Notting Hill Restaurant and Bar
1106 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Notting Hill Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://nottinghillrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7032994590
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Brinch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Notting Hill Restaurant and Bar
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Notting Hill Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Better than the movieLovingFoodVIPDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I went here for the first time and ordered the Cornish Hen and Crab Cakes. I had Malbec by the glass and she had a Syrah. The food was great and the portions large. I love Malbec so might be a little biased when I say the one I selected was not worth the price per glass but it's what people in the DC area seem to be willing to pay for a glass of just average wine. The outside ambience is definitely pleasant and we'll absolutely return. Don't be put off by my wine snobbery, this is a great place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLOSEDOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2014Made a reservation for Monday, June 2 and received a confirmation e-mail. When we arrived the restaurant was closed. Enough said. It's okay though, we had a great meal at The Majestic instead!
- Restaurant not openSlimDined on 5/19/2014Arrived for scheduled reservation but restaurant was closed. Do not know if this was Open Table or restaurants fault that I was allowed to make a reservation on a day that this restaurant is customarily closedI would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Town GemoldtowngemDined on 5/15/2014a quiet, romantic restaurant with a nice outdoor area and roomy upstairs bar area perfect for groups. Service was impeccable, food excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/14/2014Even though our reservation was accepted and confirmed by Open Table, the restaurant was closed!
- Lost PotentialeatsoutinvaVIPDined on 5/11/2014The restaurant itself is beautiful - one I've walked by many times and wanted to try simply for its appearance. We went to brunch on Mother's Day and were thrilled with the wonderful hostess and ambiance. However, the service was terrible, and the food was mediocre to have been forced into paying $40 for a pris fixe which was not publicized as the menu for the day. The server checked on us every 45 minutes at best, and made us uncomfortable at times. To be clear, the food was not bad - just not worthy of that price, and in that neighborhood. We'd even asked the server about the special menu and he just asked us a bunch of awkward questions about why we wanted something different. If it weren't for the service, it would have been ok.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014Lots of great choices and the food was really good. We would go back.Special Features:
- 3rd visitBdayDined on 4/25/2014Again, food is really good, this time service was horribleSpecial Features:
- Farm-to-table delightrobindDined on 3/15/2014Notting Hill in Alexandria was a great place to have a relaxing, delicious meal. The service was very attentive, and the atmosphere very comfortable - a place where you would like to spend an evening. We started with oysters. They were fresh and tasty, though the sauce could have used a bit more spicy-zip to it. The salmon was moist and delicious and my husband's lamb was perfectly done. I will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expected moreLadybugDined on 3/9/2014Went here for brunch. Decided on Notting Hill because the menu looked interesting. Service was great! Timing was a bit slow. There was no one else there for Sunday brunch which I thought was odd so I was surprised the timing was slow. Food was good. Nothing to write home about. Wine list was nothing spectacular. Prices were excellent. I would go back for dinner to see if they do better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Several prior hits, now a missJC2014Dined on 3/5/2014Intentionally picked NH for a family supper because of prior positive experiences in vegetarian options and deliciousness of what we ordered. But on this visit ... No designated, thought-out vegetarian option, only an offer of grilled vegetables after i asked. My non-vegetarian guests were not plussed with their meals and my soup/salad selection was ok but still not the "real" meal i was expecting. Given our disappointment with the meal, the prices were too high. Service was appropriately attentive and helpful. My enthusiasm is now waning for NH.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was not very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014The service was not very good. Sides were undercooked and/or cold. Overall, a bit of a disappointment.
- FooledShip1108Dined on 2/14/2014They setting was overbooked as they cramped in as many tables for 2 as possible. This lead to what must have been an exhausted staff because we sat at our table for almost 15 minutes before I had to grab a bus boy and ask him to find our server. It was even more ridiculous because the table next to us was seated after our arrival and yet they had already been brought their drinks before we were noticed. This theme remained throughout the night as the volume was terrible, the servers kept bumping us and our server even asked us how our salad's were, when we they hadn't even been delivered. Not to mentioned, we were forced to stick with the fixed menu, which was more overpriced then the much better Ruth's Chris I had had the night prior.
- Food doesn't make up for serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Our waiter didn't know the drink menu at all; instead of checking when he didn't know he would guess, and was wrong. We got a pre fix meal and I forgot to order a course, when he told me i got a soup as well I wet ahead and picked one, and he said, so you don't want the salad? He kept forgetting what we ordered and asking again. He forgot to bring our drinks and then forgot what they were and had to ask again. He brought us the wrong drink three times. He didn't bring us our free champagne. He was rude when we asked for a knife because he thought we were asking for the drinks he hadn't brought yet. When we got the check, from someone else, there were no receipts to sign. And he was angry about a check and yelling next to our table.
- 1. Food. Good but executionAlexandriaFoodieDined on 2/14/20141. Food. Good but execution is inconsisent. (a) filet mignon w bernaise - unremarkable; and (b) salmon with chocolate mustard sauce - failure. Fish was tough a shoe leather. 2. Service: FAILURE, FAILURE, FAILURE. (a) he wait staff is nice and tries. But they are not professionals and do not know how to manage tables. They are chronically playing catch-up. (b) The bus staff are worthless and should be scrapped. The only thing there were capable of is filling my water glass . I waited 30 minutes for a new napkin, the candle on the table was never re-lit, and my steak knife never arrived. (c) Host/hostess ... no clue. Sat a couple of at a dirty table with soiled table cloth and dirty dishes. Mgmt needs to look more broadly for its hiring pool.
- Wonderful mealAlexandriaResidentDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went to noting hill for valentine's day dinner and it was wonderful. The food was fantastic and our server John was great. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time is a charm!sharveyDined on 2/7/2014Visited Notting Hill Friday night with a date, I had eaten there twice before when it first opened up and they hadn't yet wortked the kinks out from a service standpoint. Friday evening we elected to dine upstairs by the working fireplace, cozy and warm, the staff quickly greeted us , brought water, menu's and the wine list. We both opted for the specials that night which were; cherry -chocolate cornish game hens with spinach on a bed of wild rice and my date had cherry chocolate seared scallops, both were excellant. We both had the tomato - basil soup served in a minature cast iron pot for a starter, again excellant. If you haven't tried or visited Notting Hill recently I strongly recommend another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs leadershipTonyDined on 2/6/2014Very disappointing especially after seeing other reviews with similar concerns. Would think owner would address service. Everyone was nice but waitstaff need serious training. Was seated by fireplace which was turned off but instead of nice ambiance, I could smell gas leak. Was reseated. Waiter needs training on wines and how to serve. Food was pretty good. Cappicino came out as warm frothy milk but no espresso. This place could be great but needs some management and training.
- A disappointment...BillDined on 1/24/2014Was there on a Friday night, expecting good things, give the reviews I had heard. The setting, decor, and ambience is very nice. Downstairs was rather busy and a musician was setting-up. We sat upstairs. The room has about 20+ tables... an about 3 or 4 were occupied. We were disappointed that the fireplace was not operating on such a cold night... and, presumably, a busy night (i.e., weekend night). We didn;t see much of the server, except when he was trying to sell us a bottle of wine at the beginning. As for the food, we each started with the soup. The tomato soup was good, the corn soup was bland. We had the trout and the hen. The trout was good, and the hen was nothing special... a bit of a a disapointment. Not recommended.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/19/2014The kitchen was excrutiatingly slow, although the servers tried their best to work with the pace. The food was disappointing. Flavors were fine, and the cheese platter was elegant and interesting, but the serving size of the steak sandwich for brunch was miniscule and the pancakes were a gummy mess. We received a 15% coupon for our next visit, which will certainly go unused.
- Pleasantly SurprisedMBC61Dined on 1/18/2014Reservations with friends at another restaurant in Old Town fell through and I was stuck finding a last-minute replacement on a holiday weekend during Restaurant Week. This place could take us. I was worried when I read the other reviews but decided to go for it since we didn't have much other choice. We were pleasantly surprised! Great ambiance, not too loud, food was great and the service was fine. Not sure what the other reviewers were expecting, or perhaps the owners took those reviews to heart. We had a lovely evening and would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit as good as the firstJC2014Dined on 1/3/2014I've now had brunch and dinner at Notting Hill and enjoyed it both times. The menu has vegetarian options and a variety across the board for non-vegetarians. The restaurant is appointed nicely and service was appropriately attentive. Prices are a bit more than i would expect but the food was good and noise level low. A good place to catch up with friends, enjoy a special dinner and just have anice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good Restaurant is More than FoodPeteDined on 12/31/2013Good food, but unsatisfactory service and cost....no prior notification that menu was set price for New Years Eve dinner....extremely noisy. Dinning experience required 3 hours to complete.Special Features:
- DisappointingLWinDCDined on 12/31/2013I made a reservation for New Year's Eve, and one of the reasons I chose Notting Hill was that they were not offering a prix fixe menu (according to their website). However, when I arrived, I was informed that there was, in fact, a prix fixe menu at the price of $75! I nearly walked out, but they told me I could order "a la carte" off the prix fixe menu. Truth be told, I should've walked out anyway. My reservation was at 8:00; my food did not arrive until 10:00, and it was rather lackluster at that. It seems the restaurant was not prepared for the high volume on New Year's Eve. I could hear other diners around us complaining about the slow service. One table even walked out after waiting an hour and a half for drinks!
- NYE 2013foodiegirlVIPDined on 12/31/2013Three previous experiences were very good but New Year's Eve went downhill fast - overall issue was very poor service and restaurant management for one of the busiest evenings of the year. We would have to think long and hard before returning which is a shame because the food is good and it's near to where we live!
- Don't BotherReviewVIPDined on 12/30/2013The restaurant is attractive. However, the food is terrible. The sandwich two of us ordered, which was supposed to be on a baguette, was served on slider rolls with no explanation why no baguette. The chicken salad served on it was tasteless. When the food was put in front of us I commented on the missing baguette with no response from our server. Our friend described his crab cake as the "worst" crab cake he had ever had. The menu choices are very limited. If your menu is limited, the food you do serve should be edible. We will never go back to this restaurant.
- It's time to train your waiters.JoelDined on 12/23/2013Friends and I have eaten here several times since their opening. On every occasion, the staff appears tentative, unsure of exactly what to do, when. Most recently, service was slow and that was with only four occupied tables. The food is at the high end of average for Old Town, the setting is beautiful and the outside seating is very nice in warmer times. Noting Hill is a good addition to Old Town but in this competitive market, needs to focus on service if they want to fill their beautiful dining room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why?JimNDined on 12/20/2013Fix your food issues! You have a beautiful setting, with great, fun jazz! But your food is not top quality or in your competitive zone and your prices are tooooo high for the quality. You get only one more chance from me. Why not effort to make it right??? Why?
- disappointing first and last visitSoupDined on 12/18/2013Our group was hoping for a lovely, fine dining experience; however, in spite of the lovely surroundings, the lackluster service (even though we were the only people there at the time) and the average food teamed up to make this just another lunch out of the office. We each had one of the "specials" of the day. The crab cake was small, had quite a bit of filler, and came on a very over-sized bun. The soup, a seafood and corn chowder, was pretty good. The Filet mignon sandwich was amazingly tough and small, and also came on a HUGE bun, which completley overwhelmed it. There was no seasoning and the lettuce leaf and slice of tomato could not help it much. Its accompanying French onion soup was bland. Desserts were awful and quite pricey.Special Features:
- Growing Pains after 10 months??DianeVVIPDined on 12/16/2013After 10 months, Notting Hill is struggling to become a 'name' in Old Town. Unfortunately, the wait staff was not attentive (with only 2 tables in the restaurant). During each course, including cocktails, one persons' item was forgotten in a party of 5. We received a break basket with 4 rolls, for a party of 5, and had to request butter (as did the table next to us). The food had some stars - crab bisque, shrimp & grits and Cornish hen, but other items struggled like the overcooked pork chops and loose corn pudding. If Notting Hill can improve their service, they have a shot in Old Town, but if not, I don't they'll be around to promote their patio come Springtime.
- Birthday Celebration @ Notting HIllcerahb1Dined on 12/13/2013My girlfriends and I celebrated my birthday this year at Notting HIll and had the best time!!!!! The food was excellent! The menu has delights for every pallet. I had the Proscuitto Americano for starters and though that the repsentation was very well done. For the main course I took a walk on the wild side and selected the Beligium Chocolate Salmon. It was simply to die for! Who knew that chocolate and salmon would ever pair well toegther? The bar upstairs is small but very quaint. The bar tenders were very skilled and provided insigh on a number of notable foreign and local beers. Additonally, their mixed drinks will cure what ails you in short order. Run...do not walk.....to this restaurant. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ready for prime timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2013Notting HIll shouldn't open for lunch unless everyone on staff is ready for it. Several dishes were not available from the menu, including all desserts, and someone forgot to leave the keys to the wine cupboard with the wait staff, narrowing down the available bottles to a couple somebody left on a counter somewhere. Many apologies were proffered, but sadly, no discount or perks of any kind. We even had to ask for bread to go with our soup course. The shrimp and grits was only ok, with a very porky smell from the tasso that overwhelmed the shrimp, and the grits gone nearly cold by the time they arrived at our table. My friend's crab cake was tasty, and part of a full and colorful plate of salad and a coleslaw tower.
- Walked outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2013My first review here but I felt compelled to warn folks. We sat at the table for 20 minutes with menus, water and bread before anyone came to take a drink order. 10 minutes later we still had not gotten our drinks or ordered dinner, so we walked out. They seem to lack a manager to keep things running. Very disappointing as we live nearby and used to go to the restaurant on this property often.
- My first experience at NottingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2013My first experience at Notting Hill was excellent. I went with my wife on a Monday and the service was outstanding. Great food, friendly and knowledgeable staff, Good ambiance.Special Features:
- Best Place in Old Town AlexandriaOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/26/2013Mixed drinks were awesome! Food was fresh and delicious. Service was perfect. 5 stars all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz music..?collegedinerDined on 10/26/2013I was looking for a romantic evening, and Notting Hill was so very close to being perfect for it. The size of the restaurant encourages attentive service, with the wait staff not having too many tables to see after. Their are multiple options as to seating, but unfortunately the only two tables we were shown were right next to the front door and within reaching distance of the jazz band playing. The live music was a plus, but the trumpet player was inches from my ears, which did not bode well for conversation during dinner. If you get a good table, this place is a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner!kimpVIPDined on 10/25/2013We went here for my husband's birthday. We live close by and we're pleased to find this great new restaurant. The food was excellent and they had nice dinner music playing. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great Dinner10YearsGoneDined on 10/25/2013Went for an early dinner and were sad we had been so early since the three piece jazz ensemble walked in to set up for later. I would love to go later some time to listen to them. The dinner was also exceptional.Special Features:
- FareSabsVIPDined on 9/23/2013The ambience is pretty and quiet, and better outside in the garden. The food is amazing! Service is ok. Don't order any drinks with olives in them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/23/2013First visit - had lunch, Cobb salad very nicely prepared. Service was friendly and efficient, Lovely atmosphere in great Old Town location. The outdoor patio was tempting but it was a little too chilly for us. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.