Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport
1 Market Square Firehouse Center
Newburyport, MA 01950Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.notyouraveragejoes.com/
- Phone: (978) 462-3808
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:30am -11:00 pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport
What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport - Best Restaurants in Newburyport ›
Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (48)scenic view (35)great for lunch (33)good for groups (33)kid-friendly (30)neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (24)hot spot (13)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (5)romantic (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Average Joe's NewburyportDodge7Dined on 11/15/2014Average Joe's is an excellent choice for a restaurant in Newburyport. This is a very popular restaurant so I would definitely recommend a reservation. The food and service was excellent. The banana foster dessert was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Tmw54Dined on 11/15/2014Our first time dinning at nyaj. Reservation was for 7:00 pm on a busy Sat. Night and we were seated on time. The bread and garlic, olive oil/cheese dip was addictive. House salad very fresh and cold. The steak tips were tender and juicy along with crisp green beans. Cinnamon/apple sticks with vanilla ice cream were delicious. Our friends drove 90 minutes and said they would be happy to meet us as this halfway point for our annual holiday dinner again. We had our table for 3.5 hours and never felt rushed. Although very busy, the noise level was low enough for us to enjoy lively conversation without any strain. The service couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation?OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014We had 6pm reservations. We arrived at 5:55. At 6:25 we gave up waiting for our table and dined at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and surroundingsMelanieDined on 10/24/2014Had a wonderful evening with friends great atmosphere and food and serviceSpecial Features:
- It's the bread!ChrisDined on 10/19/2014If you have been to NYAJ's you have had the bread. It is,along with an interesting menu, the reason we keep returning. Also you almost always get visited by the manager to make sure your experience is a good one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, exceptional service!WineNDineDined on 10/17/2014Every time I dine at NYAJ's has always been a very positive experience. Whether it be the food, the drink selection or the service. I always try something new and have yet to have a bad dish. The Almond Crusted Goat Cheese- biscotti-crusted goat cheese served warm over olivia’s organic greens with raspberries, caramelized pecans and raspberry vinaigrette w/Salmon was delish! For dessert, the Pumpkin Cheesecake, recommended by our server, Catherine, who was spot on with her service and always arrived at our table with a warm smile. A night out doesn't get any better than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- affordable imaginative dishesLucky2liveNwbptDined on 10/15/2014I am a pretty good cook so when I go to a restaurant, I want to eat something I'm not likely to prepare for my family. Not Your Average Joe's in Newburyport is a favorite of mine because I can count on getting a different, tasty combination of flavors at a reasonable price. This time the flounder was very fresh and the polenta with smoked gouda was perfect. We had to wait a bit for the complementary bread that comes with an olive oil/parmesian cheese dipping sauce, but the fact that it was fresh from the oven made the short wait very tolerable.Special Features:
- Dependably NiceWeLikeFoodDined on 10/3/2014We keep coming back. Good food with variety, great service, nice locations for outdoor dining and viewing (both people and harbor). We're rarely disappointed and they seem to care about the diners' experience. The OpenTable reservation system works very well, making it easy to plan the evening without trying to reach the restaurant by phone. They always have had us on their list when we arrive.Special Features:
- Watery drinksFriendlyneighborsDined on 9/28/2014We like the atmosphere at Not Your Average Joe's and the food can be really good. However, this is the second time we have experienced expensive alcoholic drinks that were so full of ice that there seemed to be only a thimble full of actual drink. The first time we thought maybe watered down sangria might be a mistake. Now is seems to be intentional. We've decided that in the future we will only order wine or beer at Not Your Average Joe's.Special Features:
- Super !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Excellent service, wonderful food, fine ambience - couldn't ask for anything more - we'll be back !Special Features:
- Event at NYAJ DisappointedspendtoomuchonfoodDined on 9/24/2014A beer tasting and free appetizer event had been advertised for the night we visited, but it was not well planned or executed and very little was available. Our waiter had to scrounge to find any appetizers and the beer tasting amounted to one shot glass. We had dinner as well and that was fine - usual quality for NYAJ - good but nothing memorable. Entrée prices have increased over the last couple of years to the point where it is starting to feel too expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality & freshnesssuegeeDined on 9/21/2014We had a great server. The food was fresh, the bread and oil is always a nice touch and sets the tone for a good meal. I love that produce and food are seasonal knowing you'll get the freshest ingredients.Special Features:
- great lunchgwammaDined on 9/21/2014enjoyable lunch on the back patio. great waitress. BEST bread anywhere.Special Features:
- Reliable, consistent, valueKimShoeVIPDined on 9/18/2014NYAJ has been a favorite spot for years. (Newburyport). The were almost closed, but took us anyway ..waitress was smiling and helpful. The best part for me is that their procedure for dealing with allergies is clear. They always have either the chef or Mamager deliver your good to confirm it was cooked without the ingredient you are allergic to. I so appreciate this, because I have a severe allergy to avocadoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun placeNiceSurpriseDined on 9/12/2014The food is fresh and good. It is casual dining at its best. If you are looking for a more intimate place then this is not the spot. However you are guaranteed a good meal at a reasonable price. The service was excellent. The room noise was high but it surprisingly did not make it difficult to have a conversation. When I want a nice place where I know the food is fresh I will goto Joe's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageDitashVIPDined on 9/7/2014Straight outta the 90s with the menu. An average chain American restaurant pretending to be more than it is.Special Features:
- A pleasure every time!Tablefor4Dined on 9/6/2014This is our go-to place with the kids, and have never been disappointed. We took my in-laws there, who are gfod connoisseurs, and they loved it. THEIR GLUTEN-FREE MENU IS FANTASTIC-EXTENSIVE AND TASTY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time - Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Our waiter Ben was awesome! He read our minds and talked about the new sangria, but we stuck with the watermelon because it was refreshing! Less ice would be nice! Seemed very watered down in our pitcher towards the end! All in all great time!Special Features:
- Consistently goodFirsttimethereDined on 9/5/2014We're always confident about bringing out-of-town guests to NYAJ's because the food is consistently good, the Newburyport location offers two scenic options: out back with a water view or out front with a view of Market Square. Waitstaff is friendly even on busy nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always solid!!MikeVIPDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant is in our monthly rotation because it never fails to deliver, especially when catering to a family and a wife with a food allergy. The kitchen is unbelievably accommodating and reassuring when it comes to avoiding an allergic ingredient.Special Features:
- Great Happening LocationAJFanDined on 8/30/2014Dinner at NYAJ topped off a great afternoon of free music sponsored by the local radio station. We were able to sit on the patio and still hear the music as the concert wound down. Our server was very attentive and courteous. The bread and seasoned oil is our favorite and it didn't disappoint our taste buds. Our food was prepared in a timely fashion and cooked to our liking. Very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pjaaDined on 8/27/2014The experience was first rate. From first...on line reservations...to finish...lunch with friends on back patio. The young lady that took care of our every request...she was exceptional and her stunning smile was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday mealmysisterandIdiningDined on 8/24/2014My sister and I enjoyed great sirloin tips meals and a wonderful dessert-Mikes peanut butter thing !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is one of my favorite chainschefgirlDined on 8/24/2014that being said, I think we just went on an off day. The food was great, presentation and quality. Unfortunately it was not served hot like I prefer. Still will go back. Also very affordable.Special Features:
- Great spot in Newburyport PortMomof4Dined on 8/23/2014Always a reliably good meal. Location on Newburyport harbor is great. This is our go to spot for family event on the North Shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- soup andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I brought a friend for soup and . And it was very good, just right. No pressure to choose from the heavy side of the menu. We hit it just before the evening rush, which was perfect. Love that bread too!
- Good food! Make reservations.LiketravelDined on 8/16/2014Friendly service with good food. Family friendly. Ample glasses of wine. We enjoyed the scallops and haddock very much. Salads were small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newbieDined on 8/15/2014Good food , unique menu, generally slightly above average ; great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Joes INaverageDined on 8/15/2014Has great outdoor seating in Newburyport, food was good - I would go back - but its not "great" good for outdoor seating/diningSpecial Features:
- Consistently pleased with Joe'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014We just had yet another birthday dinner here and as always enjoyed the food and ambiance. We go several times a year to Newburyport because it's close by, we like the food choices, and we know the customer is very important here. Great service, very pleasant attentive management, and good food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DougDinnerDined on 8/10/2014The only disappointment is they ran out of clam Chowder , and the whole table was looking forward to it . The rest of the meal and experience was good .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NamelessDined on 8/9/2014Our request for table location was honored. Service was good. Grilled chicken was a little overdone, but otherwise delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific food and viewbillpiVIPDined on 8/7/2014The eclectic mix of food choices make this restaurant a welcome change from other's humdrum menus. We arrived in the middle of a hailstorm and weren't going to sit outside under the tent. However the river views from inside were magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The really good and not so much :0)WandaPDined on 8/3/2014I've been twice and the 1st time was better, from the service to the food. 1st time: appetiezer: spring roll, entree: Chicken Picata, drink: rasberry lemonade. My server was fantastic and the food and drink were difinate 10/10. I even ordered something I thought was one thing, turned out to be something else and they replaced it! It doesn't get better than that. 2nd time: lettuce wrapped chicken (dry), entree: panko crusted chicken (dry) with garlic mashed potatoes (dry) green beans (good). Mango lemonade: warm and didn't have the sugar on the rim as adverticed (had to ask for it :0(. Was inside 2nd time instead of outside like the 1st time both were good (weather cooperated sunny 1st raining 2nd). I'd go back & now know what to order :0)Special Features:
- Great meal and service!LuvnyajDined on 8/2/2014Went there for my free birthday meal and dessert wonderful food relaxing evening even tho it so such a busy sat night in newburyport! Had the rosemary scallops and strawberry shortcake! Delicious! Boyfriend had burger and salad. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free = meat optionsImjustsayinisallDined on 8/2/2014Went to NYAJ because it was gluten free. The GF menu was 95% meat which didn't help because I'm also vegetarian. Waitress seemed aggravated. Food we got was not great... Was bland.
- Revisiting NYAJJFBopDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I had not been to NYAJ since a visit after they first opened. This summer we have been several times and have been impressed with staff friendliness, menu, drinks etc and have had fun every time. We like sitting out back the best.Special Features:
- The following 326 reviews are from the Not Your Average Joe's Newburyport reviews archive.
- late afternoon with outside seatingMichelebDined on 7/28/2014Chose to sit in back outdoor seating as we had seen a band playing in the park. That was very nice. Sangria was good. Pizza was excellent!Special Features:
- always a good experienceHappycustomerDined on 7/26/2014Even if the place is packed - reservation is always within 10 minutes. Great Service/Food. Manager came over to check that everything was good, twice I believe…:) we were there a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check It Out!Mr237Dined on 7/25/2014Wonderfull proof that reservations by Open Table really works! Busy night but seated right away with just my Name! Drinks, service, meals all hit the right notes for me and my wife. And oh that bread!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.