Nundini Chef's Table
500 N Shepherd Dr
Houston, TX 90241Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Nundini Chef's Table
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nundini.com/
- Phone: 7138616331x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giampaolo Nundini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We do provide
A word from Nundini Chef's Table
The Nundini Chef's Table is Houston's destination for authentic Italian food and products. Nestled in an unassuming warehouse in the Heights, the Chef's Table transports you to the streets of Italy. Get true Italian food in our full-service restaurant, featuring dishes from many regions in Italy. Or take a stroll through our shop, and purchase the very products used to make your delicious meal. Offering a vast selection of wine from every region in Italy, the choice is yours as to what part of Italy you wish to visit today. Indulge in the rich flavors of our Homemade Gelato and Sorbetto. Come to the Chef's Table, where every day is like a trip to Italy with all your friends and family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Nundini Chef's Table - Best Restaurants in Heights / Washington ›
Nundini Chef's Table reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (22)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (15)romantic (9)great for lunch (9)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- First time disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Despite having a reservation and the place being half empty, it took ten minutes to be greeted. We ordered a bottle of wine and bruschetta. Our waiter asked us 30 minutes later if we ordered bruschetta. It finally arrived about 15 minutes after that. My husband had ordered a pasta and main course. After another 30 minutes, he was first served the wrong main course. No explanation where the rest of the food was. When told about the wrong entree, it was taken away with no apology, and I was served his pasta course. My friend's meatballs were literally cold. My sauce on the side never came. The waiter said I should have reminded him! Nothing like blaming the customer. It was one excuse after another and continued until we left disappointed.
- BlahOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Good muscles and calamari, so so pasta, dry veal, lousy service. Good wine cellar.
- WeirdNopeNopeNopeDined on 9/9/2014I had eaten here once before and both times the place was pretty much empty. And it was awkward. My friend ordered a wine by the glass that was $8, but the waiter asked if he could recommend another wine. We though surely he would recommend something around $8, but no. ended up being $15. We didn't know until we got the bill. the wine certainly wasn't worth $15. My other friend called beforehand and asked if there was a gluten free menu. They said yes. Turns out, they only offered her one option. It was $30. Way too expensive for this place. Since it wasn't on the menu, she didn't know but we though it couldn't be too much more expensive than the other pastas listed. Wrong. However, my prima pizza with prosciutto was delicious.Special Features:
- Costly Death March Towards DessertAlainHarveyDined on 9/6/2014Based on an overall positive first visit, we reserved a table for twelve friends and ourselves the following month for an 8 p.m. dinner. Hot and stuffy. 20 minutes to be seated. +20 minutes to receive menus (almost enough…) +20 minutes for drink order +25 minutes for drinks to arrive (alas no corkscrew) + 10 minutes to find corkscrew Wines opened -hot! Appetizer order taken. +30 minutes Appetizers arrive. +20 minus Dinner order taken +45 minutes Main courses arrive, Owner/chef leaves with hostess. Never speaks to us. Never sets foot in kitchen or assists lone sous-chef. +45 minutes dessert order taken +25 minutes desserts arrive. Sous-chef leaves. +10 minutes Valet leaves. +20 minutes We pay (approx. $150/couple), never to return.
- Great food, flawed service.Npuglin1VIPDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant came highly recommended, we live in the neighborhood, so we decided to give it a go. It is located in a building that resembles a warehouse and it doubles as a fantastic Italian import grocery store. Great meats, cheeses, breads, and gellato! Our waiter was a trip, certainly not shy, fun but a bit over the top. There were three of us and we started with the mussels and a Picasso pizza. Entrees included mushroom pasta, Aglio E Olio, and shrimp wrapped in prosciutto. All were great, but service was rushed. We got there at 8:30, and were out by 10, not by choice! The pasta came shortly after the apps arrived and the shrimp came later. Made no sense! Waiter vanished, plates left on table. Never offered dessert or more vino! Odd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Weeks BargainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We went for a restaurant week's lunch, and were impressed with the quality of food provided for the price. Excellent basil soup for an appetizer. I had a margarita pizza for my lunch. My wife enjoyed the salad starter and the chicken main entrée, both of which were good. We ended up taking home enough food for two more meals because the portions were so large. Obviously you have to save room for dessert when they have gelato this good. Overall a real bargain and pretty good food.Special Features:
- Great Surprisegolferdude1Dined on 8/22/2014I didn't know what to expect. I have driven by this place for the last 3 years. Boy was I missing a great experience. Food is very good. The service is perfect and the chef and owner are very friendly and their gellato is the best ( homemade). Wine list is terrific with very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Wasn't even open!disappointed1458Dined on 8/21/2014My friend and I found this place on the Houston Restaurant Month website. We made a reservation on the site and then drove over to the restaurant. When we arrived there we zero cars in the lot and we walked up to the door that we thought was the entrance and it was bolted shut. I peered in the windows and did not see anyone in site. Then I called the number twice and no answer. Will not be attempting to try this place anytime soon!!
- very nice! good food and wine!runnerjanDined on 8/16/2014our first time here and really enjoyed the menu, loved the gelato!!Special Features:
- Interesting placeChristieDined on 8/16/2014This was our first time there - not sure what I expected, but here's a couple of observations. The place is like a market in the front, tables in the rear. Concrete floor and semi-industrial? feel - so we were overdressed. Server - Victor - was very good. Water glasses were never empty. A gentleman (owner and/or manager?) made an outstanding wine recommendation - speaking of wine, the list was all-Italian, VERY diverse, and VERY well priced. Dinner - Salads were good, fresh, good amounts of gorgonzola or parmigiana. We both ordered the filet with chianti reduction & berries - steaks were cooked perfectly, plated well, served hot. Desert - the tiramisu as ok (little heavy, but good flavor), the gelato was OK too. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweltering heat...4startasteDined on 8/16/2014This is a personal favorite of mine, however, the dining room was so hot that it ruined our group dining experience. Unfortunately, when this was mentioned to the waiter he said there was nothing he could do. I won't be going back until the outside temp is in the 70's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class ServiceMunchiesDined on 8/16/2014The service at this quaint little spot is impeccable. This was my first visit and I was pleasantly surprised. The complimentary valet parking, assistance with wine selection, and willingness to accommodate special requests on food orders went beyond my expectations. The food was hot, tasty, and filling. I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pam SPamelaDined on 8/13/2014The food was great. Love the wait staff very helpful and friendly. Will be returningSpecial Features:
- Not for Special CelebrationsLovepelipeliDined on 8/4/2014I had never been to Nundini's Chef's Table before and based on the website I thought it would be a great place to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. It was okay but nothing spectacular. Service was a little sportaic - server was friendly and nice (took our picture) but according to him it was his first week and it showed! I might go back and try a pizza but this would definitely not be on my special occasion spots. Wine was extremely reasonablly priced but the rest of the menu is overpriced for the atmosphere. Food was good/creative.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Management Poor - Food V. GoodHungaryJackVIPDined on 8/2/2014With four individuals in our party we ordered salads along with a main course then dessert. Three salads arrived and the fourth one arrived when over half of the salad was gone for the three members of our party. With the fourth salad not even a quarter eaten, the waiter told us our main course was ready and we told him we wanted to finish our salad. We observed him discussing with the personnel preparing the food. He returned and told us he was bringing the main course because the food preparers need room. This result in the table being overly crowded. Then three desserts were ordered and two arrived and the third arrived when the other two desserts were almost done. Food management needs improvement. All food was very good.Special Features:
- Great lunchMarlVIPDined on 8/1/2014Pizzas and paninis were great - very fresh. Gelato was excellent. Only disappointment was we asked for Houston Restaurant Week menu (which was on the web) but they did not have the menu and did not seem to know what we were talking about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavTheBestCriticVIPDined on 7/28/2014Very good food and excellent Italian wine selection. I think I've tried every pasta dish on the menu and have found one I didn't like. Crepes with Salmon are fantastic, as is the Mussel appetizer. Only tried a couple of the Secondi's so I can only recommend the Gambaroni Andritica (shrimp wrapped with prosciutto) and the Scaloppine di Vitello Oscar; both are great choices. If you are an enophile, you can spend hours perusing the walls of wine; ALL Italian. Finish it all off with cup of gelato and espresso… Only complaint is the dining room (converted warehouse space) is always too warm, in fact it even gets hot when the restaurant is full; the open kitchen doesn't help matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer a favorite.TVFreeDiningDined on 7/25/2014Before last Friday night, Nundini's was my favorite Italian restaurant in Houston. I don't know what has happened, but I can't imagine going back anytime soon.
- Good Italian in Houston- rare!SSEGDined on 7/22/2014Tasty, nice ambiance. Good Italian which is sadly rare in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian gemJabroniTimeDined on 7/16/2014Nundini Chef's Table is a Heights hidden gem. My girlfriend and I found out about this place from a friend and we decided to check it out. It's a quirky location because it doesn't resemble a restaurant on the outside. However the inside is more quaint and inviting, there is a market and deli on one side and a restaurant on the other. The owner was welcoming and prompt and were seated almost immediately. The tables were somewhat generic, but the service and food were very commendable. I had the filet special... it was very tender and savory. The only complaint about my dish was that there was not enough seasoned potatoes. *TIP* first time diners: mandatory valet parking.Special Features:
- Unexpected gem!bellaboucheDined on 6/24/2014The service was prompt, professiona, and very pleasant for all aspects of the experience, from the valet parking to selection of wine. The food was absolutely delicious (mussels appetizer, beautiful risotto, lovely salad, and scrumptious panna cotta), and well priced. We WILL be returning (again and again and again).Special Features:
- EXcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014Excellent authentic Italian food. We had eggplant Parmesan which was off the menu, grilled shrimp, filet medallians, sea bass on risotto- everything was excellent. Service absolutely top notch. Wine is not overpriced, excellent selection. Will be backSpecial Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Nundini Chef's Table reviews archive.
- Tuscany in the Heightslgvega66Dined on 5/16/2014This great find made my evening. I loved the Amarone wine list and was glad that the staff made great suggestions. The lamb was impressive as it was over polenta and was delicious!! We enjoyed the mussels in their tomato wine sauce, and the Burrata salad---they were both superb. The big treat came with the Gelato! Outstanding. My personal favorites: Pistachio and Hazelnut. This nice restaurant is a treat in the Heights area. Don't be fooled by the exterior appearance, when you enter the restaurant, it's like walking into a Tuscan Restaurant. The staff was very friendly and the place was clean, always a big plus.Special Features:
- Average at bestNick77479Dined on 5/10/2014Service average. Forgot some of our order. Wine list average. Not very friendly. Drove 30 minutes to try it-/ not worth the drive. But the gelato--/ really good!Special Features:
- Gelato!marknbellaireDined on 5/9/2014loved the gelato and sorbet which you can get with counter service. food was just average with average ambiance and fair service. salmon entree and fried calamaric/seafood were standouts.Special Features:
- Shhhh, don't tellSualauDined on 4/26/2014I hate to let the word out about this great little secret--except so many others have discovered it. I found out about Nundini's from an Italian friend, who said it is one of her favorites in Houston. Is that an endorsement or what? The food is fresh and top of the line. I could easily go here once a week. It is also a great spot to shop for cooking at home. A total win-win.Special Features:
- Off NightCheappleasuresVIPDined on 4/10/2014Just not a very good option. The appetizers were good but the entrees were oversalted and tough.
- They wait service was veryGSaraDined on 3/29/2014They wait service was very attentive to us and had awesome recommendations on food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic little findcomesbyquiteoftenDined on 3/29/2014Great food, great prices. Fun to see the various imported items for sale while you wait for a seat, choose your dessert, or on your way outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REAL Italian food.sandaltravelDined on 3/29/2014Great food not smothered in garlic. You can actually taste the food.Adequare portions and if you need anything to cook Italian they have it. The owner is there to make sure you have an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DesertHerasueDined on 3/8/2014I ordered the tiramisu and it was hard almost like it was old, dry and sour tasting. My husband had a bite and said the same thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencechucklmDined on 2/14/2014We celebrated Valetine's at Nundini's. It was our first time at the restaurant and upon entry my wife was given a red rose. We arrived right at our reservation time and were immediately escorted to our table. For appetizer's I had the Bruschetta and my wife had the tomato with mozerella salad. Both of which were very delicious and exceptionally fresh. We both had soup which was also good. I especially liked the fresh basil in the tomato basil soup. For our main entree my wife had the shrimp and rosotto and I had the lamb chops. Both definitely good choices from their menu and I would highly recommend them. Over all our experience was a very positive one and we are certainly planning on returning in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect experience -a do again!MandMDined on 2/14/2014Just like in Italy - plus great service and not too crowded. The caprese salad was a fantastic. You could really tell the cheese and herbs were fresh. The pizza was extremely authentic, with real prosciutto. The lamb was perfectly cooked. The cappuccino and and gelato were just like you would get in Italy. The wine list was impressive with options from all over Italy, many of which I have not seen out side of specialized wine shops. I really liked the fact they have two prices (both of which are very reasonable)- one if you have it opened at the table, and one if you take it home. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and was able to recommend a wine after we described what we liked - and we ended up buying a bottle to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real deal ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014The antipasto of prosciutto, mortadella and salami was a great starter. The pizza, although a little bit thicker than what is usual in Italy, has a good chew, just the right amount of sauce and cheese and good topping combinations. The pastas we had (Quattro fromaggio and alla papalina) were amazing. The specials of trout and veal chop were wonderful. Gelato for dessert? House made and authentic with intense flavor. As for the wine, the menu gives the retail price and the restaurant price so that you can see that you're getting a great value. Quite an extensive list, too. Roberto who is from Italy knows the food and wine inside out and really knows how to treat customers. Price for quality is a real deal here.Special Features:
- Dependably good foodtxchicVIPDined on 2/10/2014Very traditional Italian food, always well prepared and good size portions.Special Features:
- Fair service this time - Good food!PamelaVIPDined on 2/8/2014I have been to Nudini's when everything was great. This time the service was poor and the food way good, not great. You can never miss it with their pizza. That is always good. This night we just had pasta. When we have had some of their more complicated dishes, it was great. Will be back.
- Fresh Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2014Went to this restaurant on a Wednesday night. It was relatively quiet. Ordered bruschetta to start which was lovely and garlicky on crisp warm toast. Had pizza for main course which had a crisp base and the topping of peppers red onion and pepperoni was great. Ordered a side salad to go with this which was very fresh. This restaurant has an extensive Italian wine tist to choose from all we ordered a super Toscana which went very well with the pizza. This restaurant is in a warehouse with an Italian shop at front where you can buy authentic produce and of course gelato! It is not lavishly decorated or fancy but the good is great.Special Features:
- Great placeBigmann81Dined on 1/22/2014The manager got there the same time we did and catered to our every need like we were celebrities! Greta place and wonderful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Salads lookedWorkLunchDined on 1/22/2014Food was great. Salads looked amazing. Panini was good but not great. Would have been better had the Olive Spread been distributed evenly throughout the Panini. Waitress was slammed and unable to fill drinks as quickly as we would have liked but she was great otherwise. All of my coworkers were attending for the first time and commented positively. Definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian experienceJoMamaDined on 1/11/2014We love this place, both for the food and for the grocery items available in the market area. The food is as close to being in an osteria in Rome as you can get without paying the airfare. The availability of our favorite Brunello is what brought us here to begin with a few months ago but the food is what keeps bringing us back. Frito misto appetizer is perfectly and lightly breaded and fried every time. The filet was fork tender and cooked exactly to order. Strozzapreti della Casa, Penne all'Arrabiata & Fettucini ai Porcini are all delicious favorites. Roberto goes to great lengths to make sure you're happy with everything. We haven't tried the pizzas yet but from the looks of them at other diners' tables, that's next on the agenda!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.