Novitá - New York City, Manhattan
102 East 22nd Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Novitá - New York City, Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://novitanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126772222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marco Fregonese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties are available at the restaurant in a private room for up to 12 guests, or the entire restaurant is available for up to 60 guests.
A word from Novitá - New York City, Manhattan
Novita is a vibrant 60-seat trattoria serving a seasonally inspired, modern Italian menu. Chef owner Marco Fregonese’s innovative take on classical, regional cooking begins with the finest, artisan ingredients and freshest, seasonal products. His distinctive light and flavorful dishes are pure and satisfying and perfectly complemented by a select list of wines from superb Italian specialty and boutique growers. Novita is located a few steps down from a quiet tree lined street in the Gramercy Park neighborhood. The setting is warm and elegant and the mood quintessentially Italian. In pleasant weather, sidewalk, alfresco dining is offered further adding to Novita’s year round appeal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Novitá - New York City, Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (46)romantic (40)special occasion (34)great for lunch (23)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (16)hot spot (9)good for groups (7)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- NicknameVIPDined on 8/24/2014I've dined at Novita dozens of times over the years and never -- never -- been disappointed. The menu and specials seldom change, but such wonderful and dependable cucina! Manhattan may have a dozen trattorias as good but none is better. Novita's decor is severe, and seating is cramped. But who cares? The food is magnifico.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We had an amazing time at novita! Great service and food!Special Features:
- Consistently great restaurantkdwnkDined on 8/16/2014Great restaurant. Always consistently good with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a neighborhood gempinkbugVIPDined on 8/15/2014Although we live around the corner and eat here regularly, it isn't only because of its convenience. The food is always superb and the authentic waiters are genuinely caring.Special Features:
- Novita always is wonderful!ALS9Dined on 8/4/2014I live in the same building as Novita and have been dining there since they opened many years ago. It has always been my go-to place for contemporary Italian food. Whenever I try a different Italian restaurant, I'm always disappointed and wish I had spent the money at Novita. I have even brought friends from Rome there and they were surprised how authentic the food is- and we're not talking spaghetti and meatballs. The staff is thoughtful and lovely. In fact, I just was there for my daughter's 16th birthday, and they brought us free drinks (hers nonalcoholic) and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated....RosemaryChicagoDined on 8/2/2014Good food but overpriced-and when entrees did not arrive and it was clear our order had been misplaced, there was nothing offered but am offhanded "sorry"- (We have dined in lovely restaurants where we have been offered a glass of wine or a dessert as an apology for such an oversight)
- 4th visit here.SeraVIPDined on 8/1/2014I live right down the street and have visited this place a few times. The good: Black spaghetti is amazing! Lovely with fresh, plentiful seafood. One thing I really appreciate about Novita is the emphasis on freshness. Both our appetizers and entrees were lightly seasoned and NOT swimming in oil or extra preservatives. I ate at Babbo, supposedly one of the best pasta restaurants, the next night and again ordered the black spaghetti. At Babbo, it was swimming in butter/oil. No thank you. Ambiance is quiet but friendly, good for groups and couples alike. My one gripe is that the wines by the glass are on the more pricey side. They had one $13 red wine and the rest for $16. For a neighborhood drop-by, that's a bit much.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant and I eat there several times per month. The food is always fresh and delicious - especially the fish.Special Features:
- our mistake?jbrbVIPDined on 7/29/2014I walked into the restaurant and it smelled outrageously delicious. I was with a friend and we each had an appetizer that was just okay. My entree sea bass was very nice but the artichokes it came with were not at all . She had the tuna with pasta which she said was also just okay Maybe we made a mistake by not having just pasta
- Fun and authenticcoffeedrinkerDined on 7/28/2014The ambiance was great. Salad was good, but entrees were just average. I ordered one of the specials, pasta with truffles and there was three small flecks of truffle and not much else on the noodles. My husband suspected something hen he saw me go after the salt and pepper for a third time .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky enough to get a table!SuprinaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Then you are in for a treat! It is wonderful. This is coming from a foodie. You will see many reviews written by me for here. With all the places to go in NYC this is one of the few that merit making it a habit! For warned the shrimp and crab salad is addictive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plopping the bill during dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014We had a wonderful meal and was having a great time until the middle of dessert. During our dessert the waitress plopped down the bill. I guess it was a sign we had to leave. Very rude and disconcerting for us. What a way to end the meal. If we were going to have an after dinner drink that went by the wayside. Yuck. Incredibly disappointing way to end a wonderful meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting youngerSoleburyArtsDined on 7/17/2014After a dozen enjoyable dinners over the years this time it felt much more crowded, we were 5 but squeezed into table for four; too loudSpecial Features:
- Small tight place, decent foodNoojesDined on 7/11/2014We were a group of 6 on a round table which was a bit too cozy. It was obviously not meant for 6 people. Our waitress was VERY nice but the servers were a bit rude. Overall a good experience but more of a neighborhood place and I definitely won't come there with 6 people again. Probably a cute cozy place for a couple.Special Features:
- Simple heavenpatdanDined on 7/11/2014Super food with blessed simplicity shows a great respect for the ingredients. And all hail the chef who doesn't drown the dish in sauce! Oh---those mushrooms!Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 7/7/2014Novita is a favorite. The food is reliably toothsome, the service is professional, and there's little nonsense about the experience. The decor is ho-hum, and space is tight, but Novita's Italian kitchen is so good that nothing else matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try the Shrimp and Crab Salad!SuprinaVIPDined on 7/7/2014Novita is wonderful. All who work there have a passionate way of creating a wonderful experience for each dinner. You are not just getting what they are serving! They are serving you. Awesome wine by the glass selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Italian in GramercyDermmomDined on 7/5/2014We enjoyed our dinner-had scallops and shrimp over broccoli rabe and some pastas and salmon. The tagliatelle was tasty but my favorite part of the meal was the goat cheese arugula salad with a toasty creamy round of cheese atop the greens. It was divine-I shared it with my aunt but there was plenty for a appetizer portion. Initially we found the tall server to be a bit curt-perhaps he was annoyed that we didn't order wine?-but he warmed up a little towards the end. The other waitstaff were very pleasant. We will return but I might order pasta next time as I think my taste of my daughter's was better than the seafood I ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would come back any time!foodieGentooDined on 7/3/2014The food is excellent, portions are generous, and service is friendly and professional. An early reservation is best to ensure a quiet experience to celebrate a special occasion or have a good conversation, while a later one is better to enjoy a lively ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was pushy and annoyingzazaDined on 7/2/2014Terrible service. Waiter was pushy on ordering more food and continuously interrupted to ask despite having told him after a few minutes into appetizers that I'll let him know when we're ready to order. Also couldn't really explain any of the 4 reds they offer by the glass. He just told me which one was his favorite. Food is good, but tomatoes weren't very flavorful which made anything we had tomato-based a bit lackluster.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/1/2014A recent discovery of ours, Novita always seems to be full, even early on a Tuesday evening. Lots of families and groups of friends seem to dine here, and the generous portions are at least part of the reason. Decent choice of bottles of wine at the $50 mark too. The menu offers a lot of variety too. It's quite cramped in the dining room, as the tables are very close together, but that's a minor gripe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014The whole staff needs to get over themselves. This is a nice restaurant but not near as cool or as good as they think it is. The host and waiters are way too snobby and think they are too cool for school for a nice neighborhood restaurant like this.
- Service LackingDousedwithwineDined on 6/25/2014We have dined at this neighborhood restaurant periodically over the past few years. The service this time was abrupt, rushed, and sloppy. The most irritating moment was when our server came to pour more wine and my guest raised her hand covering her wine glass and the server proceeded to pour the wine over her hand! Without apology, the server didn't even offer to bring a damp towel for her to clean her hand! The waitress was awful!!!Special Features:
- Service was indifferentFoodDoctorVIPDined on 6/24/2014This is the 2nd time I've eaten here. I was seated in a small side room even though the main room wasn't full. The wait staff was kind, but not terribly attentive. The food was delicious which is why I went back, but there are more than enough italian restaurants to choose from.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2014Novitá was a wonderful dining experience. Appetizers were amazing with large portions. We had the stuffed zucchini flowers which I recommend highly. All the main courses were very good. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Novita 6/19/2014MarmotmanDined on 6/19/2014Food was excellent. Host, waiter, and bus-persons were all polite and attentive. Great wine, but fairly pricey - I had two glasses of pinot noir at $16/glass. The tables are packed in a little tight, which can be "cozy" or "crowded" depending on how you look at it, and how busy it is - I never felt crowded, personally. Nice buzz when the room filled up. My only complaint was they cranked the AC a little too high. There were outdoor tables, but the sidewalk on 22nd St. seemed just a little too narrow - I didn't want to eat quite so close among the passers-by with their dogs and strollers, etc. Overall, I would definitely recommend Novita. Great for a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticMelKDined on 6/12/2014The food here is among the best in the city. The pastas are fresh and fantastic! Can't beat the menu. Really a great spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014The food and service were good. Our table was isolated among four walls although we have made a reservation. The prices could be considered high for the offered overall services.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentChrisVIPDined on 6/5/2014Novita is a consistently excellent Italian restaurant. The room is cozy and chic, the food is delicious, and the service is always impeccable. It's a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Best seared tuna!GustaDined on 5/29/2014My first time here. The food was outstanding, service fine but not notable, got very noisy when restaurant was 100% full (on a Thurs.) Tables are pretty close together, so if you like a spacious feeling, you may not like it. If you're there for great food, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Don't bring a caneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2014Not very hospitable with an early reservation. I was walking with a cane - they wanted to give us a table all they way in the back. crammed the 3 of us at a small table for in the front with staff and diners banging into my chair.Special Features:
- Great for catching upnm9293Dined on 5/28/2014A bit over stuffed inside (even for NYC standards), but was able to catch up with a friend and enjoy delicious food. Great location as well! Just wish we weren't sitting on top of the couple next to us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 5/17/2014Novita's superlative food trumps its spartan decor and uncomfortably cramped seating. The glorious Italian cooking redeems everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodfatNbaldDined on 5/12/2014We enjoyed a lovely evening with excellent service. The Seared Tuna dish was exceptional, the black pasta and the Sea Bass were also very good. Pricing were very reasonable (3 appetizers, 3 main course, 1 dessert, 3 coffees) + service at $210. I will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!SFguyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Novita is a local neighborhood gem that is simply terrific. Great food, attentive staff, reasonably priced; quality on every level. We make a point of going back to it every time we visit New York City. Everything is consistently high quality. We have great neighborhood restaurants in San Francisco, but Novita is a real find in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our FavoritesTabithaDined on 5/9/2014Fantastic little upscale Italian place in Flatiron/ Gramercy area. We have eaten here many times in the last fifteen years. Pastas, meats and fish - all excellent & fresh. Nice wine list with reasonable prices - one of our favorite haunts in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerPlaygoerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Six of us each had a delicious dinner. No food complaints and plenty of kudos! My halibut filet was fantastic, all salads were great, osso bucco was delicious, pastas were wonderful as well. The place was hopping and many we're waiting for tables, thus a rather frenetic atmosphere. The service could have been a bit more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/8/2014I have enjoyed dining at Novita on several occasions in recent years. However, this time my experience was unpleasant. The table I was seated at with 3 others was practically in the aisle. My back was actually in the busy aisle where patrons entered the dining room, waiters passed with trays and drinks (the bar was just in back of me). It was also very drafty in that spot. The small main dining room was particularly over-crowded but they should not have put a table in the place where ours was. No one should have been seated in the seat where I was. Service was very slow and spotty. The food was outstanding, as ever. However, I was uncomfortable and cramped, throughout the very prolonged unrelaxing meal.Special Features:
- Indifferent service mediocre foodFicoVIPDined on 5/6/2014I have been to Novita several times over the years and it has really lost its touch. Our appetizers arrived instantly after we placed our order so they were clearly made earlier in the evening. Caprese salad, an $18 special, had a tasteless tomato and one basil leaf. Why offer this as a special if the tomatoes aren't good? Both pasta dishes were decent but no better than what is served at a lesser restaurant. The runners placed both appetizers & later our pastas in front of the wrong person with a touch of fanfare.
- loud but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014the resturant was extremly loud and nosey.the tables were to close together.you could hardly hear yourself talking,however the food was excellentSpecial Features: