O3 Bistro & Lounge
524 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
O3 Bistro & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.o3restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4159349800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Sunday 11am to 3:00pm
Monday - Sunday 3pm to 10:30pm
Monday – Friday 4pm to 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Thai, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music and DJ available for special weekend events (call restaurant for details)
- Special Events: Please contact email@example.com for special events.
A word from O3 Bistro & Lounge
O3 Bistro & Lounge strives to bring you an unforgettable experience through great food, a relaxing environment and welcoming service. With our contemporary and chic décor, O3 offers a stimulating dining environment that couples seamlessly with the delectable cuisine. In addition to an outstanding dining and social experience for our patrons, O3 constantly strives to provide the highest quality of food. We proudly serve local organic produce, ecologically and humanely raised meats, game and poultry. Only the best ingredients are used. Make your reservations today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
O3 Bistro & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)special occasion (8)hot spot (6)romantic (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- O3 nice location next to cpucOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Nice Thai resturant on Van Ness near City Hall and CPUC. Very good lunch meal. Very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchOldenGoldieDined on 8/15/2014There were 4 of us for lunch, and we ordered an appetizer, a soup, a salad, and an entree. It was the perfect amount of food, but I should mention that we are all older and don't have huge appetites. All the food was really good, but our favorite was the crispy shrimp rolls and the yellow curry with chicken. Even at "medium" hot, the papaya salad was a little hotter than we like. Suggest getting it "mild" if you are not used to hot pepper. All the staff was very attentive. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Friendly service.kathyVIPDined on 7/24/2014Went here prior to the symphony . Friendly helpful staff. Good suggestions. Liked the pad Thai . Lamb was excellent though their mild can be spicier than I'm used to. My new favorite per show place. Definitely get the Happy hour appetizersSpecial Features:
- Pre show spotkathyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Fun place. Accommodating staff. Tasty food, which can be spicey. There was a work party during the first part of my dinner- got pretty noisy. Requested a change in location, and it was quickly done. Terrific place for a performance meal, 1 block from the opera house and symphoneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmmmpaulonceDined on 7/19/2014The food was everything Yelp said it would be. The service was so-so, but the food was right on the money. I got a salmon pot curry thats spicy level was set to medium and it was perfect! The shrimp fried rolls were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE SERVICE...FAIL!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014We had reservations at 6pm. When we arrived there were about 4 other tables in our section (not busy at all). After we were seated no one ever came to take our drink orders or anything. Not even to say I'll be right with you...I mean NOTHING!! After 20+ minutes of waiting, I finally said something to the lady running around and she said someone will be right there. Another 10 minutes passed before we gave up and walked out. I have to also mention that while we waited, there was very little action at the other tables around us.
- Slowwwww servicesingyDined on 7/8/2014The food was good however service was terrible. Only 2 girls working the whole restaurant. They are listed on the SF Opera website - so why not make sure you have enough staff to cover when a performance night
- 03 Bistro dinner reviewsnodinehereDined on 7/5/2014The spicy eggplant was tasteless and the brown rice wasn't good either. I would not recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great foodMorticiaDined on 7/3/2014Since I work in the area I'm lucky I get to come to this restaurant pretty often. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu. The staff is friendly, the place is clean and roomy and for an hour I can forget it's in the Civic Center area. They have a full bar too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost thereHubbieDined on 7/2/2014We had 4 dishes; 3 were excellent: Appetizer platter, Mango salad, Coconut shrimp curry. Unfortunately, the chicken was tough and not tender in the Cashew Chicken dish, although the sauce was fine. The service was attentive and anticipated needs. The atmosphere was modern chic. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhoobahDined on 6/28/2014As first time visitors we had a wonderful experience. The food was simply splendid. The flavors were astonishing. Portions were very generous. Service was excellent. The food was the best I have had since my visit to Thailand. 03 is the "go to" restaurant for splendid Thai food in SF. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crispanVIPDined on 6/26/2014Delicious Thai food, much better than the usual run of dishes. An excellent selection and friendly service, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Delicious, Close to Orpheum, etc.KJSFVIPDined on 6/25/2014We found this restaurant because we had a group of six and wanted to eat around 5:30 nefar the Orpheum. We could not get a reservation at any of the Hayes Street restaurants we tried. So we went here. It was an easy walk to the Orpheum and to Civic Center BART. The food was very good and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- ybrob24VIPDined on 6/21/2014Food was solid and very good service. Clearly optimized for the show crowd
- Very good Thai food! Large portionssrreviewerDined on 6/21/2014We ate dinner at O3 Bistro before the opera on a Saturday night. We were seated right away and received good service. I thought the food was very good. We had papaya salad, a red curry dish and the Spicy Dice. Great flavors, though the salad was a little salty for my taste. The service was good and they were happy to modify the spiciness of the food for us. The only real negative thing was that the my first two choices of wine on their list were out so I went with my third choice. It was not good at all. It had not been stored well. My partners wine did not taste good either so I would avoid wine there and have one of their pretty cocktails.
- Excellent!XyrkolDined on 6/21/2014My crab fried rice was delicious and my chicken satay was perfectly done. My friend's seafood soup was wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has changed in the last yearOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014I preferred this restaurant when it was more of an Asian fusion. Now it is strictly Thai. I love Thai food and this is fairly good Thai food. I liked the Chicken larb wrap, the pad see ew, but we ordered a dish the waitress recommended the Thai "Southern Style" Beef. The meat was very tough. Flavor if the dish was good but you really couldn't enjoy because of the poor quality of the meat. The two people waiting at our table were very nice but one was fairly new. The location is convenient to go to the Opera afterwards.
- Wash windowsLollyDined on 6/11/2014Do that! and wash the lovely glass vases in the entry.Special Features:
- Good pre-concert restaurantHungryDined on 6/7/2014Our roast duck curry (spicy) and mixed seafood dish were both delicious. Service was attentive and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-concert dinnerMizKatzVIPDined on 6/3/2014We dined here for the first time before going to the opera. The decor and ambiance are lovely -- an interesting transition from the former California Pizza Kitchen. We shared the fresh spring rolls, spicy eggplant and pumpkin curry with shrimp, and one order of coconut rice. Everything tasted fresh and delicious. My only issue with the pumpkin curry is that it was served in a hollowed-out and carved kabocha squash, and while it was a very artistic presentation, I could only think of 'food waste' -- something that needs to be addressed as more people become food-insecure. However, I do recommend this restaurant and will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Excellent food at affordable pricesFoodEDined on 5/29/2014If you like Thai food this is the place. Great before symphony or opera as it is very conveniently located in the Civic Center area.Special Features:
- after the shows startOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014A lovely experience, and very available after the Ballet etc starts. food and presentation very nice, with good service. Bar could use a little professional tuning up, i.e an experienced bartender.Special Features:
- Perfect for Ballet NightluvSFlifeDined on 5/9/2014O3 is the perfect spot for a good dinner before the ballet, the opera, or the symphony. It is conveniently located a block away from the venues and offers efficient service and good food. I have always had a good experience in the restaurant. Very friendly and efficient staff and food that is priced well and delicious.Special Features:
- Pre-Show DiningBonvivantDined on 5/3/2014O3 is very close to the symphony, ballet, and opera venues. The staff was attentive and the food arrived without too much of a time lapse. When our server couldn't identify the vintner of the house wine, she got the information for us before we ordered, and she accurately identified the level of the spicyness in our orders. We had sizzling seafood, papaya salad, and a pumpkin curry with 2 kinds of rice. The food was good; my only objections was that the pumpkin was undercooked, but not enough to completely undermine the dish. This was my second visit and I would still recommend 03, especially for a pre-performance meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 263 reviews are from the O3 Bistro & Lounge reviews archive.
- Not a good placeSfo13Dined on 4/16/2014This place is close to Tenderloin, not a good place to have dinner.Special Features:
- Too noisyoakladyVIPDined on 4/11/2014They were having some kind of office party in one half of the restaurant but still serving dinner in the other half. The noise was deafining and we almost left. The service was not great, either, and the food was slow coming out. This is my second time here and I will not return
- The service was prompt, efficiency,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2014The service was prompt, efficiency, but friendly. The food was delivered in a timely manner and with attention to the timing we wanted for the different courses. The food was very good and nicely presented. I asked for the medium spice level, but I found that was a bit too hot. Next time I'll ask for a milder spice level. Given some of the reviews especially about the level of service, I was anticipating problems, but the overall dining experience was really quite good.Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014Food was really good. But the waitresses were really really slow... Took over a half our to get a drink. And the bathrooms are ridiculous. You have to walk through a weird alley way with creepy construction guys there. Did not like that. Happy hour menu online was not the same as the happy hour they had in the restaurant or bar. That was annoying because I had planned out what I wanted ahead of time because we were in a rush. The mussels they served made our table smell like a homeless man which was gross and luckily we were almost done so we could leave. A for the food and the location but other than that it was mediocre. Probably won't go back.
- Good for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2014Decent bar at good prices. Food was decent and fast but service was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceDisappointedDined on 3/28/2014The service was so bad it was annoying. Appetizers were tasteless and greasy - chicken wings and shrimp. My lamb was a hockey puck, companion's pork was so hot it was uneatable. Why are there TV's everywhere - totally doesn't go with the ambience, which is nice? Nope - not for me.
- Big Portions for LunchDavenMarquishaDined on 3/21/2014We recently celebrated a retirement/birthday lunch at O3, and had a very good time. The food came up quickly, was hot, and the portion sizes were huge. So come hungry for lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/15/2014I attended O3 wih a group of friend's prior to a show. While th food was good the servie was poor. Our beverages were not refilled, this included water. We brough bottles of wine and was charged a corkage fee but had to pour our own bottles. Needless to say, I will not return to the establishmet
- Unexpectedly terrific foodGustyVIPDined on 3/11/2014We were there at 11:00 a.m. for a very early lunch, not quite sure what to expect. What we didn't expect, though, was the freshness of the food, the abundance of food on the plate, the wonderful seasonings, the serene atmosphere. This is a bistro to be highly recommended for any occasion, but especially before or after a performance at the nearby venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pre-concert spot for dinnerchaia9Dined on 3/10/2014Pleasant ambiance, good food and service and convenient for pre-concert activities near civic center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate & inexperiencedDinerSFVIPDined on 3/7/2014Having been here several times, I can only say that things have gone downhill. Mostly around the service, knowledge, experience and front of the house. The food is still good, but pricey for the level of service that comes with it. From the host to the bartender to our server, I felt like I was at a kids place vs. a nicer restaurant where our bill was $110. Our server knew nothing about the menu, made no attempt to explain anything when we asked and never showed up after food was placed at our table. We weren't able to find anyone to order a second drink, desert was not offered, and it was as if we just needed to leave-so we did! For the area & for the decent food, this is a good place, but don't expect experienced staff or quality service.
- Beautiful place, very good foodCharVIPDined on 2/28/2014Gorgeous modern place. Lots of choices on menu. Everything we ate was very good. (Not exceptional enough for 5 stars -- but no complaints.) Service staff tried hard -- some problems with English. Very convenient to Davies Hall and the Opera House. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- LackingDnkyDined on 2/22/2014Shocked to see the host wearing jeans and an untucked shirt. Fish sauce smell wafted through the air. Not pleasant. The waitresses were very sweet, however jeans should be banned from a restaurant that is trying to be top notch. The food was okay. Portions are large. Honey Duck was a huge disappointment. Had that previously cooked and warmed up poultry flavor. Yellow curry was okay. NASTY restrooms. Had to walk past the kitchen which was a tummy-turning sight. Not what I expected for a dinner before the symphony.
- Second visit-- still terrific foodMichelleVIPDined on 2/20/2014Everything out of that kitchen is exceptional and the portions are generous. My only "dings" on my first visit were that the wine pours were on the small side (they we're definitely bigger pours this time) and they had the tvs on in what otherwise was a swanky dining area(fortunately the tvs are only on in the bar now, not the dining area!) so everything was terrific. This is now our "go to" place any time we are going to Davies Hall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater spotchurdDined on 2/15/2014My husband and I both loved on our meal at O3, as did the folks sitting next to us...and we all had completely different things. The noodle soup was full of flavor and perfectly cooked strips of chicken breast. The pumpkin curry was more subtly flavored but also scrumptious. Presentation also was really nice, from a giant asymmetrical bowl for my noodle soup to the gourd in which my husband's curry was served. Decor was nice, but not stuffy. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive without being too in your face. One problem, though: two giant TV screens in the dining area. Fine for the bar, but the dining room? Really diminishes what's otherwise a very nice interior. Also, the location is very good for pre-Symphony or pre-Ballet dining.Special Features:
- tasty!cookiesDined on 2/14/2014We have dined here twice and loved the food. The husband says the duck noodle soup is the best he has ever had. The medium curries are delicious and full of tender chicken or seafood,and crispy veggies with broth rich with coconut milk flavor. Happy hour bar during the week seemed popular. We tried a desert of fried ice cream - basically a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream wrapped in a crispy, sugary dough that resembles a doughnut. What is not to like about doughnuts and ice cream? attentive service without hovering. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.