Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport
1 Market Square Firehouse Center
Newburyport, MA 01950Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: 9784623808x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am -11:00 pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport - Best Restaurants in Newburyport ›
Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (90)great for lunch (61)scenic view (58)neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (41)kid-friendly (40)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (22)great for brunch (12)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (5)late-night find (5)romantic (4)Show More
- Birthday mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014My sister and I enjoyed great sirloin tips meals and a wonderful dessert-Mikes peanut butter thing !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is one of my favorite chainschefgirlDined on 8/24/2014that being said, I think we just went on an off day. The food was great, presentation and quality. Unfortunately it was not served hot like I prefer. Still will go back. Also very affordable.Special Features:
- Great spot in Newburyport PortMomof4Dined on 8/23/2014Always a reliably good meal. Location on Newburyport harbor is great. This is our go to spot for family event on the North Shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soup andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I brought a friend for soup and . And it was very good, just right. No pressure to choose from the heavy side of the menu. We hit it just before the evening rush, which was perfect. Love that bread too!
- Good food! Make reservations.LiketravelDined on 8/16/2014Friendly service with good food. Family friendly. Ample glasses of wine. We enjoyed the scallops and haddock very much. Salads were small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newbieDined on 8/15/2014Good food , unique menu, generally slightly above average ; great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Joes INaverageDined on 8/15/2014Has great outdoor seating in Newburyport, food was good - I would go back - but its not "great" good for outdoor seating/diningSpecial Features:
- Consistently pleased with Joe'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014We just had yet another birthday dinner here and as always enjoyed the food and ambiance. We go several times a year to Newburyport because it's close by, we like the food choices, and we know the customer is very important here. Great service, very pleasant attentive management, and good food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DougDinnerDined on 8/10/2014The only disappointment is they ran out of clam Chowder , and the whole table was looking forward to it . The rest of the meal and experience was good .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NamelessDined on 8/9/2014Our request for table location was honored. Service was good. Grilled chicken was a little overdone, but otherwise delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific food and viewbillpiVIPDined on 8/7/2014The eclectic mix of food choices make this restaurant a welcome change from other's humdrum menus. We arrived in the middle of a hailstorm and weren't going to sit outside under the tent. However the river views from inside were magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The really good and not so much :0)WandaPDined on 8/3/2014I've been twice and the 1st time was better, from the service to the food. 1st time: appetiezer: spring roll, entree: Chicken Picata, drink: rasberry lemonade. My server was fantastic and the food and drink were difinate 10/10. I even ordered something I thought was one thing, turned out to be something else and they replaced it! It doesn't get better than that. 2nd time: lettuce wrapped chicken (dry), entree: panko crusted chicken (dry) with garlic mashed potatoes (dry) green beans (good). Mango lemonade: warm and didn't have the sugar on the rim as adverticed (had to ask for it :0(. Was inside 2nd time instead of outside like the 1st time both were good (weather cooperated sunny 1st raining 2nd). I'd go back & now know what to order :0)Special Features:
- Great meal and service!LuvnyajDined on 8/2/2014Went there for my free birthday meal and dessert wonderful food relaxing evening even tho it so such a busy sat night in newburyport! Had the rosemary scallops and strawberry shortcake! Delicious! Boyfriend had burger and salad. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free = meat optionsImjustsayinisallDined on 8/2/2014Went to NYAJ because it was gluten free. The GF menu was 95% meat which didn't help because I'm also vegetarian. Waitress seemed aggravated. Food we got was not great... Was bland.
- Revisiting NYAJJFBopDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I had not been to NYAJ since a visit after they first opened. This summer we have been several times and have been impressed with staff friendliness, menu, drinks etc and have had fun every time. We like sitting out back the best.Special Features:
- late afternoon with outside seatingMichelebDined on 7/28/2014Chose to sit in back outdoor seating as we had seen a band playing in the park. That was very nice. Sangria was good. Pizza was excellent!Special Features:
- always a good experienceHappycustomerDined on 7/26/2014Even if the place is packed - reservation is always within 10 minutes. Great Service/Food. Manager came over to check that everything was good, twice I believe…:) we were there a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check It Out!Mr237Dined on 7/25/2014Wonderfull proof that reservations by Open Table really works! Busy night but seated right away with just my Name! Drinks, service, meals all hit the right notes for me and my wife. And oh that bread!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Serviceard033066Dined on 7/22/2014We specifically chose NYAJ in Newburyport so that we could sit outside and enjoy the views and weather. While that part of the experience was good, the service was poor. We were seated right away, a server came over with bread and to take our drink order within about 5 minutes. We ordered dinner after about 10 minutes ... and did not get served until 30 minutes later. Our meal was served at 7:40, after being seated at 7. In addition, one of the meals was incorrect. It was corrected within 5 minutes but that meant someone waited 45 minutes for their food. Several times we tried to find our waitress but could not. While not as slow as the dinner service, the dessert service was not as quick as it should have been.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014We've eaten at this location before and everything was really good but this time was disappointing. Service was slow and food was just average. I would not go back.Special Features:
- Very Nice!Great food and atmosphereKarenDined on 7/19/2014We were so thankful for a wonderful Military Discount! It is wonderful to know a company looks out for those who risk everything they have. It truly made our night and means the world to my husband and I. We couldn't have thanked them enough. The only bad thing I have to say was the milk was chunky. We did get a new milk that was good but other then that it was great. Everyone was nice and we got seated right away. Our food was quick even though they were busy, and with a little one that is a key element when we go out. Everyone had a smile and greeted us at the door and while leaving. We talked about going back the next day because the food was great! I have not gone often but I certainly will be from now on. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Horrible Servicemmkc2222Dined on 7/19/2014We go to NYA Joe's all the time, but it is usually at the Methuen location. We decided to try Newburyport and we extremely disappointed in the service. It took over 10 minutes just for someone to recognize we were there and offer to get our drinks. The service between drinks and food was extremely slow and it was always a different person that would eventually come to the table. The restaurant was not that busy so I have no idea why things were that slow. I will definitely go back to NYA Joe's again as I love the food, but will most likely stick to Methuen.Special Features:
- Really did it this time!!!FrequentFlyerofNYAJDined on 7/18/2014Made a resv. for myself this time. Nothing special. Appetizer, Tips, other goodies... Service was very good. Food was very good. In and out in a timely manner. No surprises. Thank you very much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We had a wonderful experience at nyajs fir my birthday! We asked to sit outside and ended up with the best seat in the house! Great food! Beautiful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightJFBopDined on 7/18/2014Food and service were great. Sat out back and really had a great view of riverSpecial Features:
- DisappointingcmrmVIPDined on 7/18/2014This is the fifth NYAJ I have been to and it was my least favorite. I keep trying to recreate the first NYAJ's experience and each subsequent location has been more of a disappointment. There was nothing special about the food, ambience or waitstaff. It wasn't bad - but who goes out for ordinary fare. I probably will give up on this chain. There are certainly other more exciting choices for dinner in Newburyport.Special Features:
- food qualitydineoutDined on 7/18/2014Flavors were satisfying but temperature I'd food presented wasn't hot or as warm as should have been. When asked by server who was very good server how everything was we shared our disappointment. Apologies received and appreciated. Would still visit NAH in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ValueWiseDinerDined on 7/18/2014We arrived 5 minutes ahead of our reservation and were seated immediately. The waitstaff is good, not great. We ordered 2 appetizers. Both came out quickly and were very fresh and hot. The meals were great and the portion size was addequate. We enjoyed the overall experience and will visit this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've had better!8inapartyDined on 7/17/2014We've been there many times... good thing this wasn't our first experience or we probably wouldn't go back. The food took for ever to come out (about 40 min) and then some dishes were cold and others were wrong. The server dropped bread and then a drink on the same person in our party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- have had better other timesDeeeDined on 7/12/2014The food and drinks were both a lil off tonight. Hopefully they were just having a bad day. Usually there Fun drinks are my favorite but this time nothing seem to be as tasty and unique. I waited about 40 mins for my pizzas. I will go back, on most other occasions I really enjoy NYAJs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, great locationnheflyer1Dined on 7/9/2014Loved eating here, first time and will be back. Food portions were amazing. The appetizers were delicious and fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly suprise2goodVIPDined on 7/5/2014Originally going in I thought it would be more along the line of the same food chain restaurant however I was actually taken a back by the options. Warm bread at the beginning was excellent, appetizer we choose was filling and meal each one has was plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so good serviceBrooklineGal623Dined on 7/2/2014We went there to celebrate my birthday as I'm a member of the birthday club and was entitled to a free entrée & dessert. Upon being seated the waitress noticed my voucher on the table and put it in her pocket. I then said with a big smile, "It's My Birthday!" and she said, "yes, I know" I was a little deflated as I would think that 99% of people would say, "Happy Birthday!" and this waitress could not care less. She was also very un-attentive and we had to wait for each course and the check for more than the usual amount of time. The food however was awesome and it was our first time at this NYAJ's and we really enjoyed the water views. I would definitely recommend, but that waitress was not an asset to their restaurant in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great StaffLandADined on 6/28/2014This place was incredibly busy, but folks were seated very quickly and cheerfully. Our waiter was superb and the food was pretty good and inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...dbarkDined on 6/28/2014The staff was very nice and friendly, but we didn't see our server for stints of 25-35 minutes. It took at least 45 minutes for our food to come, and at the risk of being puny, it was average. We have been there one time before and it was better. We just we really disappointed this time.
- Dependable and DeliciousLawyerDined on 6/27/2014NYAJ's is a great spot to meet friends and catch up. Never rushed, great service, friendly menu.Special Features:
- Good food & fun time24koroDined on 6/23/2014It was a great time for our group of five adults. Everyone enjoyed their meals, great drinks and desserts in a very cozy spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!BrianBass27Dined on 6/21/2014There aren't enough nice things to say about this place. Jill was a fantastic waitress. Unique and affordable food. Treated us with respect and care. Great location. Wonderful view of the river.Special Features:
- All ways a good timetheatregoerDined on 6/21/2014Not Your Average Joe's is conveniently located downtown and right next door to the FireHouse Theatre. The menu has quite a variety, something to please every palate. The wine list and drink menu is expansive as well. Nice place to meet to catch up with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LiketravelLiketravelDined on 6/20/2014Always consistent and staff is friendly. Love their scallops so much that I just have to order them every time!Special Features: