358 W Ontario St, 1-B
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nouveautavern.com/
- Phone: 3129154100x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon.-Wed. 5:00 p.m. – Midnight
Thurs. 5:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.
Fri. 5:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.
Sat. 5:00 p.m. – 3:00 a.m.
Sun 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Thurs.-Fri. at 10:30 p.m., experience Nouveau Nights.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Southern
- Executive Chef: Norman Hargrove
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz
A word from Nouveau Tavern
Nouveau Tavern is home to Southern- and New Orleans-style cuisine in the River North neighborhood of Chicago. The menu, created by Executive Chef Norman Hargrove, formerly of The Peninsula Hotel Chicago, consists of an assortment of traditional Southern and New Orleans dishes.Continued
Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the restaurant morphs into Nouveau Nights and the nightlife kicks into full gear.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the restaurant morphs into Nouveau Nights and the nightlife kicks into full gear.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Nouveau Tavern - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Nouveau Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (22)special occasion (19)late-night find (19)hot spot (17)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (13)romantic (10)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Hidden HotspotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Outstanding food...seasoned to perfection! Our server was the best!Special Features:
- Really a Sports bar typeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed the food. The service was fair; a young wait staff, still getting their bearings on customer service and their roles as wait staff, but pleasant. There was no one at the front desk to greet initially. It really is a sports bar with what appears to be a late night spot, but I wouldn't coin it as a restaurant environment for a true "dining experience".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How Awful Can One Meal Be?cfjruoutDined on 8/24/2014Myself and 2 friends were enthusiastic and looking forward to a relaxing brunch. What we got was cold, burnt food and slow service. The only thing good about this experience was that the JRWwas on all TV's. That almost too small to read 20% gratuity is not only illegal but insulting. Cold, burnt food and slow service is not worthy of any gratuity. The table next to ours were served their appetizer and meal at the same time just seconds before they were about leave because they were tired of waiting. They were out of grits, hot sauce, served powered cold eggs, and got order wrong. We were extremely disappointed. MY meal was complimentary but it did not make up for the experience. There was not even salt and pepper on the table.
- Good Food!SRC4Dined on 8/22/2014We love the appetizers so much we order seconds. The chicken nachos and the corn bread are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Ambiance!misschitownDined on 8/20/2014I came here to hear the live band perform, which was very enjoyable. We also had delicious cocktails. I would recommend this place to others. I had a really nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great favorite.goodfoodloversDined on 8/10/2014As a small group, we occasionally go to Nouveau for brunch on Sundays. The food is always fantastic. The service is great. The atmosphere is always nice. Highly recommend Nouveau for fans of New Orleans style food and great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd ChanceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014This is my second time visiting this restaurant. I was pleased with the service and food this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Although the food is very tasty, and our server was awesome, the noise level was extremely loud! You could not have a conversation at the table. The drinks were a bit expensive as well. Probably won't go back.
- Amazing ExperienceLuv2DineDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary there and it was amazing. Our server was wonderful and the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNolitnyDined on 8/2/2014Was recommended by a friend. It was very good. The food was delicious. The music that was playing was very nice. Our waitress was nice and informative. She was also honest. I would definitely recommend and come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to rememberJazzyladyDined on 7/26/2014We pulled up and valet parked.. Very kind.. Once we walked in we were greeted and seated right away.. We did have reservations.. Our server Samara was great with appetizer suggestions as well as drinks!! It was our 1st time.. But most definitely will not be our last .. I've been to New Orleans several times and must say the food is great.. Authentic taste..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes!2ndtimesacharmDined on 7/25/2014We had a wonderful experience! The food, waiter Brandon and music were awesome! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PromisingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014The food is really good but the service and price points do not match. It is a great place for single 20 or early 30 something's but didn't work for us, two married couples in our 30s. Our table wasn't ready right away, even though we had a reservation. It took a long time to receive menus and when our food finally came out, it wasn't completely hot. It seems like there were afew large groups that hy were trying to tend to so that could have contributed. Also, the restaurant turns into a club around 9:30/10:00 and the music was very loud. It was difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceBrownSugaDined on 7/12/2014I was celebrating my birthday with family. It was our first time there. It won't be the last. Good was delicious, excellent service & great drinks!Special Features:
- Average food with pricey menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014I visited Nouveau Tavern for dinner and thought some of the options on the menu were over priced. The restaurant was empty when I was there and I imagine this is one of the reason why. The drink prices average $13-$15, prices you would find in nicer steak houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!!pre8tyeyztoyaDined on 7/5/2014Amazing food, amazing service.Everything I tried was absolutely delicious especially the shrimp and Grits. They made my Birthday a truly special day. I loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cajun Food outside La.GlennDined on 7/5/2014After reading positive reviews about the food and so-so reviews about the decor and/or the loudness of the music. We figured we'd eat early enough to avoid the higher levels of noise. However when we arrived there was a party in full swing and we could hardly hear each other talk. Yes, it is like a bar-slash-nightclub, so be prepared but know that the food is absolutely delicious. We had the spinach dip with toasted crostini. Then we had the chicken jambalaya. We chose to get the same dish to do away with "yours tastes better than mine" and see if our opinions match. And match they did. The jambalaya was absolutely, and by far the best I've had outside of La. So was the dip. We'll be back for more. Service was excellent too.Special Features:
- Great food bad experiencereservedseatingDined on 6/28/2014I went to nouveaus on a Saturday night. The food was great and the music was fantastic. However there was and issue with the seating. It wad told that I could sit at a table that I made reservation for, but when they club music started I was asked to leave. I talked to the night manager about it and she was very helpful and polite.the other servers just were a little ride about the whole situation. I also noticed that they were arguing with each other. I think this is very bad for business. The night manager gave us excellent service and hospitality.Special Features:
- One Of Our New FavoritesoldyrokVIPDined on 6/27/2014I'll start off with the only negative. The front door is whitewashed and it made the place looked closed. After that, verything else was great!! The service was outstanding. Our server was extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable. It reminded me of the service I recieve in New Orleans, where they treat you like family. The food was amazing!! We started with the Catfish Po'Boy Sliders and Seafood Gumbo. They were delicious. I had the Shrimp & Grits and it was better than what I have had in New Orleans. My wife got the Chicago Pork Chop and loved it. We were then told we had to find room for the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding. It was sinfully good and I don't even like bread pudding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeREAListDined on 6/22/2014My friend and I truly enjoyed this place. The food is delicious! We had the wings, Johnny Cakes, and crawfish etouffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Transforming Experience!MelsDined on 6/14/2014I wanted to try this place out months ago but I stopped because of some the not so friendly reviews. However, my curiosity got the best of me and I went here for my birthday along with my friend. When we arrived the atmosphere was extremely mellow and relaxing. We we had the most caring and considerate server (I believe her name was Ashley) that was thoroughly accommodating and just a breathe of fresh air. The food with the exception to one of the appettizer's and sides dishes was truly phenomenal! Transforming is a understatement for this place, around 12AM the place metamorphs into this high, energetic nightlife scene which I definitely did not expect, but all in all it was truly pure fun lol. I highly recommend this place for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okayluvrestaurantsDined on 6/13/2014I'm not jumping out of my chair for it, but it was okay. I would go back again but it's not something that I'm eager for. I ordered the catfish which comes with sweet potatoes and a vegetable (although I can't remember what that vegetable was). I was a disappointed b/c everything was piled on top of each other. I think if things were separated, I would've enjoyed my meal definitely. But, every time I tasted fish, I was tasting sweet potatoes which I didn't like. It ruined the meal for me. Also, my husband's shrimp and grits came with onions which was an unwelcome surprise. Would've been nice to see that in the description of the meal. I've visited before and had pork chop w/mac and cheese. Side dishes were great but the pork chop was dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Very excellent staff. Wonderful food. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Delish!foodie2Dined on 5/31/2014Great food! A must try! Appetizer favorite: Wings and cornbread Entrée favorite: Shrimp and gritsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected great...it was better!JerehacoDined on 5/25/2014Elevated soul food. Beautiful space and well appointed. Fantastic customer service. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDinerBCDined on 5/20/2014A very pleasant dinner with excellent food. Menu was fairly limited but offered enough variety to satisfy most tastes. My only disappointment is no small side salad was available. Salads were $10 and the server said they were pretty large. I enjoy salad with my meal but felt this was too pricey and passed. Chicken Louisiana was excellent!Special Features:
- Fun place with great food & drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Celebrated my b-day here. Manager is very young, pretty, smart, and attentive! Food came fast, it was delicious, large-sized portions, and fresh! Drinks were awesome, unique, a little weak (but that's b/c I'm not a lightweight), and the bartenders were soo friendly and handsome! The music was good. Late night hours. The crowd consisted of mostly black people which I was shocked about being that it is River North; however, they seemed to be the upper class level of folk; with money, nice cars, professional type. This place rocks!!Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014Good food but maybe open to more foods I enjoyed the appetizers. It was a very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More of Act IGoodeatsDined on 5/10/2014They were short staff on this specific evening but our server was very pleasant and friendly and was attentive as possible considering she was servicing nearly an entire section alone. The appetizers were delicious however I was disappointed in the meals. Would go back for ambiance and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014All I can say is: THE FOOD! It was absolutely amazing! I intend on dining here at least 1-2 times a month from now on.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Dinner before ConcertOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2014We had an early dinner and the crowd was lite. The food was amazing, I had the Chicago Pork Chop dinner! The server was friendly and attentive. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 125 reviews are from the Nouveau Tavern reviews archive.
- The Nouveau ExperiencechildfreeDined on 5/2/2014This was my first experience at Nouveau Tavern. We were seated immediately but I did not care for the table. It was directly outside of the kitchen entrance and felt a bit isolated. I guess it would be a perfect table if you wanted to have a really intimate conversation. I didn't ask for a different table and am sure that it would not have been a problem. The waitress, was FABULOUS. She was attentive and very friendly. The food was good but there wasn't anything that I tasted that I would absolutely have to have again. The mac and cheese was really good as I usually only like my mothers! I'd go again and give it another shot.Special Features:
- Great Time @ Nouveau TavernHadaperfectnightDined on 4/26/2014Visited Nouveau Tavern for the first time. Would definitely go back. Arrived at 7:00 PM to a light crowd. Just a few diners. Within an hour the restaurant was packed. Very good crowd and activity level. Everyone enjoying themselves. Good atmosphere, service was great and good food. I heard the mashed potatoes were great and they are pretty good. Also, I was dining with a very beautiful woman so it was a perfect night for me. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great service, food and ambiance!CelebratedAnniversaryVIPDined on 4/25/2014We heard about this restaurant from friends and it's a great find. The service at this restaurant is outstanding with a fun and friendly staff. On top of great service is great food - the ribeye is to die for! Would highly recommend this restaurant to young professionals - definitely a popping scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll definitely go back!Marine80Dined on 4/24/2014Live music, great food and awesome service won me over! Nouveau transitions into an after hours hangout very smoothly. I would highly recommend this place for a date or a group celebration/outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort at it's best!!!!luckylyleDined on 4/23/2014The 2 hosts were very friendly;place is very clean; nice decor; a lot of staff members; server - Brandon was extremely nice and kind. He gave me and my partner the best service ever. The chicken and crawfish jambalaya was on point. The burger was great but the sweet potato fries were delicious. The hurricane drink was good, but could have used some more alcohol. The chef came out and informed us that he cooked versus his staff. He was very nice and most of the staff were. It seemed at times that there were too many of them, I hope that they got busier later. I will be back. It is more expensive than I normally pay but i the service and the food paid for the extraordinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Find for Great FoodgoodfoodloversDined on 4/20/2014Looking for a little something different and we found it at Nouveau Tavern. The food has a French influence with a creole twist. It was very good for brunch and the waiter (Jason) was excellent. If you want to try something new and different, Nouveau is your place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014End my vacation here with a great brunch... My fiancee works in the area so he was able to come join us briefly. Conveniently located but mapquest gives long scenic directions. A diamond in the ruff!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Louisiana StyleDivaDiningDined on 4/20/2014This is a great place for brunch especially on Sundays! The service was great and the bottomless mimosas were served without being asked. Our server noticed our glasses were getting low and brought new mimosas! The food is excellent. A little pricey (ranges from $4-30) but overall delicious. The ambiance is nice and as the weather breaks and gets warmer, seating by the open windows is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cajun JewelDeliciouslydivineDined on 4/19/2014The food is delicious, the BBQ shrimp is my favorite. The drinks are great. The presentation of this establishment invites you to come back over and over again. The ambiance draws you in and the staff makes you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.