555 NW 12th Ave
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.obarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5032286161
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Tuesday 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wednesday-Thursday 5:00pm-9:30pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Latin American, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scott Neuman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call Oba's Event Coordinator, Galit Reilly 503.750.7675, for details.
A word from Oba
Located in the heart of the Pearl District, ¡Oba! Restaurante is known for its lively atmosphere, hand-crafted cocktails and award-winning Nuevo Latino cuisine. ¡Oba!’s menu is where bold Latin traditions, spices and preparations meet seasonal, local ingredients. ¡Oba!’s inventive cuisine, stunning design, award-winning wine list and commitment to excellent guest service have sustained a solid following and 15 successful years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Oba reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (77)romantic (63)good for groups (55)neighborhood gem (51)vibrant bar scene (49)hot spot (32)notable wine list (30)great for outdoor dining (23)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- First visit to ObasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I really enjoyed my meal - brussel sprout salad (excellent), then swordfish, which was good but over salted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great kids menu!MommyFoodyDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I have loved going to Oba! for years, but when our baby girl came along our trips stopped. We wanted to celebrate our anniversary and decided that we would try Oba! again but this time with our now 3 year old. Of course our food was amazing but we were so surprised by the awesome kids menu. I was expecting to share my plate with my daughter but there was no need. She even kept busy with the restaurant provided crayons. It was just really nice to have an amazing meal for all three of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as AlwaysmonthlyvisitorDined on 10/17/2014Great dinning experience once again. The seared tuna was amazing, The chicken breast tacos perfect for the appetite. Noise level was low so my wife and I could have an easy conversation while enjoying our beverages. Once again, a great dinner adventure.Special Features:
- Salem DinerPraxismaxisdinerDined on 10/16/2014Long time favorite. Had my last three birthday dinners here. Always totally impressed with the food. They never miss a beat. The menu changes in fantastic ways. Always with new and delightful options. Eat here, you will be rewarded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the food!ameenijjarDined on 10/10/2014My boyfriend and I went to Oba for our anniversary dinner - we came from out of town and decided to go there after reading many great reviews. We arrived right on time for our reservation, however we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table to clear. This wasn't a big problem, as we were seated in the lounge and could have a drink while we waited. The food was phenomenal! I ordered the butternut squash enchiladas, and my boyfriend had the prime rib. We also ordered the scallop/chips appetizer they had as a special that evening, it was a great, refreshing snack to start off the meal. I would 100% go back, and I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceBayAreaGranDined on 10/10/2014Ate here twice on a four night visit to Portland. The food is outstanding! Lively bar and warm, candle lit dining rooms. Although, the back dining room was a tad too dark to read the menu. Many had their cell phones out for more light. They have their own version of Caesar salad that my husband raved about and had both nights. We shared the paella, which was enough for two of us after our guac and salads. Lots of shellfish, sausage and chicken make the paella an excellent choice. You can choose to either dine off the tapas menu or choose from one of their creative entrees. I highly recommend dining at Oba.Special Features:
- La paellaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014We came for the paella and it was disappointing. Needed more flavor.Special Features:
- bp palo altobppaDined on 10/10/2014First time at Oba, being from our of town, went off the trendy list for Potland. Did not disappoint. Great service, great food, liked by our teenagers to our adults. Groups were observed having a great time ... and the place was generally hopping. We are coming back! Leave extra time to park in Pearl District on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindDinealotDined on 10/9/2014We went to Oba at the recommendation of a friend and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. From the waiters' attention, incredible food -- especially the paella -- romantic and inviting ambiance, and a nice selection of wines. We'd highly recommend Oba to anyone looking for a memorable food experience.Special Features:
- Always GreatDebbiePDined on 10/4/2014For most of our special occassions (birthdays and anniversaries) we come to OBA. The service is great the food is unique and great. The servers are knowledgable about the food and the wines. Highly recommend this resteraunt to anyone.Special Features:
- awesome place for B- days with fam.lovefamDined on 10/3/2014This place was awesome my mother turned 50 and she loved every minute of it the server was great so attentive recommend this place to anyone !! Will be back:)Special Features:
- Consistently Solid ChoiceKAO1221Dined on 9/26/2014This is a great "goto" restaurant. Restaurants in the Pearl come and go, but Oba is a mainstay. Consistency in the food, cleanliness, and service is the key.Special Features:
- First time not the best steakfrack77Dined on 9/24/2014Everyone deserves an off night, My $36 steak was at best something even my friend didn't want to finish her first bite. They came thru with another kind of steak and it was perfect, but I am eating after everyone else is finished...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MardaDined on 9/20/2014We happened upon this restaurant during our stay in Portland and decided to try it. The food was very good and the service was not bad overall; however I was a bit turned off by our waiter towards the end of the meal. I was dining with one other person and she had already finished her plate. As I was still working on mine (and not eating at slow pace either), he walked up to give each of us the dessert menu, despite the fact that I was still eating. I found that to be very stressful and took away from my enjoying the rest of my meal. Perhaps it was just an off-night or moment for our waiter, but it made me feel very unwelcome indeed. The food was nice, but I would have to think about going there again because of this.Special Features:
- FarruggiaFarruggiaDined on 9/20/2014This is a fantastic restaurant. My wife and I visit at least two times a year and she selects this for her birthday every year. The selections are amazing and the flavors explode in your month. Incredible food experience for the price. One of our favorites and that is saying something considering the great restaurants in Portlande.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our dining experience at Oba!soccermom10Dined on 9/13/2014My boyfriend and I were visiting from the San Francisco Bay area and were looking for a restaurant with outdoor seating and excellent food! We found both at "Oba's". We chose to have drinks (sangria and marionberry margaritas) and a variety of tapas. Our waitress made some suggestions that were wonderful! My dining experience rating is based on sitting outdoors. Portland was having a heat wave; therefore, sitting outside was awesome! We enjoy quiet where we can have good conversation and outside was perfect! After dinner we went inside to see what it was like and found it extremely noisy. That wouldn't have been as nice for us; however, the younger set probably would love it and say it was full of energy. Highly recommend Oba!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas MealsoccerdoodmanVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a meal of the Tapas appetizers and salads along with fresh mojitos...very tasty. Baked Argentina for dessert was quite good.Special Features:
- nomnom716Dined on 9/9/2014The conversation was so good that I barely remembered the food lol. It wasn't bad that's for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table-side GuacamolebeentheredonethatDined on 9/7/2014You must have the guacamole! It is made right at your table. I could have it as my entree!Special Features:
- So delicious!PickyEaterDined on 9/6/2014I have nothing but good things to say about Oba. The service was impeccable despite it being a busy Saturday night and the food was unsurpassable! Chef Neumann is a food genius! Love this place and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was nice...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/5/2014Pros: fast, friendly staff and service, good happy hour menu, nice atmosphere, not too loud, table side guacamole, fish tacos. Cons: octopus might not be octopus but either way it wasn't that good, coconut shrimp are tasty but predictable and generic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, Celiac-friendly too!CeliacdinerDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Oba. The tableside guacamole was the best I've ever had. We both had the special, which was delicious, and the service was excellent. I was especially impressed with the gluten-free options since I have Celiac disease - they have a separate printed menu displaying the gluten-free choices, as well as listings for other allergens. Delicious food, lovely environment, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentlushlifeDined on 9/4/2014Delicious food. Outstanding service. Always a solid dining experience.
- wisetravelerDined on 9/1/2014Excellent fish tacos and tasty margaritas - a real change from the run of the mill bar fare!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic gemnwphilDined on 8/30/2014Once again, Oba did not disapointed us. From the well mixed cocktails at the bar, to the final piece-of-resistance: deset, the whole palat experience was delightfull and as expected for this restaurant high level. Was nice to see their classic steak a la micalese, but they keep on renovating other choices offering something inovatiing and above all, very tasting, well presented and served. The service was always is top notch, and having now you own bottle of water at the table. it's a nice small touch. A final word of thanks for the hostess, that was able to accomodate us so wellSpecial Features:
- Food/serviceSugarjetsDined on 8/27/2014Paella very good/shrimp fried rice too, too salty/too noisy/service slow
- Fabulous and diet friendly.PDXfoodieDined on 8/26/2014I love Oba! Service is always superb. Our waiter was great tin suggesting and supporting our ordering and was diligent in following up to insure that we were happy and satisfied with what was then delivered to our table. I have dietary concerns and Oba always is able and willing to adjust to accommodate my needs. I always recommend this as a "go to" favorite and am never disappointed with the dinner that I receive.Special Features:
- Dinner at Oba 8/23/14BirthdayCelebratorsDined on 8/23/2014I took my daughter to dinner on 8/23 at Oba for her birthday. The last time we were there together was several years ago. This time we shared several tapas - the waiter was very helpful answering our questions about the portion sizes and descriptions of the items as we were ordering. He was attentive, but not intrusive. - very pleasant. My other daughter called from out of town and ordered dessert for her sister's birthday. Again, our waiter was attentive, pleasant and cheerful and dessert was wonderful. The food was excellent. We had coconut prawns, salad, bacon wrapped peppers, crab cakes and empanadas. All were lovely.Special Features:
- Fun placeNWGuyDined on 8/22/2014This is a fun place to go with really good Latin influenced food and great margaritas. Good for groups or just two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-theatre dinnerdramaDined on 8/18/2014Oba was the perfect spot to dine with friends before the theatre. We were served quickly and the food was very good. I think we will go back again.Special Features:
- Always fantastic Tapas and MojitoswfsiiiDined on 8/15/2014We love to entertain friends and family with a meal or tapas at Oba! Your Mojitos are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.LoulouthiaDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a first-time visit to Oba and were very pleased. The decor is sophisticated yet comfortable, the wait staff (especially our waitress) was friendly and professional, and the food was superb. The caesar salad was a delicious variation of the classic, and my heirloom tomato salad was delicious as well as visually delightful. The salmon was perfectly done and the accompanying coconut rice and vegetables were great. My husband's beef was also cooked exactly to his standard of medium-rare and was extremely delicious. We had flan and chocolate semifreddo for dessert and were delighted with both. This meal was one of the best we've had (including in Philadelphia and New York).Special Features:
- Everything was amazingMareDined on 8/14/2014The cod and salmon were cooked perfectly; tableside guac is the best ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and funNormandoDined on 8/11/2014I've always enjoyed Oba. It has a creative and broad ranging menu, covering all of the Latin American cuisines. We've always had fun in this lively and energetic environment.Special Features:
- Good in the PearlgourmandrewVIPDined on 8/10/2014It's just good. Not great, not mediocre. Still one of the few places in the Pearl to return time and time again for consistent food.
- Lovely staff, great experiencesimonepdxDined on 8/10/2014Appetizers, like the amazing guacamole, and beef entrees are the strong points here, but the real stars are the serving staff, who are so pleasant, informative, fun, and helpful. Even a kitchen misstep was corrected graciously. Also, they have a great wine list, and the cocktails are very well made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerRosall81Dined on 8/9/2014We wanted to try a place we had not been so picked oba and we were not disappointed. I was a bit surprised by the cost of the meal but it was definitely delicious food and we will be coming back. Just with better expectation on entree prices. Our server was excellent and gave us great recommendations on the menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food....butAvbduffyDined on 8/8/2014Food was great, drinks were ok. Service was not great our server was not friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of FunNWGuyDined on 8/8/2014This restaurant has it all - location, good service and great food. It is lively without being raucous. Wonderful variety of Latin based food and good margaritas! Just a great place to have dinnerSpecial Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014I've been here once before with my husband and we had a wonderful experience. This time I took my mom and it was just as fabulous. The food is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.