Nozumi Japanese Cuisine
100 W Higgins Rd Unit J-30
South Barrington, IL 60010Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Nozumi Japanese Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nozumiasiancuisine.com/
- Phone: 8477830001
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout
A word from Nozumi Japanese Cuisine
Our culinary team created menu favorites with a global palate in mind; with fresh, seasonal food, flown in daily from around the world. We have an extensive selection of Sushi & Signature Rolls, Steaks & Lobsters. Come experience Nozumi!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nozumi Japanese Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
- Extremely Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013There's no point in making a reservation. We had one for 7:45pm and did not get seated until almost an hour later. What's more troubling is that no one was available at the front desk to manage the customers waiting in line. Someone finally showed up after 15 minutes waiting in line. Once seated, another 30 minutes went by before we got a glass of water served at the table. The food was excellent but offset by the poor service. I will not be dining inside until service issues are addressed.
- I hate leaving bad reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013I hate leaving bad reviews but we waited 15 minutes for our reservation, then they sat us next to a family with little kids, then there was one server with over 15 tables. It was pretty bad and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic dinner. It would be fine for just a casual dinner with friends but it is not quiet or tranquil at all.Special Features:
- DisappointingJamesVIPDined on 2/9/2013Food was good, but below select other suburban locations. Service was poor. Long waits for simple things like water & processing of our check. They were out of our first two wine selections, as we as a third we considered. They need a new wine buyer! We enjoy 90% of restaurants we visit, but will not return here.
- Strike Two.blickVIPDined on 1/19/2013The restaurant was slow and our server even slower. Not helpful or knowledgable on menu and not helpful with selection. Different waitress than last time bur pretty much the sam service. Won't be going back.
- Wonderful service all threeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/2/2013Wonderful service all three times we've been. They've just expanded the menu to include even more delicious Asian treats. The decor is really cool.Special Features:
- Great Appetizers!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/30/2012Great food. Tons of rolls of rolls to pick from and the appetizer list was awesome...will def return for more. My new go to Japanese appetizer place. The calamari fries were the softest fried calamari I have ever had in my life and the sashimi appetizers had far more fish that other places.Special Features:
- Great Date PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2012My wife and I have been ggoing on dates here for awhile now. We love the Rolls and sushi always great food. (try the Godzilla Roll) we do wish however that they had a larger cooked food portion of there menu. A more attentive wait staff would help too, we noticed that they only come over to clear the table and not much more then that. Nozumi is still an excellent place for a dateand we will be coming back often.Special Features:
- I had a reservation but yourJfeinberg82Dined on 10/19/2012I had a reservation but your computer was down. Was hoping for something a little more intimate for our anniversary dinner. Tables were small an cafeteria like. Young girls as hostesses was probably not a good decision. They came off very immature.
- Food is outstanding! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/16/2012Food is outstanding! Service a little slow, server could have been a little more attentive. Overall, very good and will return.Special Features:
- Best experience yet at this venuefernrxDined on 9/29/2012Was even better than the last time we were there. Shopped til we dropped so it was nice to sit down to a sake Bloody and some chardonnay and Sapporo at the end of the day. The seaweed salad was a gem. Not just a pile but served with beautiful greens on the side and a heavenly ginger dressing, the duck appetizer with soba was really tasty and interesting, the day boat scallops were delicious and the service was top notch...attentive but not overbearing. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Never Fails to ImpressOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012I have been to Nozumi many times and the food never fails to disappoint! The sushi is outstanding, and I look forward to when they update their menu so I can try new, creative rolls. The Blushing Geisha is absolutely fantastic, and I would recommend it to even the most seasoned sushi palate. My biggest beef is that whenever I arrive to the restaurant, the host(ess) is never at the front desk. If someone would get us to a table more quickly, this would turn my 4 star review into a 5 star experience!Special Features:
- If you want sushi this isBarrydogVIPDined on 9/8/2012If you want sushi this is your place, for those who are looking for something other than sushi the menu is limited.Special Features:
- No, No, NozumiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/8/2012This is the second time my husband and I dined at Nozumi. We were not impressed the first time due to poor and slow service, and our expectations were not exceeded this time. I don't want to ding our server, because she was as nice as could be, but the restaurant seemed to have no clue as to how to put out entrees. To keep up, it seemed that the sushi chefs were putting out partial orders to each table. It took 75 minutes, from the time of seating, for us to get our second set of sushi rolls. Our water glasses were only refilled on request (and then after a long delay), and we were never offered second glasses of beer/wine. It was painful to see the manager and wait staff flustered. We won't again make the mistake of dining at Nozumi.
- Good place...could be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/18/2012Good place...could be great if they could shake out their service issues. Staff just never quite seems to have it together. Also feel bad because it is a big place but not very busy. I would suggest that they take one half of the restaurant (on the bar side) and make it more of a Japanese steak house. Traditional sushi and unique dishes with an Asian flair on one side and teppanyaki style cooking on the other!
- Our second time here and wewinendineVIPDined on 8/17/2012Our second time here and we really enjoyed their signature rolls. The Black Widow and Mikuki Moon were excellent. WE started with the jalepeno poppers which were great. Service is fantastic and the atmosphere is modern and inviting.Special Features:
- The bartender was very helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2012The bartender was very helpful with food and drink selections. The food was good. I would go back.
- Good food but poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2012The atmosphere of the restaurant is great and the place has a great deal of promise. However, it just could not deliver on the dining experience at a moderate to high price point as the service was terrible. We had a party of four and the entre came out one by one with a 15 minute gap between the order coming out of the kitchen. What made it worst, the server never explained why the service was so uncoordinated. Even a fast casual restaurant at half of the entre price point has a more efficient kitchen system. The food is good but the service killed the entire experience. There are better places to go with the same level of food quality and much better service.
- Had a terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2012Had a terrible experience unfortunately. I got my food over an hour before my date! We had reservations and there were only 2 other couples there. No apologies given, treated like we were a bother, though we weren't checked on. Many issues with service and lack of knowledge from staff regarding menu. Tried to call and speak to manager before writing my first review on a restaurant, however, he did not return my call! It's a very cute place with potential, but needs lots of help.
- A great dining experience.ChrisDined on 8/3/2012A great dining experience. This was my first visit but i have heard from friends how good this place is. They were not wrong! Good sake selection!Special Features:
- Nozumi is a great sushi spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012Nozumi is a great sushi spot. It was my first visit and I thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant as a whole. They have great speciality rolls! I'd definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent food, with helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012Excellent food, with helpful waitstaff. Everyone in the resteraunt was very approachable and offered suggestions concerning sushi selection. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good place gone bad...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/30/2012Big disappointment!! We had a reservation for 7:00. We were seated right away, ordered our drinks (2 beers and 2 martinis). A few minutes later we placed our appetizer and dinner order and see the guy’s beers waiting patiently to be delivered to our table.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 6/23/2012Service was terrible. Took 15 minutes to get our initial drinks and over 45 minutes to get a glass of water. We ordered 4 rolls with the intention of ordering more however our server never came by to ask how our food was and if we would like another drink. We had to ask the manager for water and our check. We were there for almost 2 hours and left hungry and went to somewhere else for more food. DO NOT Waste your time here you will end up disapointed and frustrated. Our servers name was David.
- The food was very good--weOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2012The food was very good--we especially enjoyed the Salmon Tataki and Black Widow rolls, as well as the calamari fries--but the evening was really spoiled by the service. We had been waiting for the last member of our party to join us, and once she did, we sat for quite a while before finally having to ask for a waiter. Drinks were refilled only when specifically requested. One of my sushi rolls did not come out with the rest of the food, and after waiting several minutes, finally had to ask about it. Several more minutes went by with no update, until finally it was brought out. It was difficult to distinguish busboys from waiters, and the busboys had no idea what was going on or any interest in finding out if the waiter wasn't in sight.
- Our waitress did not comeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2012Our waitress did not come to our table for 25 minutes, we had to ask the hostess to send the waitress to our table. The lack of service would keep my wife and I from coming back.
- Food was very tasty and wellJTOLDined on 6/15/2012Food was very tasty and well prepared.It was hard to decide what to order from their ample menu. We will definitely be back. The service was top notch. A nice relaxing quiet refuge.Special Features:
- We had an early dinner atfernrxDined on 6/12/2012We had an early dinner at 6 PM and they only had 2 waiters for the whole room so, naturally, service was incredibly slow especially at check time. Always a waitstaff mistake. LOL Anyway, the food was delicious as always and we tried new rolls that were outstanding. The sake bloody mary and dessert creme brulee were delicious. Definitely going back. The Arboretum had a $20 off $60 special on so that made it even more fun.Special Features:
- The food was delicious! WeNDDGDined on 6/9/2012The food was delicious! We started with the pan seared shrimp as an appetizer-- the coconut and pineapple gave it a nice tropical taste. For dinner, we had Mongolian Pork Chops and Day Boat Scallops. Both were cooked perfectly and excellently seasoned. This was our first time there and we will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Good food, HORRIBLE service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/7/2012Good food, HORRIBLE service!! Poor wine selections. Probably worst dining experience in my lifetime.
- Probably a really good sushiLuv2dineDined on 5/24/2012Probably a really good sushi restaurant. We had entrees and they were small and pricey.Special Features:
- Great food with decent drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/21/2012Great food with decent drinks. Overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- Great lunch. Sushi alwaysBigCatDined on 5/11/2012Great lunch. Sushi always fresh and the sakitina was refreshingly icy cold. Service very attentive and although we arrived just before their early afternoon closing, we received all service without feeling we needed to leave.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, this was theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/28/2012Unfortunately, this was the worst service we had ever had. Had a reservation at 7:30 and still didnt have our Sushi by 9. My friend ordered a meal WITHOUT peppers which came about 15 minutes before the rest of our food WITH PEPPERS. When she sent it back the waiter asked if she wanted a new one???? We over-heard 2 other tables complaining as well.
- Forgetable experiencePPMFDined on 4/20/2012Brown rice not available, was offered fried rice instead. What??? I'm looking for healthier alternative and I'm offered even greasier alternative? Food was ok for both of us, not memorable.
- Great food. Innovative sushiSaneyDined on 4/9/2012Great food. Innovative sushi made with excellent ingredients. They've got some creative cocktails as well. Everything was top notch.Special Features:
- We had reservations at 8:00lisajoVIPDined on 4/7/2012We had reservations at 8:00 & once we were seated, it took a while for the waiter to acknowledge us. Once he took our drink order again we waited for a while before he brought it out. He didn't seem that busy with other tables either.Special Features:
- Sushi loverHirschVIPDined on 3/31/2012Great sushi, set in private room and had a wonderful evening. Enjoyed the sake selection alsoSpecial Features:
- We asked for chef's choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/27/2012We asked for chef's choice of sushi and sashimi and gave a generous price point. The selection and presentation and quality was phenomenal. Very impressed with the sushi chef.Special Features:
- The best Uni in town...foodAnandVIPDined on 3/18/2012The best Uni in town...food presentation was spectacular and the sashimi was wonderful ..Special Features:
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/18/2012The food at Nozumi never dissapoints. The bulgogi, sushi and burger are very, very good. Wait staff is friendly and attentative.Special Features: