendly and the service was great.Special Features:
- Zero Service SkillsErikDined on 10/6/2014Our order came out incorrectly or incomplete three times. It took our server 10 minutes to come to our table even though we tried to get his attention every time he walked past us. Would not recommend to anyone that wants to enjoy their dining experience.
- average food, service was slowcheezwhizDined on 9/30/2014The food was average, they ran out of one app, and the service was disorganized and slow. There are better choices in Hell's Kitchen for thai/malayasian and this place is overpriced to boot.
- Loud club music in dining areaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014I came with several friends for dinner on a Friday night. Food options on the menu were diverse; reasonable (i.e., not oversized) portions. At least a couple of the dishes (such as the clay pot catfish) were too sweet, but at least it seemed like they used good ingredients and prices were reasonable. Limited selection of white wines - esp. drier ones. Music was very loud in the bar area downstairs, and just loud enough upstairs to also be uncomfortable for talking over dinner. Service in taking our orders was slow, but it was a busy place and a Friday night, so it was somewhat expected.Special Features:
- Tasty near BroadwayEveZVIPDined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed our Asian dinner at Obao. Loved our appetizers, especially the skewered meat on sugar cane skewers. We had to ask to move tables as even with our reservation we were given a bad table upstairs when all window tables were available. Overall was nice but we weren't blown away by the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good eats before the show.EnjoyseatingoutDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant was a good find. Food was different and very tasty. the service was prompt, polite, not overwhelming. and, of course, location. the restaurant is right in the theatre distinct, accessible to all the shows.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are very busy!ymcebsVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went for lunch last Saturday. I didn't like the food that I received, so I told the waiter that I will take it home, and that I'd like to order another dish. After more than 30 minutes, we were told that since they are very busy, it will take another 10 minutes... I do not think that being very busy is an excuse for bad service. We paid and left, never to return!
- Ok food, service needs helpdiner1212Dined on 9/19/2014The food was ok, I had the clay pot shrimp with noodles which would have been really good if it was so over seasoned with pepper and salt. The service really needs help here. My group of 5 came here for lunch. It wasn't busy but it took over 30 mins after we ordered our drinks to get them, and this was only after we finally asked them where our drinks were. I think they forgot to make them (or put the order in), because the waiter ran away and in about 5-10 minutes we finally got our drinks. The food slowly came out, and I was the last person to get their food. Again, after 10 mins I asked where my food was, and the waiter ran away and immediately brought it to me. The food isn't good enough to make up for the service, I would not go back.
- delicious post broadway eatsjtineVIPDined on 9/13/2014probably the only restaurant in the area that won't charge you an arm and a leg for some mediocre meal. great selection of south east asian eats that are delicious and great for sharing. wine selection is good and cheap!Special Features:
- first failuretimeflies1VIPDined on 9/13/2014Have eaten here many times w/good results. Not this time.. My date ordered vegetables with verimicelli. Big bowl of pasta arrived with miniscule, minced unrecognizable vegetables. Item was returned. Ordered vegetables w/tofu & rice. Date said clearly she wanted it mild. What came was extremely spiced w/chillies. Waiter was willing to try again. No thanks. They offered to comp on drinks, desserts but we just asked to have her meal removed from bill. They gladly obliged. We enjoyed appetizer and my chicken massamon was fine.
- Good food and libations!ExperimentalfoodieDined on 9/13/2014Everything we ordered from Chef recommendations for Appetisers (Fried Calamari, Shrimp pepper and salt, Papaya Salad) were good - good portions, great flavors and nicely presented. The entrees were great too. The sea bass dishes truned out to be the entire fish (we should have checked) - was delicious though. The cocktails (sunray etc) were good. The only thing I would have liked to see different - 1. upstairs is much better, but the access is not clearly marked / lighted. 2. The host is not always there to greet you on your entering the place. The tables are set a little close together (though understandable at this price point etc). All in al a good experience and I will certainly go backSpecial Features:
- Nice new place on 9th AveBurrowMomDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic food, great environment. Music was a little loud (but I'm a little past 30-something). Cocktails are fun too.Special Features:
- Flavorful fusion at the right priceyoungDined on 9/12/2014Food here is a mix of authentic vietnamese and western fusion (so it seems). It's really tasty and I think all the food is packed with flavor. The only knock-down is their shrimp roll appetizer which is basically 95% lettuce and 5% flavor/shrimp. What they lacked in their appetizer they made up for in the pho and vermicelli dishes. Service is great, ambiance is great and price is great.Special Features:
- Post-theatre diningthe2BsDined on 9/6/2014We found this restaurant convenient and food and service very good. The noise level is horrible and annoying with too loud music which made the wall next to us vibrate. Why do restaurants always have to have too loud music? The small place was filled and with everyone talking over the music, the overall feeling was overwhelmingly noisy. Decorations were Buddhas so they are looking to create a space of serenity but the noise totally ruins that. No matter where one eats, too loud music seems to be the trend. Chefs put their thoughts into creating delicious foods and Thai food is wonderful. Why ruin that with extraneous noise?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingpacnwgirlVIPDined on 8/26/2014Tucked away and a short walk from Time Square, Obao provides a great experience. From the food to the very attentive wait staff, this is a must return to location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backGSquareVIPDined on 8/25/2014A wonderful meal and really neat drinks......will go back.Special Features:
- Just okMak74Dined on 8/24/2014Was looking for good Thai food in NYC and chose Obao based on reviews. The atmosphere was pretty cool, but it was extremely loud. There appeared to be an upstairs, but we were seated downstairs. I had requested a quiet table, but I don't think at exists at this restaurant. All of the tables are extremely close together, so there is no such thing as a private conversation here. We had the spare ribs on sugar cane appetizer. It was very fatty... Best part was peanut sauce. My stand got the lobster pad Thai. The lobster was rubbery and made the dish very fishy, which usually doesn't happen with lobster dishes. I had a noodle dish with hanger steak and pineapples. The steak was really hard to chew, and the dish was just ok in flavor.
- Nice Pre-Theater DinnerTravelingCAGirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Obao has a nice pre-theater prix fixe dinner, and it was well worth very penny. The soup made quite an impression - it beautifully straddled the line between native and American heat. I could imagine happily eating bowls of this throughout the winter to come. The apple cake was also delicious. Service was very warm and welcoming. Loved all the bell-like decorations hanging from the ceiling - it made for a beautiful glow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lunch deal and serviceLSKAVIPDined on 8/23/2014Amazing lunch deal and service! Waters were always filled and we were left to linger and talk for as long as we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.