1464 W 86th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oakleysbistro.com/
- Phone: 3178241231
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 1:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steven J. Oakley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Catering Options Available
- Private Party Facilities: Private Party Options Available
- Private Party Contact: Chris Hopkins 3178241231
A word from OAKLEYS bistro
Welcome to OAKLEYS bistro where food is our passion and sharing it with our guests is our joy! To learn more about us, we encourage you to visit our website at www.oakleysbistro.com; better yet, we invite you to join us and experience for yourself that we love what we do and it shows! We’re honored with local and national recognition such as Indianapolis Monthly’s 2006 “Super Star” and 2005 “Restaurant of the Year” and Bon Appétit’s “hottest restaurant from coast to coast;” but, we most cherish the accolades from our guests. We look forward to welcoming you ~ Steven J. Oakley, Chef/Proprietor...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
OAKLEYS bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
OAKLEYS bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (68)neighborhood gem (57)romantic (45)notable wine list (35)great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (15)great for lunch (15)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- First disappointmentWillbebackDined on 9/13/2014Always enjoyed in the past but not this time. So called prawns were out of the bag u20s and we're overlooked and rubbery. Also tasteless. Boar was nothing special. R Butchers block mostly pickled veggies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I had a tomato salad which was good but cost $13.75 for two tomatoes, sprigs of green and two pieces of shaved carrot! Overpriced... Also, my husband asked for a Hendricks gin martini. It tasted odd. The waitress then explained that you not have Hendricks gin when bringing another. She have said upfront that you do not carry the type of gin asked for. The service was also a bit slow. The restaurant was extremely loud.
- Top SpotcreeDined on 9/9/2014A real gem in the northern Indianapolis area, Oakley's was the perfect place for a special birthday lunch. The food presentation was camera worthy and loved the tastes of shrimp bisque, chicken/artichoke tart, yummy risotto. Enjoyed the fresh pea tendrils garnish on a few dishes. Cute bistro interior, outside dining too overlooking the parking lot of the strip mall. Attentive service. But, where was everybody?? We were only one of three or four tables during our hour lunch on a weekday. This restaurant deserves to be busier!Special Features:
- Completely satisfiedDisappointedDined on 9/6/2014The food was wonderful and the service very good. The presentation of the entrees was Artistic and appealingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indy1Dined on 9/6/2014Good venue for small (5-8) groups, creative menu, reasonable wines choices (quality and price)...service usually prompt and curteous, sometimes a little slow when very full (e.g. this past Saturday)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not for vegetariansTraveler2014Dined on 9/5/2014Good food, but mostly meat based. Not the best for my vegetarian wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishSwangoDined on 8/30/2014We haven't been to Oakley's in about 8 years. It was good then...it is amazing now. Yum. Our entrées were so wonderful...The steak was quite good, although the Duck was perfectly cooked and accompanied by the perfect ingredients. The goat cheese mac n cheese and fried Brussels sprouts were so delicious and so satisfying that they could have been a meal all of its own. Even the red sauce on my daughter's pasta was incredible...fit for a 9 year old or an adult. And the featured wine was Carr estates...ok...a second bottle please. We couldn't stop making yummy sounds.Special Features:
- Among the best in IndyTNT17Dined on 8/30/2014We've been Oakley's customers for many years, and it's still among our favorites in Indy. They always do whatever they can to make the evening special. The food is uniformly excellent. Current, modern-American flavor combinations and presentations, but not heavy on fads or gimmicks. Try a variety of small and/or medium-sized dishes for the best experience.Special Features:
- Seemed Like a Good IdeaSuburbanDadDined on 8/26/2014We arrived and I began to explain to the hostess I had a reservation, her phone rang and without saying a word she picked up the receiver and began taking some one else's reservation for the weekend. A waitress then came over, took our name, and seated us. Our waitress was great but we continually had to deal with the hostess who came by to take our order but began walking away before we had finished telling her our choices We finished that little process by talking over the booth wall as she walked toward the kitchen. The spinach salad was great, the meatloaf a little too BBQ flavored and the Chicken fettuccini was a big plate but very good. The Crème Brule was fantastic. Chef Oakley thanked us as we left which helped a little.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in indyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014For a special occasion or romantic evening, this is my favorite place in indy. The service is always spot on, the food inventive and superbly prepared, and the atmosphere is elegant with being fussy. We looked the gnocchi appetiZer, and this place knows how to do duck rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trying hard but too priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014The service was very good. The deviled eggs apps were tasty. The salad lacked lettuce a hand full would have made it a salad. The entrees were OK but the plates were not a meal even by European standards. The Deserts were a sample. Overall a 70 % meal at 120% price.
- Best in TownNutmegDined on 8/22/2014Our guests from Chicago always ask to go to dinner at Oakley's. They say its the best restaurant in Indianapolis. He praised the food and the waiter to the skies for knowing the menu, wine list and accommodating the special needs of our lady tuest.Special Features:
- Great local findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014Great local find, great place to get caught up with a good friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Always - PerfectHilotheBostonDined on 8/16/2014One of our favorite places. Every item that comes out of the kitchen is delightful and bulging with a surprise taste with each bite. The service is always excellent but not overbearing. The small plates and appetizers make a whole meal although the meals are supreme. For the quality of food you receive and the service rendered, I would say the meals are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best.JonLucDined on 8/16/2014Celebrated our anniversary at Oakley's Bistro. This was our first visit. One of the most delicious and elegant meals we have ever eaten at a restaurant. The Tilapia was fresh from South America, not China, which was important to us. The risotto was amazing! Service was great. Wow, can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicesuperiorfoodandserviceDined on 8/15/2014The staff was very helpful in the wine choice and were willing to have us not buy a bottled they opened but we didn't like. The taste and presentation of the appetizers was excellent. Everyone really liked their meals. The quantity was sufficient. The waitress was truly excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding FooddrwojoVIPDined on 8/13/2014Really an outstanding meal. Great selection of appetizers, but make sure you get the bacon wrapped apricots and the deviled eggs. There are also others, so it was hard to choose. My wife had the duck duck entree and I had the special fried chicken. Beautifully prepared and delicious. Make sure you get the fried brussel sprouts as a side. Oakley's is perhaps the best restaurant in Indy, or at least head to head with Late Harvest Kitchen. Well worth it.Special Features:
- My "go to" for out of townersdineNdashDined on 8/12/2014The prawn and wild boar dish is amazing. I entertained a couple of guests from out of town...both thought the food and atmosphere was outstanding. The staff was knowledgable and friendly....creating a very relaxed atmosphere for the evening.Special Features:
- Still outstandingfatboyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had not been here for awhile and it was as I remembered - very good! Tomato, mozzarella, balsamic was a great starter. Fresh Kobia entrée was outstanding. The deconstructed cheesecake was a wonderful finish to the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Entreemilan73mgbDined on 8/8/2014I had a Cobia entrée prepared perfectly and presented artistically. The escargot in pesto was good but not to die for... The wine was just OK and a cocktail we had metered to the inch. Stingy on drinks and very proud of the offerings. The fresh garden salad had the best of summer tomatoes but the price of $13 left you wondering about the very small portion. All in all, great food that is worth the experience.Special Features:
- Another great mealOChemistDined on 8/2/2014Took our daughter here to celebrate her grad school entrance. She's lived in Washington, DC for five years, now in NYC and she was very favorably impressed with the creativity and quality of our meals and especially the desserts. Nice wine list and cocktail selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggyDined on 8/1/2014Excellent find! Will definitely return on next trip to Indy. Creative, healthy dishes.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant in IndyFrequentDinerDined on 7/26/2014This is simply the best restaurant in Indianapolis. Excellent food with an interesting presentation. I've never been disappointed. This is also the place to try new things outside your comfort zone or a new take on old favorites. Chef Oakley has been very successful at this over the years. The service is always very good. The ambience is elegant, trendy yet comfortable if you are casual. They also have special wine tasting events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat Like a RockStar FoodieProfessorDocDined on 7/19/2014We are regular foodies. This is our GO-TO place in indy for true fine dining.Special Features:
- My Go To PlacedineNdashDined on 7/16/2014You can always count on great food and friendly/knowledgeable serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchNutmegDined on 7/12/2014Always an excellent choice for friends. Superb wine list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- tkyciDined on 7/11/2014good peice and good food with warmer service in there.Special Features:
- oakley's bistrobestplace4diningDined on 7/11/2014in my opinion, the best restaurant in Indianapolis. Food is excellent, staff is knowledgeable and prompt. Have been going there for years and have never been disappointed. Always something new and creative on the menu. Just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary there and had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great innovative foodLocalVIPDined on 7/9/2014The soups are always outstanding. Lots of great small and medium plates. Something for every size appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014I was very disappointed in the menu, small portions and very high pricing, compared to my last visit. I would not recommend this restaurant in the future, quite a letdown.
- Amazing foodzvillefoodieDined on 6/28/2014The food presentation and quality of ingredients was superb. The collection of flavors the chef brought together was a party in my mouth. We will definitely god again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAYatJWIndyVIPDined on 6/28/2014To say I love this restaurant would be an understatement. I cannot believe it took me so long to come back. The dinner was delicious. I dined with a friend and we were both very pleased. We both started with gazpacho. I had the cauliflower/almond gazpacho. For our entrees, I had the duck and he had the trout. Both were delicious. We ended the meal with an outstanding chocolate pudding. It was served chilled with pistachio nuts, caramel (if I recall), and a white chocolate sorbet. Our only complaint was that we didn't order two deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a SurpriseProfFoodVIPDined on 6/28/2014We dined at Oakley's on June the 28th. I had read the reviews and glanced at the menu prior to arrival. Without a questions this restaurant is "fit for foodies". I did find the menu a trifle tedious but that was due to the verbosity used to explain the selections, some of which was needed. The wait for the food was very short, which scared me slightly, but the presentation was incredible and I sincerely mean that. All of the entrees we ordered were tasty and interesting. We will return to Oakley's. Excellent food and Exceptional presentation. Clearly this chef knows what consumers are looking for in the Restaurant business. Plus he Thanked us for our business on our way out... Well Done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oakley's is the BEST in classJaneSDined on 6/27/2014I always bring my out of town guests to Oakley's for its can't miss fabulous cuisine. Always a "10" and memorable!!Special Features:
- Interesting find in a strip mallNanookDined on 6/24/2014This is a great bistro with really good gourmet food tucked away in a strip mall.Special Features:
- Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014The food was interesting and delicious. Presentation lovely. Wait staff very prompt and not intrusive. The environment is not noisy and relaxing. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- We'll be back very soon!Penny4urthtsVIPDined on 6/20/2014first time here. Checked OT for available tables on a friday night in our area and Oakley's came up. I had read about it before and we decided to go with it. So very, very glad we did. Truly an outstanding restaurant. If you have not tried it you must! We've been trying restaurants all over Indy for the past 3 months since moving here and this is by far the very best experience we've had and that is saying a lot. We have had some fabulous meals.Special Features:
- Food outstandingMichaelDined on 6/14/2014third time at Oakley's in the past 2 years, and it always pleases. Food is creative and delicious. Also very helpful and adapting to anyone with food issues - we are both gluten free, and they made everything work. Go here for great foodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2014The first course of the pork and grit spring rolls was excellent, but the standout was the corn gnocchi in the second course--Fabulous!! The special salad of tomato and watermelon was also incredible!! It's a great place to go and try lots of things. Be warned about the chairs on the porch--they are not comfortable at all.Special Features:
- Never fail dininggoodfoodVIPDined on 6/14/2014This independently run establishment has excellent and unique menu options. The food is prepared with the freshest ingredients and it always reassuring to see Mr. Oakley in the kitchen. While the taste of the food is the reason to go, the presentation of the menu items is always a highlight also. In addition, the price cannot be beat given the quality of the food and service.Special Features: