555 NW 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.obarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (503) 228-6161
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Tuesday 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wednesday-Thursday 5:00pm-9:30pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Latin American, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scott Neuman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call Oba's Event Coordinator, Galit Reilly 503.750.7675, for details.
A word from Oba
Located in the heart of the Pearl District, ¡Oba! Restaurante is known for its lively atmosphere, hand-crafted cocktails and award-winning Nuevo Latino cuisine. ¡Oba!’s menu is where bold Latin traditions, spices and preparations meet seasonal, local ingredients. ¡Oba!’s inventive cuisine, stunning design, award-winning wine list and commitment to excellent guest service have sustained a solid following and 15 successful years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Oba reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (74)romantic (56)good for groups (52)neighborhood gem (44)vibrant bar scene (40)hot spot (36)notable wine list (31)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Great food and great service, our waitress was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I'm so glad I was able to take my friends to Oba this weekend. The food, drinks and service left very little to be desired. Now my favorite is one of theirs as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food at obaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014I think the food is great. I made a reservation for 4. We were celebrating an anniversary and a birthday. It would have been nice to be on quieter nicer sida of restaurant instead of bar area. I should have told them. Food was great and we did have a nice view of street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/21/2014WE WOULD NOT RETURN..VERY POOR..FOOD BELOW AVERAGE, PORTIONS EXTREMELY SMALL...NOT PREPARED AS REQUESTED;;;;3 COUPLES WENT HERE FOR A SPECIAL EVENT...ALL SET AT THEIR OWN TABLES...O YOU NEED DO ALOT OF WORK TO BE COMPETITIVE IN THE PEARL DISTRICT
- Perfect evening, perfect meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014Our one night out during a recent visit to Portland was exceptional thanks to our choice of this restaurant. The atmosphere is very "hip," and our server, Ryan, was enthusiastic and welcoming without being overhearing. The wine list was extensive and we were pleased with our choice. My partner had the tamales, which he would have enjoyed more without the mole sauce--just a personal preference of his. I had a bite and thought it was absolutely delicious. My choice--the enchiladas de calabaza. OUTSTANDING! A complex mix of flavors and spices...with a definite kick! I did everything but lick the plate clean! After dinner, we each had hot coffee desert drinks, prepared to perfection. This was an outstanding evening out--highly recommend Oba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TapasMackDined on 11/15/2014Went to Oba for the first time. Our main plates were very good but the stars of the show were the tapas. Next time we are just doing all tapas. Great place to bring in friends and share several tapas or doing the same on date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014We had a great time sharing tapas and some entrees. If you want to have conversation, try to grab a booth, otherwise you get lost in the noise in the center of the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014-- great food, great service, great fun! We got there to celebrate a birthday at 5:45 and wanted to start with the happy hour menu. They let us start in the bar and held our table for when we were ready for dinner. Super accommodating, and of course the food was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A TreatRMO711Dined on 11/9/2014Oba is a lovely restaurant with delicious food and drinks. We have been there twice - this last time taking my parents with us - and each time had a spectacular dinner. It's been a treat to dine there.Special Features:
- PortlandPortlandDined on 11/7/2014Amazing food, wonderful margaritas, attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!terryrDined on 10/31/2014Oba is usually almost too noisy sometimes, but being Halloween, it was really perfect in terms of noise level. The food was superb--everything from the crab cakes to the prawn special to the Caesar salad to the desserts were absolutely spot on. I really love this place for its consistency--great food, really good service (our waiter helped recommend things all along the way and was right every time) and a beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:
- delicious tapas menutransplantedinwausauDined on 10/29/2014I went here with a work group and shared many of the tapas. Our server was amazing, so helpful and friendly. I cannot wait to go back. Here is what we had: Braised pork arepas:a-maz-ing Chorizo and cheese dip: this was my least favorite. It was good but not as good as the rest. Coconut prawns: very good, I normally wouldn't try this but I felt adventurous and am glad I did. table side guac: so freaking good. bacon wrapped jalapeño: delicious chicken tacos: my favorite item!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We have been going to Oba for years and are never disappointed. The food is and service are consistently good. Love their cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableIheartfoodDined on 10/24/2014We try to get out to Oba with a group of friends for great food and wine at least once or twice a year. It's priced accordingly. So unless you have deep pockets this isn't going to be a weekly dinner spot. Remember to make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to amazemaninthemoonDined on 10/23/2014I have never had anything less than mouth-watering here, no matter how odd the dish might sound. Service is a team effort and you feel like a VIP.Special Features:
- First visit to ObasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I really enjoyed my meal - brussel sprout salad (excellent), then swordfish, which was good but over salted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great kids menu!MommyFoodyDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I have loved going to Oba! for years, but when our baby girl came along our trips stopped. We wanted to celebrate our anniversary and decided that we would try Oba! again but this time with our now 3 year old. Of course our food was amazing but we were so surprised by the awesome kids menu. I was expecting to share my plate with my daughter but there was no need. She even kept busy with the restaurant provided crayons. It was just really nice to have an amazing meal for all three of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as AlwaysmonthlyvisitorDined on 10/17/2014Great dinning experience once again. The seared tuna was amazing, The chicken breast tacos perfect for the appetite. Noise level was low so my wife and I could have an easy conversation while enjoying our beverages. Once again, a great dinner adventure.Special Features:
- Salem DinerPraxismaxisdinerDined on 10/16/2014Long time favorite. Had my last three birthday dinners here. Always totally impressed with the food. They never miss a beat. The menu changes in fantastic ways. Always with new and delightful options. Eat here, you will be rewarded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionTiredworkingmomDined on 10/11/2014Our family is gluten and dairy free. We rarely go out and say the food was delicious, because most places usually leave us feeling bloated. Walking in, Oba has a wonderful warm ambiance. My husband and I began in the bar with a mango mojito and blackberry lemon drop. We were moved to our table for dinner and had coconut shrimp for an appetizer. Our waiter did an excellent job on suggestions. We had prime rib and macadamia crusted swordfish. It was all delicious. We ended with chocolate mousse. If we had the money to eat there more often we would, but this is definitely only a special occasion restaurant. Bonus is that the restaurant is so expensive people don't bring little kids. Nice to have a dressed up grown up night with no kids.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the food!ameenijjarDined on 10/10/2014My boyfriend and I went to Oba for our anniversary dinner - we came from out of town and decided to go there after reading many great reviews. We arrived right on time for our reservation, however we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table to clear. This wasn't a big problem, as we were seated in the lounge and could have a drink while we waited. The food was phenomenal! I ordered the butternut squash enchiladas, and my boyfriend had the prime rib. We also ordered the scallop/chips appetizer they had as a special that evening, it was a great, refreshing snack to start off the meal. I would 100% go back, and I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceBayAreaGranDined on 10/10/2014Ate here twice on a four night visit to Portland. The food is outstanding! Lively bar and warm, candle lit dining rooms. Although, the back dining room was a tad too dark to read the menu. Many had their cell phones out for more light. They have their own version of Caesar salad that my husband raved about and had both nights. We shared the paella, which was enough for two of us after our guac and salads. Lots of shellfish, sausage and chicken make the paella an excellent choice. You can choose to either dine off the tapas menu or choose from one of their creative entrees. I highly recommend dining at Oba.Special Features:
- La paellaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014We came for the paella and it was disappointing. Needed more flavor.Special Features:
- bp palo altobppaDined on 10/10/2014First time at Oba, being from our of town, went off the trendy list for Potland. Did not disappoint. Great service, great food, liked by our teenagers to our adults. Groups were observed having a great time ... and the place was generally hopping. We are coming back! Leave extra time to park in Pearl District on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindDinealotDined on 10/9/2014We went to Oba at the recommendation of a friend and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. From the waiters' attention, incredible food -- especially the paella -- romantic and inviting ambiance, and a nice selection of wines. We'd highly recommend Oba to anyone looking for a memorable food experience.Special Features:
- Always GreatDebbiePDined on 10/4/2014For most of our special occassions (birthdays and anniversaries) we come to OBA. The service is great the food is unique and great. The servers are knowledgable about the food and the wines. Highly recommend this resteraunt to anyone.Special Features:
- awesome place for B- days with fam.lovefamDined on 10/3/2014This place was awesome my mother turned 50 and she loved every minute of it the server was great so attentive recommend this place to anyone !! Will be back:)Special Features:
- Consistently Solid ChoiceKAO1221Dined on 9/26/2014This is a great "goto" restaurant. Restaurants in the Pearl come and go, but Oba is a mainstay. Consistency in the food, cleanliness, and service is the key.Special Features:
- First time not the best steakfrack77Dined on 9/24/2014Everyone deserves an off night, My $36 steak was at best something even my friend didn't want to finish her first bite. They came thru with another kind of steak and it was perfect, but I am eating after everyone else is finished...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MardaDined on 9/20/2014We happened upon this restaurant during our stay in Portland and decided to try it. The food was very good and the service was not bad overall; however I was a bit turned off by our waiter towards the end of the meal. I was dining with one other person and she had already finished her plate. As I was still working on mine (and not eating at slow pace either), he walked up to give each of us the dessert menu, despite the fact that I was still eating. I found that to be very stressful and took away from my enjoying the rest of my meal. Perhaps it was just an off-night or moment for our waiter, but it made me feel very unwelcome indeed. The food was nice, but I would have to think about going there again because of this.Special Features:
- FarruggiaFarruggiaDined on 9/20/2014This is a fantastic restaurant. My wife and I visit at least two times a year and she selects this for her birthday every year. The selections are amazing and the flavors explode in your month. Incredible food experience for the price. One of our favorites and that is saying something considering the great restaurants in Portlande.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our dining experience at Oba!soccermom10Dined on 9/13/2014My boyfriend and I were visiting from the San Francisco Bay area and were looking for a restaurant with outdoor seating and excellent food! We found both at "Oba's". We chose to have drinks (sangria and marionberry margaritas) and a variety of tapas. Our waitress made some suggestions that were wonderful! My dining experience rating is based on sitting outdoors. Portland was having a heat wave; therefore, sitting outside was awesome! We enjoy quiet where we can have good conversation and outside was perfect! After dinner we went inside to see what it was like and found it extremely noisy. That wouldn't have been as nice for us; however, the younger set probably would love it and say it was full of energy. Highly recommend Oba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas MealsoccerdoodmanVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a meal of the Tapas appetizers and salads along with fresh mojitos...very tasty. Baked Argentina for dessert was quite good.Special Features:
- nomnom716Dined on 9/9/2014The conversation was so good that I barely remembered the food lol. It wasn't bad that's for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table-side GuacamolebeentheredonethatDined on 9/7/2014You must have the guacamole! It is made right at your table. I could have it as my entree!Special Features:
- So delicious!PickyEaterDined on 9/6/2014I have nothing but good things to say about Oba. The service was impeccable despite it being a busy Saturday night and the food was unsurpassable! Chef Neumann is a food genius! Love this place and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was nice...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014Pros: fast, friendly staff and service, good happy hour menu, nice atmosphere, not too loud, table side guacamole, fish tacos. Cons: octopus might not be octopus but either way it wasn't that good, coconut shrimp are tasty but predictable and generic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, Celiac-friendly too!CeliacdinerDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Oba. The tableside guacamole was the best I've ever had. We both had the special, which was delicious, and the service was excellent. I was especially impressed with the gluten-free options since I have Celiac disease - they have a separate printed menu displaying the gluten-free choices, as well as listings for other allergens. Delicious food, lovely environment, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentlushlifeDined on 9/4/2014Delicious food. Outstanding service. Always a solid dining experience.
- wisetravelerDined on 9/1/2014Excellent fish tacos and tasty margaritas - a real change from the run of the mill bar fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.