O3 Bistro & Lounge
524 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
O3 Bistro & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.o3restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4159349800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Sunday 11am to 3:00pm
Monday - Sunday 3pm to 10:30pm
Monday – Friday 4pm to 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Thai, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music and DJ available for special weekend events (call restaurant for details)
- Special Events: Please contact email@example.com for special events.
A word from O3 Bistro & Lounge
O3 Bistro & Lounge strives to bring you an unforgettable experience through great food, a relaxing environment and welcoming service. With our contemporary and chic décor, O3 offers a stimulating dining environment that couples seamlessly with the delectable cuisine. In addition to an outstanding dining and social experience for our patrons, O3 constantly strives to provide the highest quality of food. We proudly serve local organic produce, ecologically and humanely raised meats, game and poultry. Only the best ingredients are used. Make your reservations today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
O3 Bistro & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)special occasion (9)hot spot (8)romantic (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Is there a managerPhilVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was excellent. The servers were friendly and helpful when waved down. However there were too few servers and they appeared to work too hard and without organization. The crowd was almost entirely bound for the opera, symphony or the Orpheum. Everyone arrived and tried to leave at the same time. The restaurant seemed to be unprepared for what must be its normal routine.Special Features:
- Great flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014I've been twice and both times the food has been great. Good fusion of flavors in the menu's offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater goersClimbersDined on 9/27/2014This location of this place is fantastic...easy to get to any number of theaters and good food. I find the food to be authentic Thai food...it is good and tasty. However, the other night we were a party of four that arrived a 6p.m. in order to get to the theater by 8 p.m. The service was terribly slow and inefficient. My husband asked for a glass of wine repeatedly and never received it, we had to wait over an hour to receive our food. and the bill was calculated twice incorrectly. It was the 2nd time we had been there and really did enjoy the food. We will give them one more opportunity but if the service doesn't improve we won't frequent the bistro again.
- Delicious food!JessMCDined on 9/22/2014You have to try the Papaya Salad and the Pumpkin Curry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but nothing specialaleksandrovskDined on 9/20/2014They've done a very nice job with the design and occupy a really great corner of their building. Unfortunately it's not the best location and not the place you'd necessarily want to hang out on a Saturday night. The restaurant mostly caters to concert, theater, and symphony goers, but if you're looking to go to dinner beforehand I know I'd much rather go somewhere along Hayes St. (3 blocks away) where there is a bit more vibrancy. The food was good but, like the general atmosphere, was not especially inspiring. We did have a nice time but next time I'm in town for a concert I probably would choose to go elsewhere. Oh, and the bathroom was totally gross. It's a shared space with the rest of the building but still. Yuck.
- Will Be BackLarryVIPDined on 9/19/2014We decided to try O3 for a pre-theatre dinner despite being apprehensive after reading reviews submitted by other OT diners. The staff was attentive though not the most expedient. Perhaps not the fault of the table servers as much as the lack of urgency in the kitchen? The Pad See You with duck was awesome as was the salmon dish. The appetizer sampler left much to be desired. Consisted of mostly fried food (tofu, samosa, shrimp) and a couple of chicken skewers. Skip this dish. The place was pretty empty as diners left to make their 8PM curtain calls. If they were open later, we might have stopped back in for a nightcap.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kman25Dined on 9/10/2014It was ok. Nothing special. Quite reasonably priced with a nice enough menu.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/10/2014Went there as it was close to the opera and we wanted to attend the pre-opera lecture. Service started out a little slow but got better. I think they were training and communication was a little difficult. Aside from that the food was very tasty with unique flavors and sauces. The mango shrimp salad was a standout, it came in different levels of heat. spicy is really spicy. We both enjoyed our meals. Cocktails were just ok. As per my dinner mate. I would definitely go back for the unique flavors and closeness to the opera houseI would recommend this to a friend.
- A popular eatery for office workersVissidarteVIPDined on 9/10/2014from many of the Government buildings around Civic Center. The food is well prepared, and the menu is varied. Vegans, Vegetarians will delight in many of the offerings. The portions are large and prices most reasonable. There is a full bar which will serve the many opera and symphony attendees before or after an event. Parking is available in the Civic Center Underground Garage, 1 1/2 short blocks away. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for before-performance dinneroaklandronDined on 9/6/2014A very casual place for having a good meal before the symphony or opera.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJimboDined on 9/5/2014We had a terrific meal here before a symphony concert. My wife had the Trout with mango; I had the vegetarian Tom Yum which was wonderfully flavorful and a delicious vegetarian Pad Thai. Kudos for a Thai restaurant that serves a regular cup of coffee. Portions were generous. Our order was taken within 10 minutes and served timely. Had to work a bit to get the check, but no big deal. My wife and I both felt it was the best Thai meal we've ever had. O3 Bistro has earned a place in our Civic Center rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O3 nice location next to cpucTakawongDined on 8/27/2014Nice Thai resturant on Van Ness near City Hall and CPUC. Very good lunch meal. Very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchOldenGoldieDined on 8/15/2014There were 4 of us for lunch, and we ordered an appetizer, a soup, a salad, and an entree. It was the perfect amount of food, but I should mention that we are all older and don't have huge appetites. All the food was really good, but our favorite was the crispy shrimp rolls and the yellow curry with chicken. Even at "medium" hot, the papaya salad was a little hotter than we like. Suggest getting it "mild" if you are not used to hot pepper. All the staff was very attentive. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Friendly service.kathyVIPDined on 7/24/2014Went here prior to the symphony . Friendly helpful staff. Good suggestions. Liked the pad Thai . Lamb was excellent though their mild can be spicier than I'm used to. My new favorite per show place. Definitely get the Happy hour appetizersSpecial Features:
- Pre show spotkathyVIPDined on 7/22/2014Fun place. Accommodating staff. Tasty food, which can be spicey. There was a work party during the first part of my dinner- got pretty noisy. Requested a change in location, and it was quickly done. Terrific place for a performance meal, 1 block from the opera house and symphoneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmmmpaulonceDined on 7/19/2014The food was everything Yelp said it would be. The service was so-so, but the food was right on the money. I got a salmon pot curry thats spicy level was set to medium and it was perfect! The shrimp fried rolls were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE SERVICE...FAIL!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014We had reservations at 6pm. When we arrived there were about 4 other tables in our section (not busy at all). After we were seated no one ever came to take our drink orders or anything. Not even to say I'll be right with you...I mean NOTHING!! After 20+ minutes of waiting, I finally said something to the lady running around and she said someone will be right there. Another 10 minutes passed before we gave up and walked out. I have to also mention that while we waited, there was very little action at the other tables around us.
- Slowwwww servicesingyDined on 7/8/2014The food was good however service was terrible. Only 2 girls working the whole restaurant. They are listed on the SF Opera website - so why not make sure you have enough staff to cover when a performance night
- 03 Bistro dinner reviewsnodinehereDined on 7/5/2014The spicy eggplant was tasteless and the brown rice wasn't good either. I would not recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great foodMorticiaDined on 7/3/2014Since I work in the area I'm lucky I get to come to this restaurant pretty often. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu. The staff is friendly, the place is clean and roomy and for an hour I can forget it's in the Civic Center area. They have a full bar too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost thereHubbieDined on 7/2/2014We had 4 dishes; 3 were excellent: Appetizer platter, Mango salad, Coconut shrimp curry. Unfortunately, the chicken was tough and not tender in the Cashew Chicken dish, although the sauce was fine. The service was attentive and anticipated needs. The atmosphere was modern chic. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhoobahDined on 6/28/2014As first time visitors we had a wonderful experience. The food was simply splendid. The flavors were astonishing. Portions were very generous. Service was excellent. The food was the best I have had since my visit to Thailand. 03 is the "go to" restaurant for splendid Thai food in SF. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crispanVIPDined on 6/26/2014Delicious Thai food, much better than the usual run of dishes. An excellent selection and friendly service, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Delicious, Close to Orpheum, etc.KJSFVIPDined on 6/25/2014We found this restaurant because we had a group of six and wanted to eat around 5:30 nefar the Orpheum. We could not get a reservation at any of the Hayes Street restaurants we tried. So we went here. It was an easy walk to the Orpheum and to Civic Center BART. The food was very good and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- ybrob24VIPDined on 6/21/2014Food was solid and very good service. Clearly optimized for the show crowd
- Very good Thai food! Large portionssrreviewerDined on 6/21/2014We ate dinner at O3 Bistro before the opera on a Saturday night. We were seated right away and received good service. I thought the food was very good. We had papaya salad, a red curry dish and the Spicy Dice. Great flavors, though the salad was a little salty for my taste. The service was good and they were happy to modify the spiciness of the food for us. The only real negative thing was that the my first two choices of wine on their list were out so I went with my third choice. It was not good at all. It had not been stored well. My partners wine did not taste good either so I would avoid wine there and have one of their pretty cocktails.
- Excellent!XyrkolDined on 6/21/2014My crab fried rice was delicious and my chicken satay was perfectly done. My friend's seafood soup was wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has changed in the last yearOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014I preferred this restaurant when it was more of an Asian fusion. Now it is strictly Thai. I love Thai food and this is fairly good Thai food. I liked the Chicken larb wrap, the pad see ew, but we ordered a dish the waitress recommended the Thai "Southern Style" Beef. The meat was very tough. Flavor if the dish was good but you really couldn't enjoy because of the poor quality of the meat. The two people waiting at our table were very nice but one was fairly new. The location is convenient to go to the Opera afterwards.
- Wash windowsLollyDined on 6/11/2014Do that! and wash the lovely glass vases in the entry.Special Features:
- Good pre-concert restaurantHungryDined on 6/7/2014Our roast duck curry (spicy) and mixed seafood dish were both delicious. Service was attentive and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre-concert dinnerMizKatzVIPDined on 6/3/2014We dined here for the first time before going to the opera. The decor and ambiance are lovely -- an interesting transition from the former California Pizza Kitchen. We shared the fresh spring rolls, spicy eggplant and pumpkin curry with shrimp, and one order of coconut rice. Everything tasted fresh and delicious. My only issue with the pumpkin curry is that it was served in a hollowed-out and carved kabocha squash, and while it was a very artistic presentation, I could only think of 'food waste' -- something that needs to be addressed as more people become food-insecure. However, I do recommend this restaurant and will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- The following 267 reviews are from the O3 Bistro & Lounge reviews archive.
- Excellent food at affordable pricesFoodEDined on 5/29/2014If you like Thai food this is the place. Great before symphony or opera as it is very conveniently located in the Civic Center area.Special Features:
- after the shows startheavenlyDined on 5/10/2014A lovely experience, and very available after the Ballet etc starts. food and presentation very nice, with good service. Bar could use a little professional tuning up, i.e an experienced bartender.Special Features:
- Perfect for Ballet NightluvSFlifeDined on 5/9/2014O3 is the perfect spot for a good dinner before the ballet, the opera, or the symphony. It is conveniently located a block away from the venues and offers efficient service and good food. I have always had a good experience in the restaurant. Very friendly and efficient staff and food that is priced well and delicious.Special Features:
- Pre-Show DiningBonvivantDined on 5/3/2014O3 is very close to the symphony, ballet, and opera venues. The staff was attentive and the food arrived without too much of a time lapse. When our server couldn't identify the vintner of the house wine, she got the information for us before we ordered, and she accurately identified the level of the spicyness in our orders. We had sizzling seafood, papaya salad, and a pumpkin curry with 2 kinds of rice. The food was good; my only objections was that the pumpkin was undercooked, but not enough to completely undermine the dish. This was my second visit and I would still recommend 03, especially for a pre-performance meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good placeSfo13Dined on 4/16/2014This place is close to Tenderloin, not a good place to have dinner.Special Features:
- Too noisyoakladyVIPDined on 4/11/2014They were having some kind of office party in one half of the restaurant but still serving dinner in the other half. The noise was deafining and we almost left. The service was not great, either, and the food was slow coming out. This is my second time here and I will not return
- The service was prompt, efficiency,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2014The service was prompt, efficiency, but friendly. The food was delivered in a timely manner and with attention to the timing we wanted for the different courses. The food was very good and nicely presented. I asked for the medium spice level, but I found that was a bit too hot. Next time I'll ask for a milder spice level. Given some of the reviews especially about the level of service, I was anticipating problems, but the overall dining experience was really quite good.Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014Food was really good. But the waitresses were really really slow... Took over a half our to get a drink. And the bathrooms are ridiculous. You have to walk through a weird alley way with creepy construction guys there. Did not like that. Happy hour menu online was not the same as the happy hour they had in the restaurant or bar. That was annoying because I had planned out what I wanted ahead of time because we were in a rush. The mussels they served made our table smell like a homeless man which was gross and luckily we were almost done so we could leave. A for the food and the location but other than that it was mediocre. Probably won't go back.
- Good for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2014Decent bar at good prices. Food was decent and fast but service was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.