690 Newport Center Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oakgrillnb.com/
- Phone: 9497604920x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily from 6:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Daily from 11:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Sunday - Thursday from 5:00 - 10:00 p.m.
Friday - Saturday from 5:00 - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Marc Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Plan an intimate gathering for a more customized dining experience in one of two private dining rooms ― featuring a private space that adjoins the deck with floor-to-ceiling windows― to celebrate your group from 4 to 12 guests. For more information, please contact Miguel Rodriguez-Vidal at 949.892.0258.
- Special Events: Plan an intimate gathering for a more customized dining experience in one of two private dining rooms ― featuring a private space that adjoins the deck with floor-to-ceiling windows― to celebrate your group from 4 to 12 guests. For more information, please contact Miguel Rodriguez-Vidal at 949.892.0258.
A word from Oak Grill
Oak Grill is a true Newport Beach original. This exciting new dining destination combines influences from around the globe, as well as the American south resulting in an inspired taste you cannot miss. Our specially curated wine, beer and spirits programs, along with our polished and knowledgeable service team's attention to detail make Oak Grill the center of relaxed coastal luxury.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Oak Grill - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Oak Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (60)great for lunch (32)special occasion (30)fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (20)good for groups (19)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (15)late-night find (14)great for brunch (12)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Great Place!NeighborsDined on 9/17/2014This was my 4th time to the Oak Grill. Great outdoor ambiance and the food is good too. Love the pork chop for dinner! BUT the corkage fee of $30.00 is outrageous!!!!!Special Features:
- not the samejj1010VIPDined on 9/6/2014This new restaurant is definitely not the four seasons...
- very disappointedlovetoeatDined on 9/5/2014We were sitted over 1 hour after our appointed time. The food was ok definitely over priced for the amount of food. And the service was so so do damn slow....Special Features:
- A gem in Newport BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a birthday dinner at the Oak Grill and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it was. Service was spot-on, the venue is breathtaking, especially if you sit outdoors. This is a big restaurant, but you don't get that feeling. No hustle, bustle …no frantic servers running around. You can actually talk and hear at the Grill. What a concept!! The food was delish….each course beautifully presented and so tasty. Can you ask for anything more?? Just wish it was closer to where we live. Can't wait for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic evening under the starsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Elegant setting . Great wait staff. Really listen to you . Food was awesome. Especially soft shell crab special. Going back soon .Special Features:
- diamondsNheelsDined on 8/28/2014The ambiance was amazing. ... Food & Presentation was fantastic. ...Our server Genalyn was genuine in her recommendation and attentive to our every needsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaDined on 8/26/2014My first visit for lunch as well as my guest. I loved it! Food was exceptional and so was the service. And you are right next door! I will definitely come back and have been telling all my friends and co-workers about the Oak Grill!Special Features:
- On the fenceTrendyDiningDined on 8/23/2014The food was great...the service was terrible. Took us 15 minutes to receive water for the table. Alrhough we relieved bread shortly after the water, we never received a plate to serve ourselves the bread. Our appetizers came before we were even served our drinks. We ordered the grilled calamari which was fantastic. Our drinks finally came, as well as our food. My martini was terrible. Not chilled, not mixed well, no olives. We ordered the lobster Cobb salad and the steak. Both extremely delicious. Seems like the only thing this place has is a great chef.....Special Features:
- CathyDined on 8/19/2014Had a great lunch and our server was the best !! I would come back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TIMWDined on 8/18/2014We went there for my birthday. Service was great and the food better. Outside seating was terriric.Special Features:
- Back AgainLovetodineVIPDined on 8/16/2014This our second time at the new Oak Grill. We were just as pleased this time as last. This becoming our favorite up scale restaurant in the OC. The food is excellent. Do not miss the flat bread pizza to start with. Service is professional and very attentive. We had recommended the restaurant to friends who just happened to be there when we were. They came over to thank us for the reservation. Tip reserve a table on the patio.Special Features:
- Great place!AndreaDined on 8/15/2014We lived blocks away, we went for the first time on Friday, and we were very surprised how awesome the place looked after the remodeled!!!! Loved the area outside with the huge trees and the lights on the trees, the food was delicious, the service was superb! Denny was our waiter and he was knowledgeable, very polite and friendly at the same time! We went back on Sunday for lunch, to check out the lunch menu, and it was a hit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting a Mastro's experienceOuteverynighttoeatVIPDined on 8/14/2014Does not compare, food was great, but just a nicer Hotel type restaurant.....I was expecting a lot more since the Mgmt team came from Mastros and Mortons , but the look and feel of the restaurant look like a nice lunch spot.Special Features:
- LoveGoodFoodDined on 8/14/2014Been there twice now and LOVE it. Food from that young chef is amazingly good. Love the outdoor space.Special Features:
- Limited MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Wonderful outdoor patio. Food selection was interesting but limited. Nice lunch. Look forward to trying the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potentialnoneDined on 8/8/2014An OK location for the guest in the hotel. But to attract outside guest and keep them returning they need to have a first class restaurant to go along with the first class hotel. The food was good but the service very slow. The food came out cold.(a real NO NO!) Our waiter was pleasant but you could tell the staff lacked training. Additional training, and better leadership, (No one looked to be in charge), I think this spot could be a place to remember.Special Features:
- LenaVIPDined on 8/7/2014Great prices, good food and nice outdoor dining area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014My guest lunch was very good, my lobster salad was just off ... I'm sorry!Special Features:
- food excellent, service goodOakgrillDined on 7/30/2014Food was outstanding. Waiters were very cordial, but it took a while for food items to come from the kitchenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming back for dinnerFabFoodVIPDined on 7/30/2014First time here for lunch and definitely coming back for dinner. Service was a little slow and we weren't attended to by the same people at all times. The food was great and I am looking forward to trying it for dinner. You have to request bread service, but it is worth it. Amazing bread and butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedLovetodineVIPDined on 7/26/2014We were delighted to find the this so good. The re-model of the restaurant and bar were delightful. It is hip and modern but not to the extremes that some other recent new restaurants have. This one is fun but not so loud you can't converse. The food is excellent and interesting. It is also priced at a reasonable level-- for Newport Beach that is. The service is excellent. Our server was well informed, friendly and very helpful. We cannot wait to return. Tip dine on the patio. The only negative was that the folks at the hostess desk seemed confused, did not read out OpenTable request and had to be reminded we were waiting for a table. They just need more training on how to treat customers. Overall it was wonderful.Special Features:
- For the Lamborghini setjb2bVIPDined on 7/25/2014There were a dozen Lamborghinis and Ferraris in the valet. Thumping rave music in the lounge. Tiny miniskirts everywhere. And the food's just average hotel food, nothing more, nothing less. If you're staying in the hotel, it's probably a good dinner when you're tired. But it's not worth going to otherwise.
- Great Experience All AroundBruxsieDined on 7/23/2014Oak Grill has an eclectic menu within California Cuisine. Shared appetizers were all delectable, flat breads and ahi tartare shined. Chef Marc's watermelon and beet salad was a refreshing palate cleanser and truly surprised us all with the burst of flavors. The chef wowed us again on the main course, as we all sampled each others plates. Whether it was the Halibut, Short Ribs, Rib-eye or the Filet Mignon, every bite was devoured. Cheers to this new hot spot. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Good Service,DaveSDined on 7/23/2014What a great place to eat, good location, free valet parking at the hotel was nice which saved on the parking drama, our Food was delivered with in a reasonable time after we ordered, Our waiter was attentive but not pushy and he made some very good suggestions on what to order. The over all cost to value was very reasonable, the restaurant seemed full but we did not feel crowded or rushed which was also nice, i would suggest a reservation as it appeared there was a wait for a table on a Wednesday also A+ on the people watching,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 7/19/2014Excellent atmosphere, even with reservation had to wait for table, O.K. service, food selection O.K.Special Features:
- Great New Offering in Newport BeachMbuziDined on 7/19/2014A great new addition to the Orange County upscale dining scene, an evening dinner on the outside patio should not be missed. After extensive renovations the dining room and patio have been transformed into warm, chic, contemporary spaces with great lighting and relaxed ambiance. That being said, while the remodel is great, more importantly the food does not disappoint. You can tell Chef Johnson and his team care about each plate coming out of the back of the house. The menu is clean, coastal, approachable and delicious. Don't miss the chorizo flatbread, calamari and scallops. Nevertheless, top it all of with a great selection of cocktails and wine and you can be sure I'll be adding this to my weekly rotation.Special Features:
- DOC1DOC1VIPDined on 7/19/2014NEW RESTAURANT IN THE ISLAND HOTEL WITH A NICE AMBIENCE. PATIO A NICE ADDITION WITH BEAUTIFUL TREES. THE MENU WAS GOOD BUT LIMITED. LOOK FORWARD TO A BRUNCH OPTION. THE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AND FLATBREADS WERE VERY GOOD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Setting.SouthernBellaDined on 7/16/2014Very accommodating with our large group. Our waitress deserves special praise for her never faltering smile, dealing with 8 chatty women is difficult, and she was a delight. Food was good, not great, but everyone seemed pleased with their choices. One negative is the decor. While the Aqua Lounge is gorgeous, and I hope to try it soon, the dining room was very dated and cold in appearance. Where were the beautiful floral arrangements? Where was the color? Table Cloths? The decor was mentioned by all as being a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sexy, sophisticated, great cuisineLoriFVIPDined on 7/12/2014Finally a large outdoor seating area in OC that is beautiful and elegant. General Manager, Miguel Rodriguez Vidal, formerly of Mastros and Red O, has really outdone himself this time. The food is farm to table fresh and delicious, yet creative and hearty. The watermelon and beet salad, fried green tomatoes, and lobster chopped salad are beautiful and flavorful, and the pork chop and halibut are both perfectly prepared. You must try one of the unique, freshly mixed cocktails offerings, like the Boulevardier, made with The Duke Bouban Whiskey. After dinner, head next door to Aqua Lounge, the completely remodeled lounge of the Island Hotel, for a lively crowd, great tunes spun by the resident DJ, and fun people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad StartOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014The service was just plain BAD, the food was very average and the ambiance was very hotel like. I realize they are new but they definitely need new servers without question and the food was just so AVERAGE at best which is by far my bigger concern....
- great food and outdoor patioGreatDateSpotVIPDined on 7/10/2014loved everything we had to eat (halibut; salmon; pineapple butter cake). liked the lunch menu but would have liked more variety for appetizers. they were very accommodating. they didn't have a cheese plate on the lunch menu but they had the chef put one together for us. our server was very attentive and courteous. he was unable to assist us in picking out a bottle of wine but did bring someone over who helped us with that (and it ended up being a great recommendation!). loved sitting on the patio. looks like it would be gorgeous at night with the lanterns hanging from the trees!Special Features:
- Well DoneHanaleiMoonDined on 7/9/2014A great new addition to Newport dining. We've been twice for dinner in the last week. Great outdoor dining patio under the large trees with lanterns. Has a Napa feel. Food was fantastic. Try the roasted Alaskan Halibut, the Pork Chop or the Shirt Ribs. Nice twist on their Caesar Salad. Tip. Book a last minute hotel room using the Hotel Tonight App and get a major discount on a very nice room and enjoy the jacuzzi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeronimoDined on 7/9/2014Great atmosphere. The Island Hotel is new and improved. Good service. Amazing setting; relaxed elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food:so-soMangiaBeneDined on 7/9/2014Granted they have been open officially for a week. Service is friendly but slow, food also uneven-nothing to rave about. The setting is lovely. Island Hotel did a nice job updating the decor and feel of their dining room. The patio is the place to be...which makes up for the food, which isn't bad, just not great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak Grill diningpandgliDined on 7/8/2014We had reservations and we were offered a table in the back by the corner. I asked for another table. The restaurant was not busy so why try and put us in the back. Took a while for the server to come, but when he did he was very attentive and knowageble. I had the baby kale salad, the feta cheese was to peppery, as was the bacon. Then the dressing was spicy. The salad just didn't come together. The sea bass was vey good, but the quina had to much of an orange taste and to many dried cranberries in it. The scallops were cooked properly, but the beans just didn't go with them.Special Features:
- Great New SpotRichardDined on 7/5/2014beautiful outdoor seating with mature garden & trees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Remodel at the Oak Grill was long overdue. Very dissapointed in the service and food. Party of 4. Greeted by the staff including the new manager. The manager never circulated the restaurant. complimentary fried green tomatoes were bitter and hard. Got the salmon entree and they mixed up my order for my friend who had the same. Had to wait:( Friend Got the rib eye with bordelaise which was thin and so so. The whole experience was rather blase instead of amazing. Would not go back except maybe for lunch. Patio looks very chic. Need to work on service, staff and change up the menu. Seems like the same as previous restaurant. Nothing stood out. Although the waiter was very friendly he seemed to lack professional skills. Very kind though.Special Features:
- Oak grill is solidserious500VIPDined on 7/4/2014What a great new restaurat casual yet upscale service and food have had 2 lunches and 3 dinners in four days Chef Mark came from Mastro!s. His risotto with crab and the rib chop not to be missed Save room for the pineapple butter cake We are Newport Beach locals and this is our new hangout. Try to dine on the deck ambiance fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedrarelydoreviewsDined on 7/4/2014Excellent food and service. Ambience was a nice balance between formal and informal. Recognizing that the large screen over the bar was causing some distraction (one of those glitches that still need to be fixed), Annie paused to chat and shared some Hawaii stories. Later she brought additional blue cheese stuffed olives when she recognized my addiction. Only constructive comment relates to the dinner plates. Lovely shape but with high edges on the side and low in front, a perfect opportunity for a fork or knife to slip right into your lap -- and yes, it did, onto a silk blouse. No question, however, that this will become a very busy place as everyone catches on to the Island Hotel's newest restaurant. We will be back!Special Features:
- The following 30 reviews are from the Oak Grill reviews archive.
- Our family dines out mostOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Our family dines out most major holidays. Our experience at your hotel restaurant was outstanding! We each one commented on the food, the service and for Christmas Day the unbelievable attention by staff. The Hotel was decorated beautifully the grounds were perfect and the puppies in the lobby encouraged us (great dog lovers) that this in fact should become our "new" go to location for gatherings. Thank you again for a fantastic Christmas Day experience.Special Features: