16 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nubarcambridge.com/
- Phone: 6172341365
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Monday - Sunday 7AM - 10:30 AM
Brunch - Sunday 11AM - 3PM
Lunch - Monday - Saturday 11AM - 5PM
Dinner Monday - Sunday 5PM - 11PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tom Connaughton/Bill Flumerfelt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Semi-private room for up to 40 seated guests and 60 for cocktail format, with a wide variety of passed and stationary items.
- Special Events: Special Events welcome - semi-private for up to 60, unless the entire restaurant is requested - then up to 120 seated or 200 for cocktail format. Room charge may apply
A word from Nubar
Located under the glow of a Cambridge landmark and in the heart of Harvard Square, Nubar restaurant and lounge is now open at the Sheraton Commander Hotel. A chic neighborhood hangout emphasizing a comfortable bar and dining experience, Nubar restaurant serves food reflective of its surrounding neighborhood: smart, seasonal and approachable. Our patio is now open for lunch and dinner, weather permitting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nubar reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)special occasion (32)fit for foodies (29)great for brunch (27)good for groups (25)romantic (24)great for lunch (17)great for outdoor dining (11)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (5)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- A safe choice for occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014You can't go wrong with Nubar, whether it is for a romantic diner or a business diner. The quality of food, service, and the ambiance are superior. There is on the menu something to please every taste, with consistent superior quality across all the choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nubar 4 stars (out of 4)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014This was my second time at Nubar with the first time such a nice dinner experience that my wife and I came back and brought 3 additional people. This time, as before, everything was excellent: the food (Sunday brunch), the service, and the atmosphere -- though there weren't many people in the place either time. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- surprisingly nice; nice barletsmakeadealDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely dinner for four the other night. Nice salad and excellent appetizer with a crusty poached egg. Excellent trout salad and steak frites. Comfortable atmosphere. Had drinks here a few months ago. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!dorbarrDined on 8/22/2014As a big fan of Nubar as a great neighborhood hangout, I was excited to go for Restaurant Week. I had the vegetarian options and all the food was scrumptious. The gaspacho was unbelievably fresh and the risotto was so incredibly delicious that I lingered over it lovingly. Having their own vegetables grown on the roof makes a huge difference! And service was impeccable; Katie and Brian took great care of me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Lovely place, fine food, terrific atmosphere and ambiance. Quiet and serene feeling. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good food and service in Harvard SqPiesieVIPDined on 7/30/2014I really like the meze plate, either as the appetizer or as a light entree. And, as odd as this is to detail this for a nicer restaurant, their burgers are really wonderful - they have the softest brioche roll and crunchy, perfectly cooked fries. (Sometimes, I just want comfort food!) Their veggies (specifically tomatoes) were perfect in the Panzanella salad we ordered, and their crab cakes (app) were made without too much filler. Service is always good here, it's usually not too crowded, and they usually have a really good music selection on at a reasonable level.Special Features:
- AdacVIPDined on 7/29/2014excellent in all aspects - service and food and consistencySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014I had a large group at Nubar. The food was great and the waitress was very helpfull in giving everyone separate checks with their individual meals and not a single mistake. However, the service was very slow. Even though the restaurant was fairly empty our waitress would often disappear for long periods of time so we couldn't even flag her down when we needed something. I would definitely recommend Nubar if you have time for leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceFairDined on 7/25/2014Much better experience from our last visit. We love their bread basket especially the fruit and nut rolls. Salmon and swordfish were delicious and cooked perfectly. Sides could have been a bit more substantial but they did not disappoint. Trout salad was very salty (tid bits of smoked trout tossed in) we got some fish bones and the spinach could have been washed better as it was sandy... Our waitress was attentive and unhurried this time around (same Gal) which was great! The service attendant really deserve a thumbs up, they don't get enough credit for all they do to make the dining experience a good one!
- A+ food, disinterested serviceLocalsVIPDined on 7/22/2014We like Nubar, a lot. Food is very good, inventive, and well done. Cudos. This night however, was marred by disinterested, service (the supporting folks were fine, but our waitress poor). Too bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep returningYogaenthusiastVIPDined on 7/19/2014In a city where noise levels purport to equate with great dining, Nubar shines as a wonderful alternative. The food is reliably great, selections vary with seasonal availability, and you can always enjoy your dining companions without having to shout or ask them to repeat themselves at increasingly higher decibels. The room is lovely, especially the bar, and service is always good. We'll be back to enjoy this dining oasis in an otherwise overly noisy restaurant scene.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysLloydVIPDined on 7/17/2014Nubar is so good and so completely transformed from the hotel dining room it used to be that it's a pleasure to go. Actually went twice in a row last week. The sandwiches and burgers are excellent, and so are the main courses. I had a perfectly prepared grilled swordfish with superb trimmings. The soup of the day was a crisp and refreshing gazpacho. Someonie was ill on the staff and the server was alone for the evening. But she handled everything with cool aplomb that was a significant conribution to our dijning comfort.Special Features:
- excellent service and foodsyparkDined on 7/14/2014it's awesome. I hope to go to NuBar again soon. excellent service, delicious food, and quite fancy interior!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragestevenflorioDined on 7/13/2014Average restaurant, nothing special that makes it stand out above the rest but worth trying if you enjoy a simple brunch.Special Features:
- Nubar Sunday BrunchchadmilleDined on 7/6/2014Great Sunday all you can eat buffet! Service was excellent and the ambience was quiet and relaxing. Will definitely go back in the future.Special Features:
- Nice placearifattieDined on 7/5/2014Good ambiance. Fresh, creative food. We tried the lamb turnover for appetizer, and found it quite flavorful and interesting. The salmon was fine, whereas the gnocchi was really superb: made just right and mixed with delectable veggies and topped with copious cheese shavings.
- Where are you Nubar?londonboundDined on 7/4/2014In the past, I've had several very nice meals at the Nubar -- good food, great service and wonderful wine. Unfortunately, my experience on July 4th was not as stellar, primarily because of the food. I ordered my favorite chicken dish, but when it arrived I was greatly disappointed. It took longer than expected which surprised me given that I was the only patron in the place -- maybe due to the rain. The chicken and potatoes were not just cold but tasted off -- almost as if they were frozen leftovers from the previous night. The panna cote dessert and the wine were excellent as was the service. I still recommend this restaurant even with the disappointing food. I simply attribute it to an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great off-the-square eaterythemealdealDined on 6/29/2014wanted to meet cambridge-based friends at a harvard square area restaurant. needed to be vegetarian- friendly. everyone agreed that Nubar was a great selection: began with a nice bread basket; terrific bowl of gazpaco and another tasty vegetarian soup; had a wonderful vegetable flatbread and crispy truffle french fries for an appetizer. both were great warm-ups. then had a light and crispy hake fish entre, primavera gnocchi and a vegan entre. dessert was a chocolate totre and a wonderful cannoli. highly recommend. will definitely return for another meal when I want a meal/restaurant setting that stands out.Special Features:
- Terrible Servicefood4thoughtDined on 6/29/2014I went to Nubar with my husband for brunch. The restaurant was not busy, yet we waited for over 10 minutes for any service. We finally had to flag someone down to take a drink order. Service remained very poor for the rest of our stay, turning what should have been a quick brunch buffet to an almost 2 hour ordeal. Another couple beside us was similarly frustrated, and we noticed other customers who looked 'wealthier' were getting wonderful service. This is not a place I would ever go to again, and I will certainly tell others not to waste their time.
- Excellent for Fathers DayofMonDined on 6/15/2014We had a wonderful meal of appetizers. The standout was the polenta with wilted spinach and crispy poached egg, but everything else was delicious as well. The waitstaff was attentive and informative. We will surely go there again.Special Features:
- Loved it!katrinahesterDined on 6/15/2014My family had a wonderful Father's Day brunch! Food was delicious and plentiful. We will definitely recommend to friends and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really noisy nightMarmouraDined on 6/12/2014... due to a party in the bar area, which made it difficult to talk at our table in the dining area. The food was good, but our waitress was abrupt and in a bad mood!Special Features:
- A tasty surprise!PattyPVIPDined on 6/12/2014This was our first visit to Nubar and we had a pleasant dinner. Unlike many other Open Table restaurants, no amus bouche was offered before dinner. The flatbread was good, but there was no garlic in the sauce, though none was promised in the description. The bread basket was fantastic with a nice array of tasty rolls! We shared a salad, and the kitchen graciously split it onto two plates. The clam roast was delicious. I would have liked a basket for the empty shells; The steak frites was grilled perfectly, and the fries were wonderfully cooked, with no pretentious sauces. The lemon panna cotta was also excellent. Service was very good, though we had a wait at the end for water and our bill, but overall a very nice place to dine!Special Features:
- Worth checking outRickyDVIPDined on 6/8/2014Went with Travelzoo coupon and was pleasantly surprised. Excellent choice of food (included chicken and fish-both excellent). Service was just right. Omelet was exactly how I asked for it. My partner and I enjoyed it and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary MealOutoftowniesDined on 6/7/2014Having eaten here three times in the past year, Nubar was our first choice for our anniversary celebration. We started with Lamb and Meze Plate appetizers. I was overwhelmed with the amount of food served on the Meze Plate, it was large enough for two to share. We moved on to the Duck and the Salmon entrees which were outstanding. The duck was tender and mouth watering in flavor, the organic salmon was also very flavorful. We finished our meal with a cannoli and a passionfruit sorbet. With the weather being so warm, we were able to sit outside on the terrace, but the views are less than stellar, our only complaint. May be the terrace should be screened with trellis work and vines, so the hotel guests wouldn't be spectators!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsJoj9795VIPDined on 6/5/2014Love the drinks and the flatbread was delicious as an appetizerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good-not greatRickVIPDined on 5/31/2014Went to Nubar and had flatbread and salt cod cakes and drinks. The flatbread was good and the cod cakes were as well. The drinks were good-not great.
- Great Food, Poor Service twice nowFairDined on 5/16/2014Good Food, fair prices, much too noisy for me, the service was inattentive and slow again...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014My family and I thoroughly enjoyed the Mother's Day brunch. The food quality and array of options really exceeded expectations. All 9 of us were raving about the desserts and the omelets all day...... My 3-year old niece couldn't get enough of the baked rigatoni dish (and the desserts). Overall, a really great experience and we'll spread the word. The valet parking right outside was also very convenient.Special Features:
- a cozy bar with excellent foodZimmsDined on 5/10/2014Nubar is a favorite of ours. Even had my son's and daughter-in-law's wedding eve get together there in the bar area. We like to sit at the high tops in the bar area for dinner -find that area even quieter and more intimate than the dining room. Even have stopped on a cold Sunday afternoon to have a snack and drinks or tea and coffee in the bar area that has a fireplace and comfy chairs. The food is inventive and tasty. There is valet parking if needed but can usually find a spot on the street if you don't mind walking a bit. If you want an active, young bar scene you won't find it at Nubar but you will find a friendly staff with classy, cozy decor and fine food. Recommend it for a mixed age group dinner or to celebrate a family event.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingnftiDined on 5/9/2014We ask for a table to accommodate my husband on crutches and they delivered. The space was cozy, the food from start to finish well present, yummy tasting. A unique varied menu, that was geared to any palate--very fresh and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EvelynDined on 5/3/2014We went on Saturday, during dinner rush. To give the place its due, service was prompt and fairly quick, considering how packed the place was. But there was a giant group set up in the lounge by the bar, and the noise level of 40 very excited people so close to the dining area, together with loud music, made conversation impossible. Our table of 4 was helped by two different servers, which introduced a level of confusion and redundancy due to their lack of communication between each other. Food was delicious as always, but more variety would be good. Spaghetti does not a vegan dish make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 406 reviews are from the Nubar reviews archive.
- JAGJAG1Dined on 5/2/2014Went to Nubar with friends for a birthday celebration. The food was fabulous. We all decided that this was is place we will comeback to often!Special Features:
- Pricy for the Brunch BuffetTareqDined on 4/27/2014The restaurant is really nice and fancy and food is great. The only thing is that the Brunch buffet should have been given bigger space and bigger variety of items for the price they offer it for.
- Mg13Dined on 4/27/2014Brunch was okay. A little pricey for selection, but quality was good on certain items (bacon was tremendous). Ran out of several items and had to replace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Times BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014The omelet station was superb. Don't miss out on the fruit and french toast either. The salmon with hoisin sauce was moist and flavorful. You really can't go wrong with any option.Special Features:
- OK but not uniqueFP31Dined on 4/25/2014Friendly for group. Food is OK but far from exceptional. Noise Level rather low so good if you want to have long conversationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/21/2014After many return trips to Nubar I can say it is consistently good, with good service, good food, good ambience. But nothing about it stands out as beyond good...wait...wrong...portion size. My husband and I didn't find many items on the menu that jumped out at us, but the salmon I ordered and the hake he ordered were both tasty. I know they change menus seasonally and perhaps that, and dining out of doors, will encourage us to return. Otherwise, if you're staying at the hotel or in the neighborhood this is a spot where you can't go wrong but won't walk away feeling that you've had a better than average experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MISREPRESENTED PRICESEaster2luvDined on 4/20/2014The experience was good, our table was not necessarily fit for two children- one is 4years old. We were also under the impression that kids under 5 years were not to be charged; at least that is what was advertised. When the bill came, our 4 year old was charged $20. We double checked the ad on getting home and it still stated the same- my husband called them, we were promised a call back from the manager since we paid cash. 4 days later we are still waiting.Special Features:
- Comfortably BlandSuleimanDined on 4/15/2014Picked this place because I was looking for a quiet spot in Cambridge. The food was not bad, but the restaurant seemed seriously understaffed and thus not very attentive (water not refilled, requests for items forgotten, etc.) For the price ($90 for two for dinner including 2 courses each and one glass of wine) it could have been better. If you're looking for a quiet spot or a place to eat alone (as this was in a hotel, there were a fair number of solo diners) and don't expect to be wowed, this could work for you.