555 NW 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.obarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5032286161
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Tuesday 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wednesday-Thursday 5:00pm-9:30pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Latin American, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scott Neuman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call Oba's Event Coordinator, Galit Reilly 503.750.7675, for details.
A word from Oba
Located in the heart of the Pearl District, ¡Oba! Restaurante is known for its lively atmosphere, hand-crafted cocktails and award-winning Nuevo Latino cuisine. ¡Oba!’s menu is where bold Latin traditions, spices and preparations meet seasonal, local ingredients. ¡Oba!’s inventive cuisine, stunning design, award-winning wine list and commitment to excellent guest service have sustained a solid following and 15 successful years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Oba reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (80)romantic (62)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (52)vibrant bar scene (47)hot spot (29)great for outdoor dining (28)notable wine list (28)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Consistently Solid ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014This is a great "goto" restaurant. Restaurants in the Pearl come and go, but Oba is a mainstay. Consistency in the food, cleanliness, and service is the key.Special Features:
- First time not the best steakfrack77Dined on 9/24/2014Everyone deserves an off night, My $36 steak was at best something even my friend didn't want to finish her first bite. They came thru with another kind of steak and it was perfect, but I am eating after everyone else is finished...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MardaDined on 9/20/2014We happened upon this restaurant during our stay in Portland and decided to try it. The food was very good and the service was not bad overall; however I was a bit turned off by our waiter towards the end of the meal. I was dining with one other person and she had already finished her plate. As I was still working on mine (and not eating at slow pace either), he walked up to give each of us the dessert menu, despite the fact that I was still eating. I found that to be very stressful and took away from my enjoying the rest of my meal. Perhaps it was just an off-night or moment for our waiter, but it made me feel very unwelcome indeed. The food was nice, but I would have to think about going there again because of this.Special Features:
- FarruggiaFarruggiaDined on 9/20/2014This is a fantastic restaurant. My wife and I visit at least two times a year and she selects this for her birthday every year. The selections are amazing and the flavors explode in your month. Incredible food experience for the price. One of our favorites and that is saying something considering the great restaurants in Portlande.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our dining experience at Oba!soccermom10Dined on 9/13/2014My boyfriend and I were visiting from the San Francisco Bay area and were looking for a restaurant with outdoor seating and excellent food! We found both at "Oba's". We chose to have drinks (sangria and marionberry margaritas) and a variety of tapas. Our waitress made some suggestions that were wonderful! My dining experience rating is based on sitting outdoors. Portland was having a heat wave; therefore, sitting outside was awesome! We enjoy quiet where we can have good conversation and outside was perfect! After dinner we went inside to see what it was like and found it extremely noisy. That wouldn't have been as nice for us; however, the younger set probably would love it and say it was full of energy. Highly recommend Oba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas MealsoccerdoodmanVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a meal of the Tapas appetizers and salads along with fresh mojitos...very tasty. Baked Argentina for dessert was quite good.Special Features:
- nomnom716Dined on 9/9/2014The conversation was so good that I barely remembered the food lol. It wasn't bad that's for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table-side GuacamolebeentheredonethatDined on 9/7/2014You must have the guacamole! It is made right at your table. I could have it as my entree!Special Features:
- So delicious!PickyEaterDined on 9/6/2014I have nothing but good things to say about Oba. The service was impeccable despite it being a busy Saturday night and the food was unsurpassable! Chef Neumann is a food genius! Love this place and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was nice...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014Pros: fast, friendly staff and service, good happy hour menu, nice atmosphere, not too loud, table side guacamole, fish tacos. Cons: octopus might not be octopus but either way it wasn't that good, coconut shrimp are tasty but predictable and generic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, Celiac-friendly too!CeliacdinerDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Oba. The tableside guacamole was the best I've ever had. We both had the special, which was delicious, and the service was excellent. I was especially impressed with the gluten-free options since I have Celiac disease - they have a separate printed menu displaying the gluten-free choices, as well as listings for other allergens. Delicious food, lovely environment, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentlushlifeDined on 9/4/2014Delicious food. Outstanding service. Always a solid dining experience.
- wisetravelerDined on 9/1/2014Excellent fish tacos and tasty margaritas - a real change from the run of the mill bar fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic gemnwphilDined on 8/30/2014Once again, Oba did not disapointed us. From the well mixed cocktails at the bar, to the final piece-of-resistance: deset, the whole palat experience was delightfull and as expected for this restaurant high level. Was nice to see their classic steak a la micalese, but they keep on renovating other choices offering something inovatiing and above all, very tasting, well presented and served. The service was always is top notch, and having now you own bottle of water at the table. it's a nice small touch. A final word of thanks for the hostess, that was able to accomodate us so wellSpecial Features:
- Food/serviceSugarjetsDined on 8/27/2014Paella very good/shrimp fried rice too, too salty/too noisy/service slow
- Fabulous and diet friendly.PDXfoodieDined on 8/26/2014I love Oba! Service is always superb. Our waiter was great tin suggesting and supporting our ordering and was diligent in following up to insure that we were happy and satisfied with what was then delivered to our table. I have dietary concerns and Oba always is able and willing to adjust to accommodate my needs. I always recommend this as a "go to" favorite and am never disappointed with the dinner that I receive.Special Features:
- Dinner at Oba 8/23/14BirthdayCelebratorsDined on 8/23/2014I took my daughter to dinner on 8/23 at Oba for her birthday. The last time we were there together was several years ago. This time we shared several tapas - the waiter was very helpful answering our questions about the portion sizes and descriptions of the items as we were ordering. He was attentive, but not intrusive. - very pleasant. My other daughter called from out of town and ordered dessert for her sister's birthday. Again, our waiter was attentive, pleasant and cheerful and dessert was wonderful. The food was excellent. We had coconut prawns, salad, bacon wrapped peppers, crab cakes and empanadas. All were lovely.Special Features:
- Fun placeNWGuyDined on 8/22/2014This is a fun place to go with really good Latin influenced food and great margaritas. Good for groups or just two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-theatre dinnerdramaDined on 8/18/2014Oba was the perfect spot to dine with friends before the theatre. We were served quickly and the food was very good. I think we will go back again.Special Features:
- Always fantastic Tapas and MojitoswfsiiiDined on 8/15/2014We love to entertain friends and family with a meal or tapas at Oba! Your Mojitos are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.LoulouthiaDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a first-time visit to Oba and were very pleased. The decor is sophisticated yet comfortable, the wait staff (especially our waitress) was friendly and professional, and the food was superb. The caesar salad was a delicious variation of the classic, and my heirloom tomato salad was delicious as well as visually delightful. The salmon was perfectly done and the accompanying coconut rice and vegetables were great. My husband's beef was also cooked exactly to his standard of medium-rare and was extremely delicious. We had flan and chocolate semifreddo for dessert and were delighted with both. This meal was one of the best we've had (including in Philadelphia and New York).Special Features:
- Everything was amazingMareDined on 8/14/2014The cod and salmon were cooked perfectly; tableside guac is the best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and funNormandoDined on 8/11/2014I've always enjoyed Oba. It has a creative and broad ranging menu, covering all of the Latin American cuisines. We've always had fun in this lively and energetic environment.Special Features:
- Good in the PearlgourmandrewVIPDined on 8/10/2014It's just good. Not great, not mediocre. Still one of the few places in the Pearl to return time and time again for consistent food.
- Lovely staff, great experiencesimonepdxDined on 8/10/2014Appetizers, like the amazing guacamole, and beef entrees are the strong points here, but the real stars are the serving staff, who are so pleasant, informative, fun, and helpful. Even a kitchen misstep was corrected graciously. Also, they have a great wine list, and the cocktails are very well made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerRosall81Dined on 8/9/2014We wanted to try a place we had not been so picked oba and we were not disappointed. I was a bit surprised by the cost of the meal but it was definitely delicious food and we will be coming back. Just with better expectation on entree prices. Our server was excellent and gave us great recommendations on the menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food....butAvbduffyDined on 8/8/2014Food was great, drinks were ok. Service was not great our server was not friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of FunNWGuyDined on 8/8/2014This restaurant has it all - location, good service and great food. It is lively without being raucous. Wonderful variety of Latin based food and good margaritas! Just a great place to have dinnerSpecial Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014I've been here once before with my husband and we had a wonderful experience. This time I took my mom and it was just as fabulous. The food is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smashingly goodchanote44Dined on 8/2/2014I loved everything about Oba. This place rocks and doesn't stop till you leave. All the food was excellent, our server was knowledgeable and friendly and the drinks were great.Special Features:
- All-around good restaurantvictorbDined on 8/1/2014Five of us ate dinner here: grandparents, parents, and grand-daughter. All were pleased and satisfied by the shared small plates, the cheerful service, and the reasonable prices. The food is imaginative without being precious, and the drinks - sangria and mojitos on a hot evening - were considerably above average.Special Features:
- Not Bad, But Not GreatfrancophonefoodieDined on 7/29/2014Oba has a great Happy Hour in the bar, and their dining area in the back is quite lovely. We enjoyed the tall booths, color scheme, and lighting. There was a really loud, large group at the other end of the dining room that stayed loud for the entire time they were there, which was quite distracting. The appetizers, Queso Fundido, and the Colombian Empanadas, were tasty. The beet salad and butter lettuce salads were also good. I ordered the beef ancho, and was disappointed at the toughness of the meat. It was not worth the $38 we paid for it. My friend had the mahi mahi crusted with macadamian nuts, which he enjoyed. For dessert, we had the chocolate semifreddo and creme brulee, which were tasty.Special Features:
- Happy Hour ReviewRedLaRouxDined on 7/29/2014Oba wasn't bad! It also wasn't super great. It has a good crowd of people, but I felt like the staff and food were sub-par. Also, it was sunny and gorgeous out, and the outdoor seating was closed, which makes zero sense. My nachos were delivered cold and kind of aged, like they had been sitting out for a really long time. Also, the guacamole is $18, which I find a little silly. Service was really slow, but they were also very busy - maybe they were short staffed? I'll give it another try, but I'm not impressed quite yet!Special Features:
- Portland's Best-Kept Secret?Luv2dinepdxDined on 7/28/2014We chose Oba from Open Table after searching for Seafood in the Pearl. Oba was the only return! So while bar-hopping before dinner, we asked what people thought. No one we encountered in the immediate neighborhood had heard of the place. Which worried me. But fear not, we enjoyed our meal. Thought the food was excellent. A complete and satisfying meal was had from the tapas/pinxos menu, washed down with a pitcher of delicious mojitos. It would appear that an "Industry Night" for the neighborhood is in order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!monthlyvisitorDined on 7/26/2014As always, Oba was a great date night destination. The Ahi was perfect, the dairy free quesadilla was perfect, the mango salsa was amazing and our overall experience was perfect. Not to loud, but busy. Great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate at OBABoomerDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated our 15 year anniversary at OBA. As usual the food was great, and the outside seating was very nice. We ordered a Swordfish dish and a flank steak dish; both were prepared perfectly with perfect portions. OBA is one of our favorite places to celebrate special occasions or just have a great meal. We love the uniqueness of the menu, the atmosphere and the location. We highly recommend OBA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good.jdreganDined on 7/26/2014Our dinner group met here and were pleasantly surprised how good the food was. I would return to try other dishes. The atmosphere was lively. The only complaint we had was the noise level -- it was quite loud and difficult for us to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BritTexFoodieDined on 7/23/2014Great spot for foodies that are also want GF or Vegetarian fare. Many items on the regular menu can also be made GF which is great sign of flexibility by the chefs. The wine list is not huge but it's easy to find good matches for the food. A definite recommendation an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Two people, one entree, three smaller tapas type dishes-- lots of delicious foods. Recommended eating.Special Features:
- Excellent menunibblesDined on 7/22/2014Exquisitely prepared food. Excellent service. And the menu has something for everyone ... vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. When I go out to eat, I want healthful choices - I want to feel good when I leave. There were, indeed, many healthful items to choose from!Special Features: