16 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nubarcambridge.com/
- Phone: (617) 234-1365
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday - Sunday 7AM - 10:30 AM
Brunch - Sunday 11AM - 3PM
Lunch - Monday - Saturday 11AM - 5PM
Dinner Monday - Sunday 5PM - 11PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tom Connaughton/Bill Flumerfelt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Semi-private room for up to 40 seated guests and 60 for cocktail format, with a wide variety of passed and stationary items.
- Special Events: Special Events welcome - semi-private for up to 60, unless the entire restaurant is requested - then up to 120 seated or 200 for cocktail format. Room charge may apply
A word from Nubar
Located under the glow of a Cambridge landmark and in the heart of Harvard Square, Nubar restaurant and lounge is now open at the Sheraton Commander Hotel. A chic neighborhood hangout emphasizing a comfortable bar and dining experience, Nubar restaurant serves food reflective of its surrounding neighborhood: smart, seasonal and approachable. Our patio is now open for lunch and dinner, weather permitting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nubar reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (35)good for groups (29)special occasion (27)great for lunch (20)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- NiceBevmireDined on 11/26/2014Very good for a restaurant in a hotel. Nothing outstanding about the food or drink, but nothing really bad either.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet dinnerKRT86Dined on 11/15/2014Nubar is a lovely restaurant for a cocktail and an appetizer, although their appetizer list could be a little more creative. However we were hoping for a nice quiet dinner to sit and talk over good food. Our table was too close for comfort to the next table for a long chat. We tried the lamb appetizer - it was presented beautifully, but the vegetables were overcooked and the flavors were odd. The waitress also had difficultly explaining the cocktail menu. I had a bowl of pumpkin soup afterward, which was delicious. But we also felt quite rushed by our waitress, and were never able to relax. I might come back here with a couple girlfriends to just have cocktails at their comfortable looking cocktail lounge area, but not for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceLloydVIPDined on 10/29/2014This time it was just sandwiches, polenta, and dessert. The smoked chicken sandwich was decilisous and very filling. Definitely a bargain. And it's so convenient to the Longy School where I was going to a concert.Special Features:
- Fine food, way too loudBirchie7Dined on 10/23/2014Our dinners were very tasty. Service was very good without being chatty and chummy, which is just fine. Dining area feels barn-like and is too loud for mature adults. Dividing the bar/tv area from the dining area by more than distance would improve things a lot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet spot. Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014Love having this available in my neighborhood. The hotel has been here forever and this is the latest renovation of the bar / restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre concert gemEatoutDined on 10/19/2014A comfortable place to eat with a group. Great location to eat before a concert at Longy Music school. Good food, good selection and quick service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food but does not stand outboxochocDined on 10/11/2014Nubar has a lovely, modern dining room with locally sourced, fresh food served by friendly, educated staff. There was nothing unique on the menu, however. There was nothing that I saw and said, wow, never heard of that before, I'd come back for that. Plus, the restaurant is separated from the lobby of the hotel by only a curtain. There was an event at the hotel and we heard a lot of noise at times.Special Features:
- First time in...smalltowngirlDined on 10/5/2014Met my "LA" brother for dinner, first ti!me for me eating in Cambridge (I'm small town). What a scrumptious dinner! I'm on a vegan diet and their vegan menu was plentiful. I LOVED the atmosphere of Nubar! Subdued lighting, plenty of space, yet cozy feel. Wait staff was excellent and accommodating. Took an hour to get there, but well worth the ride!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NubarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014In a cozy, quiet corner of Harvard Square, Nubar is great when you want to relax and be able to talk with friends over delicious food. The bar itself is lighted from underneath adding to the overall glow of the restaurant. Will be back!Special Features:
- NubarvsvsDined on 10/4/2014burger & fries delicious...servers awesome....NOT a fan of valet parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner!SabrosoDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food, attentive wait-staff, open, spacious setting. One of those special places where the service is wonderful without being obtrusive. The food simply appears and is quite good. Would recommend the duck particularly, perfectly prepared and very tasty but was told that the risotto was rich and delicious. Will certainly return.Special Features:
- excellent for a light mealLloydVIPDined on 9/20/2014This time we just had sandwiches--the smoked chicken, with pesto, tomatoes, and bacon. Delicious, as is everything else I've ever had at Nubar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014enjoyed our meal so much, went back again a few days lyre - great beer selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude PeopleLeeLeeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a cocktail in the bar area prior to dinner and there was a large group of people who were standing and hovering. They were inappropriately loud and rude and, to be honest, I expected the staff at Nubar to say something to them (ask that they sit as they were bothering other people).
- Always excellentdorbarrDined on 9/5/2014I always appreciate the vegan menu and being able to substitute. Excellent friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Lovely ambience where it is possible to have a real conversation -- in contrast to the Italian hot spot in the Square where you have to shout to make yourself heard. Very, very good food -- the summer risotto was excellent. Don't understand why Nubar isn't more of a "happening" place -- but maybe that would spoil it. A great place to connect with good friends.Special Features:
- Too SaltyMozelleDined on 9/1/2014What looked like a nice menu turned out to be just average run-of-the-mill pub food. Crab cake appetizer was way over salted. Truffle fries were just fries that were greasy with a tiny bit of not-so-great truffle oil. On the positive side, the flatbread pizzas were delicious. The greens in the simple salad were fresh and tasty and the polenta was good. However the polenta was topped with a greasy, over salted, deep fried egg. Frankly I think they need to change the oil in their deep fryer more often and use a higher quality oil, and somebody in the kitchen needs to taste the food before it goes out to check for over salting and stale frying oil.Special Features:
- A safe choice for occasionsAGalileoDined on 8/28/2014You can't go wrong with Nubar, whether it is for a romantic diner or a business diner. The quality of food, service, and the ambiance are superior. There is on the menu something to please every taste, with consistent superior quality across all the choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nubar 4 stars (out of 4)TomGreviewsDined on 8/24/2014This was my second time at Nubar with the first time such a nice dinner experience that my wife and I came back and brought 3 additional people. This time, as before, everything was excellent: the food (Sunday brunch), the service, and the atmosphere -- though there weren't many people in the place either time. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- surprisingly nice; nice barletsmakeadealDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely dinner for four the other night. Nice salad and excellent appetizer with a crusty poached egg. Excellent trout salad and steak frites. Comfortable atmosphere. Had drinks here a few months ago. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!dorbarrDined on 8/22/2014As a big fan of Nubar as a great neighborhood hangout, I was excited to go for Restaurant Week. I had the vegetarian options and all the food was scrumptious. The gaspacho was unbelievably fresh and the risotto was so incredibly delicious that I lingered over it lovingly. Having their own vegetables grown on the roof makes a huge difference! And service was impeccable; Katie and Brian took great care of me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Lovely place, fine food, terrific atmosphere and ambiance. Quiet and serene feeling. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 433 reviews are from the Nubar reviews archive.
- Good food and service in Harvard SqPiesieVIPDined on 7/30/2014I really like the meze plate, either as the appetizer or as a light entree. And, as odd as this is to detail this for a nicer restaurant, their burgers are really wonderful - they have the softest brioche roll and crunchy, perfectly cooked fries. (Sometimes, I just want comfort food!) Their veggies (specifically tomatoes) were perfect in the Panzanella salad we ordered, and their crab cakes (app) were made without too much filler. Service is always good here, it's usually not too crowded, and they usually have a really good music selection on at a reasonable level.Special Features:
- AdacVIPDined on 7/29/2014excellent in all aspects - service and food and consistencySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014I had a large group at Nubar. The food was great and the waitress was very helpfull in giving everyone separate checks with their individual meals and not a single mistake. However, the service was very slow. Even though the restaurant was fairly empty our waitress would often disappear for long periods of time so we couldn't even flag her down when we needed something. I would definitely recommend Nubar if you have time for leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceFairVIPDined on 7/25/2014Much better experience from our last visit. We love their bread basket especially the fruit and nut rolls. Salmon and swordfish were delicious and cooked perfectly. Sides could have been a bit more substantial but they did not disappoint. Trout salad was very salty (tid bits of smoked trout tossed in) we got some fish bones and the spinach could have been washed better as it was sandy... Our waitress was attentive and unhurried this time around (same Gal) which was great! The service attendant really deserve a thumbs up, they don't get enough credit for all they do to make the dining experience a good one!
- A+ food, disinterested serviceLocalsVIPDined on 7/22/2014We like Nubar, a lot. Food is very good, inventive, and well done. Cudos. This night however, was marred by disinterested, service (the supporting folks were fine, but our waitress poor). Too bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep returningYogaenthusiastVIPDined on 7/19/2014In a city where noise levels purport to equate with great dining, Nubar shines as a wonderful alternative. The food is reliably great, selections vary with seasonal availability, and you can always enjoy your dining companions without having to shout or ask them to repeat themselves at increasingly higher decibels. The room is lovely, especially the bar, and service is always good. We'll be back to enjoy this dining oasis in an otherwise overly noisy restaurant scene.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysLloydVIPDined on 7/17/2014Nubar is so good and so completely transformed from the hotel dining room it used to be that it's a pleasure to go. Actually went twice in a row last week. The sandwiches and burgers are excellent, and so are the main courses. I had a perfectly prepared grilled swordfish with superb trimmings. The soup of the day was a crisp and refreshing gazpacho. Someonie was ill on the staff and the server was alone for the evening. But she handled everything with cool aplomb that was a significant conribution to our dijning comfort.Special Features:
- excellent service and foodsyparkDined on 7/14/2014it's awesome. I hope to go to NuBar again soon. excellent service, delicious food, and quite fancy interior!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragestevenflorioVIPDined on 7/13/2014Average restaurant, nothing special that makes it stand out above the rest but worth trying if you enjoy a simple brunch.Special Features:
- Nubar Sunday BrunchchadmilleDined on 7/6/2014Great Sunday all you can eat buffet! Service was excellent and the ambience was quiet and relaxing. Will definitely go back in the future.Special Features:
- Nice placearifattieDined on 7/5/2014Good ambiance. Fresh, creative food. We tried the lamb turnover for appetizer, and found it quite flavorful and interesting. The salmon was fine, whereas the gnocchi was really superb: made just right and mixed with delectable veggies and topped with copious cheese shavings.
- Where are you Nubar?londonboundDined on 7/4/2014In the past, I've had several very nice meals at the Nubar -- good food, great service and wonderful wine. Unfortunately, my experience on July 4th was not as stellar, primarily because of the food. I ordered my favorite chicken dish, but when it arrived I was greatly disappointed. It took longer than expected which surprised me given that I was the only patron in the place -- maybe due to the rain. The chicken and potatoes were not just cold but tasted off -- almost as if they were frozen leftovers from the previous night. The panna cote dessert and the wine were excellent as was the service. I still recommend this restaurant even with the disappointing food. I simply attribute it to an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great off-the-square eaterythemealdealDined on 6/29/2014wanted to meet cambridge-based friends at a harvard square area restaurant. needed to be vegetarian- friendly. everyone agreed that Nubar was a great selection: began with a nice bread basket; terrific bowl of gazpaco and another tasty vegetarian soup; had a wonderful vegetable flatbread and crispy truffle french fries for an appetizer. both were great warm-ups. then had a light and crispy hake fish entre, primavera gnocchi and a vegan entre. dessert was a chocolate totre and a wonderful cannoli. highly recommend. will definitely return for another meal when I want a meal/restaurant setting that stands out.Special Features:
- Terrible Servicefood4thoughtDined on 6/29/2014I went to Nubar with my husband for brunch. The restaurant was not busy, yet we waited for over 10 minutes for any service. We finally had to flag someone down to take a drink order. Service remained very poor for the rest of our stay, turning what should have been a quick brunch buffet to an almost 2 hour ordeal. Another couple beside us was similarly frustrated, and we noticed other customers who looked 'wealthier' were getting wonderful service. This is not a place I would ever go to again, and I will certainly tell others not to waste their time.
- Excellent for Fathers DayofMonDined on 6/15/2014We had a wonderful meal of appetizers. The standout was the polenta with wilted spinach and crispy poached egg, but everything else was delicious as well. The waitstaff was attentive and informative. We will surely go there again.Special Features:
- Loved it!katrinahesterDined on 6/15/2014My family had a wonderful Father's Day brunch! Food was delicious and plentiful. We will definitely recommend to friends and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really noisy nightMarmouraDined on 6/12/2014... due to a party in the bar area, which made it difficult to talk at our table in the dining area. The food was good, but our waitress was abrupt and in a bad mood!Special Features:
- A tasty surprise!PattyPVIPDined on 6/12/2014This was our first visit to Nubar and we had a pleasant dinner. Unlike many other Open Table restaurants, no amus bouche was offered before dinner. The flatbread was good, but there was no garlic in the sauce, though none was promised in the description. The bread basket was fantastic with a nice array of tasty rolls! We shared a salad, and the kitchen graciously split it onto two plates. The clam roast was delicious. I would have liked a basket for the empty shells; The steak frites was grilled perfectly, and the fries were wonderfully cooked, with no pretentious sauces. The lemon panna cotta was also excellent. Service was very good, though we had a wait at the end for water and our bill, but overall a very nice place to dine!Special Features: