35 NE 40th Street
Miami, FL 33137Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oaktavernmiami.com/
- Phone: (786) 391-1818
- Hours of Operation:
CLOSED ON MONDAYS UNTIL OCTOBER
Brunch: Sunday 11:00am- 3:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday 12pm - 3pm
Happy Hour Daily: 4pm - 7pm
Dinner: Tuesday- Thursday: 6pm - 10:30pm, Friday 6:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday 6pm- 2am
Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: David Bracha
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Music "Under The Oak" Summer Series from 11pm - 2am
A word from Oak Tavern
A twist to American modern cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Design District ›
Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (30)great for brunch (23)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (10)romantic (10)kid-friendly (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- One of the best brunchMineliaDined on 11/9/2014Coconut French toasts!! Omg is one the best French toast I ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnaVIPDined on 11/8/2014First time - great food and nice ambiance, especially for a group.Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/7/2014My steak with a mushroom crust, as well as my octopus appetizer, was absolutely delicious. The service was very attentive. Our dinner was memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!BrowardgirlDined on 10/28/2014After reading a few reviews, we were expecting a good dining experience. Well, all I can say is WOW! The Oak Tavern was beyond our expectations! We arrived early, so there were very few diners, but the place filled up as we enjoyed our meal. The menu isn't huge, but we tried 2 appetizers and 2 entrees and each was better than the one before! The scallops were tender and cooked perfectly. The short rib was so tender you could cut it with a spoon! The roasted beets appetizer was delicious, with the perfect pairing of goat cheese, arugula and pistachio vinegrette. The cauliflower soup was pure comfort! The beer from Wynwood Brewery was super. We were offered tastes before ordering. Our server, Ana, was charming and attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Awesome Brunch SpotNumberOneVIPDined on 10/26/2014Brunch is always amazing here. Great service, food and drinks. Lively but laid back atmosphere. The best spot in the Design District for brunch.Special Features:
- Just a so-so restaurant.disappointedDined on 10/25/2014We were there on a Saturday night. We ordered kale salad, short ribs & mac and cheese, and burgers. The kale salad definitely deserves to be cut up smaller so it's easier to chew. The short ribs is good but it does not pair well with mac cheese. The burger was ridiculously salty and served on stale bun. However, the biscuits (in lieu of bread) was a stunner, fresh from the oven. In all, it's a nothing restaurant. The sauce/dressing to pair with the dishes fail to bring out the flavor of the dishes ingredients. They are put there for the sake of having something on the plate.
- Always ConsistentEKOPDined on 10/18/2014Great food, good service & great ambience. I had a grilled Bronzino & it was superb. Grilled octopus is a no miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!NumberOneVIPDined on 10/12/2014Everything was great, food + drinks + service. Its a fun lively atmosphere, awesome outdoor seating with the nice (cooler) weather. The people are super friendly here.Special Features:
- First timing tryingsneakepete20Dined on 10/5/2014Went for brunch recently. First time ever. Made reservations and still waited about 25 minutes for our table to be ready. Once seated it was another wait for someone to come around just to fill up the water glasses. Started with the charcuterie platter. Not bad but a little on the small side if you're sharing with more than 2 people. For the entrees our table ordered the French Toast, enjoyed. Crab Omelette, enjoyed. Duck Hash and Fried Duck Egg, liked. Last one was the Shrimp n Grits. Flavors were fantastic but not enough grits served with the dish. I like grits a lot. Overall a good experience. Loved the feel and decor of the place. Especially the herb garden out on the courtyard. I would definitely give them another try.Special Features:
- It was no worth thw waitInthefieldDined on 9/27/2014My reservation was made for 9:30pm. We got ther at 9:10pm. We got sat at 10:20pm. Adter teceived the appetizers before than the bread (biscuits) and at the se time of the champagne. The appetizers were really good but nothing new or different. Main courses took for ever, Then my friends got their food first and 8min after i got my burger. It was no worth to wait so long ofr the table and then for the food. Decor very nices, thenfood ok, nothing new in Miami and the service wasnt bad but it was no right.Special Features:
- Oak TavernJDC07Dined on 9/19/2014Came in for my birthday. We were late 30min due to the weather , I call ahead to let them know, very accommodating. Everything we ordered was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sister to river oyster barBigG5VIPDined on 9/17/2014Overall the dining experience was excellent. Started with the grilled octopus, ver good. Entrees were Bronzino, short ribs and a strip steak. All were most delicious. Only problem is the entree menu is VERY limited, which is the only reason I would not go out my way to dine here again
- Thank You, Oak Tavern!PoochyDined on 9/13/2014Had an amazing time!! Amazing menu and Miami Spice. Took my parents there for their 21rst wedding anniversary and after a delicious dinner (must order the skirt steak and the pot de creme), I realized that Oak Tavern is the old "The District" where I used to party in college! I would recommend this restaurant to everyone!Special Features:
- NEW LOVE IN DISTRICTDutch17Dined on 9/12/2014Great food, great service , can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGNINO2020Dined on 9/7/2014The Food is the star of the restaurant, simply delicious! menu is truly inovated and quality of products is superb!! I am not a drinker but if you are in the mood for one please order the Frida Khalo, in my opinion is more than a drink. it's an experience. Love the restaurant for Dinner and Brunch.....There, charcuterie is doing right!! as well as the Cheese board a must have! lastly, the Sticky Cinamom Buns are awesonme! Not too sweet not too heavy. it's my favorite place now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendsouthfloridatransplantVIPDined on 9/6/2014Used Miami Spice as opportunity to try Oak Tavern. Wonderful in all respects. Every dish that we selected from the spice menu was delicious and generous. Very large party at nearby table but we were not ignored or inconvenienced in any way; service was excellent. Will definitely return for regular menu and will add to our list of recommendations for out-of-town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for LunchtrigeekVIPDined on 9/5/2014Interesting menu with a variety of seafood dishes and some steak/burger items as well. Ambience was nice for business lunch as it you are not rushed. A nice relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good food at Reasonable PricesPhilSommelierVIPDined on 9/5/2014We went for Miami Spice lunch but decided to order off the regular menu since prices are reasonable and we're not big on dessert. I had oysters $15 for 1/2 dozen and the grilled shrimp country salad $14, both were ok, but my dining partner raved about his Kale salad with apple, almonds, frisee and blue cheese vinagrette $8, followed by his fish of the day $18 which he though was excellent. Wine prices are fair, we had a bottle of Mulderbosch Chenin Blanc for only $30, $15 is retail, would be $50+ on South Beach.
- Couldn't have done moreOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2014The staff at the oak tavern are great. From the welcome to the goodbye. The food is rustic, elegant and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodAwesomeDined on 8/26/2014the best feature of this restaurant is the service. The food is outstanding, but the service is superb. I love the valet parking at the door, and the beautiful courtyard.Special Features:
- Dined 08/13/2014AleNinoDined on 8/13/2014Excellent service. Attractive spot. Very interesting menu, outstanding Rabbit/ Will be going back.Special Features:
- Design DinnersobepsychVIPDined on 8/10/2014Inventive fish dishes and very lovely service. Went went on a quiet night but enjoyed being in this interesting neighborhood.Special Features:
- likeit1Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent service. Attractive spot. Very interesting menu. Will be going back.Special Features:
- Slow serviceAlexTDined on 8/6/2014I had tried to eat at this restaurant a couple of times but was usually full when I had gone. This time I reserved. It had been recommended to me by friends. Ambience is nice inside and out. Took some visitors from out of town with us. The food was good but the service was extremely slow from the beginning. It took over 10 minutes for the waiter to come greet us and offer us something to drink. The drinks and appetizers were slow to come out. The music in the background was very loud. I was very disappointed. First and last time to visit this restaurant.Special Features:
- lblbVIPDined on 8/5/2014outstanding lamb...despite it being slightly overcookedSpecial Features:
- Cool place for brunchToteVIPDined on 8/3/2014Miami is full of places for tourists and I love finding places for locals. A friend recommended this restaurant even though she has only been there for happy hour and I'm glad she did. We went for brunch and I love it. All their meals have a twist, so foodies will love it. Me and a friend both ordered the eggs Benedict and they were delicious (a little spicy for me but I liked it anyway). The twist was kale and pulled pork. Simply amazing. My husband had the steak and eggs and he loved it. I only tried his potatoes and they were super good. For desert, we share the french toasts as the waiter suggested. They loved it, but I didn't because I don't like coconut, but that's just my personal taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunch!rabbitfoodieDined on 8/3/2014Came for an early brunch this past weekend, on a tip from Yelp, and was totally blown away. The service was superb, the servers extremely attentive (never was there a half-empty or warm glass of water) and knowledgeable about the food. The food was exceptional. Definitely get the sticky buns! Out of this world.Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/30/2014All the food was really good. The Lamb Meatball was a little dry, but the flavors were all there. Amazing pasta small plates - the anglonotti and gnocchi were amazing!!! We also had the steak and scallop large plates -- divine! The suckling pig was good -- but not as strong as the steak and scallop entrees! I will be back -- wine list is fantastic and service was great! A must do -- and go to share -- you get to try more things that way!Special Features:
- service was not goodbernardoDined on 7/26/2014Food very good Service was not good enough I like itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing and deliciousjoeyVIPDined on 7/26/2014We ordered all small plates and shared among the 4 of us. Everything was great, priced well and good portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 155 reviews are from the Oak Tavern reviews archive.
- A great find in the Design DistrictLuisVIPDined on 7/19/2014First time at Oak Tavern. We showed up at about 9:30 for a 10:00 PM reservation and were greeted by two beautiful girls at the front desk - very friendly and accommodating. We were offered a table outside right away or wait for an inside table - we chose to wait and had drinks at the bar. Very friendly atmosphere and a great bartender. At about 10:15 we walked back to the front desk and they had a table ready for us - a great corner booth. The waitress was great, the food was eclectic and very well prepared. We had appetizers - the lamb meatballs and cod croquettes were wonderful, large plates - lamb chops and red snapper - and dessert - cherry pie - with a bottle of wine - highly recommended and not expensive either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food approach in Midtownpancho65Dined on 7/19/2014Since Michael's Genuine started, quite a few restaurants have copied the concept, with more or less success. Oak Tavern is definitely a concept restaurant which does its job well. The ambience is clean and pleasant without overdoing it, service is impecable, and the food was very good. The apperizers are vey small, but delicious, and the entrees, albeit also on the small size, perfectly presented and quite filling. All in all a pleasant experience, with one little critic, if I may: why do restaurants in general, including this one, gouge its patrons with way overpriced alcoholic drinks? I know this is a great money maker, but if the prices were a bit more "reasonable" than the competition, more patrons would go and consume more!Special Features:
- AMAZINGlorddillonDined on 7/19/2014fresh ingredients, innovative dishes, cool ambiance, great service - hands down the best place for brunch, lunch and dinner!! MY FAVORITE SPOT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatmariagonzaVIPDined on 7/18/2014the food was amazing the service too i love that place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasure dining thereLovetoeatoutVIPDined on 7/11/2014We always feel good when we are there. Great menu, tasty food, great atmosphere either inside or outside, and always great hospitality. Prices very reasonable. The kale salad was very tasty, as well as the octopus, sea urchin, sea scallops and salmon. Can't ask for tastier food. The biscuits are addictive! We have always found that the manager, Gary, to be extremely professional, sharp and very personable. We are looking foward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014Food service and ambiance, the old Piccadilly place has been reborn and is top notch, service by our French waiter was fantastic, food was super!Special Features:
- marsVIPDined on 6/28/2014the food and service are excellent. The pork and the short ribs are among the best I have eaten. The only thing to watch out for is that it can be a bit noisy..especially inside...if you want a quiet place, this is not for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pot de creme forever!LinkkageDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant is a longtime favorite of mine. The Pot de creme is something I talk about to everyone. I was a bit disappointed when I noticed that they had taken some favorites off the menu and limited the choices and raised the prices a bit. Also, the vegatarian options are a bit limited. I still love the place though and will have to return for the dessert and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- adanVIPDined on 6/27/2014Excellent food and reasonably priced outdoor dinning spot. Well curated wine list and top pick from menu was the bone marrow. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KITCHEN & BAR: Delivery:TerribileNotthebestDined on 6/21/2014Very noise beyond a level to have a conversation with out yelling! Food tastes are good but our order was not all delivered Ordered wine was never delivered VERY DISAPPOINTING! There are a lot better places to enjoy a night out