635 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.notaroristorante.com/
- Phone: (212) 686-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Angelo Peralta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer our regular catering and delivery menu. Pick-up and delivery.
A word from Notaro
Notaro opened its doors on February 1994 and is located in mid-town Manhattan. Our executive chef artfully combines his culinary skills and imagination into authentic Italian recipes of homemade pasta, delightful seafood dishes, steak, etc. From the second that you walk in and walk out, it is nothing but a delightful experience and it is guaranteed that you will remain a smile on your face. It is romantic, yet casual with a beautiful fireplace, dimmed lights, soft music and a staff that will go more than beyond to meet our customer's expectations.Continued
Guest are welcome with warm hospitality by attentive staff.
Guest are welcome with warm hospitality by attentive staff.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Notaro reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)good for groups (2)fit for foodies (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Last minute large group - very accommodating !LaurenAVIPDined on 11/14/2014About 8 of us were trying to find an Italian restaurant at the last minute at 8:30 on a Friday night. We were able to get a table here and thought we'd give it a shot. Staff seemed a little frazzled upon our arrival, but they were extremely accommodating. We were sat quickly and the waiters and busboys were attentive. Food was not fabulous, but it was good and served quickly - everyone enjoyed! Would definitely recommend if you're looking for a decent Italian option. Atmosphere was very homey and warm, like being at grandma's house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet oasis with great serviceklmnetDined on 10/18/2014Really enjoyed Notaro. Very quiet (so rare in Manhattan), great service, cloth tablecloth & napkins, great value prix fixe dinner (v. good but the veal was not tender enough). I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The following 52 reviews are from the Notaro reviews archive.
- Frequent DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2014Wonderful restaurant with great food. My husband and I have been coming here for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arl10019Dined on 6/20/2014Prix fixe dinner offers a nice choice with decent food at a reasonable price--the eggplant and pasta were good; however my chicken was bland and a bit dry. The staff was very attentive and let the 4 of us sit for 3 hours without feeling rushed. Wish the ladies room wasn't down a long flight of stairs.Special Features:
- NaifandfawkDined on 6/13/2014We had been to Notaro many times and found good food, competent service and a terrific value. This visit there was a stand-up and sit-down party going on next to our table. We did get our table moved. It took several requests to get butter with the bread although the olive oil was there. When asked to substitute a vegetable for a pasta on the side we were told there was a $2.50 upcharge. We settled on a side salad with no upcharge. It is still an excellent value with good food. They could improve their customer relations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delish but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014Really like this restaurant after a long day of babysitting and thenom and child get seated near us and wss so loud an unruly our dinner was ruined. They are obvi regulars and the child likes a waiter so much he prefers him to his mom. He tried to accommodate the child so the restaurant would have peace. But he was unable to fulfill his duties sadly. He apologized. We will still go back for the food.Special Features:
- Good placePhillnDined on 3/30/2014Blind pick while visiting my DAD at NYU med ctr. Enjoyable dinner. had better, had worse. the meal was above average. The service was great.
- Convenient, Reasonable, Good.HappyLeaderVIPDined on 3/1/2014As our friends were coming in to Manhattan thru the Queens Midtown Tunnel, we were looking for a restaurant that had good quality food, that wasn't too noisy, that was reasonably priced, and of course, convenient to the tunnel. It appeared that Notaro had all those attributes, so we made a reservation there. And we were not disappointed!Special Features:
- We Won't Be BackDeaneVIPDined on 1/18/2014We should have been suspicious when we were one of only two tables--right next to each other--at peak time on Saturday. The food is good. The service was fine, though it took three requests to get butter. The problem came when the other couple we were with presented a $25 coupon. The waiter said it was not valid with the prix fixe dinner. He showed us where the coupon said "cannot be combined with other promotions." We suggested he split the check because two of us had ordered a la carte. No dice. We explained that they would not only lose us, but that we would spread the word about their refusal to honor the coupon. Short-sighted and stubborn. We won't be back and think you shouldn't bother either.
- Notaro is one of our favoriteshowgalVIPDined on 1/17/2014Notaro is one of our favorite neighborhood places. We go often and are not disappointed. The special dinner is always a bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trouble On Christmas DayFeffDined on 12/25/2013When we walked in promptly for our reservation and the restaurant was not packed(as it was Christmas Day )and our table was not ready despite the fact that we had made reservations through Open Table days before, we knew we were in trouble. Everything took much too long. The food was ok at times and at times not. The soup was good but not very warm. The fresh mozzarella & tomato was good. My veal sorrentino was very good but my wife's shrimp dish was not. In an effort to make it up to us we were not charged for our drinks' which was fair. I know it was not a fair test because Notaro's was overwhelmed. My daughter lives near the restaurant so had it worked out it would have been a place we would have gone back to.
- Annual Dinner a Great SuccessJEM718Dined on 12/17/2013I used to live in the neighborhood and came to love Notaro on a personal level. I started having an annual co-worker dinner at Notaro 10 years ago. It started out as a party of four. The number has shifted from six to 15 over the years; the owner and staff has ALWAYS accommodated our requests. I recently hosted my 10th annual dinner with great success. Peter was especially attentive; glass nor plate ran empty without offer of a refill. The quality of the food and service has remained outstanding over the 10 years of group and 5 prior years of individual attendance. I have also had an amazing four hour, six course meal on a date at Notaro where the staff knew when to approach the table and when to be busy elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notaroNoelDined on 11/23/2013Ambiance is spare and simple Food is good and price reasonable. Service friendly. Location is convenientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing "Gem"MarkWVIPDined on 11/10/2013Sun. eve., 6:30 reservation and Notaro's was 1/4 full. Staff is very friendly and dotes over you. The tortellini en brodo was good, but bland. Salads were OK. Two clear criticisms were on the rigatoni broccoli rabe and spaghetti di carne. The meatballs were small and hard. Nothing gourmet about them, with a taste of old FrancoAmericans, except hard. The spaghetti was al dente and sauce good, so pasta was fine. The rigatoni's sausage had a frozen flavor about it, with the rabe overpowering the dish, giving it an almost TV dinner taste. We were there about 90 mins; it never was more than 1/4 full. The atmosphere is very nice and restaurant is clean, but was disappointed in overall food quality for price and OpenTable's 4 of 5 review.
- Should not be missedLindaVIPDined on 10/30/2013We have been to Notaro's many times before and will be many times in the future. We have recommended it to ALL of our friends and visitors. This restaurant is a neighborhood gem and we go as often as we canI would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestlemedecinVIPDined on 9/4/2013Had 6:30 reservation. We were the only people in restaurant. Took 15 minutes for the staff to take an order for cocktails. Food that followed was serviceable at best. I am befuddled as to how this restaurant has a 4/5 star rating on Open Table!
- Consistently good foodVanderbiltDined on 8/23/2013Small neighborhood place tucked in along the west side of Second Ave. My second time here in a few months. Food was very good. One thing I noticed was the eggplant rollatini appetizer that comes with the pre fixe is a much smaller portion than the regular a la carte appetizer so depends on how hungry you are. The service was surprisingly slow on this visit considering there were only a few other tables occupied at 8pm on a Thursday.Special Features:
- Notaro worth notingMMNYCVIPDined on 8/8/2013Food was delicious, very good wine (Chianti-Da Vinci) and prices reasonable. The biggest negative is the location on second avenue near the tunnel entrance and exit making getting a cab a bit of a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect location/vibrant nabe, etc.Arl10019Dined on 7/26/2013Was looking for a quiet/reasonably priced Italian restaurant for a girl's night where we could sit and talk for a few hours and not feel pressured. Notaro's was perfect. The Prix Fix menu ($21.95 pp) was perfect as well and the waiter was very attentive and helpful. 2 of us had the chicken parm and 2 had the basa fish and for dessert creme caramel was yummy. We'll be returning in a few weeks to redeem the $15 gift cert. we were given on our way out.Special Features:
- First time there with anotherNYfoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2013First time there with another couple for lunch... We were the only diners on a hot summer afternoon. $12.'95 lunch special...great deal...good food... After the check was paid, we were presented with a $15 gift certificate ... We will check out dinner....eventually ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceVanderbiltDined on 6/22/2013Great neighborhood spot with delicious Italian food. They have survived for years in good part to their service. Always friendly without any attitude. You get the feeling they genuinely appreciate your business. Would recommend the pre fixe, it's a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/17/2013My husband and I happened on this restaurant by accident about 7 years ago. We were seeing a movie in the area and wanted to find a local Italian restaurant and before Open Table was in existence, you had to search the web. Ever since our first visit, we have had an exceptional experience there. The owner, Angelo, knows us by name and all of the servers are already impeccable with their service delivery and professionalism. I've referred other family members there for special events and whether its for a full meal or a glass of wine, I've always had a great experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notaro is indeed a neighborhood gemHarveNYCVIPDined on 4/24/2013We eat at Notaro several times a year and always have a wonderful time. The service is super-friendly, food is delicious, and the prices are quite reasonable. I'd to haven't tried Notaro, try it !It's a real neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Friends from out-of-town wereOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/7/2013Friends from out-of-town were staying nearby, so I made a first-time reservation at Notaro for brunch on Sunday. It was splendid. Great food, nicely-paced service, wonderful ambiance. Can not recommend the place too highly.Special Features:
- Best Authentic ItalianTWolfeDined on 3/29/2013This restaurant was an authentic Italian neighborhood place with a delightful owner, solicitous waitstaff, an amazing menu and reasonably priced incredible food. If I lived in NY I would go here every weekend. Sadly, I live in Seattle where real Italian food is a rarity. From the moment we walked into this warm, inviting room, we were greeted, seated in a nice area, made aware of specials and generally made to feel welcome. I had the risotto with shrimp and asparagus and it was light and perfect. My husband had the veal francese and it was sublime. I also had a fantastic spinach salad. For dessert, the ricotta cheesecake and cannolli made me feel like I was a kid again growing up in Hazleton, Pennsylvania. I will go here again!Special Features:
- Good food. Reasonable pricesRichardDined on 3/9/2013Good food. Reasonable prices (prix fixe is a terrific deal). Quiet. Had an early dinner, and found service somewhat spotty before the maître d' arrived at 8p. Will return often as it is right in the neighborhood and the risotto was terrific.Special Features:
- A very nice find. Very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/26/2013A very nice find. Very attentive service. Good menu. We were very pleased with our choices.Special Features:
- The food was tasty and moderatelyAndyDined on 1/26/2013The food was tasty and moderately priced. My only complaint is that the portions are rather small on some dishes including the ravioli.Special Features:
- The perfect place for a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2013The perfect place for a good meal and (I stress this) conversation. Music is quiet and it is possible to have a real conversation with your dining partners. This is to be treasured in the NYC dining scene.Special Features:
- We have consistently foundshowgalVIPDined on 1/18/2013We have consistently found the food at Notaro to be good. We go there often and bring friends who enjoy going there. The prix fixe dinner is a wonderful value.Special Features:
- Perfect place to dine. StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013Perfect place to dine. Staff were friendly and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- Everything about Notaro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Everything about Notaro's was great! The food was delicious and fresh. The servers were attentitive and friendly. We would definitely go back again. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- excellent quality food atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2012excellent quality food at affordable prices; warm, friendly room where the 4 of us could hear each other's conversation; we all enjoyed the evening thoroughlySpecial Features:
- Would definitely go again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/8/2012Their shallot balsamic dressing on their house salad was really good and both of the pasta dishes we ordered were also delicious. My pasta dish was great and I even ordered extra marinara sauce on the side because I loved it so much! Really cozy ambiance, a little neighborhood gem type of a place. Quieter if you sit at a table in the front and great for groups if you sit in the back of the restaurant. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- A Lovely TimeHarveNYCVIPDined on 10/23/2012We eat at Notaro a couple of times a month and always have a good meal. The prices are very reasonable and the service is very friendly and attentive. Thanks Notaro :-)Special Features:
- Generally good neighborhoodHarryVIPDined on 10/22/2012Generally good neighborhood food. Service is very friendly. Prices are reasonable.
- Food and service is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/20/2012Food and service is always fantastic. Be sure to try the limoncello!Special Features:
- We felt very much at homeNurhanBVIPDined on 10/18/2012We felt very much at home and the service was very attentive and good. The water glasses kept being filled without us being bothered and the food was quite good and plentiful. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- We have been going there forNaifandfawkDined on 10/9/2012We have been going there for years. Notaro is the definition of a dependable neighborhood Italian restaurant. The pastas and main dishes have always come out right. A decent, if not inspiring, wine list. The noise level has rarely detracted from the meal.
- Take out first-patrons lastjcalDined on 9/20/2012Surprised as the reviews were good. Let me start with - food was good. However, we went on a Thursday evening- great only 2 other tables! So we should have gooten great service. Our appetizers came 45 minutes after we sat down. No explanation for this delay. Never saw the waiter for 30 minutes to ask. Then we saw the reason for the delay. They had TONS of take out and I guess the restaurant guests get in line with take out. Needless to say the good food did not taste so good after that long wait. Not sure how it is on weekends. But stay away on week nights.