Novita Bistro & Lounge
25 New Street
Metuchen, NJ 08840Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Novita Bistro & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.novitanj.com/
- Phone: 7325495306x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00 pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00 pm, late night menu until midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: John Manzo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Off premise catering available for take out & delivery. For more information, please call.
- Private Party Facilities: We specialize in private functions of every kind. We offer a private wine room which can accoomodate up to 30 persons & can accomodate up to 150 people total. Our catering menu is available on our website.
- Private Party Contact: Carlo Badalamenti 7325495306x
- Entertainment: Live entertainment every Thursday, Friday & Saturday night. Please call to confirm entertainment schedule.
- Special Events: Guarachi Family Wine Dinner - Thursday, March 14
Johnny Walker Tasting - Wednesday, March 27
Ramey Cellars Wine Dinner - Thursday, May 30
- Cross Street: Pearl Street
- Public Transit: Metuchen train station is a few minutes' walk from us.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available in the municipal lot directly across from our location, as well as on the street. The meters are free after 6pm Monday through Saturday and all day on Sundays. Stickered parking is free all day on Saturdays and Sundays.
A word from Novita Bistro & Lounge
Creative, non traditional Italian food utilizing local ingredients whenever possible. Our award-winning wine list consists of 225 bottles, emphasizing Italy & California. We make handcrafted cocktails with fresh juices & infusuions. We also offer live entertainment on the weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Novita Bistro & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (10)romantic (10)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Great experience, food was very good, will go again when I'm in the area.Special Features:
- Okok12345Dined on 9/10/2014Waitor and staff was very friendly. The place was cute and quiet with dim lighting and option for outdoor seating. Not sure if it was just our food selections but my friend and I found it to be mediocre and were not very impressed by our entrees. We were so famished we just ate without complaint though.Special Features:
- Not for me.ThedimeDined on 9/6/2014Limited menu, Mediocre food, mediocre service, over priced.
- MENU APPEALS TO ALL TASTESOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014menu is not overwhelming, which allows to concentrate on the available options that cover the whole gamut of tastes. The food is well prepared, well presented and very tasty. The service is attentive and certainly not overbearing, which allows for business conversations without undue interruptions. This is my second visit to this restaurant whilst visiting the area, hence I was not disappointed the first time and certainly not the second. There will be more opportunities to come back as there are still a lot of menu items to explore.Special Features:
- Very good food small portionsBarbarastarreviewDined on 8/29/2014I left satisfied. But portions are small. Too small for some perhapsSpecial Features:
- ErrrrDined on 8/12/2014I loved it, everything about the place! I enjoyed it and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheBigGuyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Food and drink were very good, as they usually are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was very goodBIGeaterDined on 8/5/2014went on a tuesday evening, most diners were dining outside. we stayed indoors. food was very good. only complaint, intially the server who sat us could not find my opentable reservation. it was resolved after the manager stepped in. portions are small, but very tasty. scallops appetizer was a serving of two scallops. bibb salad with pears was delicious. i had the tuesday-pasta prix fixe menu...the 3 varieties of pasta i chose were excellent. my husband had the steak and he enjoyed it, it was cooked to his liking and was a decent size portion. cheesecake desert was very good.Special Features:
- Date NightHealthyGirlDined on 8/2/2014Went to Novita for a first date. The staff was friendly and the ambience was great. I had the salmon w/polenta cake. I enjoyed it. My date, who is Italian, did not enjoy his food. Calamari served with an orange-looking sauce, salad, rigatoni and a chicken dish. The date went well, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food with MusicJohnGVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I were at Novita for Dinner on a Saturday late evening. As always, the food was great. While the restaurant is known to be pricy for Dinners, it was "just right" for the ambience. The experience was enhanced given the music with a perfect mix with our genre of interest. We enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent PlacejmartDined on 7/26/2014Love going to Novita, it is a class place , AWESOME wine listSpecial Features:
- Wouldn't come backMumsyaDined on 6/25/2014We wanted to spend an evening at the quiet place with piano playing on the background there was a piano, rather mediocre performance, but after all it's not Carnegy Hall. The food was very average. The had pork night special, their signature dish described as " Slow cooked pork shoulder..." turned out to be a tiny slice of none descript chewy piece of meat very fatty accompanied by patty shaped deep fried mashed potato blob. That looked previously frozen My scallop was just ok. Service was friendly good and the choices in te bar were good, too. We did not eat DesertSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood GemFyllbVIPDined on 6/20/2014The chef is great. Very creative. The pork chop is outstanding. The pasta dishes are excellent we go on Friday when there is great free music as a bonusSpecial Features:
- Home made PastaStatenIslanderVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food was delicious and you must try one of the homemade pasta dishes. Everything was delicious straight thru to dessert. Wait staff was attentive without being obtrusive. A nice find!Special Features:
- The good stuff!sibaritaVIPDined on 6/6/2014The use top notch ingredients, and I am happy with the portions not being huge like some restaurants. Definitely quality over quantity. I had the duck with a savory black truffle bread pudding that was amazing. I wish their support staff just looked a little happier to be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little noisy but not badBillythechefDined on 5/30/2014Had dinner on a Friday night. When we arrived at 7:30 we were seated right away. The wait staff is very attentive but can be somewhat intrusive in their zeal to please. Initially we felt rushed but that slowed down as the room filled and orders went in. Overall the experience was ok. Food was good especially the caramel gelato desert! The wine suggestion by the sommelier was very good. The live music was energetic and enjoyable but the overall sound level was very high. (conversation, not the band).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Novita Bistro & Lounge reviews archive.
- Excellent pasta - homemadeAndyDined on 5/20/2014Ordered 3 piece pasta sampler: the hardest part was to chose only 3 off the menu. Amazing seasoning. Paired with a nice Barbera d'Alba from an amazing wine list at reasonable prices (a Brunello for 67$ ...). Wonderful service, while sitting outside on a nice late-May evening. Worth a detour from I-95 on your way from/to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our Favs.......fultonVIPDined on 5/17/2014Love Love Love Novitas...............Food, wervice, wine list and vibe are outstanding. The salmon and branzino and accompanying pasta dishes and salads were better than ever on Saturday. And we do love the music of George Fitzsimmons.............Special Features:
- Nice Ambiance, Average foodfoodjazz64Dined on 5/17/2014Nice ambiance, very good service, good wine list, but overpriced for average quality food, though presented very well. I must also mention that the raspberry sorbet and cheesecake for dessert, housemade or not, was not spectacular.Special Features:
- Great music/jazzmaxrocksDined on 5/16/2014Regular great live jazz makes this place a gem. Nice ambiance food and service is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seasonal ExperiencePassion4cuisineDined on 5/9/2014We have experienced both great and forgetful nights in the past 2 years. While the service remains the constant, the food is either very good or average at best. I can best describe my desire to return, as a twice a month visit to once every 3 months. Seasonal experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectaculardelectableVIPDined on 5/6/2014This restaurant is great. I have been a handful of times and am always so pleased with the entire experience. Restaurant is quiet and beautiful - there are never many people here at all which is a shame because it is such a great place! The waiters are extremely knowledgeable and the food is top notch. My mouth is watering just thinking about the ricotta appetizer. They always have specials and if you check out their website they have pasta night, pork night, vegetarian night, etc. on certain nights of the week. Fantastic place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great spot, i am injmartDined on 4/12/2014Just a great spot, i am in the wine business and the wine list is well thought out and eclectic in some slections. The food is imaginative and super fresh and the service is impeccableSpecial Features:
- A Gem off Main StreetFishDined on 4/4/2014What a wonderful surprise. Was looking for a restaurant to meet friends half way. It was worth the 40 minute ride. Food was delicious. Our server Oscar was so accommodating. it proves that good service can take a wonderful dinner and make it a great experience as well. There was even a very talented singer at the bar. Overall, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have dined here many times,TheBigGuyVIPDined on 3/29/2014We have dined here many times, and it is usually very good, but this was disappointing to all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for a birthday. The foodfoodieluvsDined on 3/27/2014Went for a birthday. The food was delicious and the service was amazing. There even was a piano player that night. Overall just a great experience. I'm definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- strawberryVIPDined on 3/20/2014We go for the live jazz but also love the food and drinks. Always a nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the price fixe special -DfromDelawareVIPDined on 3/5/2014I had the pork price fixe special - it was outstanding and a great way to try a few different dishes - servings are generous and you will be delighted with all of the different dishes you get to try also the staff is very knowledgable in helping you choose the correct wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good the second timeSteviebooVIPDined on 3/1/2014We tried Novita a few weeks ago after a movie. My recollection was that the salad was fine and my duck was good with a tasty sauce. This time I ordered the Roquefort and pear salad, which was all right but the dressing was bland. The same can be said of the chicken. The sauce just had no flavor. Finally, we ordered pound cake with ice cream. I prefer Sara Lee. It just didn't come close to the first visit.
- We consider Novita an absoluteLAvisitorDined on 2/27/2014We consider Novita an absolute standby... always good food with interesting selections.Special Features:
- Excellent!Luv2EatDined on 2/22/2014My dining experience is always wonderful when I come to this restaurant. The food is superb, the service is excellent, and the restaurant is beautiful inside. It has a very intimate feel. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's DayJohnGVIPDined on 2/14/2014Relaxed, comfortable evening dining with my Spouse on Valentine's Day, special Event hosted by the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is probably the bestMauriDined on 2/14/2014This is probably the best restaurant I have ever taken anyone out to eat at. I went there for Valentines day and it hit the mark as far as quality and ambiance. It was almost like a scene out of a romantic movie with the musician playing the piano and singing. The food was superb and the service was excellent. Although the price was a bit steep, if you are looking to impress, Novitas Bistro and Lounge is the choice you want to make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great AtmosphereDebbieWVIPDined on 1/28/2014My colleague and I tried this spot for the first time after hearing about it. We stay in Edison and eat sometimes in Metuchen. We left here thinking that the food was great and the bar was great for people looking for some nice ambiance while out of town. The Juliard student playing the piano was nice. And, we understand they have bigger jazz Thur, Fri, Sat. We will eat there again.Special Features:
- Although we go to this restaurantstrawberryVIPDined on 1/24/2014Although we go to this restaurant for the live jazz, the food is great although a bit pricey relative to the portions served. We especially enjoy the fish and vegetable dishes and soups and salads, as we're not meat eaters. Drinks are great too, they even have my favorite hard to find sazerac.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing!! My fiancéJderwin26VIPDined on 1/20/2014Absolutely amazing!! My fiancé and I were so pleasantly surprised. The food was incredible, the service was attentive, and the restaurant was lovely. I had the bolognese and it was delicious. My fiancé had the salmon and he really enjoyed his dish as well. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Service!CusefanDined on 1/18/2014And a good bar area for waiting or an after dinner drink.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Year's Eve Dinner PartyJohnVDined on 12/31/2013Our 6-member party had a great New Year's Eve dinner at Novita. It was a prix fixe menu; but there were so many selections from the restaurant's usual menu we were all very satisfied. The servce was especially professional and attentive, even though it was a very busy dining room. We also enjoyed some special wines from the restaurant's eclectic list. We feel very welcome here.Special Features:
- First timer...good experience.NicksPickDined on 12/13/2013Productive business lunch. Perfect storm of service, food and location. Home made ice cream made for great ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go For Their Pasta Sampling NightMaryDined on 12/10/2013Every Tuesday, they have a pasta sampling night with 3 courses of their pasta and dessert. It was wonderful. You get to pick any 3 pastas from their menu. It is worth the trip.Special Features: