Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar
54 East Mill St
Akron, OH 44308Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nuevomodmex.com/
- Phone: 3307628000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Zack Hirt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Talk to Lisa Hirt regarding your catering event needs.
- Private Party Facilities: Our downstairs private lounge can be reconfigured for a formal meeting, a celebration, or a casual get-together.
- Private Party Contact: Aaron Redmond 3307628000
- Special Events: Note: We don't take online reservations for the rooftop patio area, it is first come first serve and can be requested when you arrive with no guarantee.
- Cross Street: High Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several parking choices for guests of Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar. Street parking is available on High Street, Mill Street, and Main Street. The High Street parking deck is adjacent to Nuevo, where parking is free for the first hour, after 6 pm, and weekends. There is also the convention center parking deck a block west on Mill Street and the library parking deck is one block north on High Street. Valet service will be available for special events.
A word from Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar
Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar - Best Restaurants in Akron ›
Nuevo Modern Mexican and Tequila Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)hot spot (69)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (44)good for groups (41)vibrant bar scene (39)great for lunch (33)late-night find (22)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (9)scenic view (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The food was amazing but the noise level was to loud to hold a conversation at our table but I will go back earlier in the evening or for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaruantstudtoastDined on 9/13/2014Awesome experience. Food was terrific - must get the spoon bread.Special Features:
- Great place, great foodWalshcavDined on 9/13/2014The food was pretty outstanding Don't expect your typical Mexican fare at Nuevo. Everything is prepared in a gourmet fashion. The house margaritas are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing change in downtown AkronnuvomadDined on 9/9/2014I wanted to take my wife out to a nice Mexican restaurant for our 35th anniversary. We had always wanted to try one of the Mexican restaurants in Hudson but after checking them out online they just didn't look fit for our occasion. My son suggested Nuevo in downtown Akron. It was the perfect choice. It was so romantic dining downtown, looking out at the city. It was an experience that had the feel of what downtown Akron used to be when we were younger and I worked there. And the restaurant met our expectations at every level. The server was helpful and friendly without being overbearing. The food dishes were different, yet excellent. The drinks were fabulous. We can hardly wait to go back to our new favorite Mexican restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tequila-HOTMrBooDined on 9/9/2014Good food, great tequila and beer selection, roof top patio looks awesome. If you try the chili infused house tequila, better have a beer or water handy...very tasty...very hottttttt! If Chevelle is your bartender, you are in good hands! Will be back again for sure!Special Features:
- akron gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The hip, fun rooftop bar is a great way to wrap an evening. Very romantic, also super chic. Great, creative menu and a Fantastic drink list. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, very average foodDanfromStowDined on 9/2/2014Expectations were high. Nuevo's décor was fun and modern, but the food was average at best. Disappointed in the Shrimp tacos - expected much more - received just a few small flavorless shrimp in a bowl of soggy sautéed onions and peppers (mostly onions). They would do much better by offering grilled shrimp with some flavor. The pork was a generous serving, but quite flavorless, thankfully they had a couple nice hot sauces on the table to add some zest to the otherwise blah meals.
- Good food butFoodieVIPDined on 9/2/2014Our food was great when it finally came. Supposedly, the kitchen lost our order but our server never noticed. We had to ask where out good was after every other table had been served. They you'd 50% off the food bill but when she rang it up, she put both charges in the same credit card! What a mess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Downtown RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014The out door patio is amazing!!! Food is awesome! Great place!Special Features:
- A night of flightsTribegirlDined on 8/30/2014We sat on the rooftop patio on a Saturday night. Had a flight of Anejo tequilas, a flight of margaritas, and a trio of guacamoles. All were pleasant on the palette. Server was well-versed in tequilas which was very helpful to us. Only complaints were we could smell the dumpster on the street upon sitting down, but we quickly forgot about it, & the music coming out of the speakers often caused the railing beside us to vibrate loudly, which became annoying. Not important stuff. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- do not hesitate to reserve a tablesocomserviceoperatorDined on 8/29/2014Great place.food and margaritas were fantastic.and I am not a margarita or tequila drinker at all. Been here twice now.both times A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Mexican and American cusineHappydinerDined on 8/29/2014Our new favorite dining and hotspot in the downtown Akron area. Locally owned and operated by Chef Zack and his wife Lisa who have created some incredible recipes that you will find new and refreshing. The service was amazing. They also have a fun cocktail menu that should not be missed. We will definitely frequent this restaurant often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!MemohioDined on 8/28/2014We were celebrating our friend's return to Akron for a vacation, what a great choice Nuevo was! The food was very flavorful, I had the chorizo and potato burrito, delicious! My friends all enjoyed their dishes as well! Our server also knew his stuff! We sat on the rooftop patio and had a great view of downtown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Patio at Nuevo ModernNDangerDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed the pleasure of dining on the upstairs patio on the second day of it's opening. This was a nice sunny day with a great view of downtown Akron. The ambience of the patio must be even more spectacular at night. The service was spot on and we enjoyed a very comfortable lunch on a Friday afternoon that left us feeling that we were in a more exclusive town than Akron. The food was fabulous and the Guaco delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to try, glad we went.Likes2trynuDined on 8/27/2014It was a birthday dinner and there were 9 of us. Service was a little slow but the patio had just opened. We were inside for our meal, outside for an after dinner drink. The margaritas were tasty, the house guacamole could have used a little salt. There were two orders placed at two separate times, both needed salt. Everyone seemed pleased with their entrees. The peach habanero tacos being a popular choice. The seating could have been better. The reservation was for 9 but it was only comfortable for 8. They squeezed an extra place setting in and we were told they didn't have an extra table. The rooftop patio was a really nice place to sit and converse with friends. Give them a couple weeks to work out the flow of serving both areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nuevoclassydiner3Dined on 8/27/2014The food was absolutely amazing and the atmosphere was classy but laid back. I would definitely recommend you check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteffiDined on 8/23/2014Food was fresh and delicious. A lot of thought went into the creativity of food presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We shall returnKazzy25Dined on 8/23/2014Interesting menu. Fun bar list. Generous portions. Love the hot jelly guacamole but our chips had too much red pepper powder on them making them difficult to eat without coughing. We love the ambience, and service is generally spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service, a little loudindiantaraDined on 8/22/2014We had reservations at 9:00pm on a Friday night and were taken right to our table when we arrived. The restaurant wasn't crazy busy, but had a good amount of people in it. It was a little noisy and it was hard to hear each other talking. We ordered a lot of food - everything on the menu sounded delicious! The spoon bread is AMAZING! The goat cheese, lemon, green onion guac was AMAZING! The tacos were AMAZING! And our service was BEYOND AMAZING! Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be going back sooner rather than later.Special Features:
- Food is okakronfoodDined on 8/22/2014Love the atmosphere and location, but truly the food is just ok and we have gone three times.Special Features:
- Quality takes a unsatisfactory dipjofessDined on 8/22/2014Had a dinner there 6 weeks ago and it was very good. We were surprisingly disappointed on this occasion. Food lacked flavor, such that even their (previously) delicious hot sauce was inadequate to fix the taste. My steak was full of fat and gristle. Drinks and service was fine. Doubt I'll return again.
- Great Service, Good Food, Bad NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/19/2014Our server was outstanding. He was both attentive and knowledgable about the menu. The food was mostly good, especially the appetizers and desserts. Beware, this place is LOUD. Hard to hear each other and server at times, so I wouldn't recommend this place for a special date or as a place to catch up with old friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern Mexican Cuisine at its BestlindaVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our second visit to Nuevo Modern and we enjoyed it thoroughly. From the margarita flight and the guacamole sampler, the entrees were unique creations bursting with flavors. I loved the salmon with a hibiscus gastrique and toasted coconut rice. Our server was prompt and friendly and didn't miss a beat at any time. We had a round of desserts including plantain bread pudding and cardamom ice cream. Skip the chains to see what Mexican cuisine can taste like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!blueeyes4meDined on 8/15/2014We have been to Nuevo twice now because we had such a wonderful time our first experience. Toby, our server, is extremely passionate about the food and knowledgable on the different tequilas! The owner has stopped by our table, chatted and checked on us! The best part is a great experience that doesn't break the bank either! We love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - loud acousticsgladheatehereDined on 8/15/2014Food was great. Sound level made it difficult to hold a discussion with anyone not sitting next to you. Servers were friendly but the bar service was slow.Special Features:
- Food was terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014A little noisy but the food and service were fantastic. We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:
- PnchomeDined on 8/13/2014Food was beyond amazing! Cannot wait to go back and try more menu items. And the margaritas were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nuevo deliciosoPickyGourmetVIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent made-from-scratch gourmet Mexican food right in downtown Akron! Well worth a visit, although it is a little noisy.Special Features:
- Lunch at NuevoaaammgbDined on 8/12/2014Recently had lunch there the other day with my wife and son, based on a couple of recommendations. My take was the food was average, the service was very slow (I will give credit to the manager as she took the cost of the queso off our bill due to it being slow without us saying anything). It is very loud on the main floor, such that it is hard to hear each other talk. Not sure I will be back
- Not impressedHelloitsmeDined on 8/9/2014Food bland. Carnitas very fatty House margaritas weak. Chips tasted store bought. Only tasty item was spoon bread.
- Fabulous Service!jmf123VIPDined on 8/9/2014Our server, Casey, was fabulous. Very personable. We were a group of 10 and he did a great job keeping up with our food and drink orders! Food was wonderful as well. Only drawback was the noise level as the evening progressed.Special Features:
- Great experience!AllenDined on 8/9/2014The wife and I love trying new restaurants, and Nuevo Modern was recommended by a few friends. We gave it a shot, and will easily be going back. Price was reasonable, and the service and food was outstanding! I definitely recommend it to anyone that loves Mexican food. Although we aren't big drinkers these days, the bar menu was very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly GoodALECVIPDined on 8/8/2014I have eaten here a couple times before, and each time I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The seafood ceviche was outstanding. Steak was a bit too well done for a medium rare request but still good and all the sides were wonderful. Our server was outstanding - very attentive and knowledgeable. Other appetizers and main dishes were well prepared and tasty. Only drawback for me is noise - very lively bar area; next time I will ask to be seated downstairs which is much quieter.Special Features:
- Gourmet at great priceLovetoeatVIPDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food at a great price! We had 4 entrees all were well prepared and felt gourmet which is tough for MexicanSpecial Features:
- Yikes!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Way too loud -- impossible to have any kind of conversation without screaming! Food was OK but nothing exciting and service was not good at all. Sorry, but we won't be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Service was great, server was knowledgeable and very helpful. She checked on us several times throughout our meal. The food and drinks were very good. They have an upscale menu that makes us want to return to try other things. The margarita flight was refreshing, and different. We enjoyed our appetizer( the empanada) our meals, and the chocolate flourless cake and mousse dessert was memorable.Special Features:
- Best meal in recent years!ModmexluvbirdsDined on 7/29/2014My wife and I love mod mex and this was our favorite meal we have had in years. The margaritas, guacamole, and entrees we terrific. Then we had dessert. Flour less chocolate cake with mousse and candied pistachios was unbelievably good! Our server was personable and helpful. We will be back as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs workJennkDined on 7/28/2014Overall, the experience was nice. Our server was helpful and had knowledge of the menu. The food needs work. It was bland and disappointing considering how fabulous everything sounded. I would definitely go back if there was a little more effort in flavor.Special Features:
- fun!sonyadines1Dined on 7/23/2014Had a great time trying different tequilas, the smoked pineapple margarita was great! Kudos for the guacamole trio it was excellent and fresh. Eric the bartender and Monique the server were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okChadDined on 7/19/2014We heard of this new Mexican place downtown and wanted to give it a shot. It was good. Not great. Not bad. The service was rather slow for a smaller restaurant like this. We were with a group of 6 so it wasn't that noticeable, but it was still slow service. The food was very tasty and there was plenty of it. The Empanada appetizer was a joke. 2 of them on the plate about the size of a golf ball. The habanero jelly guacamole was outstanding however. Three people ordered the blueberry margarita and did not like it at all. The regular margarita was good, but again not great. We probably would not go back as we usually like to try new places, and this place was not the jump and grab you go back again place for us.