358 W Ontario St, 1-B
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nouveautavern.com/
- Phone: (312) 915-4100
- Hours of Operation:
Mon.-Wed. 5:00 p.m. – Midnight
Thurs. 5:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.
Fri. 5:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.
Sat. 5:00 p.m. – 3:00 a.m.
Sun 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Thurs.-Fri. at 10:30 p.m., experience Nouveau Nights.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Southern
- Executive Chef: Norman Hargrove
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz
A word from Nouveau Tavern
Nouveau Tavern is home to Southern- and New Orleans-style cuisine in the River North neighborhood of Chicago. The menu, created by Executive Chef Norman Hargrove, formerly of The Peninsula Hotel Chicago, consists of an assortment of traditional Southern and New Orleans dishes.Continued
Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the restaurant morphs into Nouveau Nights and the nightlife kicks into full gear.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the restaurant morphs into Nouveau Nights and the nightlife kicks into full gear.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Nouveau Tavern - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Nouveau Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (18)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (13)late-night find (13)hot spot (13)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (9)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (6)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- StylishdanquixoteDined on 10/25/2014This location has had many incarnations including Japanese and Mexican previously. This time it is New Orleans with the layout and interior updated appropriately. The "signature" drinks were good but pricey. The food was well prepared, tasty, spicy and the portions were ample. THe wait staff was extremely friendly and attentive but not overly so. We got there early and it was quiet and could hear other other; by the time we left it was loud and you had to raise your voice to be heard. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time was NOT a charm...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Completely understaffed! Took 35 min for server to acknowledge us and another 40 min to get food. When it arrived, food was subpar. People dancing in the way of the kitchen, so it was difficult for the service staff to deliver food. Absolutely NO manager presence. Manager should have relocated the dancers to the dance floor. After check was dropped, took another 20 min for the server to come back to take our credit card. Disappointed that catfish sliders are off the menu. Won't be back😒
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Great food and a great staff, period. My wife and myself enjoyed the jumbalaya appetizer tremendously. I had the crawfish etouffe and it was incredible. My wife had the shrimp and grits based upon the waitress' recommendation. My wife doesn't typically eat grits and she said they were amazing. Also, we each had a specialty drink and they did not disappoint. The only negative was the college football game playing on all tvs was very loud. Could've had music instead.
- Will returnParkerDined on 10/1/2014Everything I ate was delicious! There is no need for condiments. I enjoyed the music and it was great that the big screens TVs had the football game on. I will return. Our server, Jason, was very professional. The manager came by the table to check on us; which was appreciated. We went to eat the night before and it was too loud due to a Professional Organization having the "meet & greet". Glad I returned to give them another chance.Special Features:
- Celebrated our anniversary hereSchneiderDined on 9/19/2014We've been coming here since it 1st opened. This place has become my wife's favorite restaurant. The food, ambiance and cocktails were all wonderful. As the night progresses the place turns from a romantic spot to a place to gather for drinks then into a great club atmosphere! We will definitely return and maybe stay for the after hours scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceBMACTVIPDined on 9/17/2014Food was delicious! Everything we had was very tasty- appetizers, drinks and entrees. Impeccable service. Our waitress was warm, helpful and attentive. She made the experince even better. We would definitely go back. It was quite dead on a Wednesday though. The chef delivered our food to the table which is a great touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce but...BrinaDined on 9/6/2014It took over an hour for the food to come out. We were a party of 10 plus but still we really didn't eat for almost 2 hours smhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTheNewMeDined on 9/6/2014I love ambiance and romantic feel it has. The food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience but Horrible DJluv2dineDined on 9/5/2014We had an overall great time just wish the DJ was better. We had dinner and drinks from 9:00pm to 10:30pm. We wanted to hang out longer but the music was putting us to sleep. The DJ that Friday night was the worse DJ in Chicago. We struggled to stay. We ending up leaving at 11:00pm. Wish the music was better everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Service and food not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The location is ideal and the venue is nice however the service is poor and the food not great. We had a 9:00 pm resrevation and we stood at the empty hostess stand for nearly ten minutes before someone came over to greet us. We were then told that they only had two servers working and that the wait would be long. We were offered a seat in a club like booth rather than a dinning table and then proceeded to wiat another 15 minutes for water. We finally ordered and when the food came it was not hot and it was very greasy. We wanted nothing more than to get out of there and asked for the check which took 25 minutes. We were overcharged by $20 by our waitress who deicded to add in her tip for a party of 2. Not a good experience.Special Features:
- Hidden HotspotNikki14Dined on 8/30/2014Outstanding food...seasoned to perfection! Our server was the best!Special Features:
- Really a Sports bar typeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed the food. The service was fair; a young wait staff, still getting their bearings on customer service and their roles as wait staff, but pleasant. There was no one at the front desk to greet initially. It really is a sports bar with what appears to be a late night spot, but I wouldn't coin it as a restaurant environment for a true "dining experience".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How Awful Can One Meal Be?cfjruoutDined on 8/24/2014Myself and 2 friends were enthusiastic and looking forward to a relaxing brunch. What we got was cold, burnt food and slow service. The only thing good about this experience was that the JRWwas on all TV's. That almost too small to read 20% gratuity is not only illegal but insulting. Cold, burnt food and slow service is not worthy of any gratuity. The table next to ours were served their appetizer and meal at the same time just seconds before they were about leave because they were tired of waiting. They were out of grits, hot sauce, served powered cold eggs, and got order wrong. We were extremely disappointed. MY meal was complimentary but it did not make up for the experience. There was not even salt and pepper on the table.
- Good Food!SRC4Dined on 8/22/2014We love the appetizers so much we order seconds. The chicken nachos and the corn bread are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Ambiance!misschitownDined on 8/20/2014I came here to hear the live band perform, which was very enjoyable. We also had delicious cocktails. I would recommend this place to others. I had a really nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great favorite.goodfoodloversDined on 8/10/2014As a small group, we occasionally go to Nouveau for brunch on Sundays. The food is always fantastic. The service is great. The atmosphere is always nice. Highly recommend Nouveau for fans of New Orleans style food and great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd ChanceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014This is my second time visiting this restaurant. I was pleased with the service and food this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Although the food is very tasty, and our server was awesome, the noise level was extremely loud! You could not have a conversation at the table. The drinks were a bit expensive as well. Probably won't go back.
- Amazing ExperienceLuv2DineDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary there and it was amazing. Our server was wonderful and the food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNolitnyDined on 8/2/2014Was recommended by a friend. It was very good. The food was delicious. The music that was playing was very nice. Our waitress was nice and informative. She was also honest. I would definitely recommend and come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to rememberJazzyladyDined on 7/26/2014We pulled up and valet parked.. Very kind.. Once we walked in we were greeted and seated right away.. We did have reservations.. Our server Samara was great with appetizer suggestions as well as drinks!! It was our 1st time.. But most definitely will not be our last .. I've been to New Orleans several times and must say the food is great.. Authentic taste..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 145 reviews are from the Nouveau Tavern reviews archive.
- Yes!2ndtimesacharmDined on 7/25/2014We had a wonderful experience! The food, waiter Brandon and music were awesome! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PromisingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014The food is really good but the service and price points do not match. It is a great place for single 20 or early 30 something's but didn't work for us, two married couples in our 30s. Our table wasn't ready right away, even though we had a reservation. It took a long time to receive menus and when our food finally came out, it wasn't completely hot. It seems like there were afew large groups that hy were trying to tend to so that could have contributed. Also, the restaurant turns into a club around 9:30/10:00 and the music was very loud. It was difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceBrownSugaDined on 7/12/2014I was celebrating my birthday with family. It was our first time there. It won't be the last. Good was delicious, excellent service & great drinks!Special Features:
- Average food with pricey menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014I visited Nouveau Tavern for dinner and thought some of the options on the menu were over priced. The restaurant was empty when I was there and I imagine this is one of the reason why. The drink prices average $13-$15, prices you would find in nicer steak houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!!pre8tyeyztoyaDined on 7/5/2014Amazing food, amazing service.Everything I tried was absolutely delicious especially the shrimp and Grits. They made my Birthday a truly special day. I loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Cajun Food outside La.GlennDined on 7/5/2014After reading positive reviews about the food and so-so reviews about the decor and/or the loudness of the music. We figured we'd eat early enough to avoid the higher levels of noise. However when we arrived there was a party in full swing and we could hardly hear each other talk. Yes, it is like a bar-slash-nightclub, so be prepared but know that the food is absolutely delicious. We had the spinach dip with toasted crostini. Then we had the chicken jambalaya. We chose to get the same dish to do away with "yours tastes better than mine" and see if our opinions match. And match they did. The jambalaya was absolutely, and by far the best I've had outside of La. So was the dip. We'll be back for more. Service was excellent too.Special Features:
- Great food bad experiencereservedseatingDined on 6/28/2014I went to nouveaus on a Saturday night. The food was great and the music was fantastic. However there was and issue with the seating. It wad told that I could sit at a table that I made reservation for, but when they club music started I was asked to leave. I talked to the night manager about it and she was very helpful and polite.the other servers just were a little ride about the whole situation. I also noticed that they were arguing with each other. I think this is very bad for business. The night manager gave us excellent service and hospitality.Special Features:
- One Of Our New FavoritesoldyrokVIPDined on 6/27/2014I'll start off with the only negative. The front door is whitewashed and it made the place looked closed. After that, verything else was great!! The service was outstanding. Our server was extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable. It reminded me of the service I recieve in New Orleans, where they treat you like family. The food was amazing!! We started with the Catfish Po'Boy Sliders and Seafood Gumbo. They were delicious. I had the Shrimp & Grits and it was better than what I have had in New Orleans. My wife got the Chicago Pork Chop and loved it. We were then told we had to find room for the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding. It was sinfully good and I don't even like bread pudding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeREAListDined on 6/22/2014My friend and I truly enjoyed this place. The food is delicious! We had the wings, Johnny Cakes, and crawfish etouffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Transforming Experience!MelsDined on 6/14/2014I wanted to try this place out months ago but I stopped because of some the not so friendly reviews. However, my curiosity got the best of me and I went here for my birthday along with my friend. When we arrived the atmosphere was extremely mellow and relaxing. We we had the most caring and considerate server (I believe her name was Ashley) that was thoroughly accommodating and just a breathe of fresh air. The food with the exception to one of the appettizer's and sides dishes was truly phenomenal! Transforming is a understatement for this place, around 12AM the place metamorphs into this high, energetic nightlife scene which I definitely did not expect, but all in all it was truly pure fun lol. I highly recommend this place for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okayluvrestaurantsDined on 6/13/2014I'm not jumping out of my chair for it, but it was okay. I would go back again but it's not something that I'm eager for. I ordered the catfish which comes with sweet potatoes and a vegetable (although I can't remember what that vegetable was). I was a disappointed b/c everything was piled on top of each other. I think if things were separated, I would've enjoyed my meal definitely. But, every time I tasted fish, I was tasting sweet potatoes which I didn't like. It ruined the meal for me. Also, my husband's shrimp and grits came with onions which was an unwelcome surprise. Would've been nice to see that in the description of the meal. I've visited before and had pork chop w/mac and cheese. Side dishes were great but the pork chop was dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Very excellent staff. Wonderful food. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Delish!foodie2Dined on 5/31/2014Great food! A must try! Appetizer favorite: Wings and cornbread Entrée favorite: Shrimp and gritsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected great...it was better!JerehacoDined on 5/25/2014Elevated soul food. Beautiful space and well appointed. Fantastic customer service. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDinerBCDined on 5/20/2014A very pleasant dinner with excellent food. Menu was fairly limited but offered enough variety to satisfy most tastes. My only disappointment is no small side salad was available. Salads were $10 and the server said they were pretty large. I enjoy salad with my meal but felt this was too pricey and passed. Chicken Louisiana was excellent!Special Features:
- Fun place with great food & drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Celebrated my b-day here. Manager is very young, pretty, smart, and attentive! Food came fast, it was delicious, large-sized portions, and fresh! Drinks were awesome, unique, a little weak (but that's b/c I'm not a lightweight), and the bartenders were soo friendly and handsome! The music was good. Late night hours. The crowd consisted of mostly black people which I was shocked about being that it is River North; however, they seemed to be the upper class level of folk; with money, nice cars, professional type. This place rocks!!Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014Good food but maybe open to more foods I enjoyed the appetizers. It was a very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More of Act IGoodeatsDined on 5/10/2014They were short staff on this specific evening but our server was very pleasant and friendly and was attentive as possible considering she was servicing nearly an entire section alone. The appetizers were delicious however I was disappointed in the meals. Would go back for ambiance and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014All I can say is: THE FOOD! It was absolutely amazing! I intend on dining here at least 1-2 times a month from now on.Special Features: