330 King Street W, TIFF Bell Lightbox
Toronto, ON M5V 3X2Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oliverbonacini.com/
- Phone: 6472884710x
- Hours of Operation:
Grab & Go: from 8am - 9pm daily
Monday: 11am - 10pm
Tuesday-Friday: 11am - 11pm
Saturday: 10am - 11pm
Sunday: 10am - 10pm
à la carte brunch from 10am - 3pm on weekends and holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, English
- Executive Chef: Michael Hay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our partner restaurant Luma and Oliver & Bonacini Events offer full off-site catering opportunities throughout the entire TIFF Bell Lightbox facility including the sixth floor event space and outdoor amphitheatre, with seating capacity for 150 or receptions for 250. For details, contact Oliver & Bonacini Events.
- Cross Street: King and John Streets
- Public Transit: By subway, exit at St. Andrew station on Yonge-University Spadina line, north west corner. Travel two blocks west on King Street. By streetcar, access the King St. (504) streetcar to John St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Paid parking is available underneath the TIFF Bell Lightbox and there are plenty of private lots within a short walking distance. Street parking can also be found nearby.
A word from O&B Canteen
O&B Canteen is a casual, fresh market café and “grab and go” counter located in the heart of Toronto’s entertainment district in the TIFF Bell Lightbox at King and John streets. Created by celebrated fine dining restaurateurs Peter Oliver and Chef Michael Bonacini, all of O&B Canteen’s offerings are chef-prepared with fresh ingredients, from housemade sandwiches and breakfast butties to roasted half chicken and steak frites. Pair it with one of O&B Canteen’s great value wines by the glass or beers. O&B Canteen’s casual marketplace atmosphere, together with its quick, cheerful service makes it the perfect destination, morning, noon and night. In season, enjoy a large streetside patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
O&B Canteen - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Entertainment District ›
O&B Canteen reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (14)great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (10)great for brunch (10)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- AmandaDined on 7/23/2014I always enjoy dining at Canteen, it is great location in the heart of the entertainment district and close to the Rogers centre. This time my group and I ate there before the Jays game. The service is always excellent. However the food this particular time wasn't my favourite. I always enjoy the interesting menu items they offer, but it just fell a bit short for me this visit. I would still go back because overall I love the venue.Special Features:
- Great Place to Bring a GroupFASI2014Dined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed a great dinner here with a group, after a tour of the adjoining TIFF Bell Lightbox space. Everyone left happy with their food (and dessert) choices! Great atmosphere and location, in the heart of the city's entertainment district. Nice indoor/outdoor, open concept dining space. Would certainly recommend if in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened???BornToDineOutVIPDined on 7/17/2014We enjoyed this restaurant when it first opened, and seemed to have gone downhill over the past year. Food is just OK. Ordered chocolate ganache for dessert and it was literally a slice of toast with a thin swipe of dark chocolate on it. seriously?? They waiter's response was "but it is sourdough bread". Ok fine- but the description on the menu should have been "slice of sourdough toast with barely any chocolate" so that expectations could be set. Manager brought us panna cotta to try and compensate, but it had way too much gelatin. Our friends did not finish their lemon tart - it was not good at all. This is the second time in 6 months we were disappointed and will not be back unless there are drastic changes.
- Food for summerliciousBilboBagginsDined on 7/14/2014Food that we got was not at all great, maybe the regular menu was better but summerlicious was not goodSpecial Features:
- Pricy, but PleasantsusgerDined on 7/13/2014The food is OK, but portions are not generous, and it's priced at the higher end, as are all the O n B restaurants. Very convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasure!ccttDined on 7/12/2014Love love love Canteen! The service is always relaxed and enjoyable. It's a fun, vibrant and delicious restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceBellamurDined on 7/9/2014Canteen was everything I expected it to be. Food was very interesting - had lots of flavour and not something I have tried before, it also had great vegetarian options. The atmosphere was good, a bit loud but that's expected of such a busy place. Amazing patio. We had a reservation for 6pm, but didn't get seated until 6:15 (we arrived on time, and told the hostess). We also felt rushed - the bill arrived before the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for summerliciousastroriderDined on 7/4/2014Almost no wait, great place to start Summerlicious. Quick service and great people.Special Features:
- Broken FrierFrenchFriesDined on 6/28/2014Was at O&B Canteen for dinner. We were seated but was not told of any of the daily specials. Took a while to get our drink order through. Upon having the server return to take our meal orders we began to order only to be told that the deep frier was broken. I understand that mechanical equipment goes on the fritz but it it would have been appreciated if we were told when we were seated that the frier was broken. This way we could have had more time to think about another item to order rather than the fried options we would have rather had and not be disappointedSpecial Features:
- Unorganizedmel2Dined on 5/14/2014We often choose Canteen before Mirvish plays in the area, booking a table of 8 in advance. In this case, I changed the reservation day of because 2 people couldn't make dinner. When we arrived, they hadn't taken that into account and sat the 6 of us at the tall table near the front. From there, the disorganization continued. Our server was painfully slow. His inability to provide the bill when asked cause his tip to suffer. Oh well! The tall table at the entrance to the restaurant was continually being leaned on and used by rude customers who had not planned ahead and were waiting for tables. Despite the spotty service, this place is popular, so get there at least 30 minutes before you want to eat. They only take reservations for 8 or more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014We've gone often ( I love the gnocchi and lamb, and the desserts are fantastic), and they've always welcomed us with our stroller and small well behaved lad, now that he's here, and they did a fantastic job for my birthday with a moderate sized group on a monday. Always good service, and a place we keep coming back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 138 reviews are from the O&B Canteen reviews archive.
- The confessional!yumEDined on 4/27/2014After seeing The Last Confession at The Alex, a group of us sauntered down for an early Sunday dinner (your roast beef menu special a particular draw). We had made reservations and had to wait for a bit. We were fine to roll with the delay- but it was lovely for the staff to be attentive and reassuring. We all enjoyed our meals.. between hearty burgers, succulent roast beef and glistening salmon entrees -gotta say about the best frites I have had in awhile! we were well sated. The desserts are presented in a way that is difficult to share - and we are the sharing kind.. but digging into the same tall glass is not exactly as comfortable as severing a little spoonful from the end.. so don't recommend sharing. Eat the lot yourself!Special Features:
- dinner and a moviekookachewDined on 4/1/2014Canteen has never let me down. We have gone there several times - usually because we are seeing a movie at TIFF after. The service is excellent, food very good and it is always a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average lunch.PamboDined on 2/28/2014I was at Canteen (King and John)last week with a group from work. There were 8 of us and we were comfortably seated and attended to right away. Our wait staff was pleasant and even offered his choices for delicious items on the menu.I had the gnocchi with braised lamb(it was amazing) a few of my friends had the shrimp and grits (also delicious). Everyone with me that day enjoyed their meal immensely and we would definitely return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I attended the restaurantsummerliciousfoodieDined on 2/7/2014I attended the restaurant with 6 other friends for winterlicious. The food was great and the winterlicious menu had a great selection to chose from. The service was pretty good but our waitress forgot one of our drinks and we had to remind her two times before she brought it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a reliable place to eatAvantiDined on 1/31/2014I've been here for brunch a handful of times and just recently came for dinner with a large group. Great place that has reservations available most of the time. You can always count on them to re-invigorate classic dishes, such as mac and cheese, quinoa salads, and even personal pizzas. I always like coming here, the atmosphere is casual and sophisticated. Excellent food, great service, and great for groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had never eaten at Canteen.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014Had never eaten at Canteen. We needed to grab a bite and catch a movie so we were limited on time. Food was okay, not great but tasty enough and lots of variety on the menu, which is always a good thing. What prompted my review is that the service was amazing. We had a large group, 8 of us, with some showing up late from work and one joining us just for coffee after the meal and the serving staff was able to keep that all together and get our bills to us on time so we could get to our movie. It could have been really frustrating if it didn't work but it was overall a really good experience because of the serving staff. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchSJWDVIPDined on 12/21/20136 of us had brunch just prior to Christmas and everyone was able to find and enjoy a delicious meal. I had the fish tacos and they were excellent. My husband enjoyed his cassoulet, which was enormous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceNodoubtguyDined on 12/13/2013Great place, nice feel. It's in a busy area, but it feels relaxed. Food was great for the whole group and the service was great. Very attentive and nice server who took time to help a few people at our group with questions/requests. They made sure to ask if we were going to a show to make sure we got out with enough time which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youLindaDined on 12/7/2013I organized the dinner on Saturday night. I was told by everyone in attendance that they were at first unsettled because it had a cafeteria feel but once they got settled and ordered their food they were at home. The service was perfect and everyone really enjoyed their meal. Thank you to your staff for making this a wonderful board dinner. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My saviour for #TIFFsmugginDined on 12/6/2013I am a reporter for a newspaper and had to be down at the Lightbox for the duration of the film festival. I found Canteen to be my haven. Fast lunches and great staff. It became my refuge. The do a mean steak-frites.Special Features:
- This place used to be betterYoukaliDined on 5/31/2013I have been here before, and I thought the place was a good half-fast alternative to the other O&B restaurant in the building. But this time it was disappointing. Especially the cocktails and the small bowl of lettuce covered in cheap dressing and 3 croutons that, for $8, was trying to mimic a Caesar salad. My lamb gnocchi were fine, however. Other people (7) around the table had the same mixed experience with their sandwich, soup, chicken, and tajine. I also thought that 42$ (all included) for salad, main dish, and a cocktail was expensive for that level of food. I mean that, for the same price, you can find better food in the entertainment district.
- Had a great time with my managementHappyMgtGroupDined on 5/29/2013Had a great time with my management team. The staff went above and beyond, helping the 12 of us out with a patio spot - and just in time because it got very busy. Great patio on a busy street. Good food though we were mostly there for drinks and only ordered margherita pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for me2stepsuzieDined on 5/8/2013We were seated at a long table in the doorway and backing onto the line for take out. The waitress seemed to have forgotten about us, all 12 of us. We waited over an hour for our meals. My sandwich was fine, but other meals were greasy. They forgot a soup order and when the patron said she would take it to go, there was another 15 minute wait to get permission to have the soup to go. There is so much to say, but in summary, this place is not for me. A lot of noise and hype, not meant for an enjoyable meal with friends...more like a cafeteria for school kids.
- Never againLarcindamlaDined on 4/26/2013I was really excited for this dinner because I was celebrating my graduation with 6 other people. Ordering process took a lot of time, our server ask for an ID from my friend and when she asked how old do I look he said 13 and she is 20, we waited so long for our foods and when my dish arrived it was unbelievable. I ordered a well done steak frites and I got a rare one instead of well done. At first I thought our server was confused because my friend right next to me ordered a medium one but the one that I got was not medium at all. I called the server he wanted me to put my steak on a small dish and he said that they are going to fix it and this time I got a piece of coal. It was burned and sliced.
- We'll be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2013Great find. Went there after a show at Roy Thompson with 8 family members, 6pm on a Sunday. It was busy and kept getting busier even at 8 pm. Food was delicious great flavours. Loved the chicken livers. Roast beef with bearnaise and asparagus was to die for. Excellent service. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Went with a group for ValentinesNiceViewDined on 2/14/2013Went with a group for Valentines Day. Great food and great service.Special Features:
- Everything was very good -OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013Everything was very good - party of 8 place in the corner - all enjoyed lunch. Only complaint was the noise level - the acoustics were very poor.Special Features:
- nice after work placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2013More for the atmosphere than for the food; Not a whole lot for vegetarians, and the sandwiches cant be personalizedSpecial Features:
- Our group had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2013Our group had a great time at Canteen, we love going there!Special Features:
- My group was pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2013My group was pleased with the meals and service except my wife who had a chicken dish, and said it felt as if the chicken had been boiled and couldn't finish it. Not acceptable, but everything else was ok.Special Features:
- A great 'go to' restaurant choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/11/2012An overall great choice if you want a restaurant with many choice and something good for everyone. What makes it better is that the prices are not too expensive. Atmosphere is relaxed. It is a restaurant you can hang out and have a long meal or get a quick night before a show and not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Every thing was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2012Every thing was excellent except for the same complaint as before........too much salt on the frites that came with the steak. For a rainy Monday, the daily specila was delicious and our wait staff very helpful, friendly and friendly Would recommend again to my friendsSpecial Features:
- Service was great, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2012Service was great, food was good, setting was pleasant. Staff went out of their way to make it a good experience for our group. Definitely will recommend and come backSpecial Features:
- I go to Canteen probably onceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2012I go to Canteen probably once a month or so and I have to say that the menu is getting a bit stale. We weren't told of any specials for the evening (so that might've helped) and while I generally have a nice time, it would be nice to see a bit more variety in the menu.
- The Roast Chicken was overcookedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012The Roast Chicken was overcooked and a bit bland. Staff was great though, friendly and attentive. From my personal restaurant experience, this place did not live up to my food standards.
- I have been here several timessukitoDined on 9/28/2012I have been here several times but found service and food disappointing this time.
- Good enough to try againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012Food was good, not great. Had the fish taco special. Thought it would be served warm and in pieces, but it was like a tuna salad preparation. Didn't enjoy as much as I wanted to, but would still go back & try other items. Service was pleasant, but request for separate bills was forgotten.Special Features:
- Delicious food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/21/2012Delicious food, excellent service, nice atmosphere, friendly down to earth vibe.Special Features:
- O&B Canteen is a perfect blendMourvedreDined on 9/8/2012O&B Canteen is a perfect blend of casual & hip, fun vibe, delicious food, a menu with a range of healthful choices, and perfect location for pre- or after- show or screenings in the area. I really appreciate the mix and match salad+ protein section on the menu.Special Features: