180 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 3X3Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.notabenerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4169776400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Cross Street: University
- Public Transit: Subway: Osgoode Station
Street Car: Queen West Street Car
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Nota Bene offers two conveniently located public parking lots. One located on Queen Street right across Nota Bene and the a second one located on St. Patrick Street just half a block north of Queen Street.
A word from Nota Bene
Nota Bene was named Canada's best new restaurant by Toronto Life & Air Canada's EnRoute magazine and was voted as one of Canada's Top Ten New Restaurants by Where Magazine. Located at 180 Queen Street West, Nota Bene bridges the Toronto business district with funky Queen West; steps away from the Theatre district and the Four Seasons Centre For The Preforming Arts.Continued
Open Lunch and dinner, the menu features fresh, seasonal cuisine executed by Chef David Lee and delivered in a professional and yet casual atmosphere designed by Tom Payne of KPMB.
Open Lunch and dinner, the menu features fresh, seasonal cuisine executed by Chef David Lee and delivered in a professional and yet casual atmosphere designed by Tom Payne of KPMB.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Nota Bene - Best Restaurants in Queen West ›
Nota Bene reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)fit for foodies (114)romantic (64)good for groups (58)notable wine list (56)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (24)late-night find (10)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- luv4foodluv4foodDined on 8/23/2014The ambience at this restaurant was soft and romantic. Not overcrowded and not overly noisy, so conversation could be spoken at a normal tone. My husband had the crispy duck salad and I had the lobster salad as an appetizer, split it and had the best of both....wonderful. I really enjoyed the B.C. salad, just perfect. Beef tenderloin (husband's option) was superb as well. Dessert was blueberry crumble....delicious and just right. Service was excellent, didn't feel rushed. Would come back again sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!JamjarVIPDined on 8/22/2014I have a food allergy and Geoff the chef de cuisine is soooooooooooo accommodating. He makes me special foods that are safe for me to eat and does it with love and sensitivity to my needs. The food is always of the finest quality and the staff trained well - there and attentve. It's a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Always GreatwesternnyerDined on 8/16/2014My wife had the beef tenderloin and said it was very tender and delicious. The veal chop was just as spectacular. Finishing with the panna cotta made it all complete. Highly recommend the pommes frites as a side. Looking forward to returning during another trip back to Toronto.Special Features:
- worthy of the praiseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014My family of four, kids 12 and 15, were in Toronto for the night and we were looking for a good dinner out. This was a perfect choice. The kids loved their food, as did my husband and I. I wouldn't call the restaurant kid friendly but it is suitable for a family with older children. The menu was interesting and the food was very good. My husband and daughter raved about the tomato and mozerella salad. All the servers were excellent. The wine list was good but pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated and overpricedSanvitaliaDined on 8/15/2014Food was decent but not exciting or special enough to justify exorbitant prices. Presentation was unimaginative and plain (no garnishes or drizzles). Restaurant décor is "spartan chic". The lunch express menu is a less expensive option but seriously lacking in dessert offerings. Portion sizes were on the large side. Three-course menu was not well thought out in terms of balance and repetition - one of us had a salad starter, followed by the swordfish...which arrived on yet another rather daunting mound of leaves. Servers were friendly and attentive. We have dined better and more economically elsewhere.
- ChazVIPDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful vibe with helpful, welcoming staff. Interesting wine list---had an excellent Italian red. Limited somewhat eccentric menu. A very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- A class actMistrrVIPDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I had a great lunch here. Weren't expecting quite the power scene or so many $1000+ suits but even in our shorts and feeling very much like tourists the service was more than gracious. The lobster salad and the sesame chicken salad (served with chopsticks) were both gorgeous and delicious. And the onion rings were a treat too. A fun and satisfying lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicehouleskisDined on 8/12/2014As you would expect, Nota Bene delivers. We were here for my partner's bday. We shared a charcuterie plate with some excellent meats. Mains were steak and seafood (both excellent). Drinks were fantastic and I enjoyed the off the cuff gin creations from the bar/our server. Service was fantastic; very enthusiastic and friendly server who made the evening more special. The restaurant also catered to my special request for a 'special something' with desert; very appreciated. Wine was fantastic with great bottle options under $100 (the menu is quite expansive into $500+ bottles).Special Features:
- One of Toronto's BestbobbarbaraVIPDined on 8/12/2014As a visitor to Toronto from New York City and a restaurant devotee I am happy to say every meal has been excellent and that Nota Bene is among those on the very top tier.Special Features:
- Delicious.ChompDined on 8/9/2014Pricey but the service and food were both outstanding. Veal chop was amazing!Special Features:
- Great food, every timeMattDined on 7/29/2014Every visit gives a chance to sample an ever changing menu, never disappointed with their both classic and inventive cuisine. I always go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner marred by mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014We've even here before and always love the food. Unfortunately, on this evening the restaurant was crowded and clearly understaffed. We waited about 45 minutes to have our dinner plates cleared, and such things as refills on water and coffee were not to be had no matter how hard we tried to get a server's attention. The hostess did come over to apologize when we complained and added chocolate truffles for the table to apologize, but this is not at all what we have come to expect from Nota Bene.Special Features:
- over priceddinewmeDined on 7/25/2014Overall food quality was good as was the service. Just expected more as it was rated one of the best restaurants in Toronto.. Also thought food, given quality, was over-priced.
- Pleasant surpriseChcolatlVIPDined on 7/23/2014The cuisine is off the charts in terms of creativity, quality and taste. A must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The food was very good as well as the service. Would recommend it and will frequent again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy dessert!!!MinifoodieDined on 7/18/2014My bf & I tried Summerlicious July 18th. Service was excellent from the moment we walked in until we left. Of the 3 course meal, we enjoyed dessert the best! I ordered a strawbeery lemonade ice tea which I would order again. Bf had two glasses of red. We also ordered their onion rings app on top of our 3 courses. That was very good too. We never felt rushed or treated differently since we ordered off the Summerlicious meal. Our water glasses were always filled & empty dishes were never left long on the table. It was quite busy but tables were not close to each other that you could hear other conversations. Dessert was a warm donut with vanilla ice cream and blueberry compote. Would go back just for that!!!Special Features:
- RoseDined on 7/18/2014The food and service was excellent. Went for Summerlicious 2014 and had no compliants. I would however add some pure vegetarian options in the summerlicious menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nota not so BeneAdolfo4GoodFoodVIPDined on 7/17/2014I was looking forward to Nota Bene remembering my first time there. Because I was alone, I agreed to sit near in the bar area and thus missed the ambiance I had enjoyed so much some years back. To start I ordered the 'duck salad', 'interesting' but no duck, well a few small pieces. For the main course, the hamburger, well, it lacked pizzazz (a place like this should serve classy hamburgers not ones that are dry and boring). When it came to the wine, an interesting sequence of events. Since I ordered a 'half bottle' my options were rather limited. The 1st bottle I thought was corked, the 2nd one the sommelier decided it was corked but the 3rd was quite good. Note that I only drank 1 bottle not 3. The service though good.Special Features:
- Great DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Great food & service. Swordfish usually tends to be dry but at Nota Bene - it was moist and tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is amazing.naymayDined on 7/16/2014The summerlicious menu was spectacular. The service was attentive and quick. We were there for a birthday and they didn't come out like most restaurants in a group of people to embarrass you with a cheesy song. The food is some of the best I have had. The swordfish was cooked to perfection. The pulled braised goat was tender. The desserts made me want to order at least three more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food; very loudMaryDined on 7/16/2014It is a shame that you have to shout to talk at the table. It would be helpful if everyone turned the volume down or the restaurant did something to reduce the noise level. Otherwise, great.Special Features:
- Summerlicious syndromeBbreezyVIPDined on 7/16/2014As sometimes happens with fixed price meals during Summerlicious the usual quality is missing and the food tastes like it's been pre-prepared and left sitting around too long. Reasonably priced but disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SummerliciousSherpaDined on 7/15/2014I was thoroughly impressed by Nota Bene's Summerlicious menu. Food quality was great! Everything was well seasoned and well portioned and a delight to look at. Cocktails and wine selections were also excellent. Server was knowledgeable in providing recommendations. This was my second Summerlicious stop this year and it blew the mediocre Stock restaurant at Trump hotel out of the water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summerlicous DinnerMaribelDined on 7/12/2014The food tasted good, but did lack a wow factor. Favourite thing about the restaurant was the atmosphere, it was clearly a high end restaurant but it did not feel stuffy-felt laid back and cozy. Overall a very safe choice for a special night out.Special Features:
- saudia558VIPDined on 7/11/2014great food - we went there for a summerlicious dinner and portion sizes were perfect (a little more than i expected). the tuna sashimi (sp?) was amazing! The service was also outstanding! I would definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hate SummerliciouseatingzenVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is one of the most reliable kitchens in the city so we like to take friends from out of town to show off. But Summerlicious encourages people to try restaurants they normally would not attend. Unfortunately this includes parents of screaming children who seem oblivious to the disruptive impact on the experience of others. Takes kids by all means, but teach them to behave or get them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nota BeneMelloyellowkcDined on 7/11/2014Food was just 'alright'. The pickled vegetables in their "Crunch" salad left my tastebuds sour in every bite. It was a very pretty plate though. The albacore tuna - A bit fishy if you didn't eat it with all the flowers, coriander, citrus soya and the bonito flakes(should have used baby coriander). Pasta was good. I found the kale chips stale. Peppercorn NY strip loin was seasoned & cooked perfectly. Dessert was not good at all. I had the black cherry sundae and my other half had the lemon sorbet with black cherries as well. A very forgettable dessert menu. I held this place up high before visiting. 6.5/10 Food. Service 10/10. Service is comparable to Michelin starred restaurants. I'm on the fence about coming back.Special Features:
- Bad Birthday eveningKeithmacDined on 7/9/2014We choose Note Bene for my daughter's 20th birthday. It was a horrible experience. Please not that this is the first time I have complained about a restaurant experience in my life. (It was that bad). We sat by the kitchen, which is a bad way to start a meal. The burger flat out sucked, the salad was weird. The donut was good. The noise level was bad. I could not hear my daughter all night from across the table. I will not recommend Note BeneSpecial Features:
- Nota Bene summerlicious 2014yyzfoodieDined on 7/9/2014The summerlicious lunch menu had a lot to choose from. The waiter was excellent. One person had a dietary allergy. I was surprised when the Chef would not make a small accommodation to replace the bread used for the burger with a different type of bread. Fortunately, the waiter went back to the Chef and the Chef finally agreed to make the substitution. I understand the Chef takes great thought into creating a menu and a dish may not be 'good' if it is altered but this was a dietary allergy/restriction. It wasn't a matter of preference. In the end it was an enjoyable lunch. I would recommend Nota Bene.Special Features:
- Amazing service!twistedlittleoneDined on 7/8/2014My girlfriend and I had a lunch date with our babies. Usually we expect to be put on the street level floor in the corner to accommodate the strollers but they seated us on the upper level and helped us with our strollers. They were so accommodating and helpful while we tried to eat our lunch and entertain our babes! Would definitely go again:) The service was amazing and the food was delectable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit more than satisfactorytamsDined on 7/8/2014The food was delicious, but nothing too out of the ordinary. The food presentation was better than other mid-high restaurants. Due to summerlicious the restaurant was very busy and energetic (lunch time), which I didn't mind. I just wish the waitress took better care of us - although it's excusable since my partner and I went during summerlicious. I would recommend it for a lunch date or a business-related lunch (since there is no scenery), but if you are looking to wow your partner I would go to a place with more ambience or scenery such as Canoe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and superb servicerarecatDined on 7/8/2014We had the summerlicious menu at Nota Bene and was surprised at how good each of the courses were even though we weren't terribly impressed with the menu we first saw it. At the end of the meal, we were completely sold by the excellence of the food, the superb and attentive service by the staff - and not just one of them but all we had interaction with. Even though it was lunch and it was Summerlicious, they were alert and would come by the moment you caught their eye (without lifting a finger) even though they were in the midst of serving another table. I think this shows superb training and positive staff morale. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Summer Of DeliciousBrianDined on 7/7/2014All I can say is WOW! Great food, service and room. A must for anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!jesslovesDined on 7/7/2014Went with a friend during Summerlicious. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food808marckDined on 7/4/2014And great service, we went here for summerlicious and it was refreshing to not receive a dumbed down menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceFoodieLoveDined on 7/4/2014Nota Bene is one of my favourite restaurants and I love to go there for a nice date dinner or special occasion. It is a bit pricey but the food, service and atmosphere is amazing here. The food is always great and their wine list as well as their drinks and cocktail list is amazing. Would recommend the place to everyone.Special Features:
- disappointingrobertadelawareDined on 7/3/2014Great service. Food was well presented but lacked clarity of flavour and substance combinations, especially the salads. For example, not a good idea to have a number of appetizers as too complex and confusing to the palate. The Pulled pork taco was good but not superior quality as expected from this kitchen/chef.Special Features:
- Fabulous!JamjarVIPDined on 6/26/2014I have a food allergy and Geoff the chef took such excellent care of me. He made me special safe and delicious foods, I'll certainly be back many times to this great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Outstanding!MickeyVIPDined on 6/20/2014Nota Bene consistently delivers. The service here is polished and friendly, and the quality of the food and its presentation exemplify a level of finesse that's rarely seen. The DIY gin & tonic was a real delight. Great for a special occasion, this restaurant is one of Toronto's finest.Special Features:
- luscious lunchpickyeatsDined on 6/16/2014I've eaten at Nota Bene before for dinner and it's always superb, with unique, creative food. This time, for lunch, my husband had an excellent ceviche and I had a sumptuous lobster roll, the bun obviously sautéed in butter, as it was drenched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.