Not Your Average Joe's Norwell
111 Pond Street
Norwell, MA 02061Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Norwell
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 7816166160x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
We will be closing at 4 pm Christmas Eve, closed on Christmas Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Tenner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Norwell
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Not Your Average Joe's Norwell - Best Restaurants in Norwell ›
Not Your Average Joe's Norwell reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (48)kid-friendly (44)good for groups (43)neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (23)special occasion (22)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (12)hot spot (10)notable wine list (8)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)romantic (2)Show More
- HappydinerHappydinerDined on 8/21/2014Had a delicious dinner We love the bread with cheese and oil!Special Features:
- A local favoriteMeredithDined on 8/15/2014I love NYAJ's, especially the bread with the olive oil, parmesan cheese and spice mixture. My bacon cheddar burger was delicious and my husband enjoyed his chicken kabobs. They didnt bring new plates for our appetizer but it was a busy Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great pricesBostonMCDined on 8/14/2014NYAJ, their focaccia bread and spicy cheese and olive dipping sauce is the best! But, don't fill up on it if you want to finish your meal. I had their Chicken Picatta, which is the best, the portions are quite large, enough for lunch the next day. My friend had the new delicious Steak Wedge which came with plenty of steak slices on top. Last, but not least, The Peanut Butter Thing dessert was shared and quite yummy!Special Features:
- HappydinerHappydinerDined on 8/14/2014got seated on time service was fast but not rushed and very pleasant waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackVIPDined on 8/14/2014Freindly effficient service but food was lacking. Sandwiches were mostly bread and the accompanying fries were greasy and cold
- Salad and AppsLeeLeeVIPDined on 8/9/2014My family and I love this place, but we leaned long ago to skip the entrees and, instead, get a side salad each to start followed by an appetizer each. It's plenty of food and, we think, the best stuff on the menu. Last past visit, I was impressed with the jalapeno strawberry cocktail; yum!Special Features:
- Wait stafflik2dinoutDined on 8/9/2014The wait Staff was very friendly. The Waitress was helpful in making my selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not your average joe'ssjmtennisDined on 8/5/2014It was a very enjoyable dining experience. We ordered an appetizer and dinner special we hadn't had before and they were both very good.Special Features:
- Lots of Gluten-free choicesNolatxDined on 7/31/2014I liked that they really appreciate the challenges of finding good gluten-free options. The tuna I ordered could have been a better quality for rare and more flavorful though. Prices are reasonable. Would go there again.
- Always SatisfiedYumyumyumDined on 7/29/2014The staff are terrific-warm, engaging and friendly. The selections are great, if you want red meat, seafood or salads-many options. The "specials" menu changes with the season, locally caught fish in summer or comfort food in winter, and everything is very fresh. They serve a lot of local produce, wine and beer keeping many employed in the area-(great philosophy). Never had a negative experience!Special Features:
- Amazing.fooding1234Dined on 7/27/2014Everything is good, from the bread to the specials, to the tried and true menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYAJ in Randolph betterMarcia24VIPDined on 7/27/2014Food and service not as good as in Randolph. We were there because closer to Cohasset for Music Circus but normally go to Randolph.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Gluten FreeLightman9Dined on 7/25/2014I am now in my 3rd year of being wheat free and NYAJ is one of my favorite places to dine. They have consistantly and continously been improving their gluten free menu, including a gluten free roll to have while the others at the table enjoy the focaccia bread (I miss that bread) and my main coarse, a shrimp penne, you would not know it was gluten free. Hats off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above Average JoesYumyumDined on 7/25/2014Great dining experience. Our server was excellent- very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Menu selection was great. Food was delicious and beautifully presented. Fine dining reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunch!Lizz721Dined on 7/20/2014Thanks so much for my birthday entree and dessert. Food and service was excellent. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanneDined on 7/12/2014It was overall a good experience. We ordered appetizers and they came the same time as the entrees. Also I ordered the warm goat cheese salad and it was really good except it was way too small. I have had it before and on don't remember it being so small (I don't have a huge appetite and it was too small for me). I can't imagine it would cost the company very much to add a little lettuce to that entree salad. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Nothing good to saynickDined on 7/3/2014Waited almost an hour just to get our apps. I don't mind waiting if the food is good, but our entrees were clearly sitting for a long time before reaching the table. My girlfriends chicken was so hard and dry that it was hard to put a fork in it. The manager was making the rounds to all the tables apologizing for the wait, but with a bill over 100 dollars it was of little consolation.
- Joe's Norwell - Please Improve!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2014It pains me to write a less than stellar review for Joe's/Norwell. It's my "go to" restaurant, but the last few times have been disappointing. Recently I tried the spicy tuna sushi roll in tempura - arrived cold but don't know if that was intentional. Could have been great, but too heavy-handed with the aoli and teriyaki glaze so couldn't enjoy the sushi. Had the java pork special - pork was overcooked (asked for medium) and smothered with the coffee rub, so I really couldn't tell what kind of meat was under there. Corn cakes were greasy. I love Joe's - they have great ideas but now are overdoing it to the point where you can't enjoy the flavors because there is too much of everything going on at the same time. Please improve the editing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- emptmDined on 6/22/2014Excellent experience. Seated on time. Server friendly and efficient. Manager (Rick) stopped by to make sure all was well (very friendly). Food good and arrived in a timely manner. Overall very pleased.Special Features:
- Wonderful again!MelliniDined on 6/21/2014My wife's and my second time at the restaurant. Again, our experience was terrific. Good food, wonderful service, pleasant and friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicebirthdaygirlDined on 6/15/2014I really appreciated that they have a nice kids menu and provided crayons. In addition, they had our table all set up including bread and oil before we even got there, and we were able to sit despite the fact that everyone from our party hadn't yet arrived. We have a 2 year old and so that was important to us. The staff was great and my gluten-free relatives were also very impressed with the extensive gluten-free menu (and beer!). Great job guys.Special Features:
- ConaakDined on 6/15/2014We enjoy coming on Friday nights; table in the bar is a cozy and nice catch up spot. It is actively noisy, but not too loud for our own conversation. Love to try some of the specials that arrive mid afternoon via email.......just when thoughts of dinner are coming into mind!....Inviting, and also good strategy on your part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New in TownDJS249Dined on 6/6/2014We recently moved to the area & decided to try Joe's. We love good food, good drinks, great wine & a friendly atmosphere. I've been in the business all of my life so finding a place that meets those requirements is pretty important and not always easy find. I appreciate good service, not everyplace takes pride in the little things. Thanks for being our favorite "go to" place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Always.taylormcc7Dined on 6/6/2014This Not Your Average Joes is always good when it comes to service. I ordered the haddock which I have had several times before and is always so light and delicious. When the food came, I noticed right away that the piece of fish didn't look right. I took a bite and instantly knew something wasn't normal. The waitress came by and she could tell something was wrong. I told her the piece of fish was a little off and she agreed that it didn't look right. She apologized and wanted to know if I wanted another piece of fish or another dish. I ended up ordering the salmon just in case it was the whole order of haddock they received. The manager came over which is always nice. They also didn't charge me for my plate! Love this place!Special Features:
- Veggie Burger has no veggiesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014This was my second time there and my friends love the food. I wanted to love it, but the veggie burger was actually a rice pattie. Not sure if the kitchen just screwed it up this one time or if that's the actual recipe. Also I was desperately thirsty but the waitress never came back with my water. However my friends rave about the salads. Since they have no decent vegan options (a plate of mixed greens isn't really dinner) I didn't order one, but if I go again I will ask to create a custom vegan salad.Special Features:
- Loved my waitressFoodLover23Dined on 5/31/2014I forget her name but she was amazing and super friendly!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MelliniDined on 5/30/2014This was my wife's and my first time there. Went with two friends who have been there many times before. We loved the place! Nice service, good food (and good choices), and as first-timers, we received coupons for discounts etc. Very nice time. And we're sorry we hadn't been there previously, but will certainly go again. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimmyPDined on 5/27/2014I had been there once before. They did a great job with the burger that needed to be separate because of a seafood allergy. Mine ,however was not good at all. There was also a clear mistake with the fries. I had less than half of the rest of the groups plate and none were longer than an inch. Cooks mistake ,but the staff should have caught it. It was a joke at the table. Burger was just blah. My Wife gave it the same review.
- Delicious as alwaysJenRDined on 5/24/2014Actually asked the kitchen to modify a dish for the first time and they were very accommodating-- and it was excellent! Service was great, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally some gluten-free options!!taylormcc7Dined on 5/24/2014I grew up in MA and this past year, I went out to school in Nashville. About every restaurant you go to in Nashville has gluten free options or at least staff that can confidently guide you when you make them aware of an allergy. When I came back for the summer, I realized how good I have it in Nashville. Hardly do I ever see gluten-free foods on menus let alone an actual gluten free menu! When I realized that was what Not Your Average Joes was offering, I was ecstatic. I do not have a gluten allergy but I try to avoid it as much as possible. I ordered the haddock which came with garlic potatoes and green beans. Everything was great!! The fish was fresh and the sides were light but delicious. I left full but without the gross heavy feeling.Special Features:
- horrible waiterZonnieDined on 5/17/2014We go to this restaurant often before the theater which is next door. This time our waiter was SO LOUD and full of inappropriate jokes and sharing of his private life that he ruined our meal and we couldn't wait to get out of there.Special Features:
- MenudecoDined on 5/17/2014Not Your Average Joe's has an extensive menu that meets the needs the needs of any consumerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, as usualfrequentdinerDined on 5/16/2014The food was great and the drinks were superb. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependably goodBuzz58Dined on 5/12/2014I am NYAJ fairly frequently as I work nearby. The bar is a popular gathering place after work. They have some great bartenders and the noise level is perfect for talking with friends. On this Occasion it was a business lunch. The food was very good and you can count on that. The service was also attentive and very nice - also something I have found you can count on. And once again, particuarly for a business lunch, it is a place here you can have a conversation.Special Features:
- Good experiencedonotusuallyreviewDined on 5/11/2014Great service and well prepared food on a very busy Mothers Day.Special Features:
- Nice all aroundSingleMomDined on 5/11/2014Good food, service, etc. Used open table to make reservations! Very convenient!Special Features:
- Mother's Day at NYAJPintzieDined on 5/11/2014Food was good, able to order off and on the special menu for Mother's Day. A little loud so difficult for my mother to hear as she has a hearing problem to begin with. Service was great. Reasonably priced. Great seat except for post in the way for waitress and hard to get out to go to the ladies room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Bit DissapointedRMacDined on 5/10/2014As an occasional dinner at the Norwell Not Your Average Joes, I've generally had pretty good experiences here but this past visit was a bit disappointing. Ordered the Steak Tips with Mashed potatoes and Green beans. The steak tips, while a bit tough, were cooked well and flavorful but my real issue was with the two side dishes. The mashed potatoes were dry and warm at best. The green beans were pretty raw. As I mentioned, this is the first time I've not had a good experience here so it could have been an anomaly.
- Great menu terrible waiterPirch13Dined on 5/10/2014We frequent Joe's. Usually the Randolph location, which is fantastic, but this time tried norwell. We found the food consistent(very good) but the portions a bit smaller (steak tips). However the service was horrible. Our waiter was clueless - to the point that it ruined a meal. He messed up everything - from bringing bread, to our drink orders, to having to be asked multiple times to do the same thing. Other waitstaff there were pitching in and helping, but he was so bad they couldn't cover for him. Food came out cold and was brought by somone else. He was not busy - always walking around talking to other people (esp the hostess). Usually a great place to go so hope they fix that particular problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodbettyVIPDined on 5/4/2014Have never had a bad experience at NYAJ Norwell. Food is consistently good. Service always very good. I enjoyed an entree of hangar steak wedge. Consisted of hangar steak and a lettuce wedge salad. Very good. Steak cooked medium as ordered. Very flavorful. Love lettuce wedge salad. My only recommendation would have been a little more dressing on the lettuce wedge. It was a tad on the dry side but still very good. My dining companion also selected an entree from the specials menu. It was a canneloni and chicken dish. Flavorful. Canneloni slightly overcooked but still very good. One thing we love about NYAJ is the creativity that goes into the creation of entrees.Special Features: