Novitá - New York City, Manhattan
102 East 22nd Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Novitá - New York City, Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://novitanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126772222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Fregonese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are available at the restaurant in a private room for up to 12 guests, or the entire restaurant is available for up to 60 guests.
A word from Novitá - New York City, Manhattan
Novita is a vibrant 60-seat trattoria serving a seasonally inspired, modern Italian menu. Chef owner Marco Fregonese’s innovative take on classical, regional cooking begins with the finest, artisan ingredients and freshest, seasonal products. His distinctive light and flavorful dishes are pure and satisfying and perfectly complemented by a select list of wines from superb Italian specialty and boutique growers. Novita is located a few steps down from a quiet tree lined street in the Gramercy Park neighborhood. The setting is warm and elegant and the mood quintessentially Italian. In pleasant weather, sidewalk, alfresco dining is offered further adding to Novita’s year round appeal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Novitá - New York City, Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (72)fit for foodies (53)romantic (33)special occasion (29)great for lunch (23)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (14)hot spot (10)good for groups (9)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wonderful staff and great foodKmacVIPDined on 10/21/2014The staff at Novita make you feel exceptionally welcome. In particular, as there was a short 10 minute wait for our table, we were offered a glass of wine- which was a lovely gesture. The decor is warm and cosy, and our food was absolutely delicious. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- FoodJohnjohnDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant is always consistent, the food is amazing and the staff is the best! You will never be disappointed and make sure you make reservations!! The best Italian on the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnereatwithemDined on 10/15/2014A wonderful blend of understated elegance, warmth, and good food. We were greeted at the door and our table was waiting for us. Our waitress helped us choose a wine based on how we described what we were looking for, and it was perfect. Our dinners were very good -- the special appetizers fantastic, the steak and lamb cooked very close to perfection, but for one chop that was over-cooked. It was my son's birthday and the waitstaff were very sweet and generous with their happy birthday wishes. We had a great time and will return.Special Features:
- Lovely discovery on 22nd StreetRosieGDined on 10/13/2014This was our second visit, the first time we discovered it while walking on 22nd Street, looking for some place to eat on an early Saturday evening. Although the restaurant was already full, with reservations pending, they offered us a table with the understanding that we would only have 45 minutes before the customers arrive for that table. We took it. Enjoyed a glass of wine and delicious pasta. Service, even in that short window of time, was gracious and felt unhurried. We returned WITH a reservation and a full meal. Food was delicious, service was excellent...I recommend the rack of lamb. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIMEGregVIPDined on 10/11/2014Food was frozen, service was poor. Eggplant parm was frozen in the middle and then it came back out oft he kitchen in a minute bubbling. They microwave their food. We arrived at 9pm and completely finished eating appetizers and entrees by 9:35. We were in and out because nothing was made fresh. This place was literally a glorified diner. There are so many places in nyc for the same cost (if that's your concern) where you can eat fresh and great food. Itruly is a restaurant in the same neighborhood you may want to to try but don't go here.
- Excellent food!EatgreatfoodDined on 10/11/2014Our table ordered, the filet mignon, the tuna, and the rack of lamb. I have to say that I would have been more than happy, if I had ordered any one of these dishes. The tuna was wonderfully seared on the outside and the perfect rare in the center. Outstanding! The cooking of the beef and lamb was also outstanding. The gelato for dessert was so flavorful! Really the perfect meal. Great wine list too.Special Features:
- unpretentious but specialEventConciergeDined on 10/11/2014Restaurant very crowded and the service was a bit rushed, but we loved the food and the drinks. Just came back from Portugal and noticed they offered Fonseca Reserve 27 Port-- which is very good. We would definitely go back again. Scallops were very tender and the pasta was well prepared.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood placedenverchowhoundDined on 10/10/2014Pleasant restaurant with tables that are a bit too close together---but we were there early enough that this was not an issue. Friendly staff, good service. Had two very nice main courses: shrimp and wild bass. Very good salad with mushrooms and good mixed greens salad with shaved parmessan. Both very nice. We also had a great tiramasu. Ideal spot for pre theatre.Special Features:
- Favorite NY ItalianjfoodhVIPDined on 10/8/2014Every time we are in NYC, we visit Novita. The food is excellent and for NY, the prices are acceptable. Never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the botheralzeVIPDined on 9/29/2014Not bad, not good. Ambiance is tired, cramped and boring. Service was just barely ok and a bit frantic. Food wasn't bad but i've had much better in a much better environment... so why bother.Special Features:
- Delicious!foodie4lifeDined on 9/27/2014Our first time at Novita was a complete home run. We chose the restaurant based on excellent online reviews and our experience exceeded our expectations. We ordered the Pappardele with lamb ragu and the ravioli - and couldn't stop eating. The service was prompt and unobrusive. We plan to go back as soon as we can.Special Features:
- Outstanding!ZippyVIPDined on 9/26/2014We go here for lunch when we need to sit and relax in a peaceful setting to eat WONDERFUL food. Go with the specials, the lobster salad is delicious and packed with lobster lightly marinated in a vinaigrette. The gazpacho is also delicious with large lumps of crab. Always a treat!Special Features:
- a true gemBenjprodVIPDined on 9/25/2014I am never disappointed at Novita - the food is superb, the tables spaced far enough apart to make conversation relaxed and enjoyable. I feel like I am in Italy when I am there - I Love it!Special Features:
- 03ptxVIPDined on 9/23/2014The place was hopping but not overcrowded. They had plenty of help but service was very slow. I asked for the wine list before our entrees were served, the waiter came back to ask for my choice as he was picking up our plates. Too late! If that wasn't bad enough we had to wait for the check. Not impressed. Too many good restaurants in NYC to put up with thatSpecial Features:
- Really good!almin1204VIPDined on 9/18/2014It was my first time there and I went for a business luncheon. I was really impressed about the menu and food. I will definitely go back! As I was born and raised in Italy, I can confirm that it's AUTHENTIC Italian, no doubt! The Italian waiter was very nice, a fun individual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- “Great food and Nice service”MeetuDined on 9/17/2014The food is very good, authentic italian restaurant. Service is top.We recommend this italian restaurant closed too gramercy park hotelSpecial Features:
- Lovely ExperiencejoyfulfoodieDined on 9/17/2014Novita is a wonderful restaurant. It has everything to make your dining experience memorable. The food was excellent, as was the decor and ambiance. I'll certainly return!Special Features:
- Rushed ServiceNancyNYDined on 9/15/2014We had hardly sat in our chairs and the server was there asking if we would like tap or bottled water, handing us our menus, telling us the specials and asking for our drink order. It seemed like all in the same breadth. If you like efficient service -- this is your restaurant. If you prefer a more leisurely dining experience, you might want to look elsewhere. We also thought the seating was a bit crowded. Ask for the banquette and you will not be jostled. On the positive side, our cocktails and meals were delicious.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food ok.Not as good as previous occasions.Seated @ table by the rest room & kitchen entrance by an unfriendly maitre-de.Did not request a move, as one of the party has great difficulty in moving about.Waiter was oblivious to us-he needed to be called over a few times,as his back was mostly turned to us.
- JohnDined on 9/10/2014Tucked away off Park on 22nd you immediately get the sense this is more of a neighborhood place rather than the big noisy eateries right on Park. White table cloths and cream walls glow under the pretty sconces. It's Italian of course and it's all prepared very well. All dishes more than satisfied the 5 at our table. Service was friendly but not intrusive. Just the way most people like it I assume. In all it seems like the perfect place to have a lovely meal with good friends surrounded by others who appear to be doing the same.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2014Outstanding food in a small room with lovely lighting. (Tables are very close together and place can get very noisy.) Nevertheless, one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoselyndDined on 9/6/2014I'm sorry to say I would not recommend this restaurant. I ordered portabella salad - it was very bland . My entree of scallops and shrimp was not enjoyable. The shrimp were over cooked and without taste. My husband had the crab cake to start and enjoyed it.
- EnzoDined on 9/4/2014Food was good, well prepared,but nothing special.Maybe just what I ordered, the chicken was bland.Very good service, nice, buzzy space.
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/3/2014Novita is consistently one of the city's best Italian restaurants. Its decor is minimal, tables are jammed together, but who cares? Prices are reasonable, and the food is flat-out terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Food and service were excellent and we were not rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 8/24/2014I've dined at Novita dozens of times over the years and never -- never -- been disappointed. The menu and specials seldom change, but such wonderful and dependable cucina! Manhattan may have a dozen trattorias as good but none is better. Novita's decor is severe, and seating is cramped. But who cares? The food is magnifico.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We had an amazing time at novita! Great service and food!Special Features:
- Consistently great restaurantkdwnkDined on 8/16/2014Great restaurant. Always consistently good with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a neighborhood gempinkbugVIPDined on 8/15/2014Although we live around the corner and eat here regularly, it isn't only because of its convenience. The food is always superb and the authentic waiters are genuinely caring.Special Features:
- Novitá never disappointsSFtechieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Novita reliably serves up some of the most delicious Italian dishes in NYC. This restaurant is not trying to re-invent food but sticks to its core offerings, which are ample and varied, and delivers them with excellent service from its all-Italian wait staff. I typically order from the list of specials recited by the waiter, especially if the amazing house-made pasta with black truffles is available. The owner himself, Giuseppe (from Milano), is there in person almost every night, welcoming guests and making sure things run smoothly. The result is that Novitá makes you feel like you are in the best restaurant of a small Italian town, known only to the locals. In NYC of course there are many locals, so expect it to be packed and lively.Special Features:
- Novita always is wonderful!ALS9Dined on 8/4/2014I live in the same building as Novita and have been dining there since they opened many years ago. It has always been my go-to place for contemporary Italian food. Whenever I try a different Italian restaurant, I'm always disappointed and wish I had spent the money at Novita. I have even brought friends from Rome there and they were surprised how authentic the food is- and we're not talking spaghetti and meatballs. The staff is thoughtful and lovely. In fact, I just was there for my daughter's 16th birthday, and they brought us free drinks (hers nonalcoholic) and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated....RosemaryChicagoDined on 8/2/2014Good food but overpriced-and when entrees did not arrive and it was clear our order had been misplaced, there was nothing offered but am offhanded "sorry"- (We have dined in lovely restaurants where we have been offered a glass of wine or a dessert as an apology for such an oversight)
- 4th visit here.SeraVIPDined on 8/1/2014I live right down the street and have visited this place a few times. The good: Black spaghetti is amazing! Lovely with fresh, plentiful seafood. One thing I really appreciate about Novita is the emphasis on freshness. Both our appetizers and entrees were lightly seasoned and NOT swimming in oil or extra preservatives. I ate at Babbo, supposedly one of the best pasta restaurants, the next night and again ordered the black spaghetti. At Babbo, it was swimming in butter/oil. No thank you. Ambiance is quiet but friendly, good for groups and couples alike. My one gripe is that the wines by the glass are on the more pricey side. They had one $13 red wine and the rest for $16. For a neighborhood drop-by, that's a bit much.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant and I eat there several times per month. The food is always fresh and delicious - especially the fish.Special Features:
- our mistake?jbrbVIPDined on 7/29/2014I walked into the restaurant and it smelled outrageously delicious. I was with a friend and we each had an appetizer that was just okay. My entree sea bass was very nice but the artichokes it came with were not at all . She had the tuna with pasta which she said was also just okay Maybe we made a mistake by not having just pasta
- Fun and authenticcoffeedrinkerDined on 7/28/2014The ambiance was great. Salad was good, but entrees were just average. I ordered one of the specials, pasta with truffles and there was three small flecks of truffle and not much else on the noodles. My husband suspected something hen he saw me go after the salt and pepper for a third time .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky enough to get a table!SuprinaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Then you are in for a treat! It is wonderful. This is coming from a foodie. You will see many reviews written by me for here. With all the places to go in NYC this is one of the few that merit making it a habit! For warned the shrimp and crab salad is addictive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plopping the bill during dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014We had a wonderful meal and was having a great time until the middle of dessert. During our dessert the waitress plopped down the bill. I guess it was a sign we had to leave. Very rude and disconcerting for us. What a way to end the meal. If we were going to have an after dinner drink that went by the wayside. Yuck. Incredibly disappointing way to end a wonderful meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting youngerSoleburyArtsDined on 7/17/2014After a dozen enjoyable dinners over the years this time it felt much more crowded, we were 5 but squeezed into table for four; too loudSpecial Features:
- Small tight place, decent foodNoojesDined on 7/11/2014We were a group of 6 on a round table which was a bit too cozy. It was obviously not meant for 6 people. Our waitress was VERY nice but the servers were a bit rude. Overall a good experience but more of a neighborhood place and I definitely won't come there with 6 people again. Probably a cute cozy place for a couple.Special Features: