555 NW 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.obarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5032286161
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Tuesday 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wednesday-Thursday 5:00pm-9:30pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Latin American, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scott Neuman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call Oba's Event Coordinator, Galit Reilly 503.750.7675, for details.
A word from Oba
Located in the heart of the Pearl District, ¡Oba! Restaurante is known for its lively atmosphere, hand-crafted cocktails and award-winning Nuevo Latino cuisine. ¡Oba!’s menu is where bold Latin traditions, spices and preparations meet seasonal, local ingredients. ¡Oba!’s inventive cuisine, stunning design, award-winning wine list and commitment to excellent guest service have sustained a solid following and 15 successful years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Oba reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)fit for foodies (76)romantic (57)neighborhood gem (55)vibrant bar scene (48)good for groups (47)hot spot (26)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (25)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A classic gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Once again, Oba did not disapointed us. From the well mixed cocktails at the bar, to the final piece-of-resistance: deset, the whole palat experience was delightfull and as expected for this restaurant high level. Was nice to see their classic steak a la micalese, but they keep on renovating other choices offering something inovatiing and above all, very tasting, well presented and served. The service was always is top notch, and having now you own bottle of water at the table. it's a nice small touch. A final word of thanks for the hostess, that was able to accomodate us so wellSpecial Features:
- Food/serviceSugarjetsDined on 8/27/2014Paella very good/shrimp fried rice too, too salty/too noisy/service slow
- Fabulous and diet friendly.PDXfoodieDined on 8/26/2014I love Oba! Service is always superb. Our waiter was great tin suggesting and supporting our ordering and was diligent in following up to insure that we were happy and satisfied with what was then delivered to our table. I have dietary concerns and Oba always is able and willing to adjust to accommodate my needs. I always recommend this as a "go to" favorite and am never disappointed with the dinner that I receive.Special Features:
- Dinner at Oba 8/23/14BirthdayCelebratorsDined on 8/23/2014I took my daughter to dinner on 8/23 at Oba for her birthday. The last time we were there together was several years ago. This time we shared several tapas - the waiter was very helpful answering our questions about the portion sizes and descriptions of the items as we were ordering. He was attentive, but not intrusive. - very pleasant. My other daughter called from out of town and ordered dessert for her sister's birthday. Again, our waiter was attentive, pleasant and cheerful and dessert was wonderful. The food was excellent. We had coconut prawns, salad, bacon wrapped peppers, crab cakes and empanadas. All were lovely.Special Features:
- Fun placeNWGuyDined on 8/22/2014This is a fun place to go with really good Latin influenced food and great margaritas. Good for groups or just two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-theatre dinnerdramaDined on 8/18/2014Oba was the perfect spot to dine with friends before the theatre. We were served quickly and the food was very good. I think we will go back again.Special Features:
- Always fantastic Tapas and MojitoswfsiiiDined on 8/15/2014We love to entertain friends and family with a meal or tapas at Oba! Your Mojitos are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.LoulouthiaDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a first-time visit to Oba and were very pleased. The decor is sophisticated yet comfortable, the wait staff (especially our waitress) was friendly and professional, and the food was superb. The caesar salad was a delicious variation of the classic, and my heirloom tomato salad was delicious as well as visually delightful. The salmon was perfectly done and the accompanying coconut rice and vegetables were great. My husband's beef was also cooked exactly to his standard of medium-rare and was extremely delicious. We had flan and chocolate semifreddo for dessert and were delighted with both. This meal was one of the best we've had (including in Philadelphia and New York).Special Features:
- Everything was amazingMareDined on 8/14/2014The cod and salmon were cooked perfectly; tableside guac is the best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and funNormandoDined on 8/11/2014I've always enjoyed Oba. It has a creative and broad ranging menu, covering all of the Latin American cuisines. We've always had fun in this lively and energetic environment.Special Features:
- Lovely staff, great experiencesimonepdxDined on 8/10/2014Appetizers, like the amazing guacamole, and beef entrees are the strong points here, but the real stars are the serving staff, who are so pleasant, informative, fun, and helpful. Even a kitchen misstep was corrected graciously. Also, they have a great wine list, and the cocktails are very well made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerRosall81Dined on 8/9/2014We wanted to try a place we had not been so picked oba and we were not disappointed. I was a bit surprised by the cost of the meal but it was definitely delicious food and we will be coming back. Just with better expectation on entree prices. Our server was excellent and gave us great recommendations on the menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food....butAvbduffyDined on 8/8/2014Food was great, drinks were ok. Service was not great our server was not friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of FunNWGuyDined on 8/8/2014This restaurant has it all - location, good service and great food. It is lively without being raucous. Wonderful variety of Latin based food and good margaritas! Just a great place to have dinnerSpecial Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014I've been here once before with my husband and we had a wonderful experience. This time I took my mom and it was just as fabulous. The food is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smashingly goodchanote44Dined on 8/2/2014I loved everything about Oba. This place rocks and doesn't stop till you leave. All the food was excellent, our server was knowledgeable and friendly and the drinks were great.Special Features:
- All-around good restaurantvictorbDined on 8/1/2014Five of us ate dinner here: grandparents, parents, and grand-daughter. All were pleased and satisfied by the shared small plates, the cheerful service, and the reasonable prices. The food is imaginative without being precious, and the drinks - sangria and mojitos on a hot evening - were considerably above average.Special Features:
- Not Bad, But Not GreatfrancophonefoodieDined on 7/29/2014Oba has a great Happy Hour in the bar, and their dining area in the back is quite lovely. We enjoyed the tall booths, color scheme, and lighting. There was a really loud, large group at the other end of the dining room that stayed loud for the entire time they were there, which was quite distracting. The appetizers, Queso Fundido, and the Colombian Empanadas, were tasty. The beet salad and butter lettuce salads were also good. I ordered the beef ancho, and was disappointed at the toughness of the meat. It was not worth the $38 we paid for it. My friend had the mahi mahi crusted with macadamian nuts, which he enjoyed. For dessert, we had the chocolate semifreddo and creme brulee, which were tasty.Special Features:
- Happy Hour ReviewRedLaRouxDined on 7/29/2014Oba wasn't bad! It also wasn't super great. It has a good crowd of people, but I felt like the staff and food were sub-par. Also, it was sunny and gorgeous out, and the outdoor seating was closed, which makes zero sense. My nachos were delivered cold and kind of aged, like they had been sitting out for a really long time. Also, the guacamole is $18, which I find a little silly. Service was really slow, but they were also very busy - maybe they were short staffed? I'll give it another try, but I'm not impressed quite yet!Special Features:
- Portland's Best-Kept Secret?Luv2dinepdxDined on 7/28/2014We chose Oba from Open Table after searching for Seafood in the Pearl. Oba was the only return! So while bar-hopping before dinner, we asked what people thought. No one we encountered in the immediate neighborhood had heard of the place. Which worried me. But fear not, we enjoyed our meal. Thought the food was excellent. A complete and satisfying meal was had from the tapas/pinxos menu, washed down with a pitcher of delicious mojitos. It would appear that an "Industry Night" for the neighborhood is in order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!monthlyvisitorDined on 7/26/2014As always, Oba was a great date night destination. The Ahi was perfect, the dairy free quesadilla was perfect, the mango salsa was amazing and our overall experience was perfect. Not to loud, but busy. Great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate at OBABoomerDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated our 15 year anniversary at OBA. As usual the food was great, and the outside seating was very nice. We ordered a Swordfish dish and a flank steak dish; both were prepared perfectly with perfect portions. OBA is one of our favorite places to celebrate special occasions or just have a great meal. We love the uniqueness of the menu, the atmosphere and the location. We highly recommend OBA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good.jdreganDined on 7/26/2014Our dinner group met here and were pleasantly surprised how good the food was. I would return to try other dishes. The atmosphere was lively. The only complaint we had was the noise level -- it was quite loud and difficult for us to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BritTexFoodieDined on 7/23/2014Great spot for foodies that are also want GF or Vegetarian fare. Many items on the regular menu can also be made GF which is great sign of flexibility by the chefs. The wine list is not huge but it's easy to find good matches for the food. A definite recommendation an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Two people, one entree, three smaller tapas type dishes-- lots of delicious foods. Recommended eating.Special Features:
- Excellent menunibblesDined on 7/22/2014Exquisitely prepared food. Excellent service. And the menu has something for everyone ... vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. When I go out to eat, I want healthful choices - I want to feel good when I leave. There were, indeed, many healthful items to choose from!Special Features:
- Top of the line foodDanglinDaveDined on 7/19/2014The food is amazing! It is more than worth the price. Everything we had was so much more than we were expecting. I can't rave enough about how good the food is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceTGF58VIPDined on 7/15/2014A friend and I had dinner at Oba recently and our experience went from disappointing to exceptional all based on the actions of our server Karen and the owner Steve. We started our meal with some wonderful seared ahi tuna and followed it by a unique version of a Ceasar salad and finally, shared an order of butternut squash enchiladas and a medium rare filet mignon. It was clear when the steak arrived that it was overcooked so we immediately notified Karen and it was quickly replaced by a perfectly cooked version accompanied by glasses of wine. Karen and Steve quick reaction, pleasant demeanor and attentive service made for a terrific experience. I would not hesitate to return to a restaurant that takes great care of their customersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was amazingswilliamsDined on 7/12/2014Took my wife here on our 5 year wedding anniversary and Oba did not disappoint. The service, food, drinks, and environment was amazing. We will go back in a heart beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaisieDined on 7/12/2014We were disappointed. The green gazpacho was great along with the jalapeño small plate. My steak was very over cooked and the accompanying Brussels sprouts were nothing special, bland. I had coffee and it was lukewarm. We hadn't been here in a few years and I think the overall attention to detail has decreased. It is still a great bar and happy hour venue.Special Features:
- Delicious @ a reasonable priceIPAGuyDined on 7/12/2014Wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable. I had the crab cakes & salad. Both were delicious. We met out-of-town guests and Oba is a nice place to have a conversation, some delicious food at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great servicePortlandiaVIPDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed our drinks, appetizers, meal and dessert. We highly recommend Oba for a dinner out with friends and family or a romantic dinner out or for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Delicious Tapas and DrinksdatenightVIPDined on 7/7/2014The beef skewers are delicious - we ended up ordering more after our first serving! The drinks were also amazing and the service very friendly and helpful when picking out tapas.Special Features:
- JoeDDined on 7/5/2014Had an excellent meal here last year when we came to Portland for the Blues Festival. We looked forward to returning this year. What a mistake. I had a $38 top sirloin that was supposed to be "nicely marbled and tender" according to our server. Instead, it was tough and riddled with gristle. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Great Pearl find!CopperpotsDined on 7/5/2014Romantic foodie restaurant in the Pearl. Great food and ambience. If you want to feel special, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tailored orderRoseburgfoodieDined on 7/3/2014We had several special requests and substitutions. The service was positive. The special requests were honored. No salt, or butter, substitute side dishes, split portions, etc. Nicely done. We'll go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oba Outstanding!NWGuyDined on 7/3/2014This is a very good place to meet friends who enjoy good food and and lively place. Although it is an hispanic name and serves great margaritas, it is not all Mexican food. Big variety, and everything we had was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite spotsObscureDetailsDined on 6/28/2014Having moved away from Portland after living there for several years, one of the places we always miss is Oba. We've been there many times, in groups, with our kids, and just by ourselves. When we had a chance to visit back for a weekend, we made it the centerpiece of our weekend. From the serrano-pepper caipirinhas to the flan for dessert, and with gaucho-style Prime Rib and vaca frita in between, the food at Oba is what brings me back again and again. It was somewhat noisier than I remembered, largely because of a large and enthusiastic party next to us. It's the kind of place where you don't mind the energy, though, and the meticulous service and terrific food made it all worthwhile.Special Features:
- Just right!Live2dineDined on 6/28/2014I had friends with kids and in-laws visiting from the northeast U.S., and wanted them to experience a non-chain restaurant and the Pearl. The food was great, the service was spectacular, and Oba was the perfect choice to host a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but pricyFrankDined on 6/27/2014Everything about the dining expeience at Oba is good, but one pays for it. The food and wine prices are aggressive.Special Features: